Reliant Energy Employee Reviews

Great place to work and enjoy nature
Safety/environmental Instrumentation technician. (Former Employee) –  Port St. John Fl.November 21, 2012
This plant is located on the Indian River directly across from Kennedy Space center. I enjoyed its close relationship to all the endangered animals and its location to KSC. I performed numerous duites as a safety representative and instrumentation technician. I enjoyed the electronics and would have liked for the plant to continue operations. It would not meet new EPA requirements and as such it was closed. I was considered highly experienced and consulted on all mayor electronics installations and repairs. On a typical day, I would walk the plant to oversee safety operational rules were being observed. I would sometimes trouble shoot instrumentation and perform repairs and installation. I would also perform calibration. I would also observe the numerous endangered animals located on site and make sure they were not threated by construction or daily operations. I also became trained in bird, oil rescue and how to prevent oil spills.
Pros
i supervised myself, i was allowed to perform my safety reviews without being restricted by management, i enjoyed working close to nagture, i enjoyed the work conditions and my co-worker.
Outgoing, frequent contact with customers, success based on self sufficiency
Crew Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 27, 2014
A typical day consist of meeting at the office, receiving designated sales territory, participating in daily training clinics, going door to door in the field and completing sales directly with the customers. Regional management was always busy dealing with corporate issues that they did not help sales agents with daily problems that they were having. My co-workers were for the most part great and very helpful but there were some issues with the younger agents not following the rules or working like they should have been doing. The hardest part of the job was overcoming all of the customers objections and completing sales. The most enjoyable part of the job however was having the freedom to do the job at your own pace, and that you ultimately were responsible for your own success.
Pros
at your own pace, and being paid based on the amount of effort you're willing to put forth.
Cons
contractor with no benefits
Great place to work, great people to work with.
Bilingual CSR/Sales Retention (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 6, 2015
A lot of call volume from Spanish speaking and English speaking customers.

I learned to operate answering system and SAP system to keep track of customers and perform a plethora of transactions to expedite customers requests.

Management and coworkers were awesome and seem to be cut by the same pattern, with positive attitude and willingness to serve and help customers in all their Reliant Energy needs.

The hardest part of the job was not being able to please the customer when the customer was not eligible for an extension or pay at a later time without getting the electricity service interrupted.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to ensure that by the end of the call the customer was guaranteed to have a smile in their face.
Pros
Free coffee, sales incentives $$$, sales competitions for trips and $$
Cons
A lot of talking, if you don't like talking too much, it's not for you.
Enviroment very Kaotic and unstable.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Austin,TxJanuary 22, 2014
Each morning my day would begin be 1st prioritizing my call back that I have scheduled and follow ups with potential customers. Then I would strategically execute my calls based on time zone and the notes provided on the contact. Mostly I had to gather information regarding when the customers contracted expired with current energy company and get them into a fixed rate which was fair based on usage. We all work as a team sometimes we would tag team on sales just so the customer could here the prospect from another person so the they be comfortable about there decision. The hardest part was getting a hold of the actually decision maker and the best part was closing a sale and exceeding quota.
Pros
very relaxed enviroment and you worked at your own pace and the commission.
Cons
not having updated informantion on potential clients
Time sensitive work
Key Segment Services Lead Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston TexasFebruary 23, 2014
Time sensitive work with daily service levels that had to be met, yet there were not enough employees to achieve this goal everyday.

Too many other projects and poor management of the team to be productive and meet customer needs.

I learned how to multitask and many other skills that I would not have learned if we had not cross trained on many different levels.

There was never time to advance or train on anything outside our group because we could never complete our work due to always being shorthanded.

I enjoyed most of my co-workers and when we were allowed to have fun and work at the same time it made the day go by faster.
Pros
plenty of overtime due to the workload
Cons
micro managed and made everyone uncomfortable.
Hit or Miss
Outside Sales Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 2, 2015
READ THE CONTRACT BEFORE YOU SIGN.......I do Door2Door sales, its pretty simple, learn the product (sells itself), always have a studious and positive mentality and go out their and get paid. Its full commission so you have nobody to blame but yourself. Some people hit the ground swingin, some people start off slow and progress, some just quit because they cant handle or they aren't able to goto work everyday not knowing whether or not they'll get paid...................Helps you a lot if you're thinkin about a career in sales, you'll see lots a funny/crazy stuff and learn a ton. Its what you make it.
Pros
Unlimited Earning Potential, Room for Growth
Cons
No base salary or benefits at all, Managment is bad with gas allowance among other things
A reliable and proactive individual with 10 years’ experience in Call Center Environment, and with 4 years’ experience working in Small Business / Res
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 18, 2015
Using SAP to create new accounts received by electronic faxes, contacting customers when needed to completed applications. The process of multifamily accounts and single family accounts. Management was fair across the board. Co-workers followed the company polices and respect each other. Leaving the building with two elevators in time to catch the metro bus. Not enough work to keep busy. Able to use your cell phone to read text and listen to music..
Pros
able to choice shift
Cons
no free parking
Productive hard work, strict deadlines, very analytical.
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 10, 2014
My day was filled with promoting compliance amongst my team of analysts. I learned the importance of time management and meeting strict deadlines. The hardest part of my job was that the business rules changed often, which created challenges. My co-workers were very interactive and pleasant. The most enjoyable part of my job was generating productivity and getting a positive feedback from management and subordinates.
Pros
fun luncheons and activities with managers.
Cons
heavy workload meant less interactions amongst co-workers.
Productive and great work
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2012
The day was good overall making a sale or not i always keeped a positive attiude towards everybody. I learned a lot of custer service talking to about 35 to 45 people a day. The management was good i was working my way up to become one. My felow co-workers were a very good team members when its came down to the point to reach our goals. The hardiest part of the day are making sales, if you didnt make any sales you didnt get paid good at all. The most enjoyable part of the day wa sthat my team members would always keep their head up high no matter the good or bad.
Reliant Energy
Sr. Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston TXOctober 12, 2015
Working at Reliant is very fast pace and demanding. Sometimes it feels like there is more work than a person can handle. However, I found this is typical for a Financial Analyst...always numbers to crunch, summarize, report, analyze, review, scale back, modify, revise and on and on.

