*Schedule*: Part-time, 3 hours/day from 10:30 to 1:30 PM, 5 days/week, June and July off.
*Salary*: $13.55-17.29 DOE and Licensure
Apply at www.edjoin.org
JOB TITLE: HEALTH OFFICE NURSE (RN/LVN)
Under the supervision of the site administrator and school nurse, the health office nurse is responsible to provide care for students who are ill, injured, requires medication, and/or specialized health care procedures. Be knowledgeable about and implement students’ Individualized Health Plans; plan, assess and administer student health care safely within the LVN or RN practice act under the direction of a credentialed school nurse and per written health care provider orders. The health office nurse will also provide a variety of health related and clerical duties as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Assists with transferring students, assisting them into and out of motor vehicles, or within the school environment, for the purpose of ensuring student safety
- Attends meetings and trainings for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform health care functions
- Reports or corrects unsafe conditions for the purpose of ensuring a safe environment
- Maintains the health office so that it is a clean and safe environment
- Assists with personal hygiene, feeding of students, and handling of biohazards for the purpose of ensuring the health and safety of students and staff, following Universal Precautions at all times
- May be required to support students with toileting needs
- Administers specialized physical health care services, medications, and treatments to students according to written health care provider orders and under the direction of a credentialed School Nurse and in accordance with state laws and RUSD Board Policies
- Accompanies students on school field trips if needed
- Provides first aid and care for students with minor emergencies or illnesses; contacts parents or emergency personnel if necessary
- Assists in communicable disease control and inspection for head lice
- Maintains routine records for the purpose of providing written support and/or conveying information related to specialized physical health care procedures, including but not limited to maintaining daily records of student visits to health office and what action was taken
- Refers students with health concerns (emotional and physical) to the School Nurse
- Monitors health supplies and notifies the School Nurse when supplies are needed
- Assists with maintaining health records and computer input
- Other related duties as assigned
JOB REQUIREMENTS - QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience: Successful interaction with children in a structured setting; graduation from an accredited Vocational Nurses Training Program and/or Registered Nursing program. One year related experience preferred.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent is required; A.A. or B.S. degree is preferable, completion of Licensed Vocational Nurses Training Program or Registered Nursing program.
- Skill, Knowledge and/or Abilities:
Skills to empathize with the needs of students; react with flexibility, patience and sensitivity to changing situations and needs of students; communicate with students; structure time effectively; carry out oral and written instructions; make appropriate decisions on a timely basis; basic computer application; maintain cooperative relationships.
Knowledge of proper English usage, record keeping techniques, appropriate safety precautions and hygiene standards, and basic needs of students at the assigned location.
Abilities to stand for prolonged periods; understand and carry out oral and written instructions; prioritize, coordinate and organize needs of position with minimal supervision; maintain confidentiality of student records; meet schedules and deadlines; read/interpret/apply rules, regulations, health care provider written orders, and policies; and rapidly learn methods and materials used in a variety of situations. Significant physical abilities include lifting a minimum of 50 pounds, carrying/pulling, stooping/kneeling/crouching, reaching/handling/fingering, talking/hearing conversations and other sounds, near/far visual acuity/depth perceptions/accommodation/field of vision.
- Licenses, Certifications, Bonding, and/or Testing: Current, active California Vocational Nurse or Registered Nurse License, TB test clearance, Criminal Justice Fingerprint Clearance, and possess a valid California Drivers’ License and evidence of insurability. Must obtain CPR/first aid certification prior to employment.
- Other: Must have access to a working vehicle to travel from site to site as needed.
Board Approval: 6/25/13