Rent A Center Employee Reviews

Found 1,736 reviews matching the search
ASSISTANCE MANAGER / DRESS CODE / PARTS ROOM
PARTS ROOM CLERK (Former Employee) –  HOUSTON, TXAugust 28, 2015
@ Houston location @ 16580 Air Center Blvd.
Based on my experience as parts room attendent:

THIS IS THE WORST COMPANY THAT I EVER WORKED FOR:

The manager was a great manager.
He always helped out in different areas to get the job done.

But, here is some other issues that needs some attention that I would like to point out:

1. THE ASSISTANCE MANAGER / PARTS ROOM CARTS:
The assistance mananger was not a good assistance manager. I would always see him sitting behind the desk most of the day. Him & I NEVER got along. One day, when the manager was on his manager meeting. The assistance manager was left to supervised us. He yelled @ me for no reason b/c I was trying to get all my carts ready to place @ the receiving door so the fedex and UPS can unload our packages. Why I do this every morning b/c the drivers have no RESPECT. They would use the carts that belong to the parts room and they would never bring them back to the parts room when they were finished with them. I have worked in Parts room all through my career industry. I know what to get ready in the morning before my days work begin. I am a person that likes to get things ready & done in a time of matter. THE WAREHOUSE HAD THEIR OWN CARTS TO USE ABOUT AT LEAST 20 OF THEM.

2. PARTS ROOM CONSIST OF THREE PEOPLE:.
IT'S WAS NEVER ALL ABOUT TEAM WORK. Its was ALL about worked by yourself & get it done when you only had little or no training at ALL. Two of the coworkers that I worked wanting to sit in their chair all day & wanting do nothing. I was always the first one @ the table when it involved
  more... receiving the packages in or taking tech work orders to get parts. Then, they will join in later to helped out when it was sometimes way too late. They would throw issy fits like a two year old if they had to get up from their royal chair about coming to help out. Also, It was all about one certain person music that we had to listened to all the time everyday. It was getting to burned out with the same music PLAYING EVERYDAY.

3. TOO MANY PEOPLE ON THEIR CELL PHONE OR BUSINESS PHONE WHILE ON THE JOB THAT WAS NOT WORK RELATED:
This is why jobs never got done during our work time enviroment schedules because carry over to the next day because of their stupidty. Especially the ONE WHO wanted to be my boss in the parts room. She was always on her cell phone during work hours every hour on through the work day. The other was another one but on the business phone getting calls @ all times This was THEIR main focus of the day was being on her phone too much talking to her friends instead of getting work done.

4. PARTS ROOM DRESS CODE WAS AN ISSUE:
NEVER in my 15 years Manufacturing / Parts Room career industry life I wore high slit up dresses that came up almost above the knees to you mid thighs or skirts to show off your legs, cut low down shirts to revealved your chest. High heels, or flip flops, or ballerina slippers to this type of job like the girls did in the parts room. This is a parts room where we walked @ certain paced to get or delivered parts for the tech so they can go finish the job in a time mannerly. I wore my tennis shoes to work one day. But, they didn't like it. The girls in the parts rooms told me that I have to dressed like them. But, In the job description that was emailed before I accepted the job: it does not list ANYTHING saying you are required to: DRESSED TO EXPRESSED OR IMPRESSED YOUR BOSSES, TECHNICIANS, OR DELIVERIES GUYS EACH DAY. Maybe, I should of filed harrassment because the girls were wanting me to dress like this everyday.

5. PARTS ROOMS PRINTED OUT FROM THE RELEASE WAS AN ISSUE:
The release was always getting jam into the system. The parts room sometimes had to reprint the work orders one by one if the system was acting up. THIS WAS A TOTALLY A WASTE OF TIME. This could have been avoided if the tech department of RAC could figure out what is the caused of this. The bad thing was about the release it never had a space listed or printed installed dates on the work order when the other items before hand were installed or handed out to the tech or when the parts were ordered or taken out of the parts rooms. ONCE AGAIN, THIS WAS A TOTALLY A WASTE OF TIME AGAIN TO RELOOKED EVERYTHING UP IN THE COMPUTER FOR ITEM # WHEN WAS THE DATE INSTALLED. WHICH WE COULD OF ALREADY HAD THE PART ON THE TECH SHELF IN THEIR DEPARTMENT TO BE WORK ON. No matter how many orders we had on a release that printed out. It could range from 20 to 50 pages per release. How I would do it is: when you have a lot of work orders or store orders to pull is seperate all your computer, phones, appliances, Tv's, store orders in each pile then work from there to make the job more easier and get it done.

6. RECEIVING GOODS ON THE RECEIVING TABLE:
After checking in the packing list / invoices by correct P.O. #, vendor, ID #, name, item #, description, & qty to ensure purchase orders received into system. I would then seperated the items. We have four tables conjoured together. I would put the cell phones parts on one table. All the appliances on second table. All the computer items on the 3rd table. All the store orders on the fourth table which underneath the table were the padded envelopes to sent them out. I guess no one really like my idea how to get the orders done in a time of matter. To me, the old way they had it was all parts scattered out everywhere on the table. This wasted so much time going around the table looking for the part. It was better off seperated it by sections to see the parts by catorgory easier.

7. FRONT OFFICE & PARTS ROOM SCHEDULE WAS A ISSUE:
It was not FAIR that us (Parts room) had to be part of the front office. We were told only one person total out of both departments could take a personal day off or vacation at a time. I dislike this agreement. In my opionion, I see two departments, I would think it is ok to let one person from department take a personal or vacation day at the same time. But, I don't think it was RENT A CENTER rule. It was a manager rule. The tech can take off when they wanted to. They were not treated as bad like we were. Especially, when they have day off do to their work schedule during the week. Us (Parts ladies) had to take different time for lunches which I didn't mind. But, when we consider as part of the front office all three girls took their lunch @ the same hour but 5 mins aparts. Which left only one girl working up front & then leaving it up to us to answer phones.

