Republic Steel Employee Reviews

19 years service. was a supervisor the last 7 years
supervisor in 1990. Responsible for directing (Former Employee) –  8th street canton ohioJanuary 2, 2017
keep in constant contact with the melt shop to know when heats needed pulled.directed railroad crews to pull heats and put new drags of molds back into melt shop and brinrg heats to the stripper building. direct the crane operators to lift ingots. then instructed railroad crew to take drag of molds to the mill.then also had a bottom pour crew to prepare new drags of molds to take back to melt shop.hardest part of the job was learning the miles of different railroad tracks and directing three differant crews to pull heats replace mold and take heats to the mill.
Pros
pay and benifits
Cons
no job security
very productive place whne operating
Group Leader /safety corrdinator (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHSeptember 14, 2016
this steel mill was mis managed, and with imports they did not work their mills properly, leading to a major shut down. I worked there for 40 years, andfelt they could have been in business yet if they had worked things better. I enjoyed my job doing various jobs from being a group leader, safety corrdinator, and doing heavy equipment operating
Pros
great place to work good benifits
Cons
lak of good management
long days good pay
Run Out Caster (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHDecember 16, 2016
Worked long hrs. around very hot steel. Learn to run overhead crane and Runout pulpit. Management was there when needed but mostly let you do your job. Working such long hrs. every day most people did their best to make coming to work the next day as pleasant as possible. The long hrs./ days and hot steel were the hardest part of the job. Going home and days off were the most enjoyable part of the job. Running the overhead-crane was somewhat fun.
Pros
high wages
Cons
Had to make your own lunch-time, nobody to cover job.
A continuously Improving Company for future steel markets
CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHJanuary 5, 2017
Republic Steel offers a great deal of experience and knowledgeable mentor ship for all of its employees. In an industry which moves rather slowly compares to its counterparts republic has been thriving on Continuous Improvement techniques over the last year to grow as a global competitor. The company is more like a small family which is slowly growing into a massive production house.
Pros
Great work experience and learning curve
Cons
Slow growth and work hours
Numerous bankruptcies.
Continuous Caster Pulpit Operator (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHDecember 30, 2016
Company was bought by Mexican Steel-making Family (for our patented Steel recipes, I believe). Management then ran the Mill into the ground resulting in plant closing.
Pros
Excellent co-workers
Cons
Poor upper management.
Filthy, dangerous place to work
Maintenance Technician Mechanical (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHSeptember 17, 2016
Although the conditions are terrible, the money and 100% company paid benefits make it all worthwhile.
must respond immediately to any breakdown, work in extreme heat and try to get things back up and running
Pros
good benefits, lots of breaks, laid back superisors
Cons
too many layoffs, not knowing what tomorrow will bring
Poorly Managed
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Massillon, OHFebruary 10, 2017
Owners refuse to invest in the business. Management is no open to ideas. Projects are poorly managed. Not a good place to work.
Pros
Cons
Run like a mom and pop shop
Steel Indusrtry
Roller Operator (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OhDecember 20, 2016
The steel industry is tough. when the oil prices go down, things get a little unsettled. I worked in the bar mill a roller. The roller's responsibility included making sure that the mill ran smoothly. It was my responsibility to decide if the mill need to stop production based on all the equipment on the floor was running correctly. Making sure that the parts we were producing were up to spec and that we did not cobble because of a malfunction in equipment.
Pros
Being able to work with a team and being part of a union
Cons
Layoffs - mill shut down
Closing to open plant in Mexico
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHSeptember 24, 2016
This company is completely unethical and has closed various locations. Members of management who want to make a difference and are honest performers are terminated quickly. They want this company to operates as if it was in Mexico.
Pros
Pay was decent
Cons
Owners
Hard work, good pay and benefits
Senior Operator Technician / Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OH 44053July 15, 2016
Although the work most times was dangerous, hard, hot, dirty and loud the pay and benefits offered, off set the conditions we worked in. In the 43 years of working there I made many friends and had many laughs. If it wasn't for that I would have lost my mind or quit.
Pros
Pay and Benfits
Cons
Working turns, loud, hot dangerous and dirty.

Want to know more about Republic Steel?

