Resolute Forest Products Employee Reviews

Great and dedicated workers
Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Catawba, SCSeptember 26, 2017
During my early years the company was more like a family. Over the years, the Paper Industry started to struggle, and Bowater was bought out and eventually became Resolute. I was serving a special assignment, as the Pulp and Paper Union Rep., as Safety Coordinator. I was a role that I held for 5 years. It was this assignment that made me realize that the Safety field was where I needed to be and could offer the best of my talents. In August, Resolute laid off 180 people, and my special assignment ended and I had to return to the labor force. I made to decision to stay with the company, even though I had accept a lesser paying job. I believe in being loyal to the company, but I am ready to pursue my desire to get back into safety.
Pros
I loved my job as Safety Coordinator, because of my interaction with the employees.
Cons
Sometimes feeling handcuffed by company politics.
Place is shutting down
Tech 3 (Current Employee) –  Calhoun, TNSeptember 6, 2017
Worked at this place for 14 years worked in three departments. Learned a lot. I've been laid off twice with the possibility of getting laid again. Looking for a job that has a little more stability
Pros
Pay is really good
Cons
Paper dieing industry
Very unstable place to work. Avoid at all cost.
Utility (Current Employee) –  Calhoun, TNAugust 30, 2017
They were hiring employees up to 3 weeks before they issued a reduction of force. This forced the new employees to leave good jobs, just to get laid off from here.
Pros
Pay
Cons
To many to list
union based
Papermill (Current Employee) –  Calhoun, TNAugust 23, 2017
Union based, seniority operatered. Great benefits and pay. Overtime offered as needed or not needed. Fellow employees are great. Everyone watches out and helps one another.
Horrible. Stay away. Extremely high management turnover
Paper Maker (Current Employee) –  Calhoun, TNAugust 22, 2017
Good pay with poor insurance. New management monthly because of poor run ability and it never improves. This would be a decent job for a single person, but if you need steady employment look elsewhere.
Pros
They lied in the interview to me about job security (Massive Lay Off)
Utility Worker I (Current Employee) –  Calhoun, TNAugust 20, 2017
I would not recommend this place to my worse enemy.
They were deceitful in there hiring practices. I ask if i had a