8. SAFTEY HAZARDS:
One of the safety hazard that I could recall is when the girls are in the parts room in heels or flip flops they are always constantly dropping stuff on their toes. This could have been prevented from them being more careful in the stockroom by not tripping over their two feet or wearing the right type of working shoes. I was told I could not wear my tennis shoes, but they could their flip flops, heels. Come on, what is wrong with this picture. This is why they are always having accident in the parts room. Or their dresses or lose shirts get hung on by a shelf or piece of metal or wood when walking by. AND I WAS THE ONLY TOLD THAT I HAVE TO WEAR MY STEEL TOE BOOTS.

9. SCHEDULE TRUCK DELIVERIES WAS AN ISSUE.
From the assistance manager. It was bought up by him that we should logged in for the delivery truck that coming in. John has a warehouse personel in the back working the warehouse. He is in charge of unloading the truck deliveries. Why couldn't the assistance manager or the guy working in the warehouse scheduled the incoming freight that was coming in. ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS THAT IS PURE LAZY COMING FROM THE ASSISTANCE MANAGER THAT DOESN'T WANT TO HIS PART OF THE JOB. Another thing was it was all about sitting in that chair doing not nothing. The warehouse personel never looked or took note or what coming in for delivery that day. I just thought the calendar in the parts room was a waste of TIME BECAUSE WE HAD NO PART OF WHAT WAS BEING DELIVER OFF THE TRUCK IN THE WAREHOUSE.

10. FINISHING UP & CLOSING OUT EVERYBODY DIRTY WORK IN PARTS ROOM:
People have no respect or what so ever to help you keep your space area clean. They come work at your station and don't leave it in way when you left it. They come use your computer because they are SO LAZY to go use their computer. Everytime they would log in a work order they input the item but they would NEVER CLOSED OUT THE SCREEN. But, if you were on their computer they will tell get off of it right away. Or what are you doing on my computer. They have no respect of what so ever on other people property.

IN JULY, I finally quit my job. I had enough of it. The drive was getting to me. It took an hour and 10 minutes to get there. I was driving a long ways. I got tired of all the B/S & stupid rules @ work. Two other ppl that I worked with sat IN CHAIR every day doing nothing in order to get the job done. I walked out & never looked back. I will move forward now. Maybe there's something better out there for me.
Pros
NOTHING GOOD ABOUT IT
Cons
DRESS CODE ISSUE IN PARTS ROOM
Poorly ran company.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 18, 2014
With Rent-A-Center you start the day off cleaning the show room and preparing it for the day. Shortly thereafter you review 6 promotional sale items that need to be moved before the end of the week. Next, you will generate an inventory and open up your sales lead tool for telemarketing new and upcoming sales campaigns. After this has been generated, you meet with your manager to discuss reviews of delivery planner for merchandise expected to be delivered for the day (typically discussing what product will be delivered, rescheduled due to constraints/or verification, or cancels due to verification).

The second half will consist of answering customer question via phone or walk-in. Interacting with customers pervasively and demonstrating products to increase sales. Additionally, you will work on customer files and verifying information for tomorrow's deliveries on your downtime as well as telemarketing.

At the end, you will closeout and/or update leads, enter your new customer leads to be generated next week, audit the cash drawer, review sales goals, and complete delivery planner for tomorrow, followed by cleaning and prepping the floor for tomorrow.

What I learned with Rent-A-Center (RAC) was how not to run a business, from the model in customer service, which is very deceptive, to how to treat individuals within a company. A lot of sales marketing consisted of minor to major deception in creating a perceived value by gaining trust/relationship to push products that aren't necessary or vital (preying on poor/uninformed people). From a business perspective RAC's model is very
  more... profitable, but is borderline loan-sharking, and predatory lending.

Management was clearly the most disappointing, mangers were unfortunately fairly undereducated and lacking the capacity to run a small store, let alone a large business. Daily simple tasks became grueling and uneasy due to managements inability to remain consistent in daily activities and responsibilities. It was not uncommon to be told to do something, and then shortly be reprimanded for not doing something else, which was frustrating.

Managers were also engaged in personal matters of others, employees, customers, and other managers and would openly discuss others personal business. My experience with RAC could not have been much worse. Unfortunately, district and regional level managers are very disconnected and ultimately useless because they are spread thin, and cannot focus on necessary issues that arise involving managers. District level managers are hit or miss, some are very well-trained and educated while others thrive on being punitive in dealing with others.

Most co-workers were fairly reasonable and did what was expected, seldom there are few who join in on high school-like immaturity with one another and customers.

The hardest part was dealing with blatant disrespect of others physically and emotionally. Boundaries are constantly crossed in this company on almost all aspects, there is nothing short of sexual, emotional, psychological, and even physical harassment/abuse. Reports of such are not taken seriously by corporate employees and retaliation of complaints is certain.

Rent-A-Center is a growing cesspool of toxic, underdeveloped, obtuse, emotionally disturbed individuals, this is not a generalization, but a direct reflection of my well documented time within this company. The level of narcissistic and sociopathic traits are alarming.

