Rent A Center
1,414 reviews

Rent A Center Employer Reviews

I have nothing good to say about this job.
Customer Account Representative (Former Employee), Saginaw, TXMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Nothing
Cons: Management, NO work/life balance, TERRIBLE HOURS, pay.
Rent A Center's management is terrible. The disrespect is over the top, they have no kind of advancement, or work/life balance, you go in at 8 A.M. & don't leave till 9 P.M. pay is not good for what you do, I was getting paid 10.00 an hour to load & unload trucks, repo everything, move all everything & set everything up by myself. They really need to get it together.
Inconsistent and Political
Store Manager/Sales Manager (Former Employee), Toledo, OHMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Management pay is decent if you come in with experience
Cons: District Management and higher don't get "it."
For the store manager a 48 hour work week was required provided that you were fully staffed and that you were hitting all standards. If not you were expected to be there six days a week (only because the store is closed Sunday) and late at least two days per week.

The standards that they expect for credit collection and sales are set. However, depending on the day or the week your district manager would change the focus of the store depending on where his district wide numbers were at that time.

Taking need items away from customers when they can't pay is definitely hard. Yes, if they can't pay it isn't Rent A Centers fault however, it is still hard to take someones refrigerator or stove if they don't have the money. If they don't have the money to make the payment to the store chances are they won't have money to replace the food that won't make it outside of the refrigerator.

Decisions about promotions and firing are very political. Seniority at the job is definitely more of a factor than ability is. The work is challenging and can definitely be rewarding in some instances. Keep in mind that I am and can only speak about my area and my experience. I do not know if it is a company wide issue. If I had to venture a guess, and that is all it would be, I would assume this is a common issue.
productive envirement to learn the rent to own industry
Manager (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 27, 2015
managed all aspects of daily operations including sales,credit,hiring etc.I was responsible for renting the products and also collecting the rental fees.i hired and train new employees and also coached employees and customers on a daily basis
Great alternative for people with short-term merchandise needs
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Great pay and benefits
Cons: Long hours--typically worked 50+hrs/week
I liked the physical aspect of the job and keeping busy. I liked being able to help customers get the products they need/ wanted for their family. I did not like calling past-due customers (and references, if necessary) for payment, especially when they were more than a month late on a weekly renewal...and had moved/changed their number. I did not like some of the "shady" things that some managers did to attain company standard/goal numbers.
call cumstomers all day
Account Manager (Former Employee), Haltom City, TXMarch 24, 2015
A typical day at rent a center was to call the customers that were late on there payments and to try and get there payment or the items that they owned
Rent to own company
Customer Account Representative (Former Employee), Nashville, TNMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Travel, weekly pay
Cons: No life work balance, working conditions, underpaid
Delivery of goods and services. I learned how to repair and install household items like appliances and build furniture. Management was effective in delegation but lacking in development. Co-workers were pleasant and helpful. Hardest part of the job was delivering merchandise in any and all conditions. The most enjoyable part of the job was the travel invoved.
Great company
LEAD ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOMarch 24, 2015
Been there almost 8 years and it's been a nice reliable job. Great benefits. They give you your 40 hours and more if wanted weekly.
good
Account Manager/Sales (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 24, 2015
Good place to work and develop your management skills, also taught me how become a stronger leader. management is ok they work with you sometimes and if you have the right team it can be a fun place to work.
Employees become your family
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Fall River, MAMarch 23, 2015
Pros: benefits, healthcare
Cons: long working hours
I learned a lot working for Rent a Center. Every job has its pros and cons, this job what ever position you hold, does consume a lot of your time away from every day life, and family. If your single, and new to an area, RAC will help you get adjusted. If your a family person, I suggest you look for a job elsewhere,
long hours, a lot of pressure
Executive Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Palatka, FLMarch 23, 2015
Pros: sundays off
Cons: just about everything
Long days, little reward. no family life. no chance of bonuses unless you are a store manager. company seemed to not really care about its employee's
Sales and Collectios
lead assistant manager/ (Current Employee), columbus, gaMarch 22, 2015
Pros: vacations and the employee purchase program
Cons: lack of time spent with family
I would be the first one at work to open up and plan the day and make goals for the day. We would start off by making sure the floor was 100%, and make sure all product was rent ready. We would then begin making pass due calls to customers that was late. Working in rent to own I've learned customer service skills and problem solving, and managing people. it was a fast pace job and sometimes there was a little micro management, but we got the job done. There wasn't really anything hard about the job, and what I enjoyed the most was being able to help and assist a customer in getting what they were looking for.
Stressful working environment
Accounts Manager (Former Employee), Lawrenceville, GAMarch 20, 2015
Cons: horrible benefits
The management at the time of my employment was horrible, workers did not have a good work life experience. There was very little room for advancement and there was no loyaly at this company towards it's employees.
Fast-Paced and great enviornment all around
Lead Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Naranja, FLMarch 19, 2015
Pros: great health benefits
Cons: extremly long hours
Typical day at work was mainly busy, customers in and out, answering calls and managing a daily activity planner.

