REM Iowa Employee Reviews

Amazing place to work
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Keokuk, IAAugust 20, 2017
I loved everything about working at REM Iowa!! I loved the management. Within a few months of starting, I got the hours I wanted. The one con of the job is there is no room to move up (in my area).
Pros
Paid trainings, decent wage, great management, 401k
Cons
No room to move up
Yeah
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 4, 2017
Zxzx It's a great job and offers a rewarding experience. The things I've learned and learned to appreciate will never leave me. It is a great job and I would recommend it to anybody
Wonderful Individuals Terrible Management
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, IAJuly 28, 2017
A typical work day would be picking the individuals up from work, taking them home, giving them a snack, doing any basic hygiene skills with them, do laundry, cook dinner, assist to bed, documentation until night shift comes. I learned a lot about different care levels individuals may require and how to accomplish these with minimal assistance. I learned the importance of communication and teamwork. The management was very lax. My supervisor was great but her supervisor was horrible and not organized which led to me quitting the job in the end. In the individuals home, its a wonderful environment. The hardest part is probably when an individual is having a bad day. The most enjoyable part was spending time with the individuals and learning from them.
Pros
Wonderful individuals, decent hours, easy documentation
Cons
horrible management, delayed paperwork completion
Sometimes stressful, sometimes easy as can be
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Coralville, IAJuly 16, 2017
The job depends on your attitude. If you set out to hate the job and the individuals, you're in for a bad time. There are some days that are grueling and exhausting, but more often that not, it's a fun job that pays decent.
Pros
Community outings, benefits, great individuals
Cons
No raises, always short-staffed, can be very stressful
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Marshalltown, IAJune 30, 2017
I liked working here. The work was great and so were the people. The only thing is my schedule was changed without my knowledge. Otherwise I would recommend
Pros
Paid gas
Cons
Breaks
Reward job to work with the clients
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlantic, IAMay 10, 2017
Being there and watching your clients achieve their goals is one of the most rewarding parts about this job.; They have 3 to 4 different shifts in each home. Some of the clients stay home during the day some go to work. You help them with daily living every day from cleaning to cooking to making their beds.
Pros
Helping the clients achieve their goals
Cons
No time for family. Changes all the time
Not good management
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  IowaMay 2, 2017
Management doesn't care about complaints, vacation, etc. Never get a raise. Don't get paid enough to do daily tasks that are required. Terrible health insurance.
Pros
help individuals
Cons
management, pay
Flexible hours with decent pay
Assist individuals (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, IAMarch 31, 2017
The best part about working for REM is their flexible schedule. I am able to work part time with REM while managing another job. Overnights can be great if you have the right clients. Definitely worth looking into if you want to make some extra money and help others. However, management needs a lot of work.
Program Coordinator
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAMarch 19, 2017
Provides all essential management needs for clients living in group homes with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities as well as clients with traumatic brain injuries.
lots of hours and fun people
Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Atlantic, IAMarch 9, 2017
I loved this job. It was very fun, flexible, everyday was different, and the people you worked with were awesome. The hardest part was that I had to work a lot.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
overworked
Great managment and advancement always avalible
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Shelby, IAFebruary 23, 2017
There is never a dull moment at REM Iowa. The pace is wonderful and there is always things to do. I learned to take care of people and how not to be scared of disabilities. It gave me the chance to open my eyes to just how great people can be. it put me in a great mood everyday knowing I could help. The management is out of this world and always willing to help with anything they can. I believe the hardest part of the job for me is truly understanding what people needed when I first started at REM. However, once I got in the swing of things I became confident and open to the opportunities the job has given me. Though I am still working on my CMA I look forward to advancing in this career and others like it.
Pros
Great pay and benifits. Everyone seems to be like a family and there is always room for advancement.
Cons
This job is far from home and there isnt alot around if something falls through.
Wonderful clients
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Des Moines IowaFebruary 7, 2017
I have worked for REM Iowa for almost 5 years. This company does not allow any employee to receive a raise at any time. There is a lot of people that are in an out but the clients are amazing and it feels really good to help them
Pros
Clients
Cons
Pay
nice place
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Marshalltown, IAJanuary 26, 2017
This is a great environment i loved working here knowing that i could help people with disabilities makes me feel good. Lots of patience is required but worth it.
fun place to work
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJanuary 23, 2017
the management team will do anything to help their employees and the company will match on your 401k. The pay is not the best but worth it to help those in need and to work with fun-loving coworkers
Pros
the hourly rate is low
Cons
flexible hours, kind staff teams, daily outings and adventures
the days are always different
Helped them grow and thrive as a person (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJanuary 13, 2017
This is a job for people who love helping others through the rough time. I loved the people i took care of I went to there home and help them with daily living. You never know what going to happen on a day to day basis. If you love helping people this is for you.
Pros
almost always some where to pick up
Cons
Always short staff
Very rewarding work
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, IAJanuary 5, 2017
This was honestly one of my favorite jobs. It was very rewarding work. It gives much satisfaction to be able to help individuals who aren't necessarily able to help themselves. I did not like the hours, because it made it hard to have any family time. Most of the time, other co-workers were great to work with.
Pros
Rewarding, and a 'feel-good' job
Cons
Lengthy hours
ok experience
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Keokuk, IANovember 1, 2016
I was provided with excellent training. The company branch I work for is not run well. I feel the company does not appreciate the employees, but provides average pay compensation.
fun workplace
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Coralville, IAOctober 24, 2016
i love working for this company. loved the clients and my coworkers. great experience to have. was hard to leave..............
Pros
helping clients
Cons
some stressful situations
Place of empowerment, and movement within company
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAOctober 16, 2016
Great place to work. You get to provide care to an abundance of different clients, no two days are ever the same. To me, the best part about this position, was getting to work in all the aliases, and getting to make those connections with all the individuals. One of the hardest parts about the job is that you are always going to be putting your clients first, I've become a full time mom with in the last 3 months of moving up in the company. But its rewarding on its own.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Demanding at times
Horrible place to work
DSP (Former Employee) –  Des MoinesSeptember 28, 2016
This company is for profit company. With in 1 year my wage dropped $2.00 per hour and cut 2 hours a week. No body can live off their 10.75 hour wage you will have to get a second job.

They have no pay increase, no sick time and you earn 2 hours of vacation a month.

They pay you on the 10th and 25th of the month. The weeks are chopped up to ensure no over time will be paid.Their pay periods are the 1st of the month to the 15th of the month then from the 15th to the end of the month.

You have been warned. REM only wants to make money and not share it with their employees.

Non profit is the way to go.
Pros
Cons
everything.