Rent A Center Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,886 reviews matching the search
Mentally and physically draining
Assistant Manager Sales (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIFebruary 2, 2016
This store was a fun place to work for until the Store Manager had enough of the District and Regional managers only caring about their bonuses, and quit. Since then the District Manager has hired a replacement Store Manager with finger and ear tattoos. I'm not against tattoos but this is someone who's supposed to be professional. She is very under experienced as well.

Being in sales isn't great. Even with the pay. The pressure is there to cold call people all day and try to get them to come in and buy. You basically rip people off everyday. $5000 for a set of washers and dryers? They retail for $2200. It's ridiculous. If you don't perform up to their ridiculous goals they'll just get rid of you. There's no loyalty.

I recommend working somewhere else. Too many things were promised when and before I started only to have them taken away.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Half hour lunch, long work days, small raises, inept management
Hours are very demanding
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 18, 2016
The company is very big and focus 100% in profit. Cares little about promotions.

You are expected to work 10 hours daily 5 days per week. Sales and collections were mixed making it very difficult to perform job.

District Managers treat employees like slaves and if you complain their answer is that the door is wide open for you to leave and there are many people interested in the position.

Benefits are horrible medical and dental had high deductibles.
Pros
Work as a team
Productive workplace. Plenty of work hours. Great management. Great benefits
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCMarch 6, 2016
Great employer. Not a lot of room for advancement within the company. Great benefits, Great management. All in all a very good place to work.
Pros
Plenty of hours, great benifits, great management, job security.
Cons
very little room for advancement, very little time with family due to five to six 12 hour days a week.
If you can do better, do it.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTApril 3, 2016
I was thankful to get the opportunity to run a store..However, the upper management is awful at best. They do not invest in their managers. The DM
Was bothered by the simplest tasks. They care about today's numbers only. They don't realize, take care of your manager and staff, everything else falls in place. Dm audits were not done right. They don't develop their people. The list goes on. It wasn't all bad, I made great relationships with customers and learned some valuable skills but overall I would not recommend a job in management with this company. Unrealistic sales goals set and counterproductive tasks such as daily telemarketing to the same people who tell you to stop calling them are the norm. If you have any true managerial skills, run from this company. If you are looking to get into entry management, this could be an ideal fit for you for the short term. Definitely a transition job. I had 4 job offers when I left and I nearly doubled my salary by leaving. Make your own opinion though, it might be your dream job, but this was my experience.
Pros
Customer relationships
Cons
Pay, bonus structure, DM not supporting staffing needs
you are just a number at Rent A Center
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Knightdale, NCMarch 2, 2016
It is pretty sad that this company has District Managers working for them that do not know how to train or coach there employees..All mine knew how to do is sit either at his house or at his office and pass out threats to fire you everyday..Last i worked for the company for 6 yrs and cleaned up more than 6 stores and opened 2 new ones...On Feb 4th was asked to the District Managers office and was given a pathetic reason after all that i have done for this company that i was no longer needed and was told it was cause i was Disrespectful and that he didn't really need to give me a reason cause i was just a number in Rent A Centers High as ever turnover...This company has anywhere from 1 to 8 Store Manager openings everyday..That is sad...If you are considering to work for this company you might want to reconsider ...They make it very stressful and you won't know if you have a job tomorrow,, As you see mine release wasn't for performance,it's cause he made it personal..What a joke of a company
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Upper Management, Stress 0 CUSTOMER SERVICE
Learned that people cannot be trusted
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 18, 2015
They do not pay enough for the work they want you to do and the hours they want you to work. You will never know what time you will be getting off. Management only cars about them selves and if they cannot find a reason to fire you they will demote you and take your pay down. They promise you bonuses but the change the bonus structure so often, that the only people who will get bonuses is the General Manager and not store managers. The general managers will promise assistants store manager positions and basically turn the assistants against their managers when they don't have any intentions on promoting them.

The only thing good about this company is the customers and they will give you a raise but only a few cents.
Pros
Pay and Customers
Cons
Management, Management Management
Great pay & Benefits but really bad management
Technical Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXJanuary 19, 2016
Incoming call center from all the RAC retail stores and headquarters. Troubleshooting a variety of IT issues related to the stores.
Training was not that good but learned more from sitting and listening to calls with other employees.
Take notes!!
Your coworkers are really friendly and will help you succeed.

