Renown Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews

Regional
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMay 15, 2017
Renown Regional is a great place to work. Very friendly people and lots of room to grow. They offer tuition reimbursement and great benefits. You can also pull a lot of overtime there.
Is a good place to work is so what busy all the time and this bring dress, but if you have a good partner to work with your day will be good.
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 29, 2017
I been working for renown for almost 10 years , and I can say that is been one of the better place I have work . However, like in any other place working in a nursing department is hard and stressful at times. It requires a lot of patience and passion to do what you do.
Cons
Short breaks if any. Sometimes
great people
Day shift staff RN (Current Employee) –  TelemetryMarch 18, 2017
The staff is amazing, great teamwork, pays the lowest in town for RN's, managers listen and do what they can for their employees, no shift or weekend differential.
Going to work everyday was a pleasure
Medical Biller (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 3, 2017
A typical day at work interacting with various insurance companies so I learned a lot . Also with the patients and how to help them with how there copy's work.
Pros
Getting to explore new things about the medical field and how the billing works
Cons
The training
Good for getting experience, not the long haul job
Neonatal Transport RN (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 20, 2017
Renown hires a lot of nurses in this area, but has discovered over the years that they can fire experienced RNS and replace them with new graduates. Since I worked at Renown, I have not had an effective manager, and they seem to do very little for staff.
Bad management
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Reno, NV. Sierra TowerFebruary 10, 2017
Bad training, most employees in department only been there less than a year (that tells you something) lots of office politics, co-workers don't want to help other co- workers it's all about themselves, management just sits in office doesn't know what's going on & who's doing what or not doing. You get dirty looks from co workers for using the bathroom, some co- workers are on cell phone half the day and not working. I can go on and on.

Don't work at RENOWN waste of time!!!
Pros
A few nice co-workers (two)
Cons
To many
Terrible management, no time off
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 29, 2017
I worked for renown for 8 months and had 3 different supervisors. All of which were horrible. The turn over rate was ridiculous. With the loss of people meant mandatory overtime and compensation for the loss of employees. Maybe had 2 days off a month. Overall horrible place to work.
Horrible human resource department and horrible hospice management
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 23, 2017
Im a registered nurse who just terminated employment at Renown. Horrible place to work.Punitive human resource department who does not know what they are doing and can't keep most registered nurses for long. Stay away!
Pros
Pretty place
Cons
No breaks, terrible management
Favoritism, unprofessional uncaring management
Cook (Former Employee) –  Food and nutrition servicesDecember 30, 2016
I spent quite a few years there as a cook, I worked really hard to get out of that place. In 7 years I had 4 different managers, they all get fired eventually but not before doing serious damage to the department and taking jobs from so.e great people. The entire company loved me being that I served them in the cafeteria and cared for them, but being good at what you do and well liked and respected by everyone working there means nothing to this company. If you dont play games and entertain the egos of the incompetent management you will become a target. They dont care about your livelihood, I have never seen such a high turnover rate anywhere, not only in the kitchen, but all over the company. I know the whole company is this way because I've met so many people from all departments while working there, everyone is suffering except those who stroke the ego of the managers. If you are smart, hardworking, and a real person, don't put yourself through the misery of working at Renown, you have no voice and no rights as a human when you work there.
Pros
High pay, good benefits
Cons
Your high pay and benefits will not last they force good people out
Nice work enviroment
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 16, 2016
I worked night shifts and it was always a nice balance of busy and down time. I felt respected by all my peers and I enjoyed helping others and learning every time I worked.
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Short breaks, sometimes no breaks at all
Supervisors do not care about you at all. Everyone treats you like garbage.
Patient Transport (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVNovember 23, 2016
Supervisors are very unprofessional and by far the worst I've ever had (worse than food industry). Everyone treats you like garbage, including nurses. Even when you do all the work for everyone, they still step all over you and supervisors never give any positive feedback. Had several issues within the Patient Transport department and the supervisors and management team never could fix or even attempt to fix the issues. Really sad to say that this Patient Transport job has ruined my experience at Renown and working at hospitals overall. People in charge of Patient Transport are seriously the worst and most unprofessional people to work with. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS JOB TO ANYONE AT ALL!!!
Pros
Cons
Just about everything
A disgrace to healthcare
Laboratory (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 28, 2016
Employees are hardworking and there is a sense to provide good work, despite the constant use of fear tactics to keep employees in line. They put on a good show and say they are interested but the only difference they are trying to make is one to keep their own jobs and will stop at nothing to prove their own righteousness.
Laboratory is desperately short staffed and has a high turnover rate. Constantly training new employees and students which further burdens technologists. Current employees fear advancement to leader positions as it is widely known that the abuse and accountabilities only increase with responsibility. There is no succession planning and most decisions are made by winging it. Overtime is high with little concern for working conditions. Management is operating in the dark and has no concern for employee’s other than they are producing the work. Mistakes are tolerated if it’s deemed that management has control of certain employees, but others are not tolerated as frequent use of negative reinforcement propagates fear and distrust. Staff satisfaction Surveys are conducted annually, why? Because the upper management is not skilled in employee engagement and development. Most employees blanket these surveys with false positive information as they are afraid that management would actually attempt to make things better. Historically, management’s resolution is to coerce employees into admitting negligence and then terminating them. Hence, no benefits, no unemployment benefits, and further suppressing any suspicions that there is really no sense of
  more... direction or leadership in the department.
HR polices are vaguely written and not enforced equally. HR business partners only support the management and cannot be used as a natural party to actually resolve issues.
If you have the means seek employment elsewhere, Reno might be nice to relocate if you like the outdoors, but working here does not afford the opportunity to enjoy your life or family.
Pros
You will find other employees to share in your misery as most are unhappy
Cons
Lack of professionalism and ethics, care and concern of the patients is marginal and completely lacking for employees
Not best place to work -under staff in lab , supervisor , manager are unprofessional and uncontrol temper
Clinical Laboratory Scientist Senior - Generalist (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 7, 2016
UNDER STAFF AND LOTS OF TURN AROUND TIME . LAB EMPLOYEE ARE LEAVING FOR BAD MANAGEMENT .Not a great place to work. If you have an opinion or if your a strong minded individual you will be targeted by the director and hr. Save yourself the agony and stress from working for this company. LAB SUPERVISOR AND MANAGER ARE LAZY , UNPROFESSIONAL AND CORRUPT.
Pros
Free out side parking
Cons
Unprofessional and unpatience lab supervisor and corrupt
upper management only cares about the bottom line. toxic work environment.
ER staff RN (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMay 26, 2016
co-workers very nice and hard working. really care about the ER patients. Can be a good place to work if you find your sweet spot. ER management are great. Administration only cares about bottom line. floors and ER dangerously under staffed. I did like the fact that the upper management did their best to move patients out of the ER and on to the floors fairly quickly, (even though this adds more patients to the floor RN's care). The only constant at Renown was change. seems they try to add new policy changes on a monthly basis to help increase patient satisfaction, save them money or promote the marketing of Renown with new certifications. Don't expect to stay employed at Renown for more than 5 years as they will force you to leave only to be replaced by a grad student at a lower pay.
Very advance
Registered Nurse (BSN) Full time as Med Tele/ICU (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 28, 2016
I enjoyed working at this hospital. It is a very advance hospital and it provided me to good skills as a new nurse to carry on for the life time of my nursing career.
Beware
Director of Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 16, 2016
I hope things are better at Renown now that they have a new system CEO and COO at the Hospital. I was a Director and worked for the COO after she terminated the VP who had brought me in. She really was a nut job. She had been promoted up through the ranks by the system CEO. The Hospital CEO, who is still there was a good guy, but may have felt as though he had his hands tied in dealing with the COO due to her relationship with the CEO.

