Renown Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

A disgrace to healthcare
Laboratory (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 28, 2016
Employees are hardworking and there is a sense to provide good work, despite the constant use of fear tactics to keep employees in line. They put on a good show and say they are interested but the only difference they are trying to make is one to keep their own jobs and will stop at nothing to prove their own righteousness.
Laboratory is desperately short staffed and has a high turnover rate. Constantly training new employees and students which further burdens technologists. Current employees fear advancement to leader positions as it is widely known that the abuse and accountabilities only increase with responsibility. There is no succession planning and most decisions are made by winging it. Overtime is high with little concern for working conditions. Management is operating in the dark and has no concern for employee’s other than they are producing the work. Mistakes are tolerated if it’s deemed that management has control of certain employees, but others are not tolerated as frequent use of negative reinforcement propagates fear and distrust. Staff satisfaction Surveys are conducted annually, why? Because the upper management is not skilled in employee engagement and development. Most employees blanket these surveys with false positive information as they are afraid that management would actually attempt to make things better. Historically, management’s resolution is to coerce employees into admitting negligence and then terminating them. Hence, no benefits, no unemployment benefits, and further suppressing any suspicions that there is really no sense of
  more... direction or leadership in the department.
HR polices are vaguely written and not enforced equally. HR business partners only support the management and cannot be used as a natural party to actually resolve issues.
If you have the means seek employment elsewhere, Reno might be nice to relocate if you like the outdoors, but working here does not afford the opportunity to enjoy your life or family.
Pros
You will find other employees to share in your misery as most are unhappy
Cons
Lack of professionalism and ethics, care and concern of the patients is marginal and completely lacking for employees
Not best place to work -under staff in lab , supervisor , manager are unprofessional and uncontrol temper
Clinical Laboratory Scientist Senior - Generalist (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 7, 2016
UNDER STAFF AND LOTS OF TURN AROUND TIME . LAB EMPLOYEE ARE LEAVING FOR BAD MANAGEMENT .Not a great place to work. If you have an opinion or if your a strong minded individual you will be targeted by the director and hr. Save yourself the agony and stress from working for this company. LAB SUPERVISOR AND MANAGER ARE LAZY , UNPROFESSIONAL AND CORRUPT.
Pros
FREE OUT SIDE PARKING
Cons
UNPROFESSIONAL AND UNPATIENCE LAB SUPERVISOR AND CORRUPT
Very advance
Registered Nurse (BSN) Full time as Med Tele/ICU (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 28, 2016
I enjoyed working at this hospital. It is a very advance hospital and it provided me to good skills as a new nurse to carry on for the life time of my nursing career.
Beware
Director of Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 16, 2016
I hope things are better at Renown now that they have a new system CEO and COO at the Hospital. I was a Director and worked for the COO after she terminated the VP who had brought me in. She really was a nut job. She had been promoted up through the ranks by the system CEO. The Hospital CEO, who is still there was a good guy, but may have felt as though he had his hands tied in dealing with the COO due to her relationship with the CEO.

The system was in serious financial trouble. They got so desperate that they even stopped matching employee contributions to the 401K. I have always managed finances well. However, I also understand the importance of having adequate staffing to maintain a clean environment and provide timely services for clinicians. I submitted reasonable budgets that were rejected out of hand. Approved budgets were very unreasonable. No wonder there had been three Directors in the previous five years and they've had at least two Managers (they downgraded the position) since I left.

Human Resources was a major problem. A number of Managers and Directors, including myself had voiced concerns about the COO. She displayed manic behavior, favoritism and intimidation tactics on a regular basis. There were far too many Leaders at Renown who knew nothing, but Renown. Promoting from within can be good, but sometimes it's better to bring leaders with experiences at a number of organizations in to offer new perspectives. Let's just say that I did not feel comfortable speaking my truth. I suspect that HR Leadership was afraid to rock the boat. This
  more... mentality contributed to the problems that led to the CEO's downfall.

