ResCare Employee Reviews

Found 2,375 reviews matching the search
Great Work Life Balance/No room for growth or advancement locally
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 9, 2017
The Rescare location at Little Rock, AR has a great work life balance. The staff culture here is great and family oriented. However, if you are looking to advance within the company locally this isn't the place for you. Also the management team shows care and concern for their staff as it relates to your well being. However, minimal insufficient training will be provided. The management team are so hands off that you may fail at your position due to lack of leadership. The company's benefit package is below average. Health care premiums and deductibles are extremely expensive. There aren't any perks in the benefit packages. Raises and bonus are not easy to obtain. If you do qualify for a bonus it will take upwards six months to receive. Overall this is a good place to work, but not a great place to remain employed long term due to the lack of local advancement and insufficient management of staff.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Healthcare cost, no room for advancement, insufficient managing of staff
Run away fast
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 28, 2016
Do you enjoy having more and more work dumped on you with no compensation increase? Do you love corporate big wigs making horrible decisions and the only people that suffer the consequences are middle management and the little people? Do you never want to promote or get a raise? Well then ResCare (respect and care) is the place for you! Rescare Corporate representatives have about as much business sense as a resident of Rescare. Example: When the verge of FLSA was on the line ResCare (respect and care) decided instead of paying managers over time they were going to cut the managers wages and make them work mandatory overtime. (Corporate called it the 80-20 plan!) (respect and care). That is one way to keep your employees who have showed longevity of 25 plus years. Seriously if you care about people or want to do better for yourself do not choose this company.
Pros
No Raises, Expensive health care and vision, No chance for promotion!
Cons
None loved this company
Lack of communication makes working here difficult
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAJanuary 6, 2017
ResCare was not a bad job by any means. It was very rewarding and a relaxed environment. However, the lack of communication between the staff and the managers, and the managers between their supervisors, and between all of the supervisors made this a difficult place to work because you never know what's true. For example, one day of my training was canceled. However, everyone who was in the training showed up. We never received an email or phone call to tell us we would not be training that day.

There are a few staff members that are rude to the residents of the group homes. However, even upon bringing it to the attention of the management, nothing was done about it. Nothing really gets done unless you take it to corporate, but then that would be breaking the chain of command.