The system was in serious financial trouble. They got so desperate that they even stopped matching employee contributions to the 401K. I have always managed finances well. However, I also understand the importance of having adequate staffing to maintain a clean environment and provide timely services for clinicians. I submitted reasonable budgets that were rejected out of hand. Approved budgets were very unreasonable. No wonder there had been three Directors in the previous five years and they've had at least two Managers (they downgraded the position) since I left.

Human Resources was a major problem. A number of Managers and Directors, including myself had voiced concerns about the COO. She displayed manic behavior, favoritism and intimidation tactics on a regular basis. There were far too many Leaders at Renown who knew nothing, but Renown. Promoting from within can be good, but sometimes it's better to bring leaders with experiences at a number of organizations in to offer new perspectives. Let's just say that I did not feel comfortable speaking my truth. I suspect that HR Leadership was afraid to rock the boat. This
  more... mentality contributed to the problems that led to the CEO's downfall.

Hopefully, things have changed and are changing for the better, but it takes time to change culture. I do not want anyone to walk into the situation I did with people yelling at one another, broken equipment, inadequate staffing, inadequate inventory of basic supplies, etc. I worked very hard and left things much, much better than when I arrived, but there was much more work to do. This was the worst experience in my career. I respect people and expect to be respected. The situation at Renown is a text book example of a Board of Directors neglecting their responsibilities. They should never have given the system CEO and his COO at the hospital as much latitude as they did. Many people, including patients suffered as a result.

The only reason I am writing this is to forewarn those thinking about relocating to go in with your eyes wide open. There are MANY good people at Renown. Hopefully, the new team in the C-Suite is giving their leadership team the resources they need to be successful and LISTENING to their leaders who are closer to the front lines. Ask questions, take a look around and be cautious. Good luck!
Pros
location, community
Cons
Lack of Administrative support for the Support Services Division (historically)
wonderful management
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 21, 2016
wonderful culture, management was outstanding. Great flexible work schedule. wonderful learning hospital, everyday something new can be learned.
a lot of careers opportunities
Senior Insurance and Claim Specialist Lead (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 13, 2015
Great Management team for the Managed Care Department at the business office. Great team to work with and set depatment daily goals No retirement benefits
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not a great training
Result oriented Hospital.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVAugust 23, 2015
Super Nursing Supervision. Employee, employer relationship is strong through different communication channels.
Employee growth is possible through education facilitation.
Renow is a great place to work.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVAugust 20, 2015
It would be a great place to work. It was a friendly and professional environment. I hope to employed there soon. Every is there to help each other and make patients comfortable and provide great care.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Renown Regional Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8