REI

REI United States Employee Reviews

An OK place to work
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee), Rockville, MDOctober 17, 2013
Pros: good benefits, nice work atmosphere, decent pay
Cons: wildly varying schedule, work most holidays, pay, although decent, is still too low to survive without another job.
The lack of a guaranteed schedule from week to week offsets the wonderful aspects of working at REI. Advancement is difficult (it's quicker to get hired from outside than go through their endorsement procedures for Management level positions).
REI does have very good benefits - insurance and retirement plans from day one, even for part-time employees, discounts, sick leave, etc. - and it does pay a little better than most retail companies, but in the end, it is still retail, and does not pay a "living wage" for a single person.
Really great atmosphere
Call center sales seasonal employee (Former Employee), Sumner, WAOctober 9, 2013
I was hired on as a seasonal worker and enjoyed my time with this company. REI provided in depth training on products and systems.
Best job I've ever had
Customer service specialist (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 5, 2013
Pros: fun place to work
Cons: customer service can be frustrating.
One of the best retailers to work for. Hands down the best job I've ever had.
Fun, creative environment. On-the-job growth opportunities. Excellent benefits.
Product Information Researcher (Former Employee), Kent, WASeptember 21, 2013
Pros: top-notch healthcare, on-site cafe, locker room with towel service, bike storage
Cons: outdated technology tools
Researched product information to create compelling online content.
Learned about a wide array of outdoor gear and apparel, individual brand tenets and proprietary technology.
Management provided solid leadership. Self-motivated employees completed work without micromanagement.
Most challenging aspect of the job was tackling inventory spikes, when workload could double overnight.
Most enjoyable part of the job was collaborating with team members to create an engaging shopping experience, with exceptional product information so customers would enjoy selecting gear, with confidence that their purchases would help make the most of their outdoor adventures.
Care about and advocate for the outdoors; great co-workers!
Senior Copywriter (Former Employee), Kent, WASeptember 13, 2013
Co-workers are the best. Energetic and friendly. Hard to get ahead and they have experienced some growing pains lately with changes in leadership. Benefits are good.
This is a great company and the commute was minimal
Customer Service (Former Employee), Sumner, WASeptember 11, 2013
Pros: great training prior to starting on the phones
Cons: unpredictable and erratic work hours
Although this is a great company; the year that I worked there was the beginning of financial difficulties for the country so the hours ended up being very erratic and unpredictable so it wasn't as pleasant of a work experience as I had anticipated. The training prior to working on the phones was exceptional.
Positive and fun place to work!
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Mountain View, CAAugust 21, 2013
Pros: fun place to work with great people, good employee discounts, great outreach program
REI is considered one of the best companies to work for. I enjoyed the staff as well as collaborating with the other managers. It's a company that exsposes it's managers to all aspects of managing a big box retail store. It's a great career steping stone at any position level.
Great people and fun environment
Frontline Associate (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 20, 2013
Pros: good work/life balance
For the most part you deal with happy customers, that share similar interests with the employees.
A Co-Op that really Cares
Customer Service Specialist, Bookkeeping (Former Employee), Dublin, CAAugust 16, 2013
Pros: the company cares, showers for coworkers who run/bike to work, prodeals, food provided or potlucked on huge sale weekends and holidays
Cons: spending half your wages on the great stuff they sell, it's retail so expect part time retail hours until you move up in the company.
Fantastic: benefits, work environment, coworkers, management, company policies, and products.
Very competitive wages.
Plenty of opportunities for advancement. We had people move from sales associate to management within 1-2 yrs. If you are amazing at your job and you're motivated enough, you will get promoted within your store or at another one close by.
They encourage a very healthy life/work balance. Its all about the experiences that you get while using their products.
For example as long as you give them a month + notice, they actually want you to take that week long camping trip, or run that marathon, or kayak down that river. Take pictures and share when you get back. Better yet use the knowledge you gain from it to help you sell the products they carry or even sign up to teach a class in store.
There really isn't anything bad about this company, you're really going to LOVE working at REI!
Great management fun work environment!
Sales Assistant (Current Employee), Boston MaJuly 26, 2013
Most of my work at REI consists of helping customers either by assisting them find the right product for their needs or by ringing up their items. I have learned how to deal with difficult customers by remaining positive. The management team is very fair, understanding, and always provides helpful feedback. My co workers are all wonderful, friendly, and helpful. The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers that are just in a bad mood that day and it doesn't matter what you do they are just going to be mad. The best part is when a customer comes back and tells you how great the product you sold them was.
Very interactive and fun staff
Outdoor School Instructor (Current Employee), College Park, MDJuly 9, 2013
Pros: interactive work, enthusiastic staff, great company mission, free gear (t-shirts, backpacks, hats, etc)
Cons: low pay, minimal hours, no opportunities for advancement in the company
