Republic Services Employee Reviews

Not worth your time
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNSeptember 21, 2016
By that I am saying you have no life during the week, simply because you never no what time you are going to be done. Supervisors and some mangers don't even have there cdl's to know what it is to drive a route in there trucks. And are the first to second guess your ability to drive the truck when they never have. It was a sick feeling going to work there every morning.
Pros
Cons
A thankless job
Good company to work for
Heavy Truck Mechanic C and P M Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92111September 19, 2016
Good company to work for except,unfair management,if for any reason they don't like you they'll build a file on you till they get rid of you,even if you go above and beyond the scope of you job description.
Pros
Big Company
Cons
Bad Managers
One of the worst run places I've ever encountered
Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORSeptember 17, 2016
Republic Services Corvallis Oregon is by far one of the worst run business divisions I've ever encountered. Managers have absolutely no close of what they are doing which has caused a all most 100% turn over in maintenance personnel and an 85 or more percent turn over in drivers. This leaves a void in experience that cannot be replaced in a day. Maintenance is run by a fleet manager that has run off top experienced technicians in every business unit under his direction. Corvallis, Salem, Grants Pass, Albany, and Coffin Butte Landfill have all been somewhat crippled by his leadership and the higher leadership doesn't seem to understand or don't care. Of course where else would you put a person who was kicked out of Salem Republic Services for his loving personality that was so horrifying that he all most caused the drivers to walk out. Operations in Corvallis needs to be totally revamped. Most of the drivers with experience and time there have left and new drivers coming in are all ready looking for jobs. Will someone from the higher management level please wake up listen and fix the problems at that business division. The advice from former a present employees is to purge management completely and do some firing of the incompetent managers and hire people who actually know what they are doing and care about there subordinates.
Pros
Great Co-Workers
Cons
Management and lack there of
Good company sometimes
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gardena, CASeptember 16, 2016
Very good company to work for, good pay with ok benefits. Very demanding company and expects a lot out of their employees. As a supervisor I was expected to work long hours and sometimes 6 days a week.
Pros
good pay
Cons
change in management changed cultureG
Compensation does not out weigh poor quality of work and life
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTSeptember 15, 2016
During my time at Republic I worked any where from 50 to 70 hours and was only compensated in my salary for 40. Horrible management and deplorable integrity. They do not treat people well
no time
Truck Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 8, 2016
It's ok place to work if you do not have a family you have no time for any thing you can get burned out quick hard to move up in the company hardest part of the job is that you are working with trash
Pros
ok pay
Cons
to many hours
Great work environment with great management!
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 6, 2016
Republic Services has on going training and development for their employees. As a company I think they clearly understand how important it is for their employees to continue to learn and grow within the company and giving these employees the opportunity to advance into other positions is a great thing! In addition, we truly do have some great leaders!
Pros
Great leadership, Growth opportunities, Benefits and Pay
archaic
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 1, 2016
Antiquated behemoth whose policies are crafted to the lowest common denominator - the hourly truck driver position, which has lots of turnover. Behind the times.
Pros
good discounts on consumer products
Cons
old school bureaucracy
good work crew, pay is ok
Driver (Former Employee) –  Wayne , MI.August 15, 2016
Worked here 10 years. 5 on residential and 5 on commercial. Easy automatic trucks, great benefits and newer equipment. Union shop 8 - 10 hour days on residential and 11-13 hours commercial. Other big companies pay a little better, but this yard you'll have a better life style. You can get done really fast and go home early. Lunch breaks, good benefits, and OK pay. Management is OK. A few hot heads but what job dosnt. Over all is easy as long as you get the python trucks in residential or your in commercial.
Pros
stable and reliable weekly pay
Cons
it could pay a little better
Loved working with the people there
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAAugust 6, 2016
The people I worked with had amazing personalities! Awesome to work with. Management is clueless....
They give you a million and 1 things to do during the day and when you don't get it done it goes against you. There probationary period is a joke. Any little thing they can make up to get rid of you they will. They wouldn't even let me learn the job I was hired to do
Pros
The people you work with
Cons
Management, hiring system, probation system
Good co at first but get ready for the real change
Fleet Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  TXAugust 3, 2016
Best part of rws is the people on the ground floor techs and drivers. If youre mid management get ready for drama. GMs are out for #1 and their ops manager. If youre in maintenance, you lose. Pretty shady way they manage the co, the whole regional level was let go or demoted, they dont care if a 20 yr vet w the co leaves if that gives you any info on how they operate.
RG the GM and DH the side kick both dont care about anything but themselves.
Pros
Pay and co workers
Cons
Everything else
worst place to work ever
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALAugust 2, 2016
I was a dispatcher for Republic & what a joke. Worst place ever to work, if the drivers or other employees want you gone....you will be fired. Management does NOT care if you do your job, everyone is just looking for someone new to pass their work off on. Be ready to get blamed for anything & everything, then get fired because you won't kiss butt or disregard the rules. Save yourself the time & trouble, find another place to work. Having a job with this company is a guaranteed way to create one of the worst memories of your working life.
