Republic Services Employee Reviews

One of the worst run places I've ever encountered
Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORSeptember 17, 2016
Republic Services Corvallis Oregon is by far one of the worst run business divisions I've ever encountered. Managers have absolutely no close of what they are doing which has caused a all most 100% turn over in maintenance personnel and an 85 or more percent turn over in drivers. This leaves a void in experience that cannot be replaced in a day. Maintenance is run by a fleet manager that has run off top experienced technicians in every business unit under his direction. Corvallis, Salem, Grants Pass, Albany, and Coffin Butte Landfill have all been somewhat crippled by his leadership and the higher leadership doesn't seem to understand or don't care. Of course where else would you put a person who was kicked out of Salem Republic Services for his loving personality that was so horrifying that he all most caused the drivers to walk out. Operations in Corvallis needs to be totally revamped. Most of the drivers with experience and time there have left and new drivers coming in are all ready looking for jobs. Will someone from the higher management level please wake up listen and fix the problems at that business division. The advice from former a present employees is to purge management completely and do some firing of the incompetent managers and hire people who actually know what they are doing and care about there subordinates.
Pros
Great Co-Workers
Cons
Management and lack there of
archaic
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 1, 2016
Antiquated behemoth whose policies are crafted to the lowest common denominator - the hourly truck driver position, which has lots of turnover. Behind the times.
Pros
good discounts on consumer products
Cons
old school bureaucracy
Very fast paced, has to be a self-motivator, must have a sense of direction and flexiable.
Floater (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMay 18, 2016
Work starts at 6am. A typical day at work can start off with a garbage route that consists of 770 to 910 customers to service. There is always a possibility of a route being split between 5 drivers due to staff shortage. It usually takes between 7 to 10 hours to complete a route.

I have learned how to be a better defensive driver, able to manage my time to complete a task, able to relate to any situation or person and able to train new drivers.

I have a great relationship with management. Having 16 years of experience at Republic services, I have experience in almost all functions of the company. They never have to worry about me reporting to work or reporting to work on time, and they never have to worry about my work performance.

This is no lie, I have a make a point to know all the drivers' name. I also always offer any advice or help if needed. I get along with all my co-workers.

The hardest part of my job is driving. Washington has a lot of hills and maneuvering a 32,000 lb garbage truck is stuff. You have watch out for pedestrians and other drivers.

The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing I made a difference for our environment and my body of work. I enjoy getting a good salary too!
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
More room for growth in management postions and training
no time
Truck Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 8, 2016
It's ok place to work if you do not have a family you have no time for any thing you can get burned out quick hard to move up in the company hardest part of the job is that you are working with trash
Pros
ok pay
Cons
to many hours
Great job
Commercial Driver (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 13, 2016
A job i truly miss. The management was truly family oriented and cared for employees. The pay was more than any company I've ever worked for. The hardest part of the job was cleaning behind the blade at the end of the day but even in that you had enjoyment in a days work knowing your were getting properly compensated.
Pros
Pay, hours of work, management etc etc
Cons
Not many…. Only one i can think of is that I'm not there
Watch your back always.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Jenison, MINovember 15, 2015
Decent people but everyone has their favorites. There are things that you'll be told not to do, that violate company policy but at the same time your management will impress upon you the meaning of getting it done and will make exceptions. Just dont get into any incidents because once again these people save themselves 1st. Everyone talks outta both sides of their mouth here. This is not a place for someone with a family. One day your employed next your getting your letter of termination
Pros
Pay is nice
Cons
The place you work is a shark tank. BEWARE
Out of Control
Welder/Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJuly 10, 2015
Hard to balance between work and home. Long work hours with MANDATORY overtime - working 12 hours or more OVERNIGHT - sometimes 6 days a week (4PM - 4AM). Supervisors would spend too much time nagging at one person instead of focusing on the group as a whole. They have great benefits and compensation is good because of the overtime but when the balance between your home life and work gets a little rough they don't care. The co-workers are great, its the upper management that has the issue.
Pros
Compensation, great benefits
Cons
Nasty work spaces, short breaks, management doesn't help
productive enviroment
Sorter/jam man (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 27, 2016
I would like to say republic service is a good place to work and will teach u alot of things bout life like a learning experience with the real world.
Pros
treat u very well
Cons
short breaks
if your a butt kisser,,great place to work
truck driver (Current Employee) –  Albertville, ALJanuary 16, 2016
long days, no money,bad place to work.unless you will kiss up to the boss.routes to big,starting workers make more than someone that has been there for years..no job security.
Pros
Cons
no breaks, if you want to get your route done, before dark.
Steady work from clock in to clock out
Residential Driver (Current Employee) –  Conroe, TXJune 21, 2015
A typical day starts with a brief meeting and pre-trip of your truck. The days can be light and heavy at times, even though you already know your area it's hard to predict what it will look like until you get into the area. Some days seem very long and you might not get any help with it. The management seem to put lead drivers into a position which they have no knowledge of what leadership means. Now as far as the flaws I can say it is a fairly easy job to have. If the days were shorten, the lead drivers were more helpful and you were given better pay I would recommend it to everyone.
Pros
easy to operate equipment and benefits
Cons
pay and leadership

