Republic Steel Employee Reviews in United States

Hard work, good pay and benefits
Senior Operator Technician / Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OH 44053July 15, 2016
Although the work most times was dangerous, hard, hot, dirty and loud the pay and benefits offered, off set the conditions we worked in. In the 43 years of working there I made many friends and had many laughs. If it wasn't for that I would have lost my mind or quit.
Pros
Pay and Benfits
Cons
Working turns, loud, hot dangerous and dirty.
A Good Place To Work
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHJune 5, 2016
Was A Good Place To Work Wile It Lasted.Many Different Jobs Worked With Different People .Different Equipment 3 Shifts
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Worked Regurlary
Paid exceptionally well and co workers were very helpful
Operator (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHMay 5, 2016
I enjoyed my time at Republic. I really liked the scope of work and the opportunity to learn and run different machinery.Everyday was a little different so it was nice to have something new to look forward too. Management was fair and honest. Hardest part of the job was not knowing how secure the job was based on the turmoil of the market.
Pros
job was very enjoyable
Cons
not knowing when the bottom would fall out of the company because of the market issues.
great place
Mechanical Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHApril 11, 2016
This truly is a great place to work for. They mean good but there is no clear chain of command in the district. At each school there they run things the way they want to.
sad place to work
Production Foreman (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 2, 2016
places need a lot of work and also safety is very bad there union runs the place they do not take care of there management over all this is a hole in the wall.
Utility Electrician (Current Employee) –  Lorain, OHFebruary 17, 2016
A great place to work at. The typical work day
was always getting things done before the
end of the work shift. The work was always
different every day.
Dangerous and fast
Supervisor, FORKLIFT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  CANTON OHIOFebruary 11, 2016
Hectic,fast,changeable--- 42 yrs.I learned alot from melting steel refining and casting steel.--I leared from my managers to becoming one.--I worked very well with male and females on a grate levle.---Changing daily with liquid steel and other problems.--- Learning and moving ahead.
Pros
FAST PACED AND CHALENGING
Cons
I HAD A LONG DRIVE TO CANTON OHIO.
The job paid well enough to put up with the downside until they laid off everyone and closed the plant.
Mobile Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHFebruary 3, 2016
Many bad decisions were made by higher ups without consulting workers who knew these were mistakes and could've helped avoid driving the plant in the ground. Sometimes it seemed like they wanted it to fail. Shamefully, this put over 1000 people out of work. A majority who were put out of work had many years in the company, too.
Pros
Pay
Cons
People in charge with closed minds and ears.
Hard Work, dirty environment and plenty of opportunities to repair things.
Systems Repairman (Current Employee) –  Lorain, OHJanuary 26, 2016
Typically, I would show up 30-45 minutes before start time, change into my FR rated clothing, cup of coffee and morning meeting. I would leave the meeting and do a walk through to check the systems, drives, etc to see if everything was powered up, no faults, no flooding in the basements and visit with the operators to see if they had any problems or concerns. then, I would run from one breakdown to another all day, by myself and sometimes with no break or lunch. A good day was one that everything I touched got fixed. I learned that I couldn't count on anyone but myself for help or to get it done right. I didn't have a problem with any of my managers due to the fact they knew how hard I worked every day to keep the place running. The hardest part of my job was the 1/2 hr ride home just sitting in my truck. I felt like the tin man needing a oil can when I got out of my truck. I really enjoyed it when they gave me a project that allowed me to design and build from scratch a control panel that worked the first time it was tested.
Pros
Job experience, location, learned how to be "flexible"
Cons
A lot of walking with all my tools and meter. Up and down ladders, etc.
Great Working Expirience but hard times are driving the company under
Rolling Mill Utility (Current Employee) –  Lorain, OHJanuary 11, 2016
I love the people I work with in this company. The managers on the lower level are quiet good but frequently abused by upper management. We re continuing to lose customers and productivity due to upper management/owners failure to run the business properly
Pros
good pay and benefites
Cons
frequent and esxtending lay-off periods.
Plant in Lorain Ohio is closing
Electrical Engineer/Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Lorain, OHJanuary 8, 2016
Closing plant in Lorain Ohio, was a fun place to work. Evaluation doesn't really matter. Was close to my house, didn't drive far.
Not recommended
Order Inquiry Quality Analyst (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHJanuary 4, 2016
Do not recommend as a good secure work environment. Very negative attitudes encouraged by weak management with absolutely no people skills.
Pros
Cons
Many
A place to work to pay the bills
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHNovember 14, 2015
Good wages but the company does not have enough employees to man the facility. Short workforce causes massive overtime with little to no time off.
Pros
Enjoyable coworkers
Cons
Short breaks, long hours
Old
Supervisor of Rolling Mill (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHNovember 7, 2015
Old building and Old Management that don't seem to care anymore. Need new people that care. Its like the place is looking for the place to close and really don't care how much we do. Very poor communication between floor and management.
Pros
easy job
Cons
Bad upper management
Clean Place, Great Management, Poor Owners
Stock House / Material Handler / Fork Lift driver (Former Employee) –  Gary, INOctober 23, 2015
Owners shut us down, cut off there money maker. Time for the father to take over and save his company before he looses everything.
Pros
Cons
Owners not thinking
had good life at republic steel until shutdown
temp. manager,teamleader (Former Employee) –  lorain oh. 44052October 20, 2015
enjoy my time at republic my coworkers and management I enjoyed the different jobs I learned at republic steel there were a lot of variety in my daily work
Very fast paced environment
Scrap Prep (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHOctober 15, 2015
Good company to raise a family in the past. With the influx of foreign steel and market changes not a good place at this time.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Unstable
Productive and fun wokplace
Melter (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHOctober 8, 2015
worked with great co-workers, like family away from home. Being so knowledgeable at different jobs I never knew what job I would be doing from day to day, operating the furnace, a crane, fork lift, or a piece of heavy equipment. I got along with management well and did what I was asked to do, even when I felt it was the wrong decision and only after I stated my case as to why I felt it was wrong. The hardest part of the job was making timely and quality product with faulty machinery and the most enjoyable part was when everything was working properly and everyone was on point with their tasks. things flowed ever so smoothly.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
12 hr days alot, had too many bosses and not enough workers
productive and hands on work
Heat tapper, Crane Operator, RAM Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  lorain ohioOctober 7, 2015
overall good place to work,knowlegable coworkers and staff.most enjoyable part of the job was getting all of the steel ladle done on time and correctly made steel chemistry for the grade that was called for.
Pros
great healthcare and pay
Cons
short breaks, working lunches and dangerous atmosphere
Productive and work well with other people
Machine Operator/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Gary, INOctober 6, 2015
every day was different a lot of times I was, a utility person because of all the equiptment I could run, hardest part of job was setting it up
Pros
lots of overtime sometimes
Cons
business up and down

2.5