Republic Steel

Republic Steel Employee Reviews

Very productive company to work for.
Material Handler (Current Employee), Lorain, OHApril 23, 2015
Great group of employees that work here and we all strive to do the best at our job and do it with the best of our ability and that is where we make quality steel!
not productive place, with no opportunity for advancement nor job security.
Electric Arc Furnace 1st Helper (Current Employee), Canton, OHApril 15, 2015
Pros: Compensation, Benefits
Cons: Unsafe Work Conditions, Mass Layoffs
A typical day, consist of management not communicating to the work force, on what we are planning to accomplish for the day. How many heats we are trying to put out, and the type of heats we are planning on running. Very dangerous situations being formed by poor decision making, which has created some unsafe conditions.
Relaxing Work Environment
Corporate Help Desk Technician (Current Employee), Canton, OHApril 12, 2015
Pros: Friendly staff, comfortable work space, knowledgeable coworkers
Cons: N/A
A typical day at Republic Steel has it's ebbs and flows from busy to quiet, typically in the morning and early afternoon. It's easy work and allows for a lot of conversation between co-workers for both personal discussions and business topics.

Our managers are very supportive, and easy-going. They're not over your shoulder to know what you're doing as long as you're productive and participating in daily work. Our current director has a change in the works for our department, but nothing production-impacting.

The hardest part of the job is getting non-computer familiar users to explain what they're problem is as clearly as possible. Sometimes, there are "code words" you can pick up on and make correct decisions to fix an issue swiftly.
Good company
Mobile Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Lorain, OHApril 3, 2015
Pros: Insurance
Cons: Getting things repaired took a long time.
Running mobile crane for 12 hours unload and load railroad cars. Safety is the most important thing . Co-workers seem frustrated at times with the long hours we had to work. Hardest part of job was if there is a breakdown on your machine it seemed like it took so long to get it fixed. Best part of job was operating the crane.
Not a very Productive Enviroment
Refining Supervisor (Current Employee), Lorain, OHFebruary 20, 2015
An enviroment with lots of wasted Talent that has an extreme amount of potential. Not much Positive to say about this location.
great money and benefits
Production Operator Refining (Current Employee), Canton, OHFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: laidoff alot
Bad environment,great pay,management gets treated bad.Saftey not a big concern.Layoffs happen a lot.Not a good company to work for.
I worked a lot of over time
Production laborer (Former Employee), Canton, OHDecember 30, 2014
I love my jobs and all the over time . I had 27years there of hard work
great people and love my job
Senior Caster Operator (Current Employee), Canton, OHDecember 18, 2014
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: layoffs
Casting steel, trouble shooting daily operation problems. A lot to learn when i started but worked my way up to senior operator. Had a lot of fun with a great team environment. Putting in long hours that were unpredictable due to mechanical issues.
Great Pay & Benefits but very high demanding job
Guide Assembler,Stand Builder,& Millwright. (Former Employee), Blasdell, NYNovember 28, 2014
Pros: great pay, great benefits
Cons: long hours, harsh envronment
I worked swing shift,7 days on,1 day off,7 days on,2 days off,7 days on,4 days off,then back to the beginning schedule.A lot of times I would work on average 80 to 90 hours a week.I figured if I was tired anyway,I might as well make money.Swing shift,specially working this type of job,takes a lot out of you.I did it for 6 years and never could adjust.It was really hard.The pay & benefits were great though.I did many jobs there.I built guides that helped guide the steel bar through the pinch rolls in a stand.I also worked as a stand builder.I would operated a overhead crane,putting on spider bearings on the pinch rolls,then drop them in the stand,then install the guides,then drop the stand in the mill.We rolled steel at over 2000 degrees.We made different lengths,diameters and 2 different shapes(round and hex bars).We also rolled coiled steel.It was a fun job but very dangerous.It was very cold in the winter and extremely hot in the summer.I learned to used different tools and heavy equipment and I learned how much I could endure.Most of the co-workers were great guys to work with.
Old equipment.
Maintenance Technician Electrical (Current Employee), Gary, INNovember 19, 2014
It was a good experience when I first started, but now I want to grow professionally. the equipment is too old and there is not automation at all.Terrible management, some good co-workers , some bad like everywhere else,
Very productive and great pay
Casting Associate (Current Employee), Canton, OHOctober 13, 2014
This was a great company and I would gladly work with them again
I loved the job
Millwright (Former Employee), Lorain, OHOctober 6, 2014
Pros: unlimited overtime
Cons: a very weak authority presence, no housekeeping
Republic Steel was the job of my dreams, great crew, everyday was a new and an exciting challenge. I was recently a lay off by surprise, along with a hand full of others. The furnace was running more efficiently and the caster was making the final product.
excellent people to work with . safe , fun and hard working
MTM (Current Employee), Lorain, OHSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: medical benefits, good wages, incentive.
Republic Steel is a very antiquated mill with daily repairs required to keep it running. I worked in the Bar Mills and Rolling Mill departments. Most Jobs required skill and safety skills . I was surround by good experienced hands as well as knowledgeable bosses . It is a good Place to work.
Not a place you would willingly choose to work
Salary Worker (Current Employee), Lorain, OHSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: good healthcare benefits
Cons: substandard safety practices (in news for blatent osha violations), substandard or nonexistent c-level management, no project management, reputation for not paying bills to vendors, no work-sponsored events or perks, constant layoffs or downsizing without role replacement, outdated offices, substandard equipment, lack of procedure and policy, poor vacation policy
Poor Management from the top down is the essence of this company. Lack of any project management or vetting processes virtually assure all projects will fail to deliver on time, will fail to work as desired, and will go over budget. No plans are created for company longevity (equipment upgrades, procedural enhancements). Staff cuts are the primary way to save money. Job responsibilities are distributed to remaining employees. High stress caused by this volatile environment has caused a large exodus of veteran employees and knowledge. Safety violations are rampant. Many vendors will no longer work with the company due to failure to pay or late payments.
Unorganized company
Millwright [MTM] (Current Employee), Canton, OHSeptember 18, 2014
Great co-workers, poor management, working in hot conditions and welding.
so-so
melting supervisor (Current Employee), Canton, OHAugust 25, 2014
it started out a good challenge. but offering improvement ideas and watching the company repeat the same mistakes over and over takes its toll..
The people there were great.
MECHANICAL MAINTENANCE MANAGER (Former Employee), Lorain, OHJuly 2, 2014
The hours were long and so were the weeks. Hard to plan a life there. Often would know what days you had off on the weekend (if any) until Friday.
Co-Op Engineer
Engineering Co-Op (Former Employee), Lorain, OHMay 25, 2014
Pros: great experience
I worked as a Co-Op Engineer along with 15 other engineers to install an Electric Arc Furnace at the Lorain, OH facility. I was responsible for writing bid specifications, checking over drawings for errors, assisting crews with assembly, and approximating areas for assembly work space.
casual attire, picnics, after hour gatherings
Primary liaison (Former Employee), Bala Cynwyd, PAMarch 18, 2014
Started as a mail clerk, worked my way to Administrative Assistant.
Wrapped steel samples that needed to be sent for testing.
Assisted the Office Manager and Sales Team with projects as needed.
Fast paced with fluctuating climate
Stacker Crane Operator (Current Employee), Lackawanna, NYDecember 5, 2013
Pros: high rate of pay and superior health insurance
Cons: rotating schedule
Operating a Stacker crane which is basically a Forklift suspended on a rail system to keep floor traffic minimal. Help process steel bars off mill to be stored on racks or on warehouse floor.
*Excellent pay/benefits
The hardest part of this job is working the rotating shifts. The rotating schedule makes personal/family time hard to schedule, especially with a wife, and 10 month old son at home.
I have gained material handling/Forklift experience through this job.

Republic Steel Salaries