This is not a warning, but an observation of what is to be expected from a company who thrives on predatory lending practices. I can say that I am ashamed that I tried to see the good in what the company does, which is few and far in-between.
Pros
quitting.
Cons
no breaks, long days, inconsiderate managers, poorly executed training program, lack of educated managers/individuals, high school environment, poor working conditions, unprofessional management teams, lack of employee resources for human relations, & more.
customer service representative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlotte ncSeptember 5, 2014
Well I worked there for five months. I started looking for a new job the second week I was there. I worked at the acceptance now division of rent a center located in a national chain furniture store. My manager wrote me up while I was still working in the tranning book for not knowing how to take a payment over the phone. Had she showed me how I would of loved to learn how. But instead of taking 5 minutes to teach me how she took 15 on writing me up. Instead of learning there computer system. I spent the majority of my time cleaning up the disorganized office. Filling boxes of papers and calling customers that already received there furniture references, as well as organizing files. My first day on the phone the assitant manager wrote me up for call avoidance, I guess letting the phone ring ten times was not long enough for her. Are you getting the idea they are write up happy. The phone is ringing off the hook customers want a quote but you have plenty of time to write me up. The district managers are always adding something new to the long list of steps that are already long to began with. Now when you take a payment all of there info has to be fillied in there account. You have to ask the customer why are you paying late, when are you getting your next check, where do you work , what are your hours, do you still have the same supervisor oh you have a new supervisor what's there name what's there extension so basically 20 questions and write a college thesis on the call. So your a bill collector first thing call past due customers. Call them at work ,home wherever the money  more... is at. Give customers quotes , so you want two thousand dollars worth of furniture OK so it will take only 24 months to pay that off. Then you are a detective so this customer that wants merchandise claims to work where they listed, is that a business number or his cousion brother boyfriend number to Google we go looking up the address and phone numbers. Calling family and friends of customer for references are they a good person or bad person five dumb questions. In a week a month or two they will be hanging up on you because you will be calling them every Saturday morning asking where there friend or relative is because there bill is not paid. Then there is marketing you will do plenty especially if you are not a manager. Calling everyone who even glaced at the acceptance now section that came in the store call them. The sales people will give you all of there customers numbers that have money down or furniture or those who they just gave there card too. The managers work 50 hours a week. And corporate wants us to leave our phones in the car and only be on it for a 30 minute lunch break and two fifteen minute breaks a day.My managers stayed on there phones and so did I texting talking and all. Yes so I gave you a long list of things to do but you are only being paid for one. Only managers get bousnes which is not fair. While there writing up a customers contract I'm answering phones, taking a payment at the counter,giving quotes, I got that customer in the store by my marketing and answering there 100 questions about how the program works. And I don't get a bouns no you won't .Then on top of all of the work they give you they give you more oh start calling all past due people on Sundays because if the customer you called three times a day for the past six days did not pay you or answer your calls Sunday is magical and they will today. The managers treat the conference calls as if there next breath depends on listening to every word. I worked for 9.50$ an hour for this headache. I couldn't wait to leave  less
Pros
the down time
Cons
managers take this mess too seriously
Can be great, but can be very bad as well...
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAMay 5, 2014
A typical day starts with you going over the Daily Activity Planner, or DAP, independently before starting on call-thru of your route. This usually consists of calling past due customers, but you will also have same day dues as well. The calling can be extremely boring, as most of your delinquent customers will not answer, or just bullcrap with you. It can be difficult when you first start because you don't realize how bad your customers are essentially running you over, but after your route doesn't close for a few weeks you will make the necessary adjustments and close or find another job. After the route is called, you take your lunch (which is only 30 minutes) then begin your deliveries and service calls for the day. During your down time, you will answer phones, assist on the sales floor, assist with showroom cleanliness, clean and refurbish returned merchandise, take payments, etc. You never really go without having SOMETHING to do, which is good as it passes the time well. After the last delivery, usually around 5pm, you call your route again. After that, print out run cards and hit the streets. This is the best part of the job, in my opinion, as you are truly working on your own and don't have to worry about somebody breathing down your neck. It is also the most out of the ordinary aspect of the job as well, seeing as how you spend a lot of time knocking on doors and picking up merchandise, which at times can tug on your conscious. After running, you return to the store, enter notes in the computer, drop merchandise back into inventory, print tags, clean and go home.  more...

I learned a vast amount on professionalism, customer service, dedication, and I even was able to mature a lot. I also learned a lot about how to deal with a vast array of unique situations.

This was my first job, and I worked under the best store manager in the company. (My Opinion) My store manager groomed me from a hard headed kid to a mature, professional young man. He had a direct impact on who I am today as a man and I have been able to apply what I learned while working here in every job since.

My co-workers, man, what can I say??? It was like a second family with them, and still is to this day. The relationship I have with all of them has never faltered...

The hardest part of the job was learning to handle some pretty ugly folks. Also, for me, the calling and occasional telemarketing. Another big issue with me was not having a whole lot of time to spend with my kids. I lived out of town, and the 50 hour week took its toll on my family life...

The single most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction you get when you help a customer through a difficult situation, it just cant be measured. Also the friendships you will build with your co-workers are great as well...

All in all, I had a good experience working for rent a center. The only bad thing I have to say is that home office dropped the ball on my medical situation, which ultimately cost me my job.
Pros
co-workers, building a reputation with your customers, and field (run) time.
Cons
some downright nasty people, low pay for what your dealing with, saturdays start really early, zero social life outside of work, and, for me anyways, dealing with home office.
Avoid this place at all costs
Credit Manager (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCApril 8, 2014
Let's go down the list, shall we?

Work/life balance: In short, there is no balance. You work 50 hours (often more) each week with no exceptions. On a typical day, I would arrive to work at 8:45 and not leave until at least 8 PM. One thing the management "forgot" to mention is the fact that you never have two days off in a row. Saturdays were mandatory. Trust me, if you value your free time or time with your friends and family, steer clear of this place.

Compensation: This is iffy at best. They start all Customer Account Reps off at $10.25 an hour.... Assistant Managers don't make much more at $11. The only reason the pay ended up being ok is because of the 10+ hours of overtime I had to put in every single week. Other than that, there is NO commission, even though you are expected to meet a certain quota in terms of sales. There are NO bonuses, unless you are a store manager.... they are salaried and start at about 40k. But when you factor in the overtime, the pay really wasn't at all fair for the amount of work this job required (more on that in a minute).

Job Security and Advancement: I will say that there is job security, but I got the vibe that upper management was often desperate to keep even the most mediocre of employees around due to the high turnover rate. I worked there for only 10 months, and in that time, all but one of the employees in my store found new jobs and left. As far as advancement, the district managers always had an eye out for anyone who seemed to want their own store. Above and beyond the store management positions, I wouldn't say there is ample
  more... room to advance.

Management: The management was a joke. Typical "I'll sit back and watch you do the work" kind of business, and the corporate management seemed to be ok with that attitude.

