Rent A Center Employee Reviews

Found 2,003 reviews matching the search
Very stressful work enviornment
Product Delivery Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lake Havasu City, AZNovember 5, 2016
On a typical day, you would usually bring the vehicle around. A manager would then instruct you on which items are going out for delivery that day. If no deliveries were scheduled, you would maintain a clean and stocked showroom floor. In my time here, I learned more about time management and hard work. Management was okay; most days were smooth, however some days were very stressful. Co-workers were very police and welcoming. The hard part of the job would be working with the heavier couches and getting them to fit into a customers home without damaging merchandise or home(I.e. awkward doorways where maneuverability is very limited.) The enjoyable parts were that on occasion, the Manager would buy lunches.
Pros
Occasional free lunch
Cons
Extremely stressful environment, no benefits, long hours, no breaks besides lunch
Misguided Management
Assistant Store Manager-Sales (Former Employee) –  Erie County, OHAugust 26, 2016
Was with the company for more than 2 years. No raise in a year and a half(even though I pulled 80 deliveries on more than one occasion in a month ) Nothing was ever appreciated from management. Being a female in a males business is super tough! Love my customers and our new computer system, but management (District and above) was rough! No life outside of work. Gone from home 8am-8pm mostly 6 days a week was unbearable! Stress is not a comparable word for this. Could not request off a Saturday, it was frowned upon. Plus your hours are set as an assistant. You can't change them!
Pros
I don't know if their is any!
Cons
Hours, stress, pay, stress, hours
When all else fails...
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAMay 11, 2016
When you need a quick buck to.....let me stop lying. By far one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. Low pay, terrible benefits, no overtime. The list goes on. I wasn't fired. I quit. I was told overtime was optional however, when you get to work its managers who will go in the system and alter your time so you have NO overtime. One week I had 40 regular hours and 16 minutes of overtime and my check was less than $300!!! There is no life to do anything because you have to be there 7 days a week as long as the host store stays open. And on top of the lack of pay, lack of overtime, and lack of respect from management, you get cursed out on a daily basis by customers because they make a deal with the devil that is Acceptance Now. There is too much favoritism within the district and on top of that they encourage you to break the FDCPA Laws! Never work for this company.
Pros
Cons
Long Hours, Low Pay, No Advancement options, the don't follow the FDCPA Laws
allowed to leave store on lunch break
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2016
Met some great customers learned P&L - Profit and loss projections Rental agreements, wonderful past management some great co-workers the hardest part of the job was getting the merchandise back in good condition and on time payments the most enjoyable part of the job helping people that could not afford to pay
Pros
Competitive pay, Benefits
Cons
horrible collection procedures, lack of storage for inventory
Credit Manager
Credit Manager (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 16, 2016
Typical day how work was collection calls 3 times a day to customers that are past due, organizing sales floor, meeting sales expectations, managing part-time coworkers, collection runs, handling store's assets. Main thing I learned was you can always say no to a customer without being rude or disrespectful, basic just telling the customer to obey the contact they signed when the accepted the merchandise. Hardest part was Higher management having high expectations, store was always super under-staffed and was still one of the best stores in the district, usually the number one store and still something was wrong about the store. Store was never dirty and there were never complaints about employees or about the store in general and still higher management wasn't satisfied with the work done, so much that raises were so minimal. The most enjoyable part of the job is basically really working as a team, in this specific job if you cannot work as a team you will not only fail but it will not be a pleasant environment.
Pros
Easy Job if you know what you are doing
Cons
Higher Management
Decent workplace
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Del Rio, TXNovember 17, 2016
Job consisted of a checklist of merchandise to deliver. cleaning the store or making sales calls on slow days. On occasions being sent to collect payments or merchandise. Good teamwork, unless working on your own. A great job if you're a student or single with no children. Good workout carrying merchandise. If business is slow, you get sent home.

