Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Teaching Assistant Experience
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYJanuary 15, 2017
More than enough compensation
Supportive people
Learned a lot about time management and prioritizing
Other TAs were extremely helpful
Hardest part of the job was adjusting to a new academic setting.
Challenging, yet rewarding educational experience
Student (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYJanuary 9, 2017
Rensselaer's physics curriculum and workload were more intense than I had originally anticipated. It forced me to change the way I approached my studies, and to adopt a more disciplined work ethic. I benefited greatly from the culture at RPI- the students in my classes were the smartest and most driven group of people I'd ever met and it brought the best out of me as a result.
Good place to begin
Desk-clerk (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYNovember 24, 2016
The superiors really care about your work life balance. Not a stressful place to work at. A very satisfying work experience.
Productive workplace
Visiting Scholar (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYOctober 24, 2016
Reputed school to go to for graduate studies. Has good infrastructure for research and also for recreation. It is close to a lot of hiking places.
Fun work place, friendly atmosphere, cleanliness
Administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYSeptember 27, 2016
Punch in, get right to work, first open and process mail, put applications together in the proper order, open and reply to emails, put together applications to be mailed out
Pros
Fun, friendly and overall wonderful place to be employed
Cons
Na
Great Material Science department supportive of graduate studies
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYJuly 17, 2016
A small yet historied material science department with helpful and welcoming faculty and staff at notably dictatorially run university
Helpful and qualified staff
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2016
Working as a research assistant while completing my MS. The faculty and staff are really helpful.I was able to participate in different projects relating to different aspects of lighting.
Very professional research environment
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYMarch 8, 2016
Collaboration between areas of study are common with publications from work becoming a norm. Great equipment and funding for most research projects.
Provides an interactive experience with people of different ethnicities
Office of Dean (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYDecember 31, 2015
The typical day consists of guiding and assisting students with whatever needs they have. With the wonderful help from upper management, you can learn how to assist students as best as possible. The other staff members are just as helpful with any needs or questions you need help with. The best part of the job is being able to interact with a large number of people on a daily basis. The hardest part is fitting the work schedule with your class schedules. Although, that in itself is not so difficult.
Pros
Friendly, interactive
Cons
Fitting with class schedule, short hours
Great School
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYOctober 20, 2015
Curriculum is challenging but rewarding. School is fun and resourceful. Many oppurtunities are given to every student.
Bad for me, but likely good for many others
PhD Student (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYAugust 17, 2015
There is an extremely poor sense of work/life balance between my research expectations and teaching commitments, to the point where I have totally lost interest in a long-term commitment here. I formally voiced my mental health concerns to the administration in an attempt to create a more feasible workload, but was dismissed because "that's the way things are currently run here." Graduate-specific counseling services were non-existent, and the undergraduate counselor I was speaking to was unable to offer adequate support.

I will concede that RPI does have its share of enthusiastic and well-intentioned people, and my experience is likely a reflection of the particular individuals that I was required to be in regular contact with, because I came out of this school much unhappier than I was when I began.
Cons
Inadequate mental health counseling for graduate students
Typical day at RPI
Executive Administrator (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYJuly 1, 2015
The department I worked in was really great, the staff had a great family feeling, as well as the students. When it came to crunch time to get the proposals done, finances in place, it was all business. The gym on campus allows you to burn off the stress. The sports and other activities with the students made working there really fun and great for the family.
Pros
Each department is run differently, was fortunate to have great bosses
Cons
The politics of the campus weighed down the happiness of how it should have been
Teaching science biweekly at a local special needs high school.
NYSERDA MENTOR (Current Employee) –  Vanderheyden High SchoolMarch 30, 2015
Twice a week, my co-worker and I would drive to a nearby special needs high school to teach science to a small group of interested students with their teacher. Main duties include introducing and explaining concepts, leading experiments, and helping the teacher with his lessons.

The job is very beneficial for learning teamwork and cooperation with middle-high school students. There is no set learning structure and every lesson varies on the content covered. Meetings outside of the school also take place with the supervisor and co-worker to review and prepare topics. Management is limited to a PhD adviser maintaining contact with the high school.

Fulfillment is definitely the most enjoyable part of the job. I strive personally connect with students to understand their situation and motives. The least enjoyable part of the job would be the high travel to work ratio. The amount of work is limited each week and half an hour of travel is needed for every trip.
Pros
Fullfillment
Cons
Low hours, high travel
Worth the extra work to help pay for tuition
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYMarch 26, 2015
I worked as a teaching assistant at RPI, and while it was difficult to balance my own academics, the grading/content of the class, and all of the extracurricular activities, it was crucial to help pay for my education, and it helped me learn more about the subject matter.
Pros
Pays for tuition, get an office (shared with others)
Cons
Adds a lot of extra work for students
Good work environment
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYMarch 17, 2015
Coworkers are friendly, this is a place where you can plan to stay for a long time or until you retire. Well organized company, Teamwork is important.
Research Associate, Department of Computer Science (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYMarch 1, 2015
RPI fosters creativity and professionalism in the workplace, and is a great place to work. Great faculty, entrepreneurial students and solid leadership.
Opportunities to develop skills required for my major
Technical Writer/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYFebruary 3, 2015
The various assignments were instructive, exciting, and afforded great entries on my resume. I had the privilege of being mentored by the leading professors in my field.
Pros
Great learning experiences
Cons
Practice my skill in the lab and get familiar with my field
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYFebruary 1, 2015
I am working for a research project studying electriomigration effect on Titanium. I work with others, and our main goal for this job is to observe the effect under TEM, and hopefully find a way to improve the material in the future to avoid this type of failurel.
In Troy New York
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Rensselaer, NYJanuary 15, 2015
Troy is bustling and there are a lot of great things that are coming to the local atmosphere.
Rewarding undergraduate research experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYOctober 14, 2014
As an undergraduate research, I was exposed to a research environment and cutting edge technology. Experience made me decide to stay for my master's degree.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Reviews by Location