Pros
not working here anymore
Cons
everything & then some
Good payrate
Truck Driver (roll off) (Current Employee) –  Sulphur, LAAugust 1, 2016
Great place to make money I get paid around 1,100 a week, I start my shift at 4:45 and I go home by 4:00 / 4:30 pm

Management is full of sh...t they talk too much about safety but they don't work with problems the way they suppose to... Lead driver don't do sh..t and don't drive front end cuz he don't want too, swing driver don't drive roll off , is like a circus..
Pros
Payrate hours
Cons
Management, friendly with some driver unfair to others
Great family
Diesel Technician (Former Employee) –  Mayfield, KYJuly 10, 2016
i loved working there if you can get use to the smell. co-workers were great the job was awesome and the benefits and pay were great but i would have to say as a multi million dollar business they don't give you much time to adjust, the owners where ever they are said my work was professional in every way and done it well but my productive level was low so Im sorry but we are going to have to let you go.
Pros
takes care of their family
Cons
management
Horrible Company To Work For
Scale Attendant (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJuly 8, 2016
Horrible place to work!! The management has no clue how to treat employees. If your good to your people they'll be good to you, it's common sense which management lacks. Wages are terrible. 9 years with the company and they hired someone at a hire wage than me doing the exact same job as me. Disrespectful, horrible management!! Schedule changes are constant, you would never know if you were able to make plans or if it would change at the last minute with NO notification. Favoritism, what was good for one person wasn't so good for another. The 5 R's are a joke...practice what you preach!! Horrible work environment with no compassion from management. There were more work claims at our division than anywhere due to the fact that the scale house was not "work friendly". Hard mats to walk on, sliding glass doors that you open and close all day long because YOU have to go outside to the customer which should be a big no no since your walking away from a cash drawer. There are too many negatives with this huge corporation to list, long story short..I would rather clean toilets at a prison than ever work for this company again!!!
Pros
Great Co-Workers
Cons
Horrible management
Horrible Corporation
Scale Operator/Gate Attendant (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJuly 7, 2016
Low morale due to horrific management, daily bullying by management, expected to be on-call but will not pay to be on-call, always negative, work 12-14 hour shifts without breaks, sometimes no lunches, different rules for different people, I got the highest raise out of all the scale operators for being there 1 year, and got .20cents per hour extra, no set schedule.
Cons
sometimes no lunches or breaks, management bully employees.
Age should not be a road block!
Driver (Current Employee) –  Kilgore, TXJuly 5, 2016
I would just like to say this company will not hire people over fifty I do not know why they claim to be not bias but they are!!!!!!i have tried very hard to get my friends and family hired but since they are over the age of fifty they are not Hired!!!!!!! I thought that Republic had got in trouble about this years ago and they had changed????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Pros
Country air
Cons
That dreaded camera in the truck!!!!
Worst job I've ever had
Driver (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 2, 2016
Management is terrible. Rookie supervisors that have never driven a truck that work with lead drivers to get answers because they are incompetent. Management are trained to lie in order to protect the company.Everything is about the numbers. They write your numbers and weekly percentages on a board for everyone to see and judge you by.They have what they call "lead drivers" that call themselves your boss but are not really your boss because they are not allowed to make a decision on their own. Buddy system and good ole boy favoritism in full effect. Moral is amazingly low. Everybody is usually scared that they are going to get fired or suspended. Equipment is junk. Only larger or training facilities get the good equipment. They expect you to work with broken or dysfunctional equipment. Mechanics are really bad. Can't even change a tire. Everything is a patch job or fabricated part. The safety points award system is a joke and a fraud because the credit you supposedly earn is taken out of your check. Republic Services generates an annual revenue income of 9.12 Billion dollars a year and starts its drivers out at 13.00 - 15.00 an hour.
Pros
paid holiday
Fun Workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 29, 2016
This company is a good company to work for. Co-workers treat you like family not co-workers. I loved working here and I would go back anytime
Good pay but god awful work equipment.
Driver (Current Employee) –  ClevelandJune 29, 2016
The pay is pretty good, Better than most places you will find.
The equipment is very very outdated and does not work more than half the time. Always breaking down or trucks catching on fire. Most of the trucks they send us out in are unsafe and look very bad. It really boggles my mind everyday just looking at what they send me out in to represent the company. One day one of these trucks are going to kill an innocent person. The mechanics are lazy and do not fix a thing. The rear end on 80% of the trucks are bad and ready to fall off at any giving minute. It's not equal opportunity employment. They do what they want and do have favorites. I stay because the pay is good. If I could find another job that pays almost as much as they do I would be gone and never look back. I never get to spend time with my family I am always there working 12-14 hours a day and my work week is broken up.
Pros
Pay day
Cons
Unsafe trucks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Republic Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8