Residential Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

Terrible management and violent house
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Brookston, MNDecember 21, 2016
I applied for the stipend rate at the brookston group home. Waited 5 months for our person served to move in to the house. 1st month of their arrival was very rough. Violent, combative and abusive. I was assaulted 2 times in less than 2 months and found out that no consequences were put in place for the individuals who had assaulted me. Fond du lac police that came to the house when call are pure lazy. Did not take either person to jail after hurting staff. Hr did nothing to help me come back. Also found out that the supervisor and directors withheld information that could've helped us staff. Will never go back to that house. Do not apply for the brookston position through rsi.
Pros
Farm setting, nice coworkers
Cons
Bad management, pto was denied, violent clients, no compensation for injuries.
Do not work here
Direct Supports Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 15, 2016
This is not a job that I would recommend to anyone. The administration is out of touch and extremely naive and over optimistic while also being very volatile. There is no job security and yet there is a lot of incompetence with incompetent staff somehow staying when good staff are fired or quit.

The residents are the best part of this job but the pay is terrible especially as an overnight Direct Supports Coordinator.
Pros
Christmas and tax return bonuses
Cons
Terrible pay, terrible benefits, out of touch administration
A terrible place to work
Shift Lead/Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Virginia, MNDecember 13, 2016
RSI does well for the residents. However, management treats their employees with disrespect and indifference. Pay raises are almost non existent. Some Coordinator/supervisors will scrutinize your every move and you get written up for the smallest mistakes. In a nutshell, I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
Cons
Does not treat employees with respect
Interviews are misleading
Direct Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 2, 2016
During the interviews they make the job seem a lot less involved, a lot less personal care and a lot more fun. within the job its a lot of work for very little compensation
Pros
activities
Cons
compensation, personal care
Great work place
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 29, 2016
RSI provides workers with the ability to create and advance making work life amazing. They even provide opportunities to complete your education and return or take a break and return. It's great!!
My own business
Owner/Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterford, WISeptember 13, 2016
This was both enjoyable and stressful job. I started this as a cleaning service, but it turned out to be more of a property management by the time I closed the business. I had learned to be very flexible and compensating. I would say the hardest part of the business would be the last minute cancellations and the most enjoyable part would be having the clients trust and loyalty.
Pros
Met some great people
Cons
Weeding out the unreliable clients
Great opportunities for advancement
Psychotherapist (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNNovember 30, 2016
Very caring work environment and great balance. THe opportunities for advancement and support in building a career is second to none. I was given a lot of support throughout my education as well as after I finished.
Tough enviroment, but worth it!
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI 48238November 6, 2016
Working with at-risk teenage females was challenging, but worth every minute. Not always the most pleasant environment, so you had to work hard to maintain positivity.
Pros
Results
Cons
Residential
Direct Support Professional/ Designated Trainer (Current Employee) –  MNSeptember 22, 2016
I am unable to discuss a typical day at this employer due to HIPAA. Co-workers and Management are great! We have great teamwork and support. Overall the job is very rewarding. The hardest part of the job is not enough hours.
Managing Clients
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 16, 2017
Provided Services to clients with disabilities. Gaining trust to assist with their daily needs. Helping others who may feel inadequate or helpless. Giving back to a community who needs guidance.
Very difficult days but rewarding
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MNJune 21, 2016
Working with the clients was both very rewarding and very stressful. Short staffed, busy environment. would not recommend if you have never worked with young clients before.
Family oriented company that wants to take care of it's clients the best that they can.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNMay 21, 2013
A typical day at work consists of clocking in, attending clients needs, taking clients on outings, taking care of behaviors, cleaning the house, giving medications, and preparing clients meals. Co-workers are amazing, and management is there to help.
Pros
flexible hours, great co workers
Cons
no raises
Opportunites to Grow
Team Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Virginia, MNOctober 21, 2015
RSI has been one of the best companies I have worked for but I just want to see what else may be available for me in life. I started as just a DSP but was able to "climb the ladder" for the first time in my adult life and I am currently a supervisor. I have made some the best friends and contacts while working here and would highly recommend it to someone who really wants to work hard and prove themselves.
Pros
Pay is higher than other jobs in this field for the area.
Cons
Managers are too overwhelmed to be on top of things. Not their fault just part of the job.
Residential Home
cna (Current Employee) –  Hibbing, MNOctober 29, 2015
I love working for RSI. A typical day at the program that I work in varies from day to day. Meadow home is a very high medical home and also has some high behavior. So on a bad day it is very hard to deal. A good day well is great.
I have learned a great deal while being at RSI. I have learned I have a lot more patience then I thought I had. I have learned to pay attention to the smallest things to prevent certain issues that my arise.
The management could use some help. The higher ups are a lot easier to talk to. There are some managers and supervisors that I have a hard time going to. I feel as though they are pretending to listen but don't really. I also believe that there are things that need to be handled and that they are pushed aside or under the rug per say.
There is also a lot of Gray areas in the program itself that I believe needs to be fixed for it to be run efficiently.
Pros
Clients are awesome. Some staff are great people
Cons
To many "gray" areas. Not the best managerial team
Good company run by good people
Personal Care Assistant (PCA) (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNApril 19, 2014
I worked in two well-run group homes under RSI. The need for personal cares, lifts and transfers, and thorough cleaning was almost constant, but that is of course an unavoidable part of working in the industry.

The clients and coworkers were pleasant, and lines of communication to management were open.
Training and advancement opportunities were always available.
It was a very productive environment. I learned a lot of valuable and memorable experiences.
Person Cre Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elizabth City, North CarolinaAugust 28, 2015
The family I assisted for those amount of years; garnered all along(working closely with families- finding avenues (different arenas that works for them(, that can promote positive outcomes.
Pros
The family accepted me, helping to promote diversity. That's what I totally stand for.
Cons
Unable to better prepare myself for the envitable .
Very Client Oriented which is great!
Shift Leader/ Team Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hibbing, MNApril 30, 2014
A typical day is "not sure if you coming or going". Co-workers are the best! My staff was amazing, they really are good at what they do. The hardest part of my job was not know what I needed to ask, when I needed help. The training for my position is basically non-existent... Sad, because I really loved my clients and my staff. Most enjoyable were the clients. They made me laugh most of the time.
Pros
Spend time with clients and a lot of hands on time.
Cons
Lack of Training if you come from outside the company, Not enough time allotted to get all the paperwork done.
A good place
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Mora, MNJuly 6, 2015
The staff at RSI works together well to create a safe environment for the clients. The only reason I can not continue employment is due to supervisor not certified to sign for internship.
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNJanuary 21, 2013
Pass medications, house chores, cook and clean. I like my co-workers and nearly every person in management. The hardest part of my job is handling behavioral disabilities of the clients.
Pros
rewarding job
Cons
no "household" food, pay
Direct Support Specialist
Direct Care Specialist-Lead Staff (Former Employee) –  North Branch MNNovember 4, 2013
Again a wearing job. dealing with behavioral clientele. can be rewarding to see how your interactions assit a person in changing their life style