Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Employee Reviews

Provides an interactive experience with people of different ethnicities
Office of Dean (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYDecember 31, 2015
The typical day consists of guiding and assisting students with whatever needs they have. With the wonderful help from upper management, you can learn how to assist students as best as possible. The other staff members are just as helpful with any needs or questions you need help with. The best part of the job is being able to interact with a large number of people on a daily basis. The hardest part is fitting the work schedule with your class schedules. Although, that in itself is not so difficult.
Pros
Friendly, interactive
Cons
Fitting with class schedule, short hours
Great Material Science department supportive of graduate studies
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYJuly 17, 2016
A small yet historied material science department with helpful and welcoming faculty and staff at notably dictatorially run university
Helpful and qualified staff
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2016
Working as a research assistant while completing my MS. The faculty and staff are really helpful.I was able to participate in different projects relating to different aspects of lighting.
Bad for me, but likely good for many others
PhD Student (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYAugust 17, 2015
There is an extremely poor sense of work/life balance between my research expectations and teaching commitments, to the point where I have totally lost interest in a long-term commitment here. I formally voiced my mental health concerns to the administration in an attempt to create a more feasible workload, but was dismissed because "that's the way things are currently run here." Graduate-specific counseling services were non-existent, and the undergraduate counselor I was speaking to was unable to offer adequate support.

I will concede that RPI does have its share of enthusiastic and well-intentioned people, and my experience is likely a reflection of the particular individuals that I was required to be in regular contact with, because I came out of this school much unhappier than I was when I began.
Cons
Inadequate mental health counseling for graduate students
Very professional research environment
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYMarch 8, 2016
Collaboration between areas of study are common with publications from work becoming a norm. Great equipment and funding for most research projects.
Typical day at RPI
Executive Administrator (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYJuly 1, 2015
The department I worked in was really great, the staff had a great family feeling, as well as the students. When it came to crunch time to get the proposals done, finances in place, it was all business. The gym on campus allows you to burn off the stress. The sports and other activities with the students made working there really fun and great for the family.
Pros
Each department is run differently, was fortunate to have great bosses
Cons
The politics of the campus weighed down the happiness of how it should have been
Teaching science biweekly at a local special needs high school.
NYSERDA MENTOR (Current Employee) –  Vanderheyden High SchoolMarch 30, 2015
Twice a week, my co-worker and I would drive to a nearby special needs high school to teach science to a small group of interested students with their teacher. Main duties include introducing and explaining concepts, leading experiments, and helping the teacher with his lessons.

The job is very beneficial for learning teamwork and cooperation with middle-high school students. There is no set learning structure and every lesson varies on the content covered. Meetings outside of the school also take place with the supervisor and co-worker to review and prepare topics. Management is limited to a PhD adviser maintaining contact with the high school.

Fulfillment is definitely the most enjoyable part of the job. I strive personally connect with students to understand their situation and motives. The least enjoyable part of the job would be the high travel to work ratio. The amount of work is limited each week and half an hour of travel is needed for every trip.
Pros
Fullfillment
Cons
Low hours, high travel
Enjoyable work atmosphere, diversity in duties, great benefits
Business Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Troy, NY 12180September 19, 2014
worked daily with budget managers to ensure that funds were being spent efficiently. Assisted print purchaser with bidding and awarding print jobs for whole campus. Was responsible for planning office parties and outings. Loved working with a great group of creative people. Hardest part of job was trying to keep managers within budget limitations and to get them to prioritize projects in case of excessive costs.
Pros
benefits, creative people are fun to work with, diversity of duties
Cons
i reported to a lot of people but for a very long time, i didn't have a direct supervisor
Great School
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYOctober 20, 2015
Curriculum is challenging but rewarding. School is fun and resourceful. Many oppurtunities are given to every student.
Learning curve as a Masters student
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYSeptember 18, 2014
I worked at RPI as a Teaching Assistant for a period of nine months from Aug 2013 to May 2014.

