REI Employee Reviews in United States

Fun environment with nature lovers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 29, 2015
A typical day at work would be to go in, interact with customers, help them to figure out what they need for their adventure, connect with them. I learned that despite the bad days, there is always something to smile about because everybody is there because they love the outdoors. Management is great and always understanding of circumstances and can adjust to difficult situations all the time, especially being that the Anchorage location is in a sort of sketchy place in town. Co-workers are always just as enthused about outdoors as you are, there are non-stop conversations about what the next big adventure will be. Hardest part of the job was the fact that you needed memberships to gain hours, which isn't at all hard to do if you get your sales routine down and just promote it! They won't always buy it, but if you keep telling them about it, maybe someday they will. The most enjoyable part of the job is that there are paid days off four times a year for something called a "yay-day". Employees get a paid day off to get into the outdoors and do something they enjoy. It's a pretty awesome place to work and customers were almost always cool because they were always excited for adventure and there were a bunch of people from out of state/country that came in which is pretty cool.
Pros
Constant break room parties, discounts, etc.
Cons
Short lunches, sales goal, etc.
great job for anyone who loves the outdoors
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAJanuary 5, 2016
great co worker and management to help do your job and and do it the right way. they give you all the training you need to get started and its up to you to dedicate yourself to learn the product so you can sell it to the customer
Flexible schedules, great management and staff, paid sabbaticals
Camping Sales Specialist (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 1, 2016
Flexible schedules, great management and staff, paid sabbaticals

Overall great working environment! Recognized as one of the "100 Best Companies" to work for. (I agree with them as being one of the best) Provides exceptional sales and customer service training
Pros
Flexible schedules, great management and staff, paid sabbaticals
Fun work environment
sales specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 23, 2016
I really enjoy working at REI. Talking with customers about up and coming adventures and gear and preparing them for their trips is a blast. The people I work with feel like family. Managers go out of their way to make sure you are getting the hours you need and that your schedule can be accommodated.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
benefits only available to full time employees (managers)
Strong advocates of having a positive work/life balance
Visual Presentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Conshohocken, PAOctober 9, 2015
I enjoyed going to work everyday. The management team and staff were all terrific. I would have to say it is the best company I have ever worked for as far as positive development and also the mission statement of the company itself.
I wish I would have been able to transfer to another location within the company when I moved to North Carolina but the commute would have been too far.
Enthusiastic, motivating workplace with excellent teamwork
Action Sports Specialist/Cashier/Rock Wall Guide (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 27, 2015
REI has been known for it's phenomenal workplace environment and management. The employees are well taken care of and are genuinely enthusiastic about helping customers as a result. The environment encourages teamwork and personal growth and fosters community life.
Great Place to work
REI Sales Associate Trained in all Departments (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 1, 2015
Awesome benefits, fun and exciting work environment, great co-workers, wonderful businesses model! Amazing just Great!!!!!
Very flexible hours and great pay.
Postion- Cashier & Sales Floor Representative (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAAugust 10, 2015
Great pay and flexible workweek hours. I averaged between 25-30 hours weekly. Great culture and training , great products and employee benefits.
Pros
Paid weekly
Cons
I don't really have any cons that come to mind. It was an overall good experience.
Great Work Culture!!!
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAApril 4, 2016
I wish they would hire fulltime permanent positions right off the bat, but they only hire seasonal part time, and if they have openings, well, then you can get lucky enough to get the job, and it would be great if they paid more.
the most enjoyable job I have ever had
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 12, 2015
Fun place to work. Great education available for all hobbies and interests. They actively take care of the local community. Flexible working hours. The customers are members of the COOP and get the benefits of shopping there too.
Pros
Discounts, benefits, free classes, free rental of equipment, fun place to work, very diverse team
Cons
working weekends when its gorgeous outside

Want to know more about REI?

Ask a question
I like REI
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 24, 2015
It's not really enough on its own, though. If you're looking to make a living and excel in life, this probably isn't the best thing but they do have a decent job culture and management does listen.

But, if you love camping and are passionate about getting outside and encouraging an array of people to do the same, then I say go for it. One thing I've always loved about REI, and always will, is they are not openly hostile towards women who enjoy getting dirty and camping.

Product-wise: they need work. I know I just said they are not hostile toward women but they don't seem to have a lot for plus-size women to get started in the hiking or cycling sports. This needs to be addressed and I've said as much.

Co-worker are AMAZING. I love these people and we have our differences but you have common ground with a great deal of them from the get go.

The most enjoyable part is just being able to talk to people about camping. Just sharing my experiences out in the Mojave or on the plains is very satisfying.
Pros
Excellent group of people
Cons
Pay
The best company i have ever worked for!
Outdoor School Instructor (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 11, 2016
great managers, great employees. great perks.

a day at work here was more like a day off. I love teaching people about things I enjoy like hiking, skiing, climbing etc...
Pros
fun environment, work in the outdoors
Cons
not full time
Fun Place to Work
Customer Service & Sales (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 2, 2015
Take this job as seriously as you want. Great culture. Great opportunity to move around to all departments. Easy to transfer to other locations if you move. Can give presentations on outdoor skills you're good at.
Pros
Diversity. Training. Pay increases.
Cons
Selling memberships.
Great for the Outdoorsy Type
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAFebruary 11, 2016
Not much to say, other than if you love the outdoors and enjoy being around others who do this job is for you. Managers, co-workers, and customers all alike are great to be around as they are always motivation for more insight into new activities.
Overall work experience as a customer service part.
Retail Sales Associate; Cashier (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDFebruary 27, 2016
I loved getting there and getting the day started. Working with customers gave me a chance to learn about new adventures or help others learn about some that I have been on.
Pros
Discounts and Family
Cons
Standing
productive learning
Help Desk Support (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJune 8, 2016
we would come in check e-mails before the phone calls start. Our busy time was February we would answer lots of calls per day as well as try respond to customers via e-mail.
Cons
short breaks
Fun Place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAJune 19, 2016
I enjoyed working at REI for the summer. They have great benefits and all their employees are awesome.
Inspire; Educate; Outfit; Lifetime of outdoor adventure.
Operations (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORJune 12, 2014
A retirement plan that doesn't require individual contributions.
Health-care benefits, including part-time employees who work 20 or more hours.
Gear discounts and free gear rentals.
Encouragement of work/life balance.
Outdoor-focused culture that encourages outdoor activity as an extension of our business.
Camaraderie, open communication and opportunity for advancement.
Gear grants to take on personal outdoor challenges.
Community involvement and support for outdoor-focused clubs and non-profit organizations.
Incentive pay program.
Pros
no comment.
Cons
no comment.
Enjoyed working at this facility on a temporary assignment.
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 6, 2016
I enjoyed this work assignment. Would love to work at this company to advance my knowledge, skills & be financially sound.
Pros
Work hours.
Cons
Weather - worked outside.
Good stepping-stone
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 11, 2012
The REI company definitely loves it employees; giving discounts on items as well as company gifts/bonuses. The management team are well trained and willing to work with you in order to have you maintain a work/life balance. They give you 15 minute breaks (that are paid for). This job definitely gives you experience for the retail business.

The hardest part of this job is dealing with customers who try to take advantage of a great return policy or they are just nasty people.

The best part of the job is working with such an ethical company who really shows their appreciation to their employees.
Pros
ethical and company has great benefits even for part-timers
Cons
return policy really hurts overall sales, which affects the amount of hours you'll receive.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at REI. Our community is ready to answer.