Rent A Center
1,542 reviews

Rent A Center Employee Reviews

Good plsce to work I learned a lot
Credit Manager (Former Employee), Memphis, TNJune 12, 2015
Overall a nice place to move up. I was able to utilize a lot of learned skills. The staff I worked with were very helpful and friendly.
I've never worked a job where they steadily decrease your pay year after year.
Whatever they want me to do that day...... (Former Employee), WVJune 11, 2015
Pros: Most customers are loyal and great to deal with.
Cons: Crazily overpaid management, confrontating repossessions, DM or SM seem to make up the rules day by day.
Highly overpaid management makes for a hostile environment where the higher ups are making a killing in bonuses while the people doing the foot work are seen as peasant ants that can be replaced at the drop of a hat. It's hard to justify in your head that someone just one title ahead of you is pulling in ~100k a year while you are making ~28k while doing noticeably more labor intensive work and also out-selling them. The RAC bonus earnings need a serious overhaul if they ever plan to keep anyone other than people the over-paid decided to become buddies with.

They are taking away guaranteed overtime hours as well which will lead to about a 12% decrease in weekly pay. They have stated that this is so that the reps can receive more time with their families, but at the same time are now requiring employees to take a one hour unpaid lunch so they can make sure the shifts are still covered properly. So, they are "giving" us 5 less hours per week, but now 2.5 of that will be spent waiting to go back to work. How is this focusing on my family? It's a silly attempt to cover the fact that the rich want to get richer while still covering their rear.
good overall job
Store Manager (Former Employee), Monticello, NYJune 11, 2015
Good place to work just long work hours daily and weekly. You have to work 48 hours and work 10 hour days from early morning to late night
Not very enjoyable all of the time.
Customer Account Rep/Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Wahiawā, HIJune 10, 2015
Pros: pay decent, easy work for the most part
Cons: 48-50 hours a week, short breaks if any
I enjoyed who I worked with however the expectations of sales while still being out on the road all day delivering furniture was a little questionable. Also having to do collections wasn't my idea of fun. I hated seeing people who had a bad month financially, having their couch or bed taken away. Especially when I knew that's where their entire family was having to sleep. Management was pretty nice overall to me but apparently a few people did not like our district manager but thats not my problem.
Very challenging and fast paced business
Store/Program Manager (Former Employee), Pontiac, MIJune 9, 2015
It is a rent to own business. Rent various products to customers who does not have great credit and cannot go to department store to purchase. Very challenging and fast paced business.
Best for Singles
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Fall River, MAJune 9, 2015
Pros: Employee Purshase, Pay
Cons: Long Hours, Working on Sat.
This job wasnt the worst, and probably not the best for most people. Its just best for people whom dont have a family or wife to go home to, due to the long hours during the week, and working on sat. If they made shorter shifts, perhaps 2 shifts it would be alot better, I learned alot, cleaned alot and met people from all works of life. I had the best coworkers, and DM. He was tough, but thats how you have to be in this industry.Pay was good as well
No work/life balance
Customer Account Representative (Current Employee), Clearwater, FLJune 9, 2015
I worked at Rent-A-Center

Doesn't Recommend

Negative Outlook

Pros

No formal qualifications needed; reasonably rapid advancement with demonstrated success.

Cons

I have worked in rent-to-own for 2 years with two national companies, and the industry itself is a brutal whirlwind of personnel changes.

So, the goal is to find the best people who can demonstrate excellent retail sales skills (and build a uninterrupted track record of positive results), know the stock of their own store (as well as same-district stores) as well as the supply chain, and have a detailed in-depth…

Advice to Management

I acknowledge management is in a spot. They never will staff a store, the way I would, to have sustainable growth with reasonable collections, and provide the kind of world-class customer service management continually exhorts us to have.