Job Culture: Awful. Horrible. Pathetic. The customers were rude, entitled, and often aggressive and threatening. Keep in mind that a large part of this job is collections on past due accounts. Too much of my time at this job was spent haggling/arguing with people who had our merchandise but basically refused to pay for it. If you were lucky enough to get the merchandise back, it would be your responsibility to go to the "customer's" home (I say "customer" because a real customer pays for your merchandise; perhaps we should refer to them as thieves) and haul heavy furniture out on a dolly. 9 times out of 10, these people lived on the second or third floor of an apartment complex, so the job was really quite physical, nearly to the point of being back breaking. Customers were confrontational, often starting arguments and shouting matches over a delinquent payment or refusing to return merchandise upon request. Some of the homes I was forced to enter were disgusting. A lot of our mattresses had bed bugs... I could go on and on... The point is, if you get a job here, you have to go into work every day expecting an argument with the customers.

ALL IN ALL.... steer clear of this place. I was lucky enough to find a much better job that is much less stressful.
Cons
awful customers, no work/life balance
always thankul in all things
executive demoted to assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 25, 2014
10-12 hours no-stop high pressured innumerable tasks often interrupted by lengthy horn-blowing conference calls that defy
the truth in actual success.

I learned how to do the job inside and out at all levels observing many managerial approaches and constant changes often to
the expense of time and customer management. My golden rule
customer approach is better business than the all out money grab
approach at a terrible price. Hard work here gets your managers promoted, and leaves you with a lifetime of regret on how they
devalue family life.

Had alot of great managers and co-workers @ all levels and from different stores and districts. Did all I could do to support, lead,
follow and grow with through alot of painful effort. During the last
year, observed a very negative change in broad spectrum of how
my region was managed. Just when you think you know somebody
think again. Thankful that when I trained people, I always informed them all managers will operate somewhat differently and brought out positive alternatives not in practice. Ratings review based upon last 2 years. It's all about now , right?

Leaving this large body of effort with not a thankyou, or even a glimpse of the truth in what I overcame and went through to support my family. Being instructed to was do things one way, then having most recent manager not back up or agree to what was decided. That constant a heavy load and customers shared the brunt of it.hour
All those lives I was in connection with for so many hours and nothing to become of it only because of the spiraling end to corporate gain over a better
  more... quality of life for those who had put
the time and effort in to enjoy an extra $1.94 per hour more than they were hired at 13 years ago. Lies and cover-up the special of
the day.

Working hard physically, mentally, and interacting with people.
Having a customer after 7 years of coming in store making payments
say to me, I always thought you were the manager." Heard this more than several times over the last 10 yrs and also them telling my manager what a great salesman I was, even though the last manager said I couldn't sell, but frequently led district in sales up until
the edging out of my expanded wage. Leavig without being able to say goodbye to some great people I've known over the years, and with no clue what they may have been told. People are more deceitfully clever than I would have ever imagined having been around a bit. Most thankfull for this 14 months of knowing my Father God to even greater depths in the presence of my saviour. JESUS.
No unemployment, and the way I was managed, leaving my family
in doubt of me, suffering great lack. Even so I count it as joy, for
I still believe God will supply and they will see Christ in me.
Much more of a win than ill gotten gain. Down to earth, heaven bound, and signing out.
Pros
days go quick for 10 hrs
Cons
flip-flop threatening management fear driven
Decent place to work....... if you have no soul.
Sales. Collections. Everything. +Whipping boy (Former Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaJanuary 23, 2014
I can reflect back on my time with Rent-A-Center the same way I imagine a horribly mistreated ex-spouse looks back on his/her failed marriage. It all starts out fine and dandy... then it all comes tumbling down in a miserable pile of blood, sweat and tears.

First comes the verbal abuse. Then come the threats.

Nothing ever seems to be good enough. Upper management has always 'been there and done that', so after they remind you of that fact for the millionth time, they proceed to toot their own horn for a couple more minutes then tell you how you SHOULD be doing your job, despite the fact that you are (most likely) understaffed and dealing with a boatload of other obstacles. You figure since they were apparently once in your shoes, they'd understand the kind of BS you deal with on a daily basis, however, something must happen during the transition from 'company underling' to 'upper level douchebag' that magically helps them forget about their life as a RAC peon. (Good for them)

If you can brown nose enough or somehow luck into an upper level position (oops, I mean get great numbers and work hard), then I guess you can pass the buck long enough to sustain a prosperous career with the company. Numbers are down? Fire a few managers and clean house at a few stores, problem solved. There are no advanced business practices or schemes in place here. Just some high school level educated turds who only care about profit and will burn down anyone who gets in the way or tries to rock the boat.

So stay in line, keep your nose clean (in a manner of speaking) and don't hesitate to throw
  more... your co-worker under the bus. It could very well save your job. AT least until the following week when numbers are down- the sky is falling and your head is on the chopping block again.

That husband or wife that stays in that abusive relationship for so many years... why do they continue to stay? Are they just numb to the abuse? Are they thankful for the mis-treatment? It's like they are conditioned to accept their tortured fate. RAC loves customers like that and especially employees like that. Pawns in their ever profiting numbers game. If you decide to wake up from your nightmare, they won't hesitate to cast you aside and replace you just like they do with customers. It's like a revolving door of pain and misery.

I at least owe thanks to RAC for dragging my expectations so low that I can now truly appreciate what it's like to be with a company that actually cares about its employees and appreciates and recognizes their accomplishments. So, thanks and GFY.
Pros
met some decent people. learned to appreciate myself, my friends, my family and my free time.
Cons
met some awful people. wasted several years of my life at this soul-sucking place of employment.

Comment – February 13, 2014

*Former employee. Duarte, CA Never has there been a company so focused on actively TRYING to find ways to terminate its "valued" employees. Mystery shoppers, mystery callers, surprise audits, an ever changing set of unattainable goals, etc. Maybe a focus on higher standards during the hiring process would alleviate the need to practice such bush league tactics. I had a hard time taking direction from arrogant, brown nosing shlubs who got their management "skills" from paperback "how-to" books. The typical RAC response to that would be, "Well, if you can't do the job, we'll find someone who can." Translation: "You have seen the light, time to find the next poor gullible employee to exploit." Apparently its better to just flat out replace an employee, than take the time to properly develop and nurture them. Then again, THAT would take skill and actual management know-how to execute properly... something 99% of RAC managers/DMs are incapable of. So keep sweeping the issues under the rug, throwing subordinates under the bus, and spitting out cliche after cliche to try and validate your existence.... there's a sucker born every minute. I played that game for a while... but eventually found the light. Thank goodness for that.