I stepped into the REI instructor position knowing there was an opportunity to move into a manager position for the outdoor school rather quickly. This was due to the position that I held in the outdoor program at MSM University which qualified me for the manager position. The position was filled by someone else and I was left to a low paying job with minimal hours. As an REI outdoor instructor in teach classes to clients that want to know how to use the gear the the retail side of REI sells.
ok if you are young and don't need an income.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Denver, COJune 19, 2013
Pros: discount on product is good.
Cons: can't raise a child and work here with availability requirements. doesn't pay a livable wage.
Interface with alot of people, some wonderful, some overly demanding and snobbish. Learned retail is a thankless underpaying job. Management is more concerned with their status than helping improve conditions in the work place.
Fun Job
Operations & Action Sports Sales Associate (Current Employee), TustinJune 3, 2013
REI is a great company!
I'm a cashier and sales associate.
My co-workers are awesome!
Working in customer service can be draining at times since it's primarily listening to people's complaints all day.
The most enjoyable part of my job is that I get to teach others about outdoor activities and I see my friends on a daily basis.
Great Place to Work
Sales Specialist (Current Employee), Lynnwood, WAMay 25, 2013
Pros: work/life balance, great benefits, fast paced energy
Cons: wages leave something to be desired, very difficult to be promoted from within the company
I love working for REI. The environment is so welcoming and our team is like family. We are always learning from each other and creating new opportunities to explore the outdoors. As a rock climbing, kayaking, and hiking enthusiast I feel privileged to have such great products at my fingertips. Work/life balance is very important to me and is encouraged as an REI employee. I have great medical and dental coverage even as a part time employee. I work with each customer to find the best product for their next adventure.
Good Work Environment
Retail Sales Manager (Current Employee), East Hanover, NJApril 29, 2013
REI is a great place to develop skill sets for a retail career. REI management supports staff growth and offers ample opportunities for employees to learn and participate in store operations.
Great work place, happy employees and customers
Customer Service Specialist - Worked at front line (Former Employee), Timonium, MDApril 23, 2013
My favorite part of REI was the culture. Everyone on the staff is friendly and unique, and brings something special to the team. Everyone was treated equally, and everyone's opinions were received and respected. Customers love coming to REI. I constantly encounter customers who request a specific employee simply to thank them for their help during a previous visit. People come to the store and end up staying for hours. It's got a great atmosphere--very welcoming.
Don't Walk Talk
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Medford, OregonApril 5, 2013
Pros: fun, high quality stuff to sell in a nice physical environment.
Cons: you are part of a math equation.
I was excited to get hired having heard all about what a great employer REI was. I was assured of management's dedication to my success as an employee. I began to be concerned when our loss prevention training focused strongly on employees, with assertions like "you can't outsmart us and we will catch you" (interesting team-building strategy). Further concern when two of our new managers took better jobs with other companies barely after opening. Transfer employees complained of having to move for advancement, then not even getting enough hours to be able to afford gas money. Then, the vagaries of scheduling. Short hours, random shifts, and all tied to minute by minute store performance reports. In over six months I have not been asked to meet with any manager re my own performance. Along with everyone else I got a memo re slowed sales, seasonal transitions, etc. (but absolutely no layoffs!). Still a bunch of us just dropped off the schedule, some for several weeks at a time-with no face to face. Yeah, retail is seasonal and unpredictable. From my perspective REI has nothing on Walmart when it comes to respect for workers. From management perspective everything literally has a $ superimposed on it and workers are just another commodity. I admit to feeling more than a little anger as I write this. Maybe I should avail myself of our EAP! I do rate company benefits at two stars.
impending lawsuit for sure
operations supervisor (Former Employee), carle place, nyMarch 28, 2013
Cons: illegally fired, unhappy employees, almost 90% management turnover
While working at REI, our store endured racist slurs from our SM, spying, discrimination, cursing, screaming and insults. There was massive turnover, at our store, and little to no response from HR. The ASM at the time, another supervisor, and several employees and myself presented our case to HR. There was no action and no response. I would sometimes catch our SM spying on employees outside through security camera, or creating fake reasons to terminate employees she didn't like. Every single day I feared for my employees jobs and my own. Even our ASM, who had worked for REI for 5+ years, felt so threatened he was speaking to HR every single day. There was no action taken. I went on a medical leave, as was fired WHILE on my my medical leave. If I had the resources to sue, I would. In fact, the employee who was promoted to my role after I was terminated, has also faced the same issues. She and several other employees have recording, records, and written documents demonstrating what I wrote above... and STILL HR has taken no response. Nothing has been done. I can say without question, that 90% of the employees at that store are miserable, hate their job, and only stay to keep a steady paycheck. This is the worst, most ineffectual company I have ever worked for, and I would be surprised if they have a massive lawsuit on their hands shortly. To add on to that, they just without warning laid off the ENTIRE COMPANY'S assistant managers and outreach specialists. They offered anyone in either of those role a continued job if they were willing to step down into the role of a sales specialist or supervisor, with a paycut, or simply fired them. I think that speaks for itself.

