REM Iowa Employee Reviews

Consistently Inconsistent
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, IAOctober 12, 2015
Since I started working with the company 6 years ago, it has become almost a whole new working environment. With changes there are always good and bad things to come with it. The higher-up constantly state they want the employees feed back but in all actuality they like to hide changes that are coming until its too late to inform the employees to get said feed back, which ultimately ends up with a significant employee lost.
Pros
Vacation, sick, time personal float time
Cons
Balancing work and home life, No/lack raises
Fun when working with individuals
DSP (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJune 11, 2016
I worked night shift at REM. When I would come in individuals would be in bed or getting ready for bed. I would mop the floors and clean the bathroom. In the morning I would get them up and showered, breakfast, and medications before they left for work or if they where going out with family
Pros
Individuals where fun to be aroun
Cons
No advancement at the company
loved the clients that i took care of
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAAugust 25, 2016
The company was disorganized and did not function professionally.
I loved the job itself and what I did as a Supervisor and the clients we served however the head management was very unprofessional.
I love REM!
CLIENT FINANCIAL SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, IAOctober 19, 2015
REM Iowa is a fabulous company to work for! If feels like family. If you mess up, and we all do at some point, they help you through it and help you get better. I left my job as an Administrative Assistant to take a job that gave me 40 hours per week and a little more money. In exchange, I did not have the benefits that I needed for my family. When my current position became available, I applied and was hired. I don't want to leave now, but I still work two jobs and really who needs that?!? I want one job so I can have a regular life with my family, but I need the vacation/sick days and other benefits I currently have with REM. I am spoiled here, but want only one job.
Pros
Great vacation, sick, and other benefits, family atmosphere
Cons
Low paying
Great job with flexable schedule
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Avoca, IAApril 12, 2016
I enjoy working with REM Iowa.
The daily tasks are easily accomplished. As a working mother I appreciate the small work load and benefits provided.
Pros
Flexable schedule
Cons
Not my preferred career choice
Rewarding job that has its downfalls....
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAAugust 25, 2015
I absolutely LOVE REM Iowa for introducing me to such a rewarding, and FULLING occupation that I before knew nothing about. My sister was diagnosed with Bi-Polar Schizophrenia back in 2009. After she was on medication for a couple months, she jumped off the Arsenal Bridge and killed herself. I was left with no knowledge or explanation. Working for REM, I gained clarity and a sense of...closeness with these individuals. With that being said, I tend to notice things that others may not...and I guess that's me trying to stick up for REM still but like I said, its because of Them that I've found my passion. I just feel as though REM should be a little bit more "picky" as to whom they decide to hire. Working with these individuals require you to have compassion, empathy, and just plain niceness. Some REM employees tend to lack these things...that's all I'm saying. Don't shoot the messenger.
Pros
The individuals/clients
Cons
The co-workers
Clients are amazing, co-workers and management could use improvement
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids IowaDecember 28, 2012
A typical day at work for me would be going in at 10 pm until 7:30 am-9am. I would watch TV, read, clean the client's home, do client's laundry, pass meds, help make breakfast, wake client's up for school or work, provide bed checks which just consist of making sure each client is sleeping and healthy.

I have learned so much about specific disabilites, how to help others when they aren't able to prefrom specific tasks. I also learned how amazing the human brain/body is. If one part doesn't work how the other parts try and accomodate.

Management-Well more time could be foucsed on problems that need fixed instead of who and how much overtime time there is. If you have a problem no one is willing to help you or listen to you. Too much personal drama that is brought into the work place from management and coworkers.

Co-workers are young, inexperienced, and immature. 99% are not willing to come to work on their shifts, help when on shift, or help pick up hours or other tasks.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with 18 year olds just out of high school that just wanted to sit around and do nothing but get paid or not even show up at all.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the clients. They are such a joy and fun to be with even on challenging days.