Profile: Calculus I, Embedded Control and Electronic Instrumentation

Description:
Conducted recitations along with office hours and drop-in tutoring.
Supervised labs, debugged and graded student assignments. Proctored exams, managed student databases using Access, Drive.
Pros
good compensation
Cons
short breaks
Great Experience
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYJune 17, 2013
Higher education has been a wonderful place to develop my career. Supportive of academic endeavors, I successfully accomplished working full time as well as going to school full time.

The hardest part of my current position is the lack of support to function as a revenue making department. Completely short-staffed, I put in a great deal of effort and time with very little help.
Work Study is what it is
Work Study Circulation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYSeptember 25, 2014
It's work study. It's not like it was ever going to be amazing with great pay and benefits but working in the library is great in that it provides you time to work on homework and other things when needed. There is stuff to do but we also have plenty of time to get things done.
Pros
nice environment
Cons
minimum wage
Focused and energetic
Producer/Director/Writer (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYOctober 11, 2014
I was working remotely, so I would work independently and then once a week we would have an hour-long meeting where we would cover the progress from the previous week and then make sure we were all on the same page for the next week.

My co-workers and I got along well, no real tension. I liked my team.

The most fun part was the design work; the design team was very cooperative and engaging and enjoyed their work. The hardest part was motivating and monitoring people remotely- it is very difficult to get the full picture of what is happening without face to face meetings and seeing the results of all the hard work in person.
Pros
set my own hours, smart people, interesting job
Cons
impersonal, slow and infrequent communication
Productive and interesting work environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYDecember 14, 2012
Depending on the research project and its progress a day in the lab was the highlight of my day. I not only learned about polymer synthesis in non-oxygen environments, but I learned about characterization techniques and professionally representing myself in front of distinguished individuals. I was one of three girls in a lab of 9 people yet this did not bother me at all. I felt as if I finally found my place at the institute. The hardest part of the job was the uncertainty of actions in the day, regardless as a scientist it is important to interact with those in your field. So even if I had little to do, I always ensured providing a sociable work environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was my opportunity to research abroad and present my research at a science convention.
Pros
opportunity to research abroad in korea, presenting research poster to aps
Cons
a little disorganized and messy at times.
A great motivating environement to work very effectively
Ph.D. Candidate (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYMarch 10, 2014
Being a graduate student, my responsibility included both coursework and research work in the lab. It was a truly learning experience to be able to learn from the stalwarts in the field of biochemical engineering, and implement them to immediate effect in my research work. With limited experience, I went through some rigorous training from senior lab members, and I must say that I received some great mentorship, which facilitated my learning to a great extent. in the process of carrying out my research successfully, I developed an acute analytical thinking, perseverance and dedication to get the required job done.
Worth the extra work to help pay for tuition
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYMarch 26, 2015
I worked as a teaching assistant at RPI, and while it was difficult to balance my own academics, the grading/content of the class, and all of the extracurricular activities, it was crucial to help pay for my education, and it helped me learn more about the subject matter.
Pros
Pays for tuition, get an office (shared with others)
Cons
Adds a lot of extra work for students
Good Uninersity
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYSeptember 20, 2012
The university offers degrees from five schools: Engineering; Science; Architecture; Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences; and the Lally School of Management & Technology; as well as an interdisciplinary degree in Information Technology.
professionalism good
Technology commercialization manager (Current Employee) –  Troy, NyAugust 5, 2014
peaceful environment, good working peers, less mentoring and salary not too great
Resarch enviroment, good for research, not for life
Postdoctoral research associate (Former Employee) –  Departement of PhsicsAugust 30, 2013
Academic institute
Research work
Nice co-workers
Learning in Physics a lot
Pros
research enviroment
Cons
salary
Great benefits
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYMarch 12, 2012
I worked at RPI for over 20 years and loved the college. They have great benefits for their emplyees and their families.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2