Republic Services Employee Reviews

Very fast paced, has to be a self-motivator, must have a sense of direction and flexiable.
Floater (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMay 18, 2016
Work starts at 6am. A typical day at work can start off with a garbage route that consists of 770 to 910 customers to service. There is always a possibility of a route being split between 5 drivers due to staff shortage. It usually takes between 7 to 10 hours to complete a route.

I have learned how to be a better defensive driver, able to manage my time to complete a task, able to relate to any situation or person and able to train new drivers.

I have a great relationship with management. Having 16 years of experience at Republic services, I have experience in almost all functions of the company. They never have to worry about me reporting to work or reporting to work on time, and they never have to worry about my work performance.

This is no lie, I have a make a point to know all the drivers' name. I also always offer any advice or help if needed. I get along with all my co-workers.

The hardest part of my job is driving. Washington has a lot of hills and maneuvering a 32,000 lb garbage truck is stuff. You have watch out for pedestrians and other drivers.

The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing I made a difference for our environment and my body of work. I enjoy getting a good salary too!
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
More room for growth in management postions and training
Great PLace to work
Truck Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 23, 2016
This is a great place to work however the pay is low if they raise the pay a little more people would not leave they really show you that they want you there
Pros
Great place to workthey value you there
Cons
They dont pay any money
Loved working with the people there
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAAugust 6, 2016
The people I worked with had amazing personalities! Awesome to work with. Management is clueless....
They give you a million and 1 things to do during the day and when you don't get it done it goes against you. There probationary period is a joke. Any little thing they can make up to get rid of you they will. They wouldn't even let me learn the job I was hired to do
Pros
The people you work with
Cons
Management, hiring system, probation system
Every day tasks
Line Lead (Former Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MNJune 7, 2016
Work every day was simple, I would turn the machine on and check if there is any possible jam on the conveyor belt, then dump associates' bucket full of p.e.t trash. If there was a jam in the machine I would try it in maintenance mode, if that wasn't possible I shut the system down and get in the machine to unjam the machine with crowbar or whatever is necessary to remove the item that was causing the jam. Breaks are cut short since the company doesn't tolerate lateness so we would lose 2 minutes of break every day. Lunch is 30 minutes,but management always tell you what you need to do after lunch, but it's pretty much same thing every day yet they don't believe that I know what to do even though I have worked there for a while and have experience. If you were to do something that is wrong or your supervisor doesn't agree to they will tell you to do it a certain way and chew you out which is unprofessional. The supervisor on the shift would yell at the sorters if they're not picking fast enough. Every day was a constant war with management not being able to realize that you do what you can and not what you can't. Overall if you plan to just find a job to for experience this is a start, but I would not recommend this company because they don't treat their employees like they claim they do, if you don't like the smell of trash don't bother, if you are slow you are tend to get fire and if you disagree or do something that the management disagrees you'll get fired like me because the company "claim" I was just standing around doing nothing yet the dirt and dust on my vest totally  more... disagree with that claim, but if you ask my honest opinion don't bother working here, the amount of unnecessarily drama is not worth the stress and pay look somewhere else  less
Pros
hours
Cons
management, little pay, no life, almost no benefits
Horrible Company To Work For
Scale Attendant (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJuly 8, 2016
Horrible place to work!! The management has no clue how to treat employees. If your good to your people they'll be good to you, it's common sense which management lacks. Wages are terrible. 9 years with the company and they hired someone at a hire wage than me doing the exact same job as me. Disrespectful, horrible management!! Schedule changes are constant, you would never know if you were able to make plans or if it would change at the last minute with NO notification. Favoritism, what was good for one person wasn't so good for another. The 5 R's are a joke...practice what you preach!! Horrible work environment with no compassion from management. There were more work claims at our division than anywhere due to the fact that the scale house was not "work friendly". Hard mats to walk on, sliding glass doors that you open and close all day long because YOU have to go outside to the customer which should be a big no no since your walking away from a cash drawer. There are too many negatives with this huge corporation to list, long story short..I would rather clean toilets at a prison than ever work for this company again!!!
Pros
Great Co-Workers
Cons
Horrible management
comp. benefits
ops superviser (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 11, 2016
pay is good benefits are well long hours never home never no if u have a job day to day.................no job security needs to be more about safety
Good payrate
Truck Driver (roll off) (Current Employee) –  Sulphur, LAAugust 1, 2016
Great place to make money I get paid around 1,100 a week, I start my shift at 4:45 and I go home by 4:00 / 4:30 pm