I loved my guys though. That was very rewarding and made it worth it. I would still be there today if I had not had a physical incident.
Pros
Rewarding, relaxed
Cons
No communication, no raises
Not a good enviroment
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Henderson, KYJanuary 18, 2017
I loved working with the clients, however the amount of overtime that was needed due to employees being multiple hours late to their shifts, without them receiving corrective action, meant a single shift could range anywhere from 8 hours to 36 hours. The lack of professionalism in management along with the blatant favoritism was honestly ridiculous. Most of my coworkers were good friendly people. The hardest part of the job without a doubt is being under-equipped to properly care for clients. More often than not there wasn't enough food in the house and in order to feed the clients I'd have to use my own money and not receive any form of compensation. Grocery lists were routinely ignored as well. All in all this is a place you should only work at if you enjoy kissing up to management in order to get away with not doing your job.
Pros
Helping Others
Cons
Favoritism in management, Low Pay
Employees and staff are just numbers to upper management
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Yuba City, CAFebruary 9, 2017
I worked at an ICF/DD-N so all my clients were wheel chair bound, incontinent and over half were g-tube fed. Medications were a large part of every shift, including narcotics counts. Direct supervisor was great, but upper management treated employees and clients as numbers not people. No raises in over 5 years, strictly minimum wage. Supplies were always short. They hired, burned people out, threw them to the curb and hired again.
Pros
Wonderful clients
Cons
Corporation didn't care about providing for clients
Poor Culture
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  West VirginiaOctober 31, 2016
Company expects you to give your life to them by being on call without pay and available at all times. Found way around DOL new salary law by cutting peoples pay, great example of doing the right thing. The morale is always down so the turnover is high, company lacks vision and is only interested in this quarters profits and it shows in the quality. The company rolls out new systems all the time only to scrap them a year later because they don't work and we're not well thought out! NO RAISES EVER AND NOW THE PAY CUT with below average benefits, veteran people are leaving out of pure frustration and others are soon to follow but hey that's good for the company we won't have to fill those positions and can pile that work on someone else.
Incompetent management
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Dunbar, WVFebruary 8, 2017
Once was a good place to work but has declined rapidly. New management has ruined rescare. While doin orientation they stress neglect & care for consumers but once u reach the field & get n a site u quickly notice rescare management doesn't practice wat they preach. All n all if u have other options for employment I would recommend considerin all other possibilities before applyin with this company. Half the time u have to fight & claw to receive your compensation for mileage & any bonus they CLAIM to pay.....
Pros
Relationship with consumers
Cons
Bad hours & shifts, bad management
Poor management very unprofessional
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILNovember 11, 2016
I worked for ResCare for 11 months and only make 8.75 they don't have raises and management is often replaced so as a DSP you will probably know your clients everyday needs more than management. It's a ok job if you don't have kids but if you do this is not the job for you, being that working for ResCare you literally and figuratively have no life or time for much outside of work. I did learn a lot from working for the company but I could not settle for company you cannot grow in.
Pros
Fun workplace
Cons
No breaks, no raises, unorganized
Career Ruining
Residential (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 20, 2017
Benefits are terrible, might as well kiss your paycheck good bye. ResCare NEVER gives raises, despite annual performance reviews. The work environment is VERY hostile, unethical, and unprofessional. If you do your job well, you will get other jobs added. ResCare often functions at minimal staffing, which results in high burn-out and turn over in all departments. Higher ups are big on retaliation in any form. It is very disappointing for such a large company to operate so poorly.
Cons
health insurance, don't care about employees
Fun eork place
Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 27, 2016
Seeking an entry-level position in the capacity of: Preparation Cook Food Safety/Personal Hygiene/Purchasing, Receiving and Storing / Preparing, Cooking and Serving Food/ Cleaning and Sanitizing/Nutrition/Culinary Measurements/Tools and Equipment/Basic Knife Skills & Safety/Fundamentals Fruits and Vegetable Classification/Meats, Poultry and Fish/Shellfish Identification Stocks, Soup & Sauces/Prepare Starches/Preparing Breakfast Items / Pantry and Cold Food Preparation/Station and Line Cook Production/Sauté and Pan-Fry Cooking/Braise, Stew and Roast Preparation Skills/Poach and Broiler Cooking/Front-of-the-House Trained/Understanding the Micro-World/Identifying Contamination /Food Allergens and Food borne Illnesses Food Safety Regulations and Standards
Ok place to work
Medical Billing Payment Poster (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 21, 2016
The skilled homecare division was horribly run which is why Rescare closed it. The branches were allowed to do whatever they wanted and the billing department had to work around them. The branches were not held accountable for getting preauthorizations so a lot of money was lost due to services provided without authorization. The entire company is run completely backwards. It is the largest mom and pop run company you will ever see.
Pros
Made allowances for family (school snow days, children being sick)
Cons
Did not get a raise in teh years
Loved working there
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Fort Oglethorpe, GAJanuary 31, 2017
I only worked here as a part time job. I worked 10 hours a week. They always wanted me to pick up more hours but I was working 2 jobs at the time and trying to raise my children. Overall the management was wonderful, always willing to help you if you ahd a problem or with a client. I truly enjoyed my 8 years working for this company. I would still be there if my schedule would have allowed it.
Pros
Helpful management
Cons
Benefits seems pricey
Awesome office staff but terrible pay
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814January 13, 2017
Rescare is great in some ways. If you want time off they are always understanding. They always find hours to fit whatever schedule you need. The office staff is awesome. They are so friendly and good people in general. The negative side to working for them is the pay and zero benefits. You can work for them for years and never receive a raise. I would work for them forever if you could survive on the pay.
Pros
Working in the community with great people
Cons
Terrible pay
Rescare DSP review
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Richmond, INDecember 7, 2016
The biggest disappointment about this job is COMMUNICATION! Especially from management, they won't communicate things in a timely manner and expect you to just know whats going on even when you are new, and when you do something wrong they'll question as to why it was wrong when you weren't properly told what to do and how to do it.
Pros
Mileage compensation, 7 days on 7 days off if you enjoy that some people won't
Cons
Mileage compensation takes months to receive, Pay, Communication, Management
no benefits, not enough hours given
direct care staff (Current Employee) –  Burlington, NCAugust 21, 2016
When the job position started in was really nice and management was decent over the years management has become messy not giving you time requested off showing favor toward employees that do not do the work required. They do not recognize or give praise to employees that do a great job only the ones they really like not employees that do and outstanding job or go above and beyond for their clients. promoting employees that do not deserve it and telling employees they are going to get a promotion just to get them to remain at rescare and later saying they are not qualified for the position that they said they were trying to fill. Employees should be up front with their employees and let them decide if they want to stay in a position or not get a promotion.
Pros
clients and family memebers are really go to work for.
Cons
not enough hours given
Proud to work for.
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Silverdale, WANovember 18, 2016
In our Washington state branch, we love our DSP and clients. Pay ranges from $12.15 to $15.42 with raises annually. Work 80 hours a month and get full medical, dental, vision and prescription for $25.00 a month. Management is friendly, professional and take pride in thier jobs. If you take pride in earning your paycheck and love helping people, I encourage you to apply.
Pros
Wonderful caring staff
Cons
You haven't applied yet, let's change that.
Indentured Servants in a feudal society
Middle Management (Former Employee) –  Centerburg, OHJanuary 30, 2017
The only thing that seems to matter to this company is the all-mighty dollar. It does not matter if the individuals receive proper care, if the staffing levels are safe for the individuals, or if the individuals are even happy.