The hardest part: Everything is constantly monitored and your call quality is micro managed making it difficult at times. If you don't like working after 5 pm or on weekends, don't work here! Management is strict & difficult constantly. They can be discriminatory but hide it very well. They will review your calls every day, week or month and you and the boss listen to your calls, if you can't handle this don't work here. seasoned employees get stressed over call review. If you don't improve, they will fire you!

The best part: not a lot of down time, nice break room, "sick room" to go take a nap, friendly & helpful coworkers. They pay well! good benefits!
Pros
pay and benefits are really good
Cons
Micro management
You don't want to work here unless your desperate for money.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Keyser, WVJanuary 20, 2016
The money is good once you get to the management level, but the misery of having to deal with the toxic upper management directly is hardly worth it. The hours suck, and make it difficult to have a life outside of work. You will miss family gatherings, kids sports games and concerts. You will regularly deal with having to reposes things like furniture, refrigerators, and stoves. However, if you don't mind constant conflict at work, and don't have much of a life this would be the job for you.
Pros
Management level compensation
Cons
Everything else
good work environment, and worked with really good people
Account Manager, Repossessions, Sales (Former Employee) –  Kenmore, OHMarch 25, 2016
arrived made a call through the route I was assigned. then started deliveries and ate lunch somewhere before noon. then went though a second call through the route. then more deliveries until the day was almost at an end to where the other rep. and I could make a final days call through before the store closed. I learned a lot of sales techniques from this position. My management was great. They were great managers, and made a very fun, and friendly work environment. From the start they were nice and just wanted to work and go back to their families at the end of the day. The location of the store made it hard for the managers to get the credit they deserved but still handled their workload with ease. The hardest part of the job would be the constant worry of job security. You would get an email from the district manager every single morning threatening to fire you unless you succeeded better than the numbers of any store across the country. This was extremely hard because of our location. my other coworker was a great guy too. He is a former marine that works hard for his money and always got the job done. Always nice, and made the job fun. The most enjoyable part of the job was just being out on the road making deliveries and giving people the things they needed to live better lives (washing machines,stoves,dishewasher,bedset,tv, etc)
Pros
fun work environment with the right people
Cons
constant threatening of job due to district manager wanting a raise
Good source for learning
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, MDSeptember 28, 2015
The overall job was ok but the work life balance was horrible. I found out even as you progressed in your career corporate office wanted more. Compensation was good if you were a store manager with a profit margin of atleast 20+ percent, but if you're a C.A.R. you needed another job after you got off work. Job security was sometimey. Some times you were 100% comfortable with not having to worry about losing your job but other times you weren't. Advancement was completely based on metrics and that was fine with me because earning your keep is way better than tenure to me. Management was ok as long as they weren't having a bad day. The only thing I didn't like was that one incident can ruin all the good you may have done for the organization and it all was dependent on how they felt that day. The best part of the job was the customers. When you see a customer month after month you tend to for a genuine relationship with them not on a personal level but on a level of understanding which works well with you when dealing with the public.
Pros
Pay when a manager
Cons
Inconsistency of corporate policy and decisions
hard work great customers and great coworkers
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint Robert, MODecember 7, 2015
During a typical day at work we open the store and work all the past due customers we stage all of the deliveries for the day and work sales calls and follow up with one last credit work at the end of the day. Rent A Center has taught me more about customer service, sales, marketing and collections than my schooling ever did I believe a successful Rent A Center employee can make it in most any job. Not all management's the same but the upper level management in our area is very fair and understanding and makes the daily grind much more enjoyable. The hardest part of the job is the customers who dodge us and avoid us when they run past due and the over the top expectations they put on their staffing. The best part of the job is the great customer relationships we get to develop being we see our customers weekly.
Pros
good pay and great customer interaction
Cons
long hours and changes that make job more difficult not better
Run!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Youngstown, OHFebruary 7, 2016
If you value your time and professionalism then stay the heck away from this company. I'd work at McDonalds and 3 other part-time jobs before working here again.
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
Culture, management, pay, benefits, CEO
Live and Learn
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 6, 2016