Customer Account Rep
Customer Account Rep (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 5, 2012
Oh my gosh, can I just say, don't apply at any of the stores!!!! I got hurt on the job and nobody cared. I had to leave this job because my boss lied about my pay and why he was hiring me in the first place. Let me just say that it stunk going to work daily and having a lazy boss. I got told from the first week "We don't hire females". Got barked at for being a Republican!!!! I got bad treatment from day one, because I was the only female in the store. I got asked my religion as well, by the way, that's an illegal question. It's also illegal to ask if someone is married w/ children!!! They broke so many laws it wasn't funny. Then when I couldn't go back to my job, they filed an appeal with unemployment and threatened to take it away. Soon after they withdrew it. They would've been sued for the misconduct they displayed to myself I was told in the interview I would be hired as an Asst Store Mngr, but I got the title, not the pay, just not the proper training or equal treatment from anyone at the office or their non caring H/R dept. That company is going to get a major lawsuit for misconduct with their employees. I chose not to pursue it b/c I just wanted out of there. Workers compensation was a pain too because their claim rep wasn't helpful and was rude as well. She sent me to a Dr that was the rudest Dr ever!!! He was rude to me and my husband from the start and he shoved us around like a dog on a leash when we were in his office. His staff and equipment were outdated and his attitude was unforgiving. DO NOT APPLY AT ANY RAC COMPANIES!!! SAVE YOURSELF FROM THE HASSLE AND TROUBLE.  more... My experience was the worst I have ever had and I would hope that someday they get what have coming to them because I didn't do anything wrong. I got told it's not our problem when my coworker stepped in on my sales, that it's acceptable to steal sales. Oh my gosh, no it's not I told them, not ever! I lost my position to a male at the office because, I didn't speak the "language" of most of our applicants! THIS WAS THE WORST EXPERIENCE AT ANY COMPANY. I hated it when my boss would outright lie to our customers and would pretend he'd be working on their issue and wasn't. It made me sick to my stomach to see this garbage on a daily basis. I finally told one of the customer's who was mistreated how my boss felt about her, she was so mad she moved her account to another RAC and they lost her business because of it. The collections manager mistreated her like trash and she wasn't late on her bill. I hated calling our customer's and their contacts every other day to tell them about our specials. Telemarketing stinks!!!! I enjoyed only one thing about this job, going home after 50 hour week!!!!! The best part is, I DON'T WORK THERE ANYMORE!!!!  less
Cons
see above

Comment – June 29, 2012

YOU KNOW IT'S UNFORTUNATE THAT YOU HAD THIS EXPERIENCE. I GUESS CERTAIN REGIONS HAVE THEIR ISSUES WITH POOR MANAGEMENT/TRAINING/AND JUST FOLLOWING THE PROCESS. MANY MANAGERS JUST START LOSING FOCUS ALTOGETHER...AND YOU KNOW WHAT HITS THE FAN. I AGREE 100% WITH YOUR CONTENTIONS....NO MANAGER IN ANY CAPACITY LEVEL...SHOULD ASK YOU....DURING AND INTERVIEW ( OR AFTER) ABOUT YOUR AGE, RELIGION, MARITAL STATUS...ETC....PERIOD. YOU HIRE THE BEST CANIDATE THAT WILL FILL THE NEEDS OF THE STORE....AND THEN YOU TRAIN THEM THE WAY YOUR WERE TRAINED....SURE YOU CAN ELECT A MENTOR....BUT WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO IT....THE STORE MANAGER IS THE MENTOR....HECK YOU HAVE TOO DO SOMETHING SPECTACULAR TO BE A STORE MANAGER WITH RAC. HOW THESE INDIVIDUALS TREATED YOU MAKE ME FEEL TERRIBLE BECAUSE I SPENT 8YEARS WITH THIS GREAT COMPANY AND RENT TO OWN IS IN MY BLOOD.....HECK I WOULD'VE FIRED EVERY PERSON IN THAT STORE AND YOU AND I WOULD'VE RAN IT UNTIL WE HIRED THE CORRECT TEAM...THROUGH TALEO OF COURSE....AND TOOK IT TO A MILLION DOLLAR STORE. I LEFT RAC 2YEARS AGO.....AND MY 8YEAR TENURE I'M VERY PROUD TO SAY THAT TWICE I HAD AN ALL FEMALE TEAM.....THEY WERE THE BEST GROUP OF LADIES I'VE EVER ENCOUNTERED....ONLY TWO REMAIN WITH THE COMPANY AND ONE IS RUNNING MY OLD STORE AT THE PRESENT TIME IN SAVANNAH, GA........HAVE A DAY!

