Research In Motion

Research In Motion Employer Reviews

Contributions and Expectations in BlackBerry
Automation Development Eng and Software Dev (Former Employee), Waterloo, CASeptember 14, 2014
Pros: amazing infrastructure, helpful colleagues
Cons: everyday commute, not enough vegetarian food options in cafeteria
My initial task during my internship was to convert an app made in Adobe AIR into cascades (C++ and QML). I was given an inherited code, which was about 100 lines. Some of the goals during the start of the internship were to schedule time meetings with other team members to discuss the code and different files in the project.
First few weeks went into – more... basic conversion of different files and making sure that they compile and function accordingly. After 2 weeks I was given few files to write my own code for the application to perform some specific tasks as desired by key decision makers. During this time I analyzed past code in Adobe AIR and determined the necessary similar function calls that had to be made in QML.
I expected this from the internship as I wanted a developer job and company had hired me to develop. My expectations were to develop on different platforms, but with the given size of application and responsibilities this wasn't possible. Other expectations were that I will be working with few others on the same code and we will divide our tasks like in ECE 297, but I was the only one handling the entire code and others in the team were working on the other parts of the application. Making an entire application on your own was a good experience and learning were unstoppable.
In my four months internship I got a chance to sit in the meetings where important decisions for the company BlackBerry were being made. People were really co- operative and this work term increased my horizons in other areas as well. The
things that we do in our school are mostly similar to what I experienced in my work term.
When I started my internship, I was told that this project was already overdue. In the beginning it was a lot of pressure to complete the application as soon as possible. So I started working on the things first that were important than others on the app. There were changes in resources that impacted the entire team. I tried to remain calm and focus on the application. – less
Productive workplace and friendly co-workers
Field Test Specialist student (Former Employee), Bellevue, WAAugust 14, 2014
Pros: free lunch and travel
Cons: i had to go back to school.
The duties I performed and learned was the stationary and field testing of upcoming BlackBerry Handsets and Playbook including the verification of product performance in GSM/UMTS/HSPA/LTE network to ensure quality prior to release with a focus on device performance and issues faced by the customer.
To extract handset logs (RIM Proprietary logs, Qualcomm – more... QXDM logs and Omni peek logs) in case of call fails, resets, WLAN and other issues.
Performed first level trouble-shooting of issues in the field, collect logs using Wire shark, QXDM, Omni peek and other internal tools.
Worked on CDMA, EVDO, GSM, WI-FI, VoIP, and LTE technologies.
Run E911(Enhanced 911), AGPS( Assisted GPS),CPTA(Call performance Test Application), MHS(Mobile Hotspot) ,MVS(Mobile Voice System),Wi-Fi Testing, Metrico VQ and Issue verification tests for the carriers such as AT&T and T-Mobile.
Provide feedback to the developer by reproducing the issue and providing additional issue logs using MKS Integrity Tool.
Performed Cycle Tests (MO/MT Call performance test, SMS,E-mail, Call retention tests,Multi –RAB tests,Inter-RNC Network test,HSDPA Network test, Scenario Tests, WLAN Tests like Captive Portal, Hotspot login on the BlackBerry and the reference handsets..
I would finish my duties and always be home in time for dinner. – less
Good work place
Field test specialist (Coop) (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 22, 2014
Enjoyed work culture and learnt a lot. Very helpful staff and got chance to implement wireless comm knowledge practically.
What a shame
Sales Manager (Former Employee), CaliforniaJuly 17, 2014
Pros: great product, top talent, fun and flexible work environment
Cons: sorry, that was about 3 years ago
BlackBerry was a fantastic place to work. We were representing a cutting edge technology in a fun and flexible work environment surrounded by talented and dynamic team-members.
As BlackBerry began to fall out of favor with consumers, there were a number of re-orgs and leadership changes that either directly or indirectly led to the loss of top talent – more... in the organization. Ultimately, this led to a loss of identity and a change in culture that left BlackBerry unrecognizable to those who had been with the company for a number of years. – less
Digital Hardware Designer
Digital Hardware Designer (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONJuly 16, 2014
Pros: great experience
Cons: the environment
A digital hardware designer at BlackBerry (then RIM) used to be a great place to work. The technical aspects of the job are still good - you still learn lots and the design is done in house. The worst part is when friends from outside the company bring up the company's future all the time.
The best people to work with
Lab Technician Assistant/Competitive Intelligence (Former Employee), City of Sunrise, FLJuly 11, 2014
Some of the sweetest and most encouraging people in the world, and more than supportive to their team mates.
Report Writer for Cellular Phone Manufacturer
COGNOS / Oracle Report Developer (Former Employee), Alpharetta, GAJuly 1, 2014
I loved this job because I had a great boss, who had worked with me before and had known me for ten years. I was regarded with lots of respect and responsibility, challenging work to do, lots of independence, and great friends. Unfortunately the company is not making it and the whole office staff were terminated.