All in all, not a bad workplace. Perform well and you'll do well with the company. Gives you hands-on experience in customer service.
Pros
Good paying job for students, great teamplayers, management is good to get along.
Cons
No job security, working during hot summer days, employment turnover.
wrong decision!!!!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaSeptember 8, 2016
This company is a joke. The Managers and district manager are a terrible, no respect. You can forget about you personal life you have none. they get mad if you don't want to work on your day off. On weekends you cant leave till you hit goal this mean harassing people all night even if they all ready told u they don't have the money. No team work and unrealistic goals. The store closes at 7 went home almost at 9 pm!!! 10:30 pm few times. its all gossip its like being in high school everyone wants to be all up in your personal life. They make you feel bad for requesting a day off or ask for a raise.
Pros
insurance
Cons
bad enviroment
Horrible company, don't waste your time
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  West Branch, MIMay 12, 2016
If you enjoy long hours, low pay, and unrealistic expectations by upper management, this job is for you! Not to mention the desire to take advantage of poor people.

Just be sure not to get injured, you will be "advised" not to get checked out.

Typical day consists of collections calls, in person collections and scheduled pick up and deliveries. You are nothing more than a glorified delivery driver. Not to mention a "punching bag" for certain customers who refuse pay what they committed to. (you will be held accountable for this)

Store management was decent, however upper management cares only about making money. Employees are just another number.

"Benefits" are a joke. Very Costly, not to mention, not accepted by area clinics and hospitals.
Pros
Work on your own occasionally
Cons
Bad pay, upper management, vulgar customers, high turn over.
Rent-A-Center
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 31, 2016
Worked with a group of five to six people on selling, delivering, refurbishing merchandise, and collecting on accounts. I learned how to elevate my customer service skills and really build a rapport with customers. There were management changes with every manager having a different management styles that were introduced and it kept me on my toes learning how to mesh our styles. The hardest part of the job was working 10 hours a day. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the customers and them being satisfied with learning and fulfilling their needs.
Pros
Cross-training and learning new skills
Cons
working long hours
Used to be a good place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Napoleon, OHJuly 13, 2016
I have worked at this company for over a decade. I moved from a full-time, starter position as an Account Manager (now Customer Service Rep) to Store Manager. The hours are long but the pay is good at the expense of a life outside the job. (50-60 our weeks are standard for management and 40-hour weeks for other full time staff.
I have had many good managers and even more great employees.
As of 2016 the top management of the company have moved away from the idea of serving our customers and instead are chasing the bottom line with disastrous results. Cost-cutting and then having to backtrack when it doesn't work is pretty standard. There does not seem to be any direction or goal from the top management in which to fix the growing problem.
The continued upside is that I do get to work with my customers to help them and their families get what they need.
Pros
Competitive pay for work done.
Cons
Company no longer knows what it is doing.
I would never go back, EVER
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 21, 2016
Although I am grateful that Rent A Center provided me the opportunity to work for them, I would never go back. The pay was good but only because they would force us to work 50+ hours per week. Our schedules were not reflective of what we'd actually end up working. We may be scheduled for an 8 hour shift and end up working 12 on any given day. The store level managers were good, but the divisional supervision was harsh and critical and just plain mean. It honestly felt like we were slaves to this company. They cared little about our safety, or our satisfaction.
Pros
They give you plenty of hours to work, and the pay is good.
Cons
Terrible management, horrible culture
Sometimes it's fun. Other times it's stressful
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Heath, OHAugust 29, 2016
Pretty good pay with long hours. After my current job, I would gladly return to this job. The hours can get too much to handle and it can be stressful when you fail to hit your past due goals. The reason I'm not here anymore is after I was in a car accident i was not allowed to lift or move anything over 50 lbs and instead of allowing me to just work in the store, they terminated me because I couldn't move sectional sofas and refrigerators anymore. But all in all, this is a good job.
Pros
Good pay, benefits, fun
Cons
Long hours, hard to meet goals
Sales Management Position was AWESOME!
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Lihue, HIOctober 27, 2016
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED working for Rent A Center! They taught me pretty much EVERYTHING I know in the Sales Management business. The training was intense but it was well worth it. I was fortunate to have and AMAZING team in Hilo and my Boss really took her time to be sure I knew EVERYTHING I needed to succeed. Sales events and promotions were my new found LOVE and I'd go back to Rent A Center in a heartbeat!
