Republic Steel Employee Reviews

production
Transportation (Current Employee), Lorain, OHAugust 13, 2015
Pros: free health care
Cons: short breaks
Safety is always first at the work place. it doesn't mater how fast you are but how safely you can get the job done. the steel mill is an hands on place where you can learn and get the experience you need.
The Global Economy, Politics and Climate change
Maintenance Technician Electrical (Former Employee), Lorain OhioAugust 13, 2015
The global economy, politics and climate change have provided me with another mass layoff number. When i asked one of the big bosses if we will ever make steel here again, he said that all depends on "market conditions".
kind of dirty cold in the winter
Crane Operator (Former Employee), Lorain, OHAugust 11, 2015
Pros: clean lunch rooms and free water for employees
Cons: make your own breaks on the run
interesting work enjoyable workforce with a lot of opportunity to advance management was hard to get along with supplys were provided as needed
I LEARNED WHATHAPPENS WHEN WE ADDED CHEMICALS TO THE WATER
PUMP HOUSE OPERATOR (Former Employee), UTILITESAugust 6, 2015
MOST OF THE DEPARTMENTS IN THE MILL THAT I WORKED IN DO NOT LONGER EXISTS , I WORKED IN THE BLAST FURNACE DEPT. WHERE WE MADE THE IRON FOR THE STEEL
bad upper management
Process engineer (Current Employee), Lorain, OHJuly 23, 2015
Does not know how to make steel. The company lies so much but never deliver what they promised. Co-workers are good. Everything else is bad
Exciting place to work.
Millwright and Mechanical Technician (Current Employee), Lorain, OHMay 7, 2015
Pros: The people I work with.
Cons: The lack of!!!
A typical day at work is an adventure. Trying to do your job maintaining 50 year old equipment with limited parts ,tools an manpower.
Upper management is none existent middle management an lower management – more... have there hands tied from lack of upper management involvement.
My co-workers are the best bunch of people I have worked with everyone has a good skill range.
The hardest part of the job is watching the stupidity an uncaring of some people.
An the best part of the job is the Money. – less
Very productive company to work for.
Material Handler (Current Employee), Lorain, OHApril 23, 2015
Great group of employees that work here and we all strive to do the best at our job and do it with the best of our ability and that is where we make quality steel!
not productive place, with no opportunity for advancement nor job security.
Electric Arc Furnace 1st Helper (Current Employee), Canton, OHApril 15, 2015
Pros: Compensation, Benefits
Cons: Unsafe Work Conditions, Mass Layoffs
A typical day, consist of management not communicating to the work force, on what we are planning to accomplish for the day. How many heats we are trying to put out, and the type of heats we are planning on running. Very dangerous situations being formed by poor decision making, which has created some unsafe conditions.
Relaxing Work Environment
Corporate Help Desk Technician (Current Employee), Canton, OHApril 12, 2015
Pros: Friendly staff, comfortable work space, knowledgeable coworkers
Cons: N/A
A typical day at Republic Steel has it's ebbs and flows from busy to quiet, typically in the morning and early afternoon. It's easy work and allows for a lot of conversation between co-workers for both – more... personal discussions and business topics.

Our managers are very supportive, and easy-going. They're not over your shoulder to know what you're doing as long as you're productive and participating in daily work. Our current director has a change in the works for our department, but nothing production-impacting.