I learned several things from account management, deliveries, sales, collections, inventory and cash handling.

Management was understanding and very helpful.

Co-workers were all great family oriented individuals with positive attitudes ready to work everyday.

The hardest part of the job is being short staffed at times and not being able to complete certain tasks.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working in a team and being able to bring out the best of each other to perform at a high level.
Rent A Center
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Cayce scMarch 19, 2015
Collection calls sales, team work, deilveries pick up. Its a fun job if you make it fun. It depends on the team that you work with as well. There is a huge turn over rate.
If you have a family, this may not be the place for you
Sales Manager (Former Employee), United StatesMarch 19, 2015
Pros: pay, benefits, experience
Cons: hours, management beyond the store level, immature co workers who have no clue about working in a retail/office environment
Pay is good but the hours you are expected to work are crazy. There is no work life balance: you have to work every weekend unless you are dead, in the hospital or sick with a highly contagious disease. Even those circumstances would warrant a "reminder" about having a servant's heart. Your family will seem to forget who you are. It could be a great company if the powers that be would realize that just putting a body into a vacant position is not the answer. Give that body some tools and training before releasing them to the wolves. Finally, the turnover rate is huge! Few coworkers at the store level have 5 or more yrs of service.
Great Company
Store Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 19, 2015
Pros: great benefits, 401k
Rent a Center was a great company to work for. Unfortunately, the company restructured, forcing pay cuts. I was not able to stay on, so I went to work for the competition.
fast paced company with multiple agendas to be met daily
Account Manager (Former Employee), Lewiston, MEMarch 18, 2015
fast paced company with too many job requirements to effectively be executed at store levels. co workers are not given time to properly execute and finish work place demands due to the structuring of daily work place tasks.

I learned a lot about product knowledge and set up, how to change my approach to fit the task at hand as well as how to bend but not break.

management has different levels obviously. this is how a chain of command is structured. however when information such as policies, procedures, work place etiquette, are passed down the chain, too many managers set their own agendas and then cover up by dragging other employees down, often with out an employees knowledge. this is not true for all managers. just too many.

co workers were excellent for the most part, a few bad apples aside. the hardest part of the job is trying to meet job requirements given the time constraints, and execute at a high/professional level.
the most enjoyable part of the job I think was the change in routines given the wide range of job duties.
Poor district management
ASST MANAGER (Former Employee), Beaumont, TXMarch 16, 2015
Pros: inside customer and coworker friendly atmosphere
Cons: district manager doesn't know what he's doing
Everything was good until the district manager chose to fault me for the store not getting good numbers. Our store was getting its credit numbers most of the time before they decided to merge the store i was working at with a store with poor credit numbers. The district manager chose to add gas to the fire instead of help extinguish it. He wasn't district manager material, he was more like assistant manager material because he really doesn't know the business.
Poor Company
Store Manager (MIT) (Former Employee), Lacey, WAMarch 16, 2015
Very poor company to work for. Poor management and absolutely no respect for one another. I was very happy to be able to leave this company. Would not suggest anyone work for therm
Great Gig overall
Sales Manager (Current Employee), Norman okMarch 15, 2015
Pros: decent pay, rewarding job, good bosses
Cons: lack of benefits, long hours
Be prepared to work and work hard. Hours can be long and the work can difficult. I always felt the pay was fair and that the job was rewarding.

1 2 3 4 5

About Rent A Center

Our stores offer name-brand furniture, electronics, appliances and computers through flexible rental purchase agreements that – Read more

Rent A Center Salaries