The IT department had many projects going on and ample resources to do the work. The position of financial Analyst allow learning more about the various projects indirectly and yet feel like you were contributing to bottom line.
Pros
Parking paid
Cons
Lots of long hours
Very Productive
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 20, 2012
A typical day included taking and posting payments to clients accounts for electric bills. registering customers for discount or other promotions if applicable. Answer questions about bills. I loved my coworker they where very sweet. The hardest part was learning the systems and how to navigate them. The enjoyable part was just comfortable atmosphere which made the workplace and job just a joy to be at. I never missed a day.
Pros
employee appreciation, the pay, benefits
Cons
no overtime
Internal Sales Manager.
Internal Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 11, 2013
• Supervised sales and service to all internal small commercial accounts
• Recognized as #1 manager in sales production for all divisions.
• Developed and maintained key relationships, community events, and programs with several area chamber organizations.
• Provided information to customers regarding products, pricing, and availability.
• Handled all deregulated areas of Texas.
• Ensured product dependability for customers and resolved customer issues.
Productive Fun work
Territory Account Manager/Sales Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 12, 2014
Great experience, I was able to learned more than I expected, From training to human resource, new hire. started as an outside sales rep work my way into my own office account manager, which did the new hire packet, training, scheduling. I was over 5 Sales Managers plus each manager had 10 Sales reps, that I had to keep track of there paper work and payment scales. Make sure the reps got paid.
Pros
free lunch for new hires
Cons
healthcare
Harrassed and threatened daily
Commercial Sales Consultant/ Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 12, 2015
This is an awful company to work for. The pay is non existent and the management is terrible. It is the blind leading the blind. Constant text and phone calls throughout the day, if you do not respond you get harassed even worse and constant and relentlessly being threaten if you do mot "make a sale" you will be terminated. You are given 2 weeks from hire date to make a sale. If you go 2 weeks without a sales you are gone.
A strong company to work for.
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 22, 2012
Typical work day was always busy and learning something new. I larned about Altiris deployment server, hardware installations, software installations, Helpdesk applications such as Active Directory and Remedy. Co-workers were very helpful and courteous. Hardest part of job was dealing with micro-management. Most enjoyable part was workng with such a great group of people and benefits were tops!
Pros
benefits.
Cons
micro-management.
Productive Work place
Business Services Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 15, 2012
Reliant has an over all great work place due to recent managment changes a few core valuse and view we changed and significantly lowered moral cause a decrease in productivity. i learned a lot of valuable technology, the hardest part of the job actualy was the parking in the downtown area. The most enjoyable part of the job was the recognition given for achieve and exceeding goals
Pros
incentives and bonuses
Cons
managment
Large retail electric provider in Texas
Energy Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  West TXJanuary 23, 2014
I started with the company at beginning of Texas deregulation and the culture at that time emphasized team work and a spirit of learning. Colleagues and management were supportive, innovative, edgy and challenging - we fast became the industry's leading talent with a diverse and exciting book of business. I left after the 2009 acquisition and unable to comment on current corporate environment.
Interesting experience
Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 30, 2014
I worked for Reliant Energy for a few months to gain some sales experience. However, I found out that working on commission was very difficult especially when individuals had no interest in your products. But it was a great experience in dealing with a variety of people and you are still able to gain some clientele with experience and diligence.
Pros
sales experience
Cons
walking long distances, neighborhoods may be unsafe
Customer Call Center
Customer Service Rep/Sales Associate/Management (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 26, 2013
My first call Center experience is very remarkable. I never knew how much actually went into offering customer service over the phone. The feeling I get after I have helped someone is heartwarming, to know that because of me they are able to continue enjoying their electricity.
Pros
customer satisfaction
Cons
job security, work hours are unflexible with student life
GREAT working place
sales (Former Employee) –  SKADecember 4, 2012
I have nothing but great things to say about Reliant they were a classy Company
learned how to work EXCELLENT in mircosoft Excel,Word
all my co-workers where nice and helped me out when i first got there
hardest part was learning how to do the paper work at first but with the help of my co-workers it became simple
Pros
made a nice amount of money hrs where great
Cons
having to work in outside sales