June 9, 2013

I am was just let go yesterday. I was with REI since last March in the customer service department. I was exemplary in all aspects of the job. My metrics were excellent in all areas. About six weeks ago i gave my store manager a note from my doctor stating i needed an accomodation in the form of a stool from the bike shop due to a back problem only if I was too work longer than 8 hours. On May 31st I didn't see a mistake on a customer's check and I had to call her in to give us a replacement. She came in with a replacement less than an hour later. It was fixed. I thought everything was fine. I worked several shifts and unfortunately hurt my back at home and missed two days of work. Came in to work on Saturday worked five hours of the garage sale and was called upstairs and told I was being terminated. I had had one previous financial mistake and with those two things put together I was not detail oriented enough for them. Yikes! If I was a financial liability why was I allowed on the register for multiplle shifts after this transgression. Why didn't they attempt to move me to a different department? I was loved by my co-workers and customers alike. This company takes a stand on discriminatory issues that have no place in business ie. LGBT support yet they have no problem discriminating against you if you have even a minor physical issue. I loved REI's diversity and culture but unfortunately they Don't take seriously the bad decisions their managers make. light

A Marvelous Work Environment
Frontline Cashier (Former Employee), Conshohocken, PAMarch 15, 2013
Pros: health benefits, solid pay
Cons: inconsistent hours, level of advancement
REI has the most brilliant group of people I've ever worked beside. On a regular day I'd work the register and greet the enthused customers.They really compliment the work environment since about 80% of them are members of the REI Co-op membership program. This is by far the best aspect of the job. The worst would have to be the inconsistent hours that vary by the season and the small level of advancement within the company.
Great Place to work with excellent benefits for you and family
Cashier (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAMarch 15, 2013
great friendly work environment great employees and managers. great beliefs and culture.

About REI

REI is a national outdoor retail cooperative, committed to inspiring, educating and outfitting for a lifetime of outdoor adventures. – Read more

REI Salaries