Worst Job Experience of my Life
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  NCMay 1, 2013
Absolute horrid company to work for. I took the job because I had just graduated college and needed money. Worked there for 7 months and saw five people go, so no job security at all. Highly stressful environment. You will receive pressure from your manager and district manager to hit weekly sales and credit goals. You are only as good as your numbers and sales. The environment is like a soap opera so plenty of drama and shady coworkers. You will be threatened verbally and even sometimes physically by customers. You will have to go into absolutely filthy houses sometimes to deliver, repo and service RAC merchandise. You will sometimes have to deliver items as heavy as double-door refrigerators, living and bedroom sets, washer/dryer combos and 60" plasma screen TVs by yourself. Absolutely no work/life balance as you will spend anywhere from 48-50+ hours a week and will NEVER get two days off in a row unless you have vacation time. Typical day ranges from 8:00 a.m.-7:30-8 p.m. Short lunches, unrealistic expectations, demanding environment (physically and mentally) fraternization, corruption and moral depravity. They will expect you to do/say absolutely ANYTHING to get a sale out of a customer and yell at you when you can't get it back when the person stops paying for it. Horrible leadership. Your manager and district manager will make your experience either horrible or bearable at best. You work EVERY saturday and don't expect special consideration if you have children or significant others as the job always comes first. I'm single with no children or attachments and it was still  more... extremely difficult to find time to do anything outside of having Sunday and your (hopefully) one day off during the week. Only two sicks days a year (which you are eligible for after 90 days) and two weeks of vacation time after being employed for a year (most people don't last that long either from being fired or quitting.) It's all about money and the business and not you. Here, it's not "the squeaky wheel gets the oil," but "the nail that sticks out gets hammered down." Think long and hard before working here. Would not recommend to anyone. Stave off the instant gratification of money and consider your sanity and hold out for another opportunity elsewhere. I breathed the biggest sigh of relief I have ever breathed the day I walked out the RAC's doors for the last time and couldn't stop smiling the whole drive home.  less
Pros
weekly pay, travel, advancement opportunities
Cons
everything else

Comment – July 27, 2013

This is for the Williamston, NC store

always something to do
Credit Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJuly 26, 2012
clock in.(let me just say there really isn't a typical day at rent a center)(things don't always happen in this order) get the store rent ready.look at the daily activity planner. make round of collection calls. sales calls. preload the truck for deliveries then we take lunch. Clock back in and execute day according to the "DAP". Halfway through the days tasks make second call through. Continue with the rest of the deliveries.pickups and services and head back to the store. Depending on whether credit is high or if its decent, we will either make a third call through or go "running" which is basically field visits to those whom we have had a hard time trying to reach.. End of day procedures. clock out and go home. (theres alot more to a day at rent a center than i mentioned such as reorganizing the backroom, filling holes on the floor. returning, cleaning, and tagging merchandise. taking payments over the phone and at the counter. troubleshooting over the phone. all around customer service. handle legal documents. sales in store.

You learn something new everyday whether its work related or not, but mainly collections/ telemarketing, sales and u learn about the products u sell.

During my time there i worked at three different locations and i could say that the majority of the time management lacked understanding in operations and execution at some given time. always had time management issues with the way the days were planned. making poor decisions that mainly effect the Credit Account Reps without considering our input even though we had a better sense and understanding of
  more... the way something should go or should be to be as efficient as possible.

I myself don't consider any part of my job description at rent a center to be hard but if i had to choose something id say delivering a recliner sofa to a customer that resides on the second or third floor.

The most enjoyable part of the job would be meeting all kinds of people and being on the truck. As well as all the experience i gained during my time there.
Pros
employee purchase program, learn something new everyday, meet new people, its work and a workout all in one
Cons
long hours . pay could be better .slow advancement in ranks .

Want to know more about Rent A Center?

Ask a question
Not for everyone, company is not exactly employee-friendly
Account, Assistant Manager (04-07, 08-09) (Former Employee) –  Butler, PAMay 18, 2013
The work is definitely not easy starting out at the bottom, as it was rather labor intensive at times, because the clientele are generally people who leech off the government and don't work, and therefore their homes are not always the most pleasant. However, there are exceptions to this, though not overly common, whom are people who are decent and only rent to perhaps past credit problems. Generally you would work 4 weekdays, having either Tue, Wed, or Thurs, off, and then working Saturday, and having Sunday off. Store hours typically 9 or 10am - 8pm weekdays, 9-7 Saturdays, with 1/2 hour lunch, and breaks, if you can squeeze them in.

While you get some decent customer service experience in this job, you also will learn that a centralized corporate structure can be a real hassle in that what works in one store does not work everywhere else, or that being open early on Black Friday is a waste of time.

