Republic Services Employee Reviews in United States

Great family
Diesel Technician (Former Employee) –  Mayfield, KYJuly 10, 2016
i loved working there if you can get use to the smell. co-workers were great the job was awesome and the benefits and pay were great but i would have to say as a multi million dollar business they don't give you much time to adjust, the owners where ever they are said my work was professional in every way and done it well but my productive level was low so Im sorry but we are going to have to let you go.
Pros
takes care of their family
Cons
management
Horrible Company To Work For
Scale Attendant (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJuly 8, 2016
Horrible place to work!! The management has no clue how to treat employees. If your good to your people they'll be good to you, it's common sense which management lacks. Wages are terrible. 9 years with the company and they hired someone at a hire wage than me doing the exact same job as me. Disrespectful, horrible management!! Schedule changes are constant, you would never know if you were able to make plans or if it would change at the last minute with NO notification. Favoritism, what was good for one person wasn't so good for another. The 5 R's are a joke...practice what you preach!! Horrible work environment with no compassion from management. There were more work claims at our division than anywhere due to the fact that the scale house was not "work friendly". Hard mats to walk on, sliding glass doors that you open and close all day long because YOU have to go outside to the customer which should be a big no no since your walking away from a cash drawer. There are too many negatives with this huge corporation to list, long story short..I would rather clean toilets at a prison than ever work for this company again!!!
Pros
Great Co-Workers
Cons
Horrible management
Horrible Corporation
Scale Operator/Gate Attendant (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJuly 7, 2016
Low morale due to horrific management, daily bullying by management, expected to be on-call but will not pay to be on-call, always negative, work 12-14 hour shifts without breaks, sometimes no lunches, different rules for different people, I got the highest raise out of all the scale operators for being there 1 year, and got .20cents per hour extra, no set schedule.
Cons
sometimes no lunches or breaks, management bully employees.
Age should not be a road block!
Driver (Current Employee) –  Kilgore, TXJuly 5, 2016
I would just like to say this company will not hire people over fifty I do not know why they claim to be not bias but they are!!!!!!i have tried very hard to get my friends and family hired but since they are over the age of fifty they are not Hired!!!!!!! I thought that Republic had got in trouble about this years ago and they had changed????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Pros
Country air
Cons
That dreaded camera in the truck!!!!
Worst job I've ever had
Driver (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 2, 2016
Management is terrible. Rookie supervisors that have never driven a truck that work with lead drivers to get answers because they are incompetent. Management are trained to lie in order to protect the company.Everything is about the numbers. They write your numbers and weekly percentages on a board for everyone to see and judge you by.They have what they call "lead drivers" that call themselves your boss but are not really your boss because they are not allowed to make a decision on their own. Buddy system and good ole boy favoritism in full effect. Moral is amazingly low. Everybody is usually scared that they are going to get fired or suspended. Equipment is junk. Only larger or training facilities get the good equipment. They expect you to work with broken or dysfunctional equipment. Mechanics are really bad. Can't even change a tire. Everything is a patch job or fabricated part. The safety points award system is a joke and a fraud because the credit you supposedly earn is taken out of your check. Republic Services generates an annual revenue income of 9.12 Billion dollars a year and starts its drivers out at 13.00 - 15.00 an hour.
Pros
paid holiday
Fun Workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 29, 2016
This company is a good company to work for. Co-workers treat you like family not co-workers. I loved working here and I would go back anytime
Good pay but god awful work equipment.
Driver (Current Employee) –  ClevelandJune 29, 2016
The pay is pretty good, Better than most places you will find.
The equipment is very very outdated and does not work more than half the time. Always breaking down or trucks catching on fire. Most of the trucks they send us out in are unsafe and look very bad. It really boggles my mind everyday just looking at what they send me out in to represent the company. One day one of these trucks are going to kill an innocent person. The mechanics are lazy and do not fix a thing. The rear end on 80% of the trucks are bad and ready to fall off at any giving minute. It's not equal opportunity employment. They do what they want and do have favorites. I stay because the pay is good. If I could find another job that pays almost as much as they do I would be gone and never look back. I never get to spend time with my family I am always there working 12-14 hours a day and my work week is broken up.
Pros
Pay day
Cons
Unsafe trucks
Good Benifits
Waste Collector (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJune 25, 2016
Worked long hours and traveled long distance to job.
The thing I learned was they didn't find help for some of their workers when they needed it.
The management team did work well with making sure our trucks were in good working order.
My co-workers were pleasant to work with
Hardest part was the late nights from home.
I did enjoy working on my own
Pros
Good pay, great benifits
Cons
Late hours
Great PLace to work
Truck Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 23, 2016
This is a great place to work however the pay is low if they raise the pay a little more people would not leave they really show you that they want you there
Pros
Great place to workthey value you there
Cons
They dont pay any money
Terrible place to work
Lead technician (Former Employee) –  Bishopville, SCJune 22, 2016
I was a mechanic for republic for almost 10 years. The management is horrible. After leaving my salary is 6 dollars more an hour at my new job. I was a first shift mechanic in bishopville where my duties consisted of door traffic, road calls, big scheduled repairs etc. since I've left they haven't found a stable mechanic to handle the work load. They have since fired the general manager who not ever listen to anyone on the help that was needed. So glad to be gone from this olace
Texas Area Office is Terrible
Would not like to say (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 14, 2016
Do not work in the Texas area office, you will get fired. Especially if you are female. Particularly stay away from the Finance Group.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
No healthcare for 3 months, bad management, bad culture
No mirco-managing
Collections Credit Anaylst (Current Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCJune 9, 2016
Great working hours 8-5, excellent group of people to work with. Celebrate monthly birthdays etc, # of years of service and snacks
Every day tasks
Line Lead (Former Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MNJune 7, 2016
Work every day was simple, I would turn the machine on and check if there is any possible jam on the conveyor belt, then dump associates' bucket full of p.e.t trash. If there was a jam in the machine I would try it in maintenance mode, if that wasn't possible I shut the system down and get in the machine to unjam the machine with crowbar or whatever is necessary to remove the item that was causing the jam. Breaks are cut short since the company doesn't tolerate lateness so we would lose 2 minutes of break every day. Lunch is 30 minutes,but management always tell you what you need to do after lunch, but it's pretty much same thing every day yet they don't believe that I know what to do even though I have worked there for a while and have experience. If you were to do something that is wrong or your supervisor doesn't agree to they will tell you to do it a certain way and chew you out which is unprofessional. The supervisor on the shift would yell at the sorters if they're not picking fast enough. Every day was a constant war with management not being able to realize that you do what you can and not what you can't. Overall if you plan to just find a job to for experience this is a start, but I would not recommend this company because they don't treat their employees like they claim they do, if you don't like the smell of trash don't bother, if you are slow you are tend to get fire and if you disagree or do something that the management disagrees you'll get fired like me because the company "claim" I was just standing around doing nothing yet the dirt and dust on my vest totally  more... disagree with that claim, but if you ask my honest opinion don't bother working here, the amount of unnecessarily drama is not worth the stress and pay look somewhere else  less
Pros
hours
Cons
management, little pay, no life, almost no benefits
amazing coworkers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 5, 2016
I love love loved my co-workers- we had such an amazing team. Pay and benefits were great also, if my scheduled would have been able to be adjusted I would have stayed,
Decent employer
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Kilgore, TXJune 1, 2016
Were'nt consistent across the board in pay for everyone doing the same job, regardless of seniority.Not a lot of opportunity for avdancement
Pros
DECENT PAY AND BENEFITS
Cons
SUBSTANDARD EQUIPMENT
Horrible place to work
Roll Off Driver (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCMay 24, 2016
Horrible place to work, the pay is horrible and the management has no idea what they are doing. They give you very old trucks to drive and they are very unsafe. do work work for this company. Pay if horrible too.
Perhaps I'll miss the money, but that's about it.
Residential ASL driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, northMay 22, 2016
A typical day for a residential driver starts at 6 am, on the road by 6:45, at the route at 7 or 7:15.