Ask a question
One of the most important jobs in the company
Overhead Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Blasdell, NY 14219July 20, 2016
Operated an overhead crane in a steel-producing plant. Travelled along the ceiling of the plant lifting steel and other heavy loads. Multi-tasked by controlling 5 levers, a brake pedal and a radio all at once. Controlled the swing of the hoists using physics and perception. Communicated with workers on the ground using radio and hand signals. Used problem solving skills in unsafe situations and whenever necessary. Performed maintenance on equipment and always handled it with care. Trained co-employees to operate an overhead crane. Occasionally performed other job duties and always worked safely. Actively attended the United Steelworkers union meetings.
Pros
Job was fun
Cons
Workplace was dirty
Paid exceptionally well and co workers were very helpful
Operator (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHMay 5, 2016
I enjoyed my time at Republic. I really liked the scope of work and the opportunity to learn and run different machinery.Everyday was a little different so it was nice to have something new to look forward too. Management was fair and honest. Hardest part of the job was not knowing how secure the job was based on the turmoil of the market.
Pros
job was very enjoyable
Cons
not knowing when the bottom would fall out of the company because of the market issues.
poor
Pipefitter/Welder,millwright (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHDecember 29, 2016
old owners were great they showed a future new owners ran it right out of business .ya gotta invest to stay ahead of the game and made some poor investments
Productive and fun wokplace
Melter (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHOctober 8, 2015
worked with great co-workers, like family away from home. Being so knowledgeable at different jobs I never knew what job I would be doing from day to day, operating the furnace, a crane, fork lift, or a piece of heavy equipment. I got along with management well and did what I was asked to do, even when I felt it was the wrong decision and only after I stated my case as to why I felt it was wrong. The hardest part of the job was making timely and quality product with faulty machinery and the most enjoyable part was when everything was working properly and everyone was on point with their tasks. things flowed ever so smoothly.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
12 hr days alot, had too many bosses and not enough workers
A Good Place To Work
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHJune 5, 2016
Was A Good Place To Work Wile It Lasted.Many Different Jobs Worked With Different People .Different Equipment 3 Shifts
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Worked Regurlary
Great Working Expirience but hard times are driving the company under
Rolling Mill Utility (Current Employee) –  Lorain, OHJanuary 11, 2016
I love the people I work with in this company. The managers on the lower level are quiet good but frequently abused by upper management. We re continuing to lose customers and productivity due to upper management/owners failure to run the business properly
Pros
good pay and benefites
Cons
frequent and esxtending lay-off periods.
Not a place you would willingly choose to work
Salary Worker (Current Employee) –  Lorain, OHSeptember 24, 2014
Poor Management from the top down is the essence of this company. Lack of any project management or vetting processes virtually assure all projects will fail to deliver on time, will fail to work as desired, and will go over budget. No plans are created for company longevity (equipment upgrades, procedural enhancements). Staff cuts are the primary way to save money. Job responsibilities are distributed to remaining employees. High stress caused by this volatile environment has caused a large exodus of veteran employees and knowledge. Safety violations are rampant. Many vendors will no longer work with the company due to failure to pay or late payments.
Pros
Good Healthcare Benefits
Cons
substandard safety practices (in news for blatent OSHA violations), substandard or nonexistent C-level management, no project management, reputation for not paying bills to vendors, no work-sponsored events or perks, constant layoffs or downsizing without role replacement, outdated offices, substandard equipment, lack of procedure and policy, poor vacation policy
not productive place, with no opportunity for advancement nor job security.
Electric Arc Furnace 1st Helper (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHApril 15, 2015
A typical day, consist of management not communicating to the work force, on what we are planning to accomplish for the day. How many heats we are trying to put out, and the type of heats we are planning on running. Very dangerous situations being formed by poor decision making, which has created some unsafe conditions.
Pros
Compensation, Benefits
Cons
Unsafe Work Conditions, Mass Layoffs
sad place to work
Production Foreman (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 2, 2016
places need a lot of work and also safety is very bad there union runs the place they do not take care of there management over all this is a hole in the wall.
Very fast paced environment
Scrap Prep (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHOctober 15, 2015
Good company to raise a family in the past. With the influx of foreign steel and market changes not a good place at this time.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Unstable

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Republic Steel. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5