Pros
Great team and lots of knowledge gained from this business!
Cons
NONE
Stressful Job
Employee (Current Employee) –  MDOctober 12, 2016
The Company is okay they change policy to benefit them they are all about money. They are trying to have the store open on 4th of July, Labor Day, and Memorial Day to compete with retail stores. Their mission statement is to improve the quality of life for their customers and co workers but I don't see how. Its really stressful and nothing is ever good enough. I would say the company itself is good you get benefits and all. If Your on a 40Hr work week then your quality of life is a lot better than the Managers who work 50+ Hrs. The issue is Upper Management the DM's will screw you they have their favorites and will not train or develop. I wouldn't say that all DM's are like that but Mine Is. He comes to the store and sit in the office all day and not do anything to help improve my skills. Their are so many store managers that say he doesn't help them either he doesn't coach or train and if you ask him a question he makes you feel really small. He will look out for his boys and if your not his boy then nothing good you do will ever be good enough. Favoritism is in District 20. As far as moving up you have to Be one of the DM boys otherwise he will overlook you he will feed you BS to why he can't promote you. You can come to work and do your job but if he doesn't like you good luck on moving up. BTW this is a drug free company but the DM doesn't care he promoted someone who sent him a text by mistake asking for drugs.....
Pros
Benefits, Job security
Cons
Stressful, favoritism
Stressful with no job security
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CANovember 22, 2016
Call customers for default payments, harassing customers for on time payments. Management thinks about the store rather then their employees.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
no raises
Rent to own Sales nad account collections
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Durant, OKAugust 29, 2016
Structured work environment with clear expectations.
New Corporate management team working to adjust to changing economy.
Objectives from upper management often seem unrealistic but are obtainable with focus nad smart work practices.
Good performance is often rewarded during sales and growth contests.
Long hours but the company is revamping the scheduling process to allow shorter work hours resulting in more time to spend with family.
account manager
Senior account manager (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INJune 24, 2016
Work long hours, 10-13 a day. Saturdays are always awful, especially if "credit" (past due accounts) are out of hand. You are expected to get people with no money to make on time payments every week, if not you are forced to work over, and are threatened with your job. Once a month, you have to make cold calls to customers who haven't rented in years and try to convince them to come into your store. If you are luck enough to get a manager who understands that sometimes there isn't a lot you can do to manage accounts, then it's not so bad. I hated having to call people 3 times a day and beg for payment.
Cons
Long hours, low wages, no respect from upper management
Long hours, little rewards
Manager-In-Training (MIT) (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 10, 2016
As a Manager-In- Training, I was required to preform every aspect of the operation, Sales, Promotions, Delivery, and Back Office. The training was good, and the people I worked with were nice. The hours were long and I always had split days off. There is a set order of operation that must be followed. If you are use to being a free thinker and a problem solver, this is not the job for you; the daily tasks are set in stone. I was promised my own store, that never happen. Had issues with the store manager being rude, had to take it up to HR. In the end I resigned. Would I recommend this company, yah...it just not for me.
Pros
Good Benifits
Cons
Targeting low income people as clients
Company cares only for the bottom line
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJune 4, 2016
RentaCenter has all kinds of nice policies in place about work/life balance and compensation for employees.

the truth is that they simply don't happen. I was required to work longer days= earlier mornings AND later nights, than I was explained during the interview.

Their pay structure is considerably less than their major competitor (Aarons) despite being a larger company and charging more for their products.

Store managers minimum starting salary is 80% of what Aaron's is.

Hourly employees are paid about the same hourly, but have no incentives and bonuses (commission, monthly bonuses, stop-pays) like Aarons provides.

The company has a very high profit margin at the expense of their customers and employees, based on my experience in the field and with them and the other previously stated company (and no I am no longer working for Aarons either)
Pros
Sundays off
Cons
10+ hr days required for mgrs, not flexible with required schedules
Management was horrible
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 10, 2016
Store manager I worked with was wonderful very rare for RAC, the issue was the DM who talked dirt behind your back and talked about other employees. Structure was bad sadly and no matter how much you tried to turn the store around it wasnt good enough. You were treated like you never did any work when all we all did was busy our butts.
Pros
The store manager was awesome that was it
Cons
No work life balance, upper management treated you like dirt, pay was horrible

2.5