I worked for RAC in 2 separate stints, the first one starting out as an Account Manager then promoted to Assistant Manager, then returned 1 1/2 years later as an Assistant Manager. The first stint is was promoted after being there 2 years, though I feel I should have promoted much sooner based on my accomplishments, but another employee who had only been there a few months before me, who was younger and less educated got the promotion over me, perhaps in part he was friends with the store manager. About 6 months after my promotion, I opted to leave for another opportunity, but returned 1 1/2 years later and resumed my position because the store manager at this time was one of
  more... my former co-workers who was an assistant manager previously. While I was glad to resume my old position, I found coming back was not a good idea as the culture of the company changed a bit, and not for the better, perhaps in part due to a new district manager. The district manager from my first stint I respected much more and got along with, the new DM I did not care for at all.  less
Pros
travel on the road, get out of store, meet some decent people
Cons
pay not enough for work/hours, some inept management, unrealistic expectations of store goals
High stress poor work life balance nothing ever good enough
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  OHIOFebruary 19, 2013
Rent A Center as a manager is about as stressful as it comes. Anyone at a lower level is completely unstressed as upper management puts every little issue on the store managers head and uses it either directly or indirectly against you to threaten your career advancement or just your career in general. You are severly micromanaged no matter if you are a top performer or the bottom of the barrel, upper management would rather ride a good manager into the ground and make them take up the slack of a terrible manager than to do something about the bad manager especially if the bad manager is running a location that the district manager has no desire to step foot in. You recieve numerous calls a day asking you what you are doing if you are doing bad and this is everyday if you are doing good upper management finds something to nit pick about to keep you "focused" you get threatened by customers not all but a lot just because you expect them to make thier payments on time. All in all it is a good job for someone that has absolutley nothing else to do and doesn't mind taking mental abuse and being lied to about moving up the chain so you will perform well for them, once you become a store manager you have to be asked to participate in a training session to become a district manager and if you haven't completed the program you can not even apply to be considered to become a district manager and some of the district managers they have get demoted because they won't even do an inventory but they creat fraudulent documents saying that they do them but they don't its a joke,The company  more... does pay good but you have to pay 1/4 of your paycheck every week for thier worthless benefits package, but the stress and sacrifice isn't worth it in the end. Proceed with caution!  less
Pros
good pay good bonuses if you rock the house employee discounts
Cons
rip off customers on some new stuff like video game systems and used stuff, not for someone who has kids, micromanagement
Productivity
Customer Accounts Representative (Current Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYNovember 12, 2014
A typical day at work is always nerve wrecking due to the energy of your supervisor. Due to the fact that his/her job is hung over his/her head by their superiors they do the same to us. No matter how much effort we work at and actually accomplish that day, its still seen as we are not contributing to do our jobs. Normally I start by trying to collect on my accounts that are past due, then try to be out and ready for deliveries so I do not have to sit in the office.
So far what I have learned since working here is that no matter how long or hard you have worked in this company your job is never secure even when in events of success. You as an employee is held responsible for your customers neglect in which your job can be relinquished as well. Company standards change often throughout the year trying to innovate better ways at success but only makes it worse/harder for employees to follow through with their customers. So the main thing I have learned is to always work as hard as you can regardless the pressure or stress you endure.
Management is not the best but also is not the worst. As I've mentioned before due to our manager being stressed he speaks to us unfashionably rude and threatens our jobs. BUT there are days when evenly mellow we all can come to an understanding with reasoning. So overall the balance lays pretty even far as a good and bad level of management.
My co-workers are my family. We all treat one another as family due to all the time we spend with one another than at home with our own families. We try to work together as a team to accomplish our goals, as
  more... well as picking up one another slack to help our team stay ahead of our schedule.
The most enjoyable part of the day is delivering merchandise to some customer and the whole family light up with excitement and joy. The best part of the job is making other people happy when they see the products they've wanted so bad finally in their homes.
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
one break, extremely long hours daily
Company care about profits not employees or customers
CAR (Former Employee) –  PAAugust 5, 2012
You must enjoy credit calls and repo merchandise in person since thats the focus of your position. They claim great room for advancement and promise you the world if you work hard but few will actually stay long enough to prove it since you will realize the pay isnt worth the stress and/or they will let you go if you dont agree with their corporate politics. Its the mgr's way or the highway and they have no problem telling you so. They sell,sell,sell and overload the customer and then you will spend the next few weeks calling the customer and every relative,friend or associate to track them down. That part of the job sucks and the mgr will say "What are you doing to solve the problem?" Everything is your fault. It just gets old real quick. Same thing every day start 9-9:30 sit and make credit calls for 2 hours, then start getting files ready for todays deliveries,start cleaning items that need to go today that someone sold and didnt look at first, Never enough room in the back room for merchandise, it gets to be a real hazard. The mgr would prefer 1 man to break his back making deliveries instead of 2. The company doesnt care about employees as long as theyre making record profits. Expected to be over 3billion this year. The prices for used merchandise is ridiculous,but thats for the customers who shop here and they exploit that. If they had credit they wouldnt need RAC. I miss nothing and finally happy I left. You have to put a price on family time,pride,and your piece of mind. After 5 months you ill make 10.00 hour but its not worth what you have to put up with to get it.  more... Mandatory 9-10 hr O.T.  less
Pros
weekly pay, benefits offered but few can afford them, employee purchase option but few can afford to actually use it.
Cons
managers attitude, high turnover, 9.75hr, ridiculous hours=no life, ridiculous stress, drama between employees, favortism, slow company computers with outdated systems, take advantage and harass customers
Fast paced sales environment with plenty of room to grow.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Smithfield, NCNovember 14, 2013
My day starts off with going over the days activities and scheduled deliveries and returns as well inputting goals for account managers and assistant managers as well tasks that need to be completed. Go over previous days profits and expenses. Check transactions and receipts; review call logs and approve customer files; do store appearance check list; inventory store; do rounds of interaction with customers and setup sales appointments; take payments; and do training throughout day as needed; call broke credit commits; and begin rent-ready of store merchandise; insure employees are on task with lunch and truck readiness; do sales calls; input new leads; check mail and send out mail as needed; input customer orders; review product knowledge software; check phone shops and video shops; call credit once more; do rent-ready; count down money do end of day process.

I have learned how to manage customers as well employees, train, develop and mentor people. I have developed great people skills and how to manage difficult situations. I have worked my way up to become eligible for district positions, as well become a certified trainer for my district for all new hires who come in.

My coworkers have become family due to the time invested in them as well the time spent with them. I have managed to change the lives of many for the better by furthering them in their own careers with the company and have gotten the opportunity to watch them grow as successful business people.

The hardest part of my job is the time spent away from my family. My role in the company has made it difficult
  more... for me to give my family the personal attention they deserve.

The most enjoyable part of my job is that I have changed the lives of my fellow coworkers, and made a respectable name for myself with the company.
Pros
incentives, bonus, and trips
Cons
no work life balance
Break Your back labor without the compensation
Customer Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAMay 14, 2014
Typical day we start by having a morning meeting going over any details or future upcoming events, we review what deliveries we have for the day and prepare accordingly.

We typically start calling customers who are due for a payment on their accounts using the rent-a-center hi-touch customer account system.

I usually make anywhere from 50-100 calls a day or more depending how bad their delinquent status is on their account. After 3 or 4 hours of calling then we load the truck up with what deliveries we have to make.

Some deliveries are extremely hard, once i had to deliver a fridge up stairs on the 2nd floor of a apartment by myself. So you don't always have help and the risk for injury is high. I hurt my back working for here.

After our deliveries we come back and continue calling, there are also times when customers come in and make payments or are interested in purchasing or in this case, "renting" and we help them out by narrowing down what type of item they need or are looking for.

The hours sometimes are false advertisement. There have been numerous times when it was 8pm (time to go home) and I'm still out doing deliveries or when I come back the manager, which doesn't pull or contribute at all, has me do one more delivery, which is annoying because I've been breaking my back all day and i want to go home.

This is the type of job that you cant wait to go home because the pay is so mediocre and the labor is so rough.