It's either very hard or very easy and for stupid reasons you can get fired. So watch out you are on the verge of being fired all day everday for the littlest things.
Pros
paid training, great benefits, great pay
Cons
co-workers and management
if helping others is something you like then this is the place
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, IAJune 25, 2015
good work enviorment
the management is good
most people are fun to work with
having the patience
the faces on the consumers faces when they see you
It was a great way to be introduced to that field of healthcare.
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, IAJuly 20, 2014
My typical day at work included assisting two elderly men with their medication and then finding creative ways for them to enjoy their time until dinner (both had a some mental disability). I would cook and serve a healthy balanced meal and then they would help with cleaning up of the kitchen and dishes. If something was planned ahead made sure that they would be there on time. If double-staffed my co-workers and I would split the responsibilities and focus my attention on one of the guys. Most enjoyable time was when we had outdoor activities and the guys would really enjoy their time outside. Hardest part of the job was dealing with an outburst and finding a way to help them keep calm.
Pros
gas compensation
Cons
short breaks
okay
dps (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 9, 2015
manage was there for favorite employees.it was not a good fit for my in the long run it was great for the client and they are good people.
Pros
food
Cons
no breaks

Want to know more about REM Iowa?

Ask a question
I've learned a lot
Direct Cares (Current Employee) –  Iowa City, IAMay 9, 2012
Rem is an okay company to work with. I've learned a lot from the company and love what i do. Going into a house that i work at make dinner, do laundry, clean house, make sure the consumers are showered, and helping with personal cares that ia a typical day at work.

I've learned a lot at my job. I've learned how to be patient with my consumers and other, I've learned how to do things in different ways,

Management -
It wasn't the best but we got threw.

The hardest part of my job would be being patient with the consumers when they have a break down because its hard to see them like that.

The most enjoyable part of my job would be seeing my consumers smile, it's the best thing ever.
Pros
knowing that you're doing something for others
Bad Place if you want to make a life working in this field and move up the work latter
Program Coordinator / Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Urbandale, IASeptember 20, 2015
No communication! Hold things against their staff until ready to fire them without any disciplinary action that had been taken.
Don't work for them
Lead Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 16, 2015
REM Iowa has a great philosophy when it comes to caring about people. However, this is not practiced. There isn't much evidence that they care about the individuals they serve or their employees. Each person is disposable.
love my coworkers
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAOctober 8, 2015
Most everyone is a team player. My supervisor is amazing and understanding! Great attitudes and they care for me and my life.
Wonderful supervisors, excellent work schedule, fun team environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Avoca, IAJuly 25, 2013
Review time cards for missed punches and resolve. Answer phones, make copies, create and update files. Make sure all certifications are up to date.
The office has a fun, family environment. Co-workers and management all work together as a team.
The most enjoyable part of my job is payroll. It could be called the hardest also; I prefer to call it the most demanding; but I love it.
A flexible enviornment.
DSP (Current Employee) –  Johnston, IAJune 4, 2014
The days are very different all depending on what is on the schedule. Med;s need to be passed regularly each day. the management is OK and not the greatest but its not as bad as I have had at other places. I enjoy how rewarding the job is but its not so rewarding on the pay check. You can go above and beyond and no one will ever notice anything.
Pros
free time and its rewarding
Cons
pay and benfits
Rewarding watching clients progress.
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mt Vernon IAJuly 16, 2015
Assist with clients daily living and other needs. Learned different ways to communicate with all individuals. Co-workers make a great team.
Pros
Great co-workers and always ongoing trainings.
Cons
due to 24 hour services no breaks
Productive,providing companionship to people with disabilities
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Coralville, IAMarch 22, 2015
A day at work consists of providing companionship to our clients, being there for them, giving them care. My co-workers are great people to work with, we all get along well with each other. The hardest part of the job would be not knowing how to handle a behavior situation, the most enjoyable part would be seeing and interacting with the clients.
Fulfilling job where you get to interact and effect the daily life of another person
Direct Support Provider (Current Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IowaAugust 20, 2014
My clients get off the bus and I greet them, they tell me about there day at work, we spend an hour or two just relaxing and conversing, than I usually ask them to run their goals and assist them with their chores for the day, I aid them to prepare dinner and clean up, often we go to different places (parks, stores etc.).
I've found through this job that working as a team makes life so much more productive for us and our clients, there's a strong community within the dsp's at REM. The hardest part can be lack of communication, but it can usually be resolved. I enjoy being a part of my clients life and helping them with living life to their fullest potential.
productive place to work
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Glenwood, IANovember 16, 2014
could be better at organizing schedules. listen to your staff and talk to the face to face instead of other staff first.
Pros
get to work with amazing clients.
Cons
management

2.7