Reliant Energy Employee Reviews

I worked at Reliant Energy Twice
Executive Secretary to Vice President (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 7, 2018
I would never work there again. The culture of that company is just horrible. I would not recommend this company to anyone. I worked the last time at the beginning with a very great guy who brought me in to organize a department, then they put him over another department and brought in a horrible person to run the department.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
horrible management
Productive and fun work place.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 1, 2018
Working for Reliant NRG Energy was an eye opening experience. I traveled for free and was able to meet people from various walks of life. I really enjoyed my time working with the company.
It was a pleasant experience working with Reliant Energy.
Highly motivated energy sales representative (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 26, 2017
It was a sales position that was discontinued from our sales team through our corporate department.
I maintained my sales goals as required, but our program of outside sales was deleted through upper management.
Pros
Setting up your leads from a directed area from the corporate level.
Cons
Trying to convince potential energy customers to switch over to a new energy plan/rates.
Fun and interactive workplace
SALES AGENT (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 16, 2017
In my time working at Reliant, Everyone was marvelous. The management was awesome. The opportunity to grow wasn't as fast as they stated and when doing more work with no compensation, Anyone will leave. Over all Reliant is a great place to work.
Third party
Outside Sales & Acquisition Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 14, 2017
I worked in sales through a third party. This program no longer exists as the production didn't reach expectations of the contract with Reliant. This job is no longer available
no micro management
Reliant B2B Sales (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 2, 2017
No room to grow upward. You are in the same position forever. Commission structure is good but the health benefits or lack there of are horrible. I didnt have health insurance for the first 2 years. The last year I had health insurance and it was 400 per month..just for me.
Pros
weekly pay if your are contracted
Cons
no real health benefits for less than $400 per person
Very business workplace
Product Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 10, 2017
Its a serious workplace with not much fun but innovative than others. Changes happen quickly and is cyclical. People always come and go. Senior management is not risk friendly.
marketing job inside grocery stores
SALES (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 27, 2017
basically just have to talk to random people and get them to sign up with reliant energy, you get commission for each person you sign up not sure if it was hourly or salary, i think hourly because we had to clock in
Productive and fun work place
Marketing Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 7, 2017
Working at Reliant is a fun and productive work place. Everyday is different at Reliant and as an employee you get to wear many hats and take on many different responsibilities.

On the down side, Reliant has company wide layoffs every 6 months and does not have a clear promotion track for their employees.
Very difficult to overcome challenges, 300 competitors and different "languo of each company which we were mostly offering same thing and benifits
Customer service/sales (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 21, 2017
I did not like this job. All the employees worked individually at separate locations which there was no support systemic was a confusing and unclear product to sell as well as very misleading to customers.
Pros
Learning new stuff and meeting people
Cons
Misleading customers, very confusing
What i learned
Commercial & Residential Acct/Contract Specialist. (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 25, 2017
After working a number of years in sales with different pipeline products and supply companies and also with Reliant Energy (now NRG), I realized that that was not the line of work for me.

So, I traded my tie for a hard hat :)
Will never look back.
Confidence builder to talk to strangers
Dispatcher/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 19, 2017
Convince personnel of a lower rate and convince them to save money on a monthly basis. Communication skills is a must along with time consumption is the key to success. Easily adaptable but not everyone can master the skill of great communication skills.
Very structured company with little job security. Company has layoffs often.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 17, 2017
The company is very structured and does not allow for flexibility. However, I was able to learn from others within the company and training sessions provided. The hardest part of the job was wondering if you would be laid off. I survived three lay offs, prior to being laid off myself. However, I know of a couple of people being laid off after 30 years or more. The company seemed to loose it's loyalty for its employees.
HL&P coal plants
MAINTENANCE MECHANIC - Class A (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77001July 6, 2017
We had a very good apprenticeships program for power plants at the time.They had the best work practices and training for a reliable power plant.Team work and safety was always first.
Pros
Great memories
Cons
lost friendships
Enjoyed working at Reliant part-time
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 3, 2017
While working at Reliant energy, I handled inbound phone calls from members regarding issues with their electric services, I assisted in payments, connecting services and disconnecting services.
N/a
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 26, 2017
My work day at reliant was very complicated but I love the effort I have to put forth to convince someone to switch light companies for a cheaper rate plan.
Productive and fun workplace
Door to Door Salesman (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 20, 2017
Everyone at Reliant was very motivating. It was a family like atmosphere because everyone wanted to see the next person be the best that they could be
Pros
Free breakfast, promotions, bonuses
Good environment
Sales agent (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 8, 2017
My typical day at work was waking at 8 a.m. get to the office for training till 11 a.m. After, go eat some lunch till 12 p.m., then head to work on whatever territory given. I would walked door to door and speak to every person qualified for a change on their light company. I would work for 8 hrs. Monday - Saturday and had Sundays off. The hardest part of the job for me, was probably the walking because we were in the sun the whole day till night. The fun part about it is that I got to meet many different people and I got to learned a bit about them. Also, You had to close your client very well making sure they wouldn't change back to their company in order to get paid for that sale.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No breaks
n/a
Tier II Retention Lead/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 30, 2017
a great place to work friendly and great culture. The upper management team and CEO were always present. This was one of the most memorable and favorite places to work.
amazing
Sales Representative/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 27, 2017
Very understandable with family issues.
you get paid time off and also commotion, I would definitely go back to work with this company if I still lived in the same city.