Instead, management continues to lump successful stores in districts with unsuccessful stores, so the profitable stores pull the weight for the whole district. A district with a net profit of any kind then…
It's OK
Store Manager (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 8, 2015
It is a fun job and I love all the people I help, but the balance with work and home is not there. I am at work all the time. And to be fair it is what I signed up for and knew all about the long hours but my life has changed and i need a change.
Active environment with various skill levels
Customer Accounts Manager (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJune 8, 2015
Great environment for one that likes task variety. However, very taxing on individuals with families because of the variability of hours worked and uncertainty of daily schedules.
Stressful work environment
Manager (Former Employee), Madison, WIJune 8, 2015
Pros: Great pay and benefits
Cons: Too much stress
I have worked with this company for many, many years. It is very stressful because you perform your job to the best of your ability and you still get threatened with losing your job.
GREAT
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 7, 2015
Pros: GREAT WORKING ENVIORNMENT
Cons: SHORT BREAKS
I ENJOY WORKING AT THIS PLACE ESPECIALLY IF YOU CAN GET ALONG WITH THE STAFF MAKES IT MORE LIKE HOME! BEING ABLE TO BUILD RAPPORT WITH THE CUSTOMERS AND HELPING THEM WITH THEIR EVERYDAY NEEDS.
Conscientious, Sedulous, Productive
Account Representative (Former Employee), Kankakee, ILJune 7, 2015
Pros: Were able to win plaques and sales contest.
Cons: Had to collect money to hit company standards each week.
Was customer service selling and setting up customer deliveries in a friendly timely manner. How to understand customer needs and how important time management was. With good leadership skills in a team atmosphere. Was to arrive on time for customer deliveries do to unexpected circumstances. To see customers happy and satisfied with are services.
enjoyed my job but didnt have a life outside of work
Sales Associate/Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Harrisburg, PAJune 7, 2015
Pros: paycheck, advancement opportunities, pay raise often
Cons: hours
a lot of hours!!this is not a family oriented job. If you got kids but dont have a baby sitter this job is not for you. Its better if you have older children but if you have younger children its hard to manage both jobs!
ImprovingThe Quality Of Life For Coworkers & Customers
Lead Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJune 5, 2015
Pros: Competitive Salary
Cons: NO personal time for your family
Performance based environment.

I have learned that the people piece in this business is very important when establishing yourself as the new servant leader.

Management was not very supportive at times and left you in the cold.

The hardest part of the the job was active communication with senior management.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people daily and wonderful ways to impliment change for the better.
The job is good but not accurate on advancement and job description
Customer account Rep/Assistant Manager (Former Employee), MetairieJune 5, 2015
Pros: customer service skills, meeting new people
Cons: advancement opportunities not really accurate
• Start off cool and varied as the schedule went on ruff at times but maintainable.
• Customer's are not always right and they have many people who need different types of treatment.
• Management's a lil ruff around the edges but maintainable.
• Dealing with difficult customers when retrieving merchandise.
• Meeting different people and opportunities to run the store.
Never Satisfied
Manager in Training (Former Employee), SCJune 4, 2015
Demanding sales culture that is never satisfied with anything that is ever done. Collection side of business is setup for the failure of most employees.
Fast pace environment
Account Manager (Former Employee), Bend, ORJune 4, 2015
 Supervised and coordinated activities of workers engaged in resolving customer problems concerning matters, such as merchandise, service, and billing.
 Reviewed customer complaints correspondence, noted any suggestions and assigned complaints to customer complaint clerks.
 Trained and assisted clerks in examining pertinent data to determine accuracy of customer complaints.
 Advised subordinates on handling difficult customer complaints or handled complaints personally.
 Trained and managed 5 employees in customer service, sales, account management, and debt collections.
Stress filled
Customer Account Representative (Current Employee), Hartford City, IndianaJune 3, 2015
Pros: Employee purchase, good wage
Cons: Everything else
Management cannot figure out why the average employee only last 18 months and then takes away the promised day off for the 4th of July then gives a different day off "to spend time with family" never mind that the families will be working.
I enjoyed the people i worked with that made it fun
Cridet account representative (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAJune 3, 2015
Pros: Great benaffites, great compensation, and vast oppertunities
Cons: It is physical and demanding at times and the hours are long
I would have to move furniture most of the day because I did not do sales, I would some times have to deal with rude people, and maintain credit, Meaning if the customer did not pay I would have to hunt him down by knocking at his residence or calling him and living door hangers at his home.
great company, stressful enviorment
Account Manager (Current Employee), Durham, NCJune 3, 2015
Pros: bonuses, weekly pay, able to go out in the city instead of being stuck in an office
Cons: customers who are mean and very rude, team members who are envious of your success
the company is awesome. provides great benefits, 401k, health, disability etc. however it becomes stressful when it comes to collections and payments. you have to deal with dishonest customers on a daily basis sometimes becoming irrate and the only thing you are trying to do is your JOB. sales are pretty easy you will need great persuasive skills because the merchandise is priced at a high value. small staff you become very close to because you work more than 45 hours a week with them.

About Rent A Center

Our stores offer name-brand furniture, electronics, appliances and computers through flexible rental purchase agreements that – Read more

Rent A Center Salaries