REI

REI Employer Reviews

I disagree with work hours reduced
Merchandise Handler (Former Employee), Sumner, WAFebruary 21, 2013
Pros: rf scanner
Cons: reduction of time and pay
I was tired of receiving less time for less pay. Three days sometimes I only worked for four or five hours depending on the direct-to-consumer wave of orders.
Fun work place, bad hours
Picker (Former Employee), Bedford, PAFebruary 18, 2013
I could just listen to my ipod all day while picking out orders and placing them in totes. We wore gladiators to scan the bar codes and automatically enter everything into the system though they could be temperamental. Good work experience, just you weren't guaranteed to get very many hours per week or to even work a week at all.
Part time Stocker once a week
Stocker (Current Employee), Arcadia, CAFebruary 13, 2013
Pros: short snack break, some co workers knows asl, get paid every 2 weeks, stocking light items are fun too!
Cons: i don't work as much as i used to, like every other week, or once a week, don't get paid much, just lack of work hours and paid, sigh!
Clock in at 8am in the morning, and go find some co workers or managers, and ask what I can get started on. I mostly get started on stocking in the camping area at 1st. And then, move up stocking the foods/snacks too! I take short 15 mins break, and go back to work. I even have the huddle before break time too! I learned about the products and the company – more... though. My co workers are nice and friendly, and helped me out, the hard part is carrying heavy boxes, so i have to ask for help to carry them for me. I seem to enjoy stocking foods/snacks the most. Oh yeah, I also stock clothing accessories, like socks, gloves, hats, beanies, belts, and others kinds, I seem to enjoy doing that too! – less
Part time Stocker once a week
Stocker (Current Employee), Arcadia, CAFebruary 13, 2013
great culture, awesome benefits
Bicycle Technician II (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 30, 2013
its more of a culture than a job. the management is very in tune with work/life balance. there is always some type of activity or outing planned for staff to join. health insurance for all employees. if you love sharing your passion for outdoor recreation with others, this place will not disappoint.
Good place
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee), Saratoga, CAJanuary 14, 2013
Pros: great work-life balance, caring and fun staff
Cons: sometimes difficult to maintain hours
REI is a great place for fun co-workers, and good team work and camaraderie. Management is available and supportive; co-workers are also. The hardest part of the job is dealing with difficult customers, but it's enjoyable to help people meet their needs for the outdoors.
Productive, but also enjoyable place to work with amazing people.
Cashier (Former Employee), Maple Grove, MNJanuary 13, 2013
Pros: everything
Cons: none.
Awesome place to work. I work with other employees who respected who I was, they were all kind and helped me out when they could. Management was more than willing to work with me and other coworkers when an emergency or unexpected event happened. I learned everything from returns to exchanges to almost everything a cashier could learn. It was a process – more... to learn the process of doing all these transactions, but both coworkers and managers were more than willing and happy to help out. Awesome, fun filled environment to be in when working, stress free. There were also great benefits and the company always put their worker's and families first, great values and great place overall to work. – less
Productive, but also enjoyable place to work with amazing people.
Cashier (Former Employee), Maple Grove, MNJanuary 13, 2013
Pros: enough break time, meals during break, fun coworkers and managers, benefits for individuals and families, comfortable environment.
Cons: none.
Everyday I came into work, I would be greeted by my awesome coworkers. I learned everything from how to do returns to exchanges to almost about anything you could do as a cashier. The managers were very personal and easy to approach and talk to and stopped at nothing to make sure I had everything I needed and worked with me to make schedule changes – more... if a family emergency or another unexpected event happened. I loved my coworkers and just plain loved the job and the loyal customers that came with it. This company is the best company I have worked for. – less
Liked being active on the sales floor
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Federal Way, WAJanuary 12, 2013
Pros: working with out door type people
Cons: was layed off when sales were down
Learned how to sell the right clothing and foot ware to customer for the intended use.
Enjoyed co-workers as well as customers.
Got out hiking alot more.
Fun workplace that gave back.
Customer Service and Sale Specialist (Former Employee), Schaumburg, ILDecember 28, 2012
Fun workplace that gave back. Day to day work was very fun and rewarding.
REI knows how to treat its employees
Recruiter (Former Employee), Kent, WADecember 24, 2012
Pros: managers know how to manage, and you actually have time outside of work for the rest of your life.
Cons: can be a little hard to move up because no one leaves.
Wonderful people and culture, great work-life balance, competitive pay and benefits ... no complaints here.
customer service
Customer Service (Former Employee), Lincoln Park, Chicago,ILDecember 20, 2012
Worked at customer service. worked as a cashier and also did returns and pickups for customers
Its like being outdoors while i work
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee), Fort Collins, CODecember 19, 2012
Pros: great health benefits
Cons: not enough hours
I really like working at REI. The people are all friendly and like to get outdoors and do the things we all love. Working there isn't a burden because I am able to help people get gear to help them get outdoors.
Good stepping-stone
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Columbia, MDDecember 11, 2012
Pros: ethical and company has great benefits even for part-timers
Cons: return policy really hurts overall sales, which affects the amount of hours you'll receive.
The REI company definitely loves it employees; giving discounts on items as well as company gifts/bonuses. The management team are well trained and willing to work with you in order to have you maintain a work/life balance. They give you 15 minute breaks (that are paid for). This job definitely gives you experience for the retail business.