The hardest part of the job is getting non-computer familiar users to explain what they're problem is as clearly as possible. Sometimes, there are "code words" you can pick up on and make correct decisions to fix an issue swiftly. – less
Good company
Mobile Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Lorain, OHApril 3, 2015
Pros: Insurance
Cons: Getting things repaired took a long time.
Running mobile crane for 12 hours unload and load railroad cars. Safety is the most important thing . Co-workers seem frustrated at times with the long hours we had to work. Hardest part of job was if there is a breakdown on your machine it seemed like it took so long to get it fixed. Best part of job was operating the crane.
Not a very Productive Enviroment
Refining Supervisor (Current Employee), Lorain, OHFebruary 20, 2015
An enviroment with lots of wasted Talent that has an extreme amount of potential. Not much Positive to say about this location.
great money and benefits
Production Operator Refining (Current Employee), Canton, OHFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: laidoff alot
Bad environment,great pay,management gets treated bad.Saftey not a big concern.Layoffs happen a lot.Not a good company to work for.
I worked a lot of over time
Production laborer (Former Employee), Canton, OHDecember 30, 2014
I love my jobs and all the over time . I had 27years there of hard work
great people and love my job
Senior Caster Operator (Current Employee), Canton, OHDecember 18, 2014
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: layoffs
Casting steel, trouble shooting daily operation problems. A lot to learn when i started but worked my way up to senior operator. Had a lot of fun with a great team environment. Putting in long hours that were unpredictable due to mechanical issues.
Great Pay & Benefits but very high demanding job
Guide Assembler,Stand Builder,& Millwright. (Former Employee), Blasdell, NYNovember 28, 2014
Pros: great pay, great benefits
Cons: long hours, harsh envronment
I worked swing shift,7 days on,1 day off,7 days on,2 days off,7 days on,4 days off,then back to the beginning schedule.A lot of times I would work on average 80 to 90 hours a week.I figured if I was tired – more... anyway,I might as well make money.Swing shift,specially working this type of job,takes a lot out of you.I did it for 6 years and never could adjust.It was really hard.The pay & benefits were great though.I did many jobs there.I built guides that helped guide the steel bar through the pinch rolls in a stand.I also worked as a stand builder.I would operated a overhead crane,putting on spider bearings on the pinch rolls,then drop them in the stand,then install the guides,then drop the stand in the mill.We rolled steel at over 2000 degrees.We made different lengths,diameters and 2 different shapes(round and hex bars).We also rolled coiled steel.It was a fun job but very dangerous.It was very cold in the winter and extremely hot in the summer.I learned to used different tools and heavy equipment and I learned how much I could endure.Most of the co-workers were great guys to work with. – less
Old equipment.
Maintenance Technician Electrical (Current Employee), Gary, INNovember 19, 2014
It was a good experience when I first started, but now I want to grow professionally. the equipment is too old and there is not automation at all.Terrible management, some good co-workers , some bad like everywhere else,
Very productive and great pay
Casting Associate (Current Employee), Canton, OHOctober 13, 2014
This was a great company and I would gladly work with them again
I loved the job
Millwright (Former Employee), Lorain, OHOctober 6, 2014
Pros: unlimited overtime
Cons: a very weak authority presence, no housekeeping
Republic Steel was the job of my dreams, great crew, everyday was a new and an exciting challenge. I was recently a lay off by surprise, along with a hand full of others. The furnace was running more efficiently and the caster was making the final product.
excellent people to work with . safe , fun and hard working
MTM (Current Employee), Lorain, OHSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: medical benefits, good wages, incentive.
Republic Steel is a very antiquated mill with daily repairs required to keep it running. I worked in the Bar Mills and Rolling Mill departments. Most Jobs required skill and safety skills . I was surround by good experienced hands as well as knowledgeable bosses . It is a good Place to work.
Not a place you would willingly choose to work
Salary Worker (Current Employee), Lorain, OHSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: good healthcare benefits
Cons: substandard safety practices (in news for blatent osha violations), substandard or nonexistent c-level management, no project management, reputation for not paying bills to vendors, no work-sponsored events or perks, constant layoffs or downsizing without role replacement, outdated offices, substandard equipment, lack of procedure and policy, poor vacation policy
Poor Management from the top down is the essence of this company. Lack of any project management or vetting processes virtually assure all projects will fail to deliver on time, will fail to work as desired, – more... and will go over budget. No plans are created for company longevity (equipment upgrades, procedural enhancements). Staff cuts are the primary way to save money. Job responsibilities are distributed to remaining employees. High stress caused by this volatile environment has caused a large exodus of veteran employees and knowledge. Safety violations are rampant. Many vendors will no longer work with the company due to failure to pay or late payments. – less