Hopefully, things have changed and are changing for the better, but it takes time to change culture. I do not want anyone to walk into the situation I did with people yelling at one another, broken equipment, inadequate staffing, inadequate inventory of basic supplies, etc. I worked very hard and left things much, much better than when I arrived, but there was much more work to do. This was the worst experience in my career. I respect people and expect to be respected. The situation at Renown is a text book example of a Board of Directors neglecting their responsibilities. They should never have given the system CEO and his COO at the hospital as much latitude as they did. Many people, including patients suffered as a result.

The only reason I am writing this is to forewarn those thinking about relocating to go in with your eyes wide open. There are MANY good people at Renown. Hopefully, the new team in the C-Suite is giving their leadership team the resources they need to be successful and LISTENING to their leaders who are closer to the front lines. Ask questions, take a look around and be cautious. Good luck!
Pros
location, community
Cons
Lack of Administrative support for the Support Services Division (historically)
wonderful management
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 21, 2016
wonderful culture, management was outstanding. Great flexible work schedule. wonderful learning hospital, everyday something new can be learned.
a lot of careers opportunities
Senior Insurance and Claim Specialist Lead (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 13, 2015
Great Management team for the Managed Care Department at the business office. Great team to work with and set depatment daily goals No retirement benefits
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not a great training
Result oriented Hospital.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVAugust 23, 2015
Super Nursing Supervision. Employee, employer relationship is strong through different communication channels.
Employee growth is possible through education facilitation.
Renow is a great place to work.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVAugust 20, 2015
It would be a great place to work. It was a friendly and professional environment. I hope to employed there soon. Every is there to help each other and make patients comfortable and provide great care.
Chiropractor took care of his employees
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Moline, IlAugust 14, 2015
He had a hard time keeping receptionists but it was most likely because he couldn't employ enough people or pay them enough either. He took care of you if you were loyal to the job. I opened up the office and closed it Monday through Saturday. I worked all day every day, but I also got a lot of free lunches and free chiropractic care whenever I needed it. He was willing to give raises if you showed dedication and eagerness to learn.
Pros
free lunches and raises when due
Cons
long hours, many days
Productive work place in a good environment
Intern for Renown Skilled Nursing (Former Employee) –  RenoJuly 28, 2015
I enjoyed my time with the Social Services Department at Renown Skilled Nursing. I conducted research on social and financial services or resources concerning healthcare and the elderly population. I collaborated with other faculty members and staff at interdisciplinary team meetings to discuss planning and appropriate individual patient care. I also conducted psychosocial assessments on patients to evaluate the individual’s social and psychological status. I administered the Minimum Data Set (MDS) assessment to patients to evaluate the individual’s cognitive and functional abilities. I provided support for the patient and/or his or her family regarding any issues pertaining to the patient’s healthcare decisions or end of life concerns. Furthermore, I assisted patients and/or family with accessing available resources and services to obtain unmet needs and life necessities such as medication, food, water, and shelter. I also referred patients to other agencies for supplemental support not provided by Renown Skilled Nursing.
Unprofessional Management in CVICU-Dangerous staffing-Understaffed-High Turn over
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  CVICUJuly 22, 2015
I was a Travel Nurse at this facility and it should be shut down. CVICU nurses are given 1:3 patient assignments with critical drips and DKA patients. Management is HORRIBLE and UNPROFESSIONAL. This floor is unorganized without lifesaving supplies and critical drips and medications accessible when needed. Assignments are unsafe affecting positive patient outcomes in life and death situations. I know of one patient who lost his life due to negligence. Approximately 15 nurses walked out on this floor..and unable to keep a manager over a year for approx the last 5 years. I overheard 2 doctors on this floor talking about money...disgusting with lack of regard for human life. If you are a compassionate and intelligent medical professional with morals...this is not the place for you. I would be interested in joining any ongoing lawsuit or getting a petition signed by all staff who have been fired or forced to practice unsafely by this hospital.
Pros