This company is absolutely not what I thought it would be, their benefits for employees are no where close to being good, the management is demeaning and degrading to staff. They pride themselves on putting down there employees if their collections isnt where they want it to be, everyday that you leave this company after a day of work, you will think twice about returning. During the interview process they do not give you all the details of what your day to day will consist of. The salary is barely livable and the fact that you dont have set days off is ridiculous. You have absolutely no life working at this place. They sell you a dream of oppurtunity to grow however, seems like your hard work doesnt pay off. As an employeer you are subject to bad attitudes of the management along with violent customers who may be unhappy for one reason or another. Honestly just an all around bad experience. However amongst the continuing bad the fact that working in a very high paced envirionment gave me the oppurtunity to learn to juggle many task and account management.
Pros
Improve in multitasking, account management, money handling skills
Cons
No set schedule, very low pay, poor benefits, poor management, dont pay overtime
Fast Paced Retail Environment
Senior Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAOctober 9, 2015
Very stressful at times due to the retail environment and account management duties. There is always something to do. Very good job for employees that do not have families. Only a good job for employees with families. There have been recent changes to the staffing model where the company is hiring three part-time co-workers to handle the roadwork and store cleaning/restocking. The full-time co-workers are having their hours reduced from 47 hours per week down to 40 hours per week to try and improve the work/life balance. Good benefits.
Pros
Good benefits, Decent pay
This awful place dose not deserve 1 star
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peru, ILApril 2, 2016
I learned that you will be sold down the river by every co worker because everyone is afraid of losing there jobs. Everyone is afraid of losing there jobs because of the unrealistic sales and collection goals. Of course sales are going to go up and down and of course people pay like #$@# their because credit is not checked. People who use rent a center for stuff are not worried about paying on time because they are at rent a center. If you work their prepare your self for a very boring job with low pay and the same people past due week after week. Yeah you can go pick there stuff but then get yelled at for losing a customer. The management in the Peru IL store are horrible people and should not be running a business.
exhausting
General Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Culpeper, VAOctober 4, 2015
from the time that you enter work until you leave there is a constant uphill battle to produce result while managing service and customer. Every coworker has a understanding of how to get the job done it just the amount of work that has to be done since all tasks are inhouse. The management is constantly up and down with expectation. Decent pay due to overtime pay. Company is attempting to improve work life balance by hiring on part time work and 49 hour coworkers.
Pros
compensation, constant employement
Cons
work life balance
Great place to learn a little bit of everything and fast paced work environment
Customer Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAOctober 29, 2015
Rent a center is a great place if you are looking to learn new things. while at rent a center you will be task with meeting a greeting customers on the sales floor, setting up delivery date and time, delivering the merchandise. You will also be in tasked with collecting money and coaching customers about on-time payments. Not to place to work if you are bothered by favoritism. In the year I have spent with the company one of the biggest things I was troubled by was the fact that some get better treatment than others.
Pros
Great place to learn how about time management and customer service
Cons
Safety issues, work-life balance very difficult to maintain a lot of favoritism.
Challenging, but no quality of life
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Everett, WANovember 4, 2015
The first several years were challenging, but each store was given more autonomy in finding ways to succeed. Each person felt a personal responsibility towards the team achievements. In the later years, the culture across the board became very different. Even as there were more "we're a team" catch phrases, upper management clearly showed nothing but disdain for what was happening at the store level. All upper management ever seemed concerned with were bottom line numbers - mostly focused on protecting shareholder profit without regard to the sacrifices being made at the store level.
Pros
good discounts on merchandise
Cons
terrible hours and working conditions
productive and fast paced environment
Delivery Driver/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CAMarch 22, 2016
A typical day at work was very fast and always busy. I learned a lot about customer needs and how to maintain a happy customer. I also learned that respecting the needs of our customers was extremely important in order to have easy deliveries. We delivered everything from couches to refrigerators. Management was very coordinated and easygoing. The hardest part of the job was maintaining a fast pace while carrying heavy objects. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with great people and accomplishing our company goals daily.
Pros
free time
Cons
lowpay
not a good place to work at
Sales Manager/Loan Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 31, 2016
really really really long hours. management is bad and unfair with employees. management treats customers really bad. furniture infested and broken.

2.5