REI Employee Reviews

Fast paced environment with lots of advancement oportunities.
Sales Specialist/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Timonium, MDJune 29, 2016
It's a retail job. The only good part about it is that you can share your outdoor stories with customers that actually can learn from you.
Pros
Pro-deals, friendly staff, surronded by outdoorsy people
Cons
retail, busy customers, rude customers, Customers
Fun work environment
sales specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 23, 2016
I really enjoy working at REI. Talking with customers about up and coming adventures and gear and preparing them for their trips is a blast. The people I work with feel like family. Managers go out of their way to make sure you are getting the hours you need and that your schedule can be accommodated.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
benefits only available to full time employees (managers)
Fun Place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAJune 19, 2016
I enjoyed working at REI for the summer. They have great benefits and all their employees are awesome.
Adventurous place to work
Banker, Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 14, 2016
Great environment to work in and cross-training.My favorite part of the job was learning to bank and learning to snowboard, rock climb, and properly hike.
productive learning
Help Desk Support (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJune 8, 2016
we would come in check e-mails before the phone calls start. Our busy time was February we would answer lots of calls per day as well as try respond to customers via e-mail.
Cons
short breaks
The best company i have ever worked for!
Outdoor School Instructor (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 11, 2016
great managers, great employees. great perks.

a day at work here was more like a day off. I love teaching people about things I enjoy like hiking, skiing, climbing etc...
Pros
fun environment, work in the outdoors
Cons
not full time
Flexible schedules, great management and staff, paid sabbaticals
Camping Sales Specialist (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 1, 2016
Flexible schedules, great management and staff, paid sabbaticals

Overall great working environment! Recognized as one of the "100 Best Companies" to work for. (I agree with them as being one of the best) Provides exceptional sales and customer service training
Pros
Flexible schedules, great management and staff, paid sabbaticals
A fun place to work
Customer Service and Footwear Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 26, 2016
The typical day at REI would consist of helping sell products to customers that need gear for outdoor pursuits. Much of the day consisted of customer service or preparing the sales floor by replenishing stock that had been sold.

The take-away that I had from this job experience is working with a wide-variety of people with different personalities. Learning how to understand the needs of a customer, and finding the products that would best-suit their needs, and enhance their experience in the outdoors with their purchases.

The best part of working at the is company is the colleagues that I worked with. Many have become life-long friends even though I haven't worked there for many years.

The hardest part of this job was probably during store-sales periods that had many customers in the store and being able to help as many as possible, yet provide good customer services.

The most enjoyable part of the job was having customers come back to thank us for helping them select the best gear for their outdoor adventures. There was a satisfaction in being a small part of helping them achieve their goals.
Pros
People, gear, fun environment
Cons
Salary
Great Work Culture!!!
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAApril 4, 2016
I wish they would hire fulltime permanent positions right off the bat, but they only hire seasonal part time, and if they have openings, well, then you can get lucky enough to get the job, and it would be great if they paid more.
Great place to work and the perks were awesome.
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAMarch 21, 2016
Over all it was a great place to work, but it was hard to move up. A lot of favorites played in upper management. It would be a great starter job for anyone in college or someone fresh out of high school.
Pros
Volleyball, horsehoes at lunch. Also discounts on product second to none
Cons
Management was not pro active and hard to move up

Want to know more about REI?

Ask a question
Fun and Encouraging Work Place
REI Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAMarch 9, 2016
Every day I worked was a new learning experience. My coworkers were always helpful and management answered any questions I had. I gained product knowledge and learned more about the outdoors. The hardest part of the job was continually retaining and learning about products and where they were in the store, because displays were continually changing. However, being able to share my knowledge and experience with others and help them find what they needed for their adventure was extremely rewarding.
Pros
flexible breaks, great environment, passionate employees
Preferred
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  BrentwoodMarch 6, 2016
REI wants the best employees in the city or retail employees that are interesting. This job can pay your bills. Purchase a car and work another full time job. Recommend the job to people who will present at work day to day time management.
Pros
intellectual
Cons
pretentious
Fantastic, retail experience. Highly recommended.
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Hanover, NJMarch 2, 2016
There's always something to do and the customers are fun. My store had and continues to have tremendous leadership and co-workers. There is support available if a person wants a career with REI, no matter the division. Pay is good for retail although hours may be limited for anyone less than a stellar performer (which is expected, so perform)
Pros
Culture, perks, people, activities, customers
Cons
May not be sustainable full time or interesting in the long term.
Great place to work, not great pay
Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  United StatesMarch 1, 2016
I am a sales Lead at REI (first promotion). The pay is not enough to live comfortably. I am currently working 2 jobs for roughly 60 hours per week to make sure I can pay my bills. I do receive benefits since I am full time (32-40 hrs/week), which are nice. I also receive 401(k) with profit sharing and Summit Pay. Summit Pay is a bonus that everyone gets depending on how well the store/market did.
Pros
Discounts, work culture, co-workers
Cons
Pay, some overnight shifts with no shift-diff pay
Easy going work place, friendly coworkers
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAFebruary 29, 2016
I worked at REI seasonally from anywhere 4am-2pm. A typical day would start by answering phones and placing orders from customers. I learned how to manage multiple screens, and transferring phone calls to different departments. The management was very easy going, and very helpful. The coworkers I met there in those short months were some of the best, and funniest people I've ever met. The hardest part of working in a call center was dealing with rude customers over the phone. It is easier to be rude when you can't see the face of who you're talking to. The best part of the job was getting inspirational, motivational calls.
Pros
OT was approved most of the time.
Cons
Selling credit cards.
Overall work experience as a customer service part.
Retail Sales Associate; Cashier (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDFebruary 27, 2016
I loved getting there and getting the day started. Working with customers gave me a chance to learn about new adventures or help others learn about some that I have been on.
Pros
Discounts and Family
Cons
Standing
Fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Timonium, MDFebruary 24, 2016
Great work place with fun people. The work life balance is awesome management really cares about the team. the hardest part is going home .
Noble mission and values that often don't trickle down
IT (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAFebruary 12, 2016
The best employees and customers around matched with mid-level management that collectively hasn't found a way to do them justice. I'm still holding out hope for what could be.
Pros
Co-op, Mission, People, Customers
Cons
Management incentives
Great for the Outdoorsy Type
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAFebruary 11, 2016
Not much to say, other than if you love the outdoors and enjoy being around others who do this job is for you. Managers, co-workers, and customers all alike are great to be around as they are always motivation for more insight into new activities.
People are really nice there but horible place to work at
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Bedford, PAFebruary 11, 2016
If your lucky you might get 2 or 3 days whole week and only get 10-15 hours at best usually only get 5 to 10 hours all week.management is horrible I wouldn't even call this a job. that's why I left this place take my advice don't work here at all find somewhere else.
Pros
Employs
Cons
Low Hours, managment almost everything about this place

Ask a question about working or interviewing at REI. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3