Republic Steel Employee Reviews

Hard Work, dirty environment and plenty of opportunities to repair things.
Systems Repairman (Current Employee) –  Lorain, OHJanuary 26, 2016
Typically, I would show up 30-45 minutes before start time, change into my FR rated clothing, cup of coffee and morning meeting. I would leave the meeting and do a walk through to check the systems, drives, etc to see if everything was powered up, no faults, no flooding in the basements and visit with the operators to see if they had any problems or concerns. then, I would run from one breakdown to another all day, by myself and sometimes with no break or lunch. A good day was one that everything I touched got fixed. I learned that I couldn't count on anyone but myself for help or to get it done right. I didn't have a problem with any of my managers due to the fact they knew how hard I worked every day to keep the place running. The hardest part of my job was the 1/2 hr ride home just sitting in my truck. I felt like the tin man needing a oil can when I got out of my truck. I really enjoyed it when they gave me a project that allowed me to design and build from scratch a control panel that worked the first time it was tested.
Pros
Job experience, location, learned how to be "flexible"
Cons
A lot of walking with all my tools and meter. Up and down ladders, etc.
Great Working Expirience but hard times are driving the company under
Rolling Mill Utility (Current Employee) –  Lorain, OHJanuary 11, 2016
I love the people I work with in this company. The managers on the lower level are quiet good but frequently abused by upper management. We re continuing to lose customers and productivity due to upper management/owners failure to run the business properly
Pros
good pay and benefites
Cons
frequent and esxtending lay-off periods.
Plant in Lorain Ohio is closing
Electrical Engineer/Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Lorain, OHJanuary 8, 2016
Closing plant in Lorain Ohio, was a fun place to work. Evaluation doesn't really matter. Was close to my house, didn't drive far.
Not recommended
Order Inquiry Quality Analyst (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHJanuary 4, 2016
Do not recommend as a good secure work environment. Very negative attitudes encouraged by weak management with absolutely no people skills.
Pros
Cons
Many
A place to work to pay the bills
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHNovember 14, 2015
Good wages but the company does not have enough employees to man the facility. Short workforce causes massive overtime with little to no time off.
Pros
Enjoyable coworkers
Cons
Short breaks, long hours
Old
Supervisor of Rolling Mill (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHNovember 7, 2015
Old building and Old Management that don't seem to care anymore. Need new people that care. Its like the place is looking for the place to close and really don't care how much we do. Very poor communication between floor and management.
Pros
easy job
Cons
Bad upper management
Clean Place, Great Management, Poor Owners
Stock House / Material Handler / Fork Lift driver (Former Employee) –  Gary, INOctober 23, 2015
Owners shut us down, cut off there money maker. Time for the father to take over and save his company before he looses everything.
Pros
Cons
Owners not thinking
had good life at republic steel until shutdown
temp. manager,teamleader (Former Employee) –  lorain oh. 44052October 20, 2015
enjoy my time at republic my coworkers and management I enjoyed the different jobs I learned at republic steel there were a lot of variety in my daily work
Very fast paced environment
Scrap Prep (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHOctober 15, 2015
Good company to raise a family in the past. With the influx of foreign steel and market changes not a good place at this time.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Unstable
Productive and fun wokplace
Melter (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHOctober 8, 2015
worked with great co-workers, like family away from home. Being so knowledgeable at different jobs I never knew what job I would be doing from day to day, operating the furnace, a crane, fork lift, or a piece of heavy equipment. I got along with management well and did what I was asked to do, even when I felt it was the wrong decision and only after I stated my case as to why I felt it was wrong. The hardest part of the job was making timely and quality product with faulty machinery and the most enjoyable part was when everything was working properly and everyone was on point with their tasks. things flowed ever so smoothly.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
12 hr days alot, had too many bosses and not enough workers
productive and hands on work
Heat tapper, Crane Operator, RAM Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  lorain ohioOctober 7, 2015
overall good place to work,knowlegable coworkers and staff.most enjoyable part of the job was getting all of the steel ladle done on time and correctly made steel chemistry for the grade that was called for.
Pros
great healthcare and pay
Cons
short breaks, working lunches and dangerous atmosphere
Productive and work well with other people
Machine Operator/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Gary, INOctober 6, 2015
every day was different a lot of times I was, a utility person because of all the equiptment I could run, hardest part of job was setting it up
Pros
lots of overtime sometimes
Cons
business up and down
workplace
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gary, INOctober 3, 2015
nice working place friendly environment good crew that work good together. Hardest part is dealing with the weather. good supervisors
Pros
rewards for reaching quota for month
Cons
short breaks
Work was good long hours.
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHSeptember 28, 2015
I loved going to work every day. Met a lot of good people who knew their job very well. Unfortunately for us workers the high up management lost control of the operation and forced closure.
Pros
very good place to work
Cons
mis managed
Good Company
Steel Facility Scrap Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHAugust 13, 2015
A great company to work for with a competitive environment. Compensation and benefits are very good considering the amount of work expected in a given week.
production
Transportation (Current Employee) –  Lorain, OHAugust 13, 2015
Safety is always first at the work place. it doesn't mater how fast you are but how safely you can get the job done. the steel mill is an hands on place where you can learn and get the experience you need.
Pros
free health care
Cons
short breaks
The Global Economy, Politics and Climate change
Maintenance Technician Electrical (Former Employee) –  Lorain OhioAugust 13, 2015
The global economy, politics and climate change have provided me with another mass layoff number. When i asked one of the big bosses if we will ever make steel here again, he said that all depends on "market conditions".
kind of dirty cold in the winter
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHAugust 11, 2015
interesting work enjoyable workforce with a lot of opportunity to advance management was hard to get along with supplys were provided as needed
Pros
clean lunch rooms and free water for employees
Cons
make your own breaks on the run
I LEARNED WHATHAPPENS WHEN WE ADDED CHEMICALS TO THE WATER
PUMP HOUSE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  UTILITESAugust 6, 2015
MOST OF THE DEPARTMENTS IN THE MILL THAT I WORKED IN DO NOT LONGER EXISTS , I WORKED IN THE BLAST FURNACE DEPT. WHERE WE MADE THE IRON FOR THE STEEL
bad upper management
Process engineer (Current Employee) –  Lorain, OHJuly 23, 2015
Does not know how to make steel. The company lies so much but never deliver what they promised. Co-workers are good. Everything else is bad