Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Employee Reviews

Productive and interesting work environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYDecember 14, 2012
Depending on the research project and its progress a day in the lab was the highlight of my day. I not only learned about polymer synthesis in non-oxygen environments, but I learned about characterization techniques and professionally representing myself in front of distinguished individuals. I was one of three girls in a lab of 9 people yet this did not bother me at all. I felt as if I finally found my place at the institute. The hardest part of the job was the uncertainty of actions in the day, regardless as a scientist it is important to interact with those in your field. So even if I had little to do, I always ensured providing a sociable work environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was my opportunity to research abroad and present my research at a science convention.
Pros
opportunity to research abroad in korea, presenting research poster to aps
Cons
a little disorganized and messy at times.
A great motivating environement to work very effectively
Ph.D. Candidate (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYMarch 10, 2014
Being a graduate student, my responsibility included both coursework and research work in the lab. It was a truly learning experience to be able to learn from the stalwarts in the field of biochemical engineering, and implement them to immediate effect in my research work. With limited experience, I went through some rigorous training from senior lab members, and I must say that I received some great mentorship, which facilitated my learning to a great extent. in the process of carrying out my research successfully, I developed an acute analytical thinking, perseverance and dedication to get the required job done.
Good Uninersity
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYSeptember 20, 2012
The university offers degrees from five schools: Engineering; Science; Architecture; Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences; and the Lally School of Management & Technology; as well as an interdisciplinary degree in Information Technology.
Resarch enviroment, good for research, not for life
Postdoctoral research associate (Former Employee) –  Departement of PhsicsAugust 30, 2013
Academic institute
Research work
Nice co-workers
Learning in Physics a lot
Pros
Research Enviroment
Cons
Salary
Great benefits
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYMarch 12, 2012
I worked at RPI for over 20 years and loved the college. They have great benefits for their emplyees and their families.
professionalism good
Technology commercialization manager (Current Employee) –  Troy, NyAugust 5, 2014
peaceful environment, good working peers, less mentoring and salary not too great
I worked in the IT computer lab as a tutor
Senior Projects (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYDecember 12, 2012
RPI is a top school and a very challenging environment. You will work very hard to get your degree but it will be worth it.

The people were great and made a lot of life long friends.

Only the truly committed will make it through and RPI Program.
in the fir year more than 1/4 of the class leaves and these were the top 1% in thier classes. only about 25% who start end up graduating
Pros
one of the top engineering schools
Cons
be prepared to work non stop. you have been warned :-)
Good place to get a degree in technology field
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYAugust 28, 2013
Good professor, smart students, enjoyed the time spent there. Management is not very well-rated.
Alot of work. Supervisor in Stewardship is controlling.
Communications Specialist - Acknowledgment Program (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYAugust 29, 2012
Typical day was a lot of work and no recognition. Supervisor who does stewardship was very controlling and vindictive. What I learned with this job is to keep working hard no matter what people say. Eventually opportunties will come your way.
Pros
work on university campus.
Cons
to much bureacratic nonsense and backstabbing of personnel.
Worth the extra work to help pay for tuition
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYMarch 26, 2015
I worked as a teaching assistant at RPI, and while it was difficult to balance my own academics, the grading/content of the class, and all of the extracurricular activities, it was crucial to help pay for my education, and it helped me learn more about the subject matter.
Pros
Pays for tuition, get an office (shared with others)
Cons
Adds a lot of extra work for students

Want to know more about Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute?

Ask a question
Great School
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYOctober 20, 2015
Curriculum is challenging but rewarding. School is fun and resourceful. Many oppurtunities are given to every student.
Summer Research at Biotechnology Center
Internship Summer Research Program (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYOctober 2, 2012
Clonation, Expresion and Purification of RnF Complex protein. In this short tine I got the experience to grow cells, break cells, get the proteins, and purify the product at laboratory scale. This is the same process at plant scale. I know processes like clonation, fermentation, centrifugation, purification and tests like Western Blot Sample Examination, DNA examination etc.
Opportunities to develop skills required for my major
Technical Writer/Tutor (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYFebruary 3, 2015
The various assignments were instructive, exciting, and afforded great entries on my resume. I had the privilege of being mentored by the leading professors in my field.
Pros
Great learning experiences
Cons
It was nice working at RPI
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYAugust 6, 2014
RPI provides good working environment. My advisor didn't limit my work much and on the other hand he usually gave me more freedom so I could explore myself. My co-workers were very helpful and they are good friends too.
Practice my skill in the lab and get familiar with my field
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYFebruary 1, 2015
I am working for a research project studying electriomigration effect on Titanium. I work with others, and our main goal for this job is to observe the effect under TEM, and hopefully find a way to improve the material in the future to avoid this type of failurel.
hard working, learned a lot
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Troy NYJanuary 31, 2013
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, or RPI, is a private research university located in Troy, New York. It was founded in 1824 by Stephen Van Rensselaer and Amos Eaton for the "application of science to the common purposes of life" and is the oldest technological university in the English-speaking world.
Great experience with great people.
College Work Study Employee (Current Employee) –  East Campus Athletic Village, RPI, Troy NYFebruary 16, 2012
Productive but good experience with some of the most knowledgable people I've met in their respective fields. Friendly and relaxed work environment allows for better commitment by employees to adhere to guidelines.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
can only make up to $2000 per school year
Freedom to intellectually perform
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Troy, NYAugust 7, 2012
This environment was made up of mostly students who were given the freedom to intellectually investigate their own interests by designing and performing their own experiments with little intervention from superiors.
Pros
allowed for individual success
Cons
sink or swim
Great research environment. Productive, yet laid back.
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYAugust 4, 2014
For undergraduate research, this school has a lot to offer. It is an optimal working and learning environment that allows for a lot of personal growth.
Research Associate, Department of Computer Science (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYMarch 1, 2015
RPI fosters creativity and professionalism in the workplace, and is a great place to work. Great faculty, entrepreneurial students and solid leadership.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2