Want to know more about Republic Services?

Ask a question
Great PLace to work
Truck Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 23, 2016
This is a great place to work however the pay is low if they raise the pay a little more people would not leave they really show you that they want you there
Pros
Great place to workthey value you there
Cons
They dont pay any money
Treated employees fairly.
Commercial Driver (Former Employee) –  Hutchins, TXAugust 29, 2015
The management was always in flux and it seemed they never knew if they were coming or going themselves. A lot of their long time drivers were unhappy with the current state of affairs with the management and how they were operating.
Pros
They had a great benefits package with a lot of perks for drivers.
Cons
Drivers could never do enough and the confusion in management made things difficult for everyone.
was bought out
District maintenance manger (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSFebruary 10, 2016
can no longer review, company was purchased by waste management. it was poorly ran, under funded and out dated equipment
Pros
cant remember any
Cons
to afraid of unions, HR was running scared
Texas Area Office is Terrible
Would not like to say (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 14, 2016
Do not work in the Texas area office, you will get fired. Especially if you are female. Particularly stay away from the Finance Group.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
No healthcare for 3 months, bad management, bad culture
Great Place To Work
Residential Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 14, 2016
Great Salary. Exceptional Benefits. Well worked Staff and Co-Worker. Most Trusted Company . I enjoyed going to work to service the community everday. Best customers.
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
Healthcare
Compensation is lacking
Customer Service Representative/trainer (Former Employee) –  midwestDecember 14, 2015
Typical call center. Answer phones, answer emails, start and stop service. The coworkers are either great or terrible, and supervisors are lazy. No consistency between employees because there is no quality assurance team.
Pros
Daytime hours, pay is better than most call centers, easy job
Cons
Management can't make needed changes
Great co-workers
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 2, 2015
The co-workers were the best part about working for this company. We have a fantastic team where you are surrounded by love. There is some gossip from upper management in different departments. customer services is extremely strict and is a tough environment to work in. As long as you have dedication to work and passion for what you do, you will be set.
Fun Workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 29, 2016
This company is a good company to work for. Co-workers treat you like family not co-workers. I loved working here and I would go back anytime
Good Company but pay could be better
Roll Off Driver (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 28, 2016
Typical day is in and out of landfill 6-10 times. Laid back atmosphere. Pay could be better but benefits are good. Safety is very important at all times!
Horrible place to work
Roll Off Driver (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCMay 24, 2016
Horrible place to work, the pay is horrible and the management has no idea what they are doing. They give you very old trucks to drive and they are very unsafe. do work work for this company. Pay if horrible too.

2.8