What I leaned:
Your customers may live in modest houses, or mansions, and many will fail to follow the simple instructions of putting out the container.

The Republic online FAQ says:

"Yes, typically all trash must be bagged and placed inside your approved garbage receptacle or provided wheeled cart." Good luck with that, and expect to be sent back to pick up anything that falls out of the cart.

The Republic FAQ says nothing about placement of the cart, and the container has no instructions either.

Since the container is manipulated by a robotic arm viewed in the rearview mirror, I consider failing to specify and enforce rules of placement an omission placing a uneeded burden upon the driver.

The city of Indianapolis containers have instructions, one being "five feet from any other objects" If the container is too close, Indy DPW will ignore it, but Republic will radio the driver and tell them to go back and pick it up. Your entire route (700 to 1200 containers) will most likely fail the "five foot" rule.

The shop is notorious for "problem not found" comments when a truck problem is written up. I was told by two employees that "the shop manager doesn't like you" six months after speaking to him once.

Management:
Management is in turmoil, 2016 has seen an operations manager replaced, supervisors shuffled around, the general manager replaced, and the shop manager take a sudden retirement..

My co-workers were truly special, to put up with
  more... all the confusion . No complaints about my co-workers.They are saints in training.

Hardest part of the job is due to Republic failing to enforce container placement compliance (residential, ASL). Either that or trying to find a restroom when you need one; take your pick.

The is little or no enjoyment incidental to this job; you are exposed to a succession of customers failing to follow simple instructions.
Pros
The paycheck, that's it.
Cons
A succession of customers failing to follow simple instructions.
Very fast paced, has to be a self-motivator, must have a sense of direction and flexiable.
Floater (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMay 18, 2016
Work starts at 6am. A typical day at work can start off with a garbage route that consists of 770 to 910 customers to service. There is always a possibility of a route being split between 5 drivers due to staff shortage. It usually takes between 7 to 10 hours to complete a route.

I have learned how to be a better defensive driver, able to manage my time to complete a task, able to relate to any situation or person and able to train new drivers.

I have a great relationship with management. Having 16 years of experience at Republic services, I have experience in almost all functions of the company. They never have to worry about me reporting to work or reporting to work on time, and they never have to worry about my work performance.

This is no lie, I have a make a point to know all the drivers' name. I also always offer any advice or help if needed. I get along with all my co-workers.

The hardest part of my job is driving. Washington has a lot of hills and maneuvering a 32,000 lb garbage truck is stuff. You have watch out for pedestrians and other drivers.

The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing I made a difference for our environment and my body of work. I enjoy getting a good salary too!
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
More room for growth in management postions and training
Nice coworkers
Diesel Technician (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXMay 13, 2016
Enjoyed working my coworkers but management has no sense of reality when it comes to family time or working conditions. It was ok until they changed the rules to work on flag rate instead of just hourly.
A decent environment to hone my skills and train others
Lead Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOMay 10, 2016
Work 9-10 hours a day. Tasks included shop work, as well as road calls, and some compactor repair. Most enjoyable part of the job was keeping the drivers happy with my repairs.

2.8