Rent A Center Employee Reviews for Store Manager

horrible
Store manager (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSNovember 20, 2017
horrible place to work, low pay, micro managed, overworked, work in horrible conditions, district manager was bi-polar, always change policies, no raises, backstabbing
Stressful but solid
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Monticello, NYNovember 16, 2017
I worked for RAC for many years had ups and downs but overall I would work for them again I worked from CAR to SM and had a rough DM but got a better one but my store was then closed.
Pros
decent job good pay
Cons
stressful
Stressful, under appreciated
Store Manager/Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INNovember 8, 2017
I worked for the company for over 10 years. In that time you are required to not only do the rent to own side covering contracts, but you are also required to deliver or pick up the merchandise if not paid for. Do field visits to customers homes if merchandise is not paid for, and up to 600 calls per day trying to collect money on unpaid contracts. Stores were required to meet credit standards every week and if they were not reached you would be written up, had to work until 9pm, 2 hours after the store closed, or be told that they can find someone else that can do your job for a lot less than what they are paying you.
Pros
Insurance benefits
Cons
poor management at the DM level, very long hours, no weekends off
Not good
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXNovember 7, 2017
Had to many issues it's not about what u did today it's about what u doing tomorrow. Great numbers don't mean nothing threaten to get fired alot and no raises at all. Just stressed place to work at the time
Pros
Meeting new people
Industry
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  McKeesport, PANovember 3, 2017
Typical work day is 8 am start and make past due calls and then set the truck up for returns and or deliveries for that day.

What I learned was how not to Manage.

Culture was cut throat. Everyone wanted to be the next big thing so loyalty among store employees was very minute.

The hardest part of the job was zero work life balance. Hard on Family and marriage.

That I learned to be a Manager and all the Financial aspects that go into Store Management
Pros
Learning Culture, Fast paced, Never a dull moment, Learn Customer service and how to follow up.
Cons
No work life, benefits were costly, always being yelled at from upper management
fun work place
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLNovember 2, 2017
It was a very fun place to work I love it a lot .And I had a lot of fun working there. The stuff and my Co-workers are great.,Management was wonderful.
I would not recommend it
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Iola, KSOctober 28, 2017
long hours, no home life. you have to make account calls, do deliveries and then if you have the time, you make sales calls or you go out visiting past due customers.
Pros
40 hours gauranteed
Cons
too much for just one person
High Energy Fast Paced
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 25, 2017
I learned a great deal from my tenure with the company. It set me on a path for success. Coworkers were the best part of the job! Hard to maintain company standards at all time
Pros
Cons
Collections
Asst. Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 24, 2017
On the phone with customers for payments and on the road for deliveries and pick-up. Sales all day long. The most enjoyable part of the job was the competitive on sales floor in who would get the most sales.I have learned to do budget for the store.The hardest was getting customers to pay on time.
Pros
1 hour, good healthcare
Cons
No cons
Gave me a starting point
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 24, 2017
I would personally never go back to RAC after being there 8 years+ but it did give me a chance at getting my first management role. The work/life balance is non existent. If you have a family I would stay away.
Pros
Manager
Cons
pay
Great opportunities if upper management likes you
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Augustine South, FLOctober 23, 2017
Lots of favoritism, and if your not one they ask to hang out with after hours, you can pretty well assume your not going to get promoted very quickly.
Pros
Type of business can be fun and rewarding
Cons
Favoritism
Very stressfull, followed with job security pressure
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  MichiganOctober 22, 2017
Long days, filled with threats form upper management about performance. Unethical practices from upper management. Work place culture evolved around unethical practices to produce a number. Hardest thing about job, was our standard way of how we were to treat our customers to hit a number.
stress full
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Holyoke, MAOctober 13, 2017
Very stressful job. Gotta have the right mind set to work here. If you're good with customer and have patience than its good for you , also if your interest in working OT this is a job for you.
they over work you
General Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bell, CAOctober 13, 2017
I worked at rent a center for 7 years and felt this was a thankless job and they always want more and make you feel threatened if you don't do as they want.
benefits
Cons
hours and quality of life
Good Paing job, Slow Career advancement
CUSTOMER ACCOUNT REPRESENATIVE/ STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Alamo, TXOctober 9, 2017
you will see your kids grow before your eyes. No work life balance. pay is not worth the stress. Your job is threatened everyday. You will be at work from sun up to sun down. job security is a scary topic. advancement is easy. coworkers are good to be around. they become your family because you see them more than your own. time off work is non existent except for Sunday.
Pros
Discounted prices, incentives, good pay
Cons
long hours, stressful, hard on ur family life
no work life balance.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  OhioOctober 3, 2017
you will see your kids grow before your eyes. no work life balance. pay is not worth the stress. your job is threatened everyday. no job security. you will be at work from sun up to sun down. job security is a scary topic. advancement is easy. upper management has never worked at the store level and does not understand rent to own and that is why company is where its at. coworkers are good to be around. they become your family because you see them more than your own. time off work is non existent except for Sunday.
Pros
free lunchs here and there.
Cons
work life balance. 8am-9pm everyday.
Fast Pace
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  MarylandOctober 1, 2017
Working with people to own brand name product , with a pay as you go method. good work environment , great customer service. always working with the people
Pros
Pay, Hours
Cons
Good for the right person
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OH 44109September 26, 2017
Very fast paced, competitive company. Can be rewarding if you apply yourself to conform to large constantly changing industry. physically and mentally draining at times.
life
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 26, 2017
be prepared to not have a life, might as well move in the back of the store because you will live there aand have no home life. everything is based off of that company and they do not care about your home life
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
no home life
No job security.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Arkadelphia, ARSeptember 22, 2017
There isn't any kind of job security at all. Actually the longer you work there the better chance of them finding a way to fire you. If you want to make a career out of a job look some place else.
Pros
Competitive pay
Cons
No life outside of work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rent A Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6