Some of the positive things I took from this job that I learned involved customer service, how to move furniture and other heavy objects, I also learned
  more... about sales techniques, what questions to ask, how to gather information by asking open and closed ended questions.  less
Pros
happy customers, weekly paycheck, paid holidays, co-workers
Cons
back breaking labor, minimum wage, poor management
Say goodbye to life!
Credit Manager (Former Employee) –  Williamston, NCJanuary 11, 2013
50+ hours a week minimum sounds great and your bank account will love it, but say goodbye to family and friends, because this company has no idea what a work/life balance is. It's all about the money. You will be expected to lie to customers, break company policies, protect your manager and take the fall even when he/she is wrong. Oh, and if it's discovered that you are doing any of the aforementioned shady things, it's your behind on the burner, not the people who told you to do those things. Do not expect to speak out about any wrongdoings, because management will just begin scrutinizing your every move in order to find ANY flaw to latch onto as an excuse get rid of you before you cost them their jobs. Your hard work and dedication will only result in becoming stuck in your current position, with higher ups telling you conflicting stories depending on the weather. If you do happen to advance, it will be one part luck and one HUGE part kissing the manager and district manager's posterior as often as possible, and keeping your mouth shut about everything. As terrible as it was to lose a job, I have breathed no bigger sigh of relief than the first Saturday morning I woke up and realized I no longer had to bring stress home with me that night as I wondered if my job was in danger because of not being able to control 200+ people paying their bills. I enjoyed my weekend for the first time in two years. This job will turn you into a hateful, despicable, lying, backstabbing person, no matter how nice you are when you start working here. I speak from experience. If you take a position  more... with Rent A Center, be prepared for the company to be the only thing in your life...and to not matter to said company one bit.  less
Pros
good pay for entry level position
Cons
no organization, no time for personal life, negative work environment, the list goes on and on
Jobs like these are the reasons that unions were created in the first place.
Customer Account Representative/Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Triad, NCMay 28, 2013
- The pay is enough to keep you afloat if you're only looking to live paycheck to paycheck.
- You will constantly be expected to perform the work of two employees because their business model is designed to remain permanently understaffed. If you are a man, this is even worse because the company caters to its female employees, meaning men should expect to get injured due to constant physical stress at some point in time during their employment.
- Unless you like being micro-managed, I doubt you'll enjoy the treatment you get from your superiors, and you will be under a constant struggle with your superiors to be deceptive in order to meet the quotas that are necessary to keep your job.
- You will be required to split your days off (Sunday and one other mid-week day), which for most of my former coworkers made them feel like they never got enough rest on their breaks. You will not be able to get any holidays off. On top of that, they can extend your shift without any kind of notice whatsoever. You will become a target for termination if you ever have any plans that prevent you from working extra hours during a shift, or coming in to cover on a scheduled day off.

I'm not disgruntled. I recognize that there are people out there who are workaholics with no family and no hobbies. For those people, this job will not be a problem. But for most people that I worked with during the course of my employment with the company, every single day was a feeling of job insecurity, knowing that you could be fired at any point in time and replaced with someone who was desperate enough for a paycheck
  more... to do whatever they asked.  less
Pros
employee benefits were decent (if you were employed long enough to qualify for them)
Cons
everything else.
Most poorly run major corp. in America
Store manager (Former Employee) –  IndianaMarch 9, 2013
If you are considering a "career" with this company, read the following very carefully. It is 100% correct, with no exaggerations from a former manager at RAC for quite a while. This company:
1. Can't get product to its stores. You lose 5-8 sales a week because of their pathetic replenish through the vendors system. And managers do NOT order - that is done for them. You will spend hours of time and tons of gas driving everywhere to try to get product. And, despite their pathetic system, they constanty complain about sales.
2. Will make you harass former customers with solicitation calls, every day. The same unfortunate people over and over. They can't get you product, they make you harass your customers constantly and pickup product if customers are late, so.... they make you call them back 2 days later and beg to get the customer back. Its a vicious cycle of stupidity.
3. Threatens the manager's day off constantly; this is awesome if you enjoy being threatened by a DM who is being threatened by his RD, both of whom spend all day during nothing.
4. Fires managers constantly. Everything is the SM's fault.
5. Pretend that they are concerned about your "work-life balance" (see #3) after they get done yelling because you left at 7:50 p.m. on Tuesday (and only worked 55 hrs last week)
In short, run, don't walk, away from a job offer from these idiots. Benefits are lousy, the stress is unbelievable, you never get two days off in a row, you are threatened weekly, and you also get to deal with stressed out, poor customers who can't make their payments and won't return the product. Personally,
  more... I would live in a cardboard box before I would work here again. And, as an aside, I was pretty successful. Imagine how much I'd have liked RAC if I'd sucked.....  less
Pros
the checks don't bounce
Cons
culture, systems, benefits, hours
RAC does not comply with their own Mission Statement
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Various CitiesMarch 8, 2015
The RAC Mission Statement is to improve the lives of their customers and coworkers. They fall very short of accomplishing this regardless of the minimal support they give to organizations surrounding their headquarters in Plano, TX. District Managers consistently threaten managers and employees with losing their jobs unless they meet absurd goals. Threat management is a key component of their middle/upper management. Customers are treated like numbers rather than individuals with unique situations and problems. Don't get me wrong, I have come across a select few that excel in this job and do very well since they care about the coworkers and customers, but I would estimate 70% of this company falls short of the company's Mission Statement. As far as work/life balance, forget about it - especially if you are a manager. Everyone is expected to be available 8am-8pm M-S. The only reason you're off on Sunday is because the store is closed. Pay is rather mediocre considering the stress management puts on you. Be prepared to pay around $6000 per year for family insurance (medical, dental, vision, disability, etc.) Absolutely absurd considering the company does over $3 billion dollars in revenue per year. Advancement tends to cease around the Store Manager level because people see the company for what it is and quit, they do something immoral/illegal and get fired, or there simply aren't frequent openings for District Manager positions. Office politics are quite prevalent and usually determine who stays, who goes, and who gets promoted. Overall, my recommendation is to pass up any opportunity  more... with RAC unless you are willing to sell your soul.  less
Pros
salary plus bonus starting at the store manager level
Cons
everything else