I had not used Cognos before but was – more... able to pick up the basics fairly quickly, Also I enjoyed the chance of learning how a star schema works, and exposure to ansi standard SQL. Our queries were very elaborate way beyond anything I had used before in more than 15 years as a senior database developer.

I loved this job. – less
Good place to learn post Si validation and debug
Baseband Interface Validation Intern (Former Employee), Irving, TXJune 13, 2014
My first internship was at BlackBerry. Good exposure to various cellular systems validation methods and state of the art lab equipments
Good learning environment
Radio Software Integration Intern (Former Employee), City of Sunrise, FLMay 29, 2014
Lots of resources to learn from. Good cross-team, cross-platform working environment.
Great Company, cutting edge technology
Senior PCB Designer (Former Employee), Irving, TXMay 27, 2014
Pros: generous salary and benefits.
I worked in advanced technology R&D. Learned about a lot of cutting edge technology. Great management and coworkers. Challenging layouts and schedules.
Great environment
Marketing Specialist (Former Employee), City of Sunrise, FLMay 22, 2014
Pros: recognition programs
Cons: very conservative thinking
BlackBerry's corporate environment was very friendly. It has very competitive compensation and benefits. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with so many people within the organization and being able to work very independently and from home.
Some of the greatest challenges was being able to deliver on a timely manner while everything constantly – more... continue to change. – less
Great Team and Great Achievements
Senior Director of Marketing - Latin America (Former Employee), City of Sunrise, FLApril 25, 2014
Outstanding performance in Latin America. From 2008 to 2012, BlackBerry market share soared.
Vice President Marketing (Former Employee), Dallas, TXApril 7, 2014
Good place to work but going thru a significant shift in strategy, size and locations. People are great. I would work for them again if the assignment and location were right.
Varied and fun environment until office closure became imminent
Planning Analyst (Former Employee), Alpharetta, GAApril 2, 2014
Pros: variety of work duties; the ability to telecommute, location
Cons: everything not standardized
Work day varied. Position included contact with internal and external clients, contract facilitation, interface with various departments, bill reconciliation, troubleshooting, working independently and as part of a team. Interfacing with executives regarding budget, personnel and projects. Proprietary software updated and interfaced often presenting – more... frequent OJT buddy training opportunities. – less
Great company
Interoperability Test Specialist (Current Employee), City of Sunrise, FLMarch 28, 2014
Great company to work and learn, makes quality and great products.
Very knowledgeable and talented people with lots of experience work here.
Awesome Company to work with.
Receptionist (Former Employee), Irving, TXMarch 6, 2014
Pros: saw great new products.
Cons: main office was in canada.
The company was out of sight. I met so many cultural people and learned so much about the blackberry phone.
Leading, motivating and setting direction
Materials Manager (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMarch 3, 2014
• Provided leadership and vision to a team over 20 to enable operational execution
• Created daily reports of quota, target achievements and analysis
• Maintained inventory and flow of materials to ensure no interruptions in process
• Trained and certified all employee on 7 rotation position including all new hires
Fast paced environment
Partner Technical Support (Former Employee), Irving, TXFebruary 28, 2014
- Intense troubleshooting on all platforms
- Great teamwork
- Intense performance review promoting self improvement
- Problems with BlackBerry device OS and exchange policy make harder to adequate customer satisfaction
- Broad learning experience with exposure to leading technologies and internal support to back up support
Fun
Ambassador (Former Employee), Orlando, FLFebruary 6, 2014
Had a great time promoting BB. Had a ton of co-workers willing to show me the ropes. Most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that I received a ton of new tech to play with all the time.
Interesting and challenging projects with a variety of people and cultures exposing me to new and different ideas.
Program Manager (Former Employee), Waterloo, IAFebruary 5, 2014
- attend meetings, interact with customers/clients and peers
- learn something new everyday (a focus of the day)
- manage/mentor team members as needed through ups and downs of a normal job
- hardest part was working around the clock with international customers and resolving language barriers to discussion

1 2 3 4 5