Management is full of sh...t they talk too much about safety but they don't work with problems the way they suppose to... Lead driver don't do sh..t and don't drive front end cuz he don't want too, swing driver don't drive roll off , is like a circus..
Pros
Payrate hours
Cons
Management, friendly with some driver unfair to others
Front Load Driver (Former Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVNovember 30, 2016
Enjoyed the working process of the company. The fulfillment of the work days and hours accommodated were not strenuous and easy to benefit from. Overall great company.
Pros
benefits, Pay
Cons
workinhg in rain
not so good
Driver (Current Employee) –  FloridaApril 26, 2016
Day starts a 3am not an exact time for being off the clock. DOT says 70 hrs per week Republic says 60 hrs per week. Old equipment, money has been cut, routes are messed up. Roll-off runs all over town and over each other to get work. The containers are old full of holes. Too many drivers not enough work. Management has new drivers training with drivers that have had accidents instead of the driver trainer they just sent to school that has no accidents.
Not a good place to work anymore. The garbage business is being run by people with education and no on the job experience behind the wheel or behind the truck which is essential for running this business.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Only 5 Holidays per year off
Good company to work for
Heavy Truck Mechanic C and P M Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92111September 19, 2016
Good company to work for except,unfair management,if for any reason they don't like you they'll build a file on you till they get rid of you,even if you go above and beyond the scope of you job description.
Pros
Big Company
Cons
Bad Managers
Great Environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHNovember 29, 2016
Great company to work for. All departments have great communication with one another. Very friendly coworkers. This is a company that has advancement opportunities.
Saving you from being stressed out dont work here
save your time look some where else (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TexasMarch 1, 2016
If you want to be threaten to get fired constantly cause management won't take responsibility then this job is for you. You will never see the management on the work yard but they are willing to fire you just to blame someone else. It's not worth it I'm letting you know now
Pros
company has none
Cons
Management is terrible, the people that are there will turn on you i promise you that
One of the worst run places I've ever encountered
Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORSeptember 17, 2016
Republic Services Corvallis Oregon is by far one of the worst run business divisions I've ever encountered. Managers have absolutely no close of what they are doing which has caused a all most 100% turn over in maintenance personnel and an 85 or more percent turn over in drivers. This leaves a void in experience that cannot be replaced in a day. Maintenance is run by a fleet manager that has run off top experienced technicians in every business unit under his direction. Corvallis, Salem, Grants Pass, Albany, and Coffin Butte Landfill have all been somewhat crippled by his leadership and the higher leadership doesn't seem to understand or don't care. Of course where else would you put a person who was kicked out of Salem Republic Services for his loving personality that was so horrifying that he all most caused the drivers to walk out. Operations in Corvallis needs to be totally revamped. Most of the drivers with experience and time there have left and new drivers coming in are all ready looking for jobs. Will someone from the higher management level please wake up listen and fix the problems at that business division. The advice from former a present employees is to purge management completely and do some firing of the incompetent managers and hire people who actually know what they are doing and care about there subordinates.
Pros
Great Co-Workers
Cons
Management and lack there of
Not a bad job.
Residential Route driver (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MI 49001November 17, 2016
Long hours at times. Equipment is not the greatest depending on the vehicle your in. Supervisors seem to care at times other times not.Overall not a bad place to work but not the best
Bonus Driven Micromanagement Team
Scale Operator (Former Employee) –  anonymousApril 22, 2016
"Do as I say, not as I do" mentality. If you are a back stabber and have the personality of a drone, you will advance to the next level, but only after at least 3 years with the company. If you have to travel between locations, mileage is paid, but you are not told how to fill out the correct form to receive payment!! Seniority means NOTHING when it comes to a schedule. The new hires are told they will work an occasional weekend, in the beginning it is true. It doesn't last long.....Everyone works weekends, even those with seniority!! 12 hours shifts are grueling, no real time to sit and NO breaks. Dusty, hot or cold working conditions. Antiquated software for processing tickets with NO backup system in place when the computers go offline. All divisions lack communication and the underlings are informed after the fact. Keep in mind ONLY management will receive an annual Bonus, salaried employees will NOT receive a bonus and do ALL the heavy lifting for company.
Pros
Weekly paycheck
Cons
NO breaks, Random Schedule, Expected to answer your phone on your day off to cover a shift, otherwise reprimanded
Good pay but god awful work equipment.
Driver (Current Employee) –  ClevelandJune 29, 2016
The pay is pretty good, Better than most places you will find.
The equipment is very very outdated and does not work more than half the time. Always breaking down or trucks catching on fire. Most of the trucks they send us out in are unsafe and look very bad. It really boggles my mind everyday just looking at what they send me out in to represent the company. One day one of these trucks are going to kill an innocent person. The mechanics are lazy and do not fix a thing. The rear end on 80% of the trucks are bad and ready to fall off at any giving minute. It's not equal opportunity employment. They do what they want and do have favorites. I stay because the pay is good. If I could find another job that pays almost as much as they do I would be gone and never look back. I never get to spend time with my family I am always there working 12-14 hours a day and my work week is broken up.
Pros
Pay day
Cons
Unsafe trucks
Challenging and fast pace work environment
Positions - Fleet Admin/ Operations / Acct Payable (Current Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOJanuary 19, 2016
My Responsibilities;

Budget Management
Month End/Year End Reporting
Licensing
Permits/State Inspector Permits
Pros
Learning Experience, Fast Pace, Challenging, Great People and Benefits
Cons
Far from home, lack of opportunities for growth
Highly Micromanaged
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Osage Beach, MOSeptember 14, 2015
The pay was great, but this company is so highly micromanaged that they do not give you a chance to breathe. You can do a million things right and nothing is ever said to you, but the minute you make 1 mistake, everyone and their brother is scrutinizing you. It got to be so stressful that I had to leave. My manager did not know what constructive criticism meant, and was very rude right off the bat. They preached following their strict procedures but made it impossible to follow all of the procedures to a T and staying within your call time. And forget about vacationing - only one person was allowed to be off at a time. Also, no room for advancement unless you wanted to move elsewhere (I was told this in my initial interview!) And I could not make a complaint about my manager because all of the managers were so close-knit, that word would get back to my manager and she would make my life miserable.
Pros
good pay and benefits, free lunches on Friday, good crew to work with
Cons
overly micromanaged, stuff and overly-critical management team, no room for advancement
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  LouisianaFebruary 4, 2016
Entire life dedicated to this job. If you are a family person and have a life this job is not for you. First month is ok that's because you are training. After the training you go to work in the morning and don't know what time you are getting off at night. Management team SUCKS.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Long hours, no holidays off
amazing coworkers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 5, 2016
I love love loved my co-workers- we had such an amazing team. Pay and benefits were great also, if my scheduled would have been able to be adjusted I would have stayed,

2.8