All travel RN's and staff RT's were great.
Cons
To many to list.
A great place to work
Nuclear Medicine Technologist (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 6, 2015
I enjoyed working here. I was one of the largest hospital in northern Nevada and provided great variation in day to day tasks.
Very busy hospital
Secretarial Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 26, 2015
I worked as an administrative secretary for the Quality and Risk Management Departments within a large, trauma II level hospital and I loved the challenging nature of the work, interacting with both patients and medical personnel, and helping the hospital's mission to improve the way that quality care was provided to their patients.
Pros
Great environment, energetic workplace, friendly staff
Cons
Lack of coordination and communication between departments
Unprofessional, Vapid, Moronic Hospital
Clinical Laboratory Specialist Rotations (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 2, 2015
I worked for Renown for about 3 years. Saw more turn-over in that time than the Tet Offensive in Vietnam! Shocked by how petty and unprofessional ENTIRE Management team at Renown is. Shocked and dismayed. Long term employees have had their souls sucked dry by the horrific treatment by their supervisors at this place. If you are great at what you do, Renown is NOT for you. They've spent millions on "PR" for this corporate RAT-hole of a "hospital". The CEO was fired for ripping off the Cardiologist here for Gods sake. THE CEO!!! They sued for millions and got it. Then he left with a 900K + salary for the next 3 years. The rot goes completely throughout the whole company! They need to do a 100% human resource house clean and start over. The Head Chef is a dishwasher with a large paper 'chef hat' who was promoted up the line by nepotism. Lead Clinical Lab Assistants working here that barely have a 3rd grade reading level. Real talent in any department will quickly want to move along as they realise they're in a "Midnight Express Turkish Prison" and their not going to walk around the "Renown Prayer Wheel" of submission to incompetent, shallow, lazy Renown lifers that have their jobs, not because of work ethics, or results, but because they have been "putting up with everything and going along for years. I enjoyed my work because I love what I do and for the sake of doing a good job, but never in my life have I worked with "the bottom of the barrel" type employees as I found here. NOT what I thought Renown would be like when I joined the team. Again, I have to emphasis that I was  more... honestly shocked how UNPROFESSIONAL I found this place to be. Upon my Exit Interview, at H&R chatting with other's that had been there (some for as long as 15 years) they all confirmed and agreed on my observations here. Save yourself for a better employer, Renown is absolutely not a good place for smart, hard working, honest Health Care PROFESSIONALS.  less
Pros
some great people still work here.
Cons
management is rotted to the core. no ethics~everywhere.
Productive and fun workplace with food and drinks.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 25, 2015
I had lots of lots of fun volunteering at Renown Regional Medical Center and I was able to listen to my music whilst I volunteered.
Pros
listening to my music.
Cons
taking out the trash
I liked the new things I learned
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVNovember 4, 2014
I really loved learning the new things I learned and I would have loved to learn more.
Pros
knowledge
Cons
lack of training and lack of job secuirty
Rewarding work
Imaging Tech Aide (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVNovember 3, 2014
Your work is very rewarding here, you know you your work is very important and that you are making a difference every day.
Pros
benefits, cafeteria
Cons
can be grueling and sad
Inexperienced management
Registered Nurse, General Surgical Unit (Former Employee) –  Reno NVOctober 6, 2014
Management is inexperienced and not helpful towards staff.
Corporate vision
Public Safety Operations and Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 18, 2014
Hands down the hardest part of being in a management is the supervision, motivation and mentorship of staff. Understanding a the corporate vision and establishing a positive working relation ship with all levels in the culture can in my opinion be the second hardest part of being a manager. In an investigative or loss prevention the visions for your department ids often times a hard sell to management. I have learned that establishing an open dialog and a strong working relationship with all levels of management is key not only in achieving the goals and objectives of your particular department but also demonstrating that the end result of my teams efforts will demonstrate a ROI and contribution to the company's bottom line. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is to watch staff grow in productivity and business savvy under my mentorship.
keep calm and carry on
Technician Education Coordinator/Staff Technician (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 25, 2014
Renown formerly known as Washoe Medical Center, if you want to work there keep your mouth shut and your head down.

2.8