The hardest – more... part of this job is dealing with customers who try to take advantage of a great return policy or they are just nasty people.

The best part of the job is working with such an ethical company who really shows their appreciation to their employees. – less
A well run business that encourages & lives it's values daily
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee), Folsom, CANovember 13, 2012
Pros: the rei "culture" of positive encouragement. the benefits, and the fact that they truly encourage the outdoor lifestyle!
Cons: only that any workplace can have its "sour apples." however, they don't usually stay long at rei.
I have a cumulative of eleven years working for REI, and I can tell you it is ranked at the top of the top 100 companies to work at for a reason. They expect a high level of performance from all their employees, but they also make the effort to both recognize that effort, and reward those who live it. REI encourages everyone to use the products and – more... engage in the activities the company supports. In most instances, customers will find the employees up beat, friendly, and knowledgeable. Additionally, we usually treat each other like family, with support and encouragement. Not all stores achieve the same level of cohesion, but all will generally provide a step up from the usual workplace environment, and provide an above average customer experience. – less
Great culture and employees
Store Manager (Current Employee), Atlanta, GANovember 12, 2012
Fast paced work enviorment. Allowed to make decisions and take risk. Best part of job is interacting with staff.
REI / Korten
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Romeo, MINovember 10, 2012
Good place to work - management worked well with all levels of employees and involved in daily activities. Laid back environment but all employees were productive. Started as Receptionist and was promoted to Accounts Payable / Payroll Clerk / Purchasing then to Administrative Assistant to Quality Manager and Administrative Assistant to Production Manager.
A Place to Land
Sales Associate - Redmond (Former Employee), Redmond, WAOctober 29, 2012
REI is a find place to work part-time, temporarily, or to land on your feet. However, the career paths are limited and require individuals to be very committed and move. The compensation packages is less than advertised. REI has won numerous awards for it's compensation and they do provide some form of insurance but it is poor at best.
Outdoor sports and clothing retailer specializing in high end products
Sales Specialist (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXOctober 28, 2012
Pros: interaction with like-minded people, employee discount
Cons: scheduled to work less hours than desired
All new hires received extensive training, especially in customer service and in product knowledge. REI is a company built out of enthusiasts who love the outdoors and prove it by spending much time practicing their skills and hobbies. The mission statement is worthy of supporting. Its great to have had such training and be around other people who love – more... what I do. Everyone I work with is pleasant and friendly as well as full of knowledge. Management is ok, very approachable and nice, but not especially overwhelmed by them so far. Lastly the customers are great; most people are happy to be in the store and share stories of where they've been or plan to travel to. They are equally a pleasure to help as well as learn from. – less
Really want to employee to have a work/life balance
Master Technician (Current Employee), Fremont, CAOctober 17, 2012
Pros: work/life balance, discount
Cons: pay is low
Hard to move up unless you want to be a manager. Part time employees dont make much maybe 10hr start. Not too many full time positions, but great place to work as a second job, great perks and discounts.

About REI

REI is a national outdoor retail cooperative, committed to inspiring, educating and outfitting for a lifetime of outdoor adventures. – Read more