The staff at ResCare have not received raises in over 8 years. There are currently no incentive plans for the staff.

ResCare does not care if someone works 16 hours every day. If they do not have enough staff to take care of the individuals, they will mandate staff to stay over until you have reached 16 hours. If mandating does not cover the schedule, then the Program Managers and QIDPs are expected to come in and work for free. There is no compensation time offered; since these positions are salaried, it it free labor for ResCare. If it's your day off, they will call and demand that you come in or you will lose your job.

I really enjoyed my job before ResCare bought our company a little over 2 years ago. There is no consistency, organization, or leadership. There is no "respect" and there certainly is not any "care" in this company.
Pros
I truly care for the individuals with whom I have worked for over ten years.
Cons
ResCare does not care about the people we serve and certainly not about the staff.
thumbs down company
Former member (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 11, 2017
This company is about one thing, money and they don't care how they treat the individuals who live there to get it. They move clients who are profoundly intellectually disabled to new locations after years of living in a different group home without any thought of how it makes them feel. The overall idea is to close the home due to no placements (shocker they have a horrid reputation). Instead of moving the higher functioning folks they pick on the ones who are so low functioning and have no family to advocate for them. If you agree with this type of treatment by all means go work for them. This company does not pay direct care staff. They make 7.25 cents and they only get that because it's the required minimum wage. They push things under the rug and target the good people who speak up to advocate for the clients. The benefits are so expensive the direct care can't afford them. The current management is clueless to what's going on and the remainder of the lower management is dirty. I would highly recommend you walk away from this place. They don't care about you and will certainly hire anyone and throw them into a shift with little to no training.
Pros
Cons
Bad management horrible treatment of clients dirty homes bad pay
Horrible!
Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXJanuary 3, 2017
This is the worse job I have ever had... Its home health care without the compensation or the proper training. You could be verbally abused by the house mates and you can't really do much about it because they are handicapped. I worked in a home where I had to change adult diapers and shower adult women. I know they are unable to do it for themselves but I was very much unprepared for that kind of work environment. Also you have to cook for them but your not allowed to eat anything that was bought for the house.
Staff was pleasant to work with
Project Accountant (Current Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLDecember 8, 2016
No real job security. When the contract period is up and the client does not renew, you are out of a job. The benefits are not very good either. The employee basically pays for their health and dental insurance.

They do have great training and online classes. The supervisors I had the pleasure to work with, were knowledgeable and managed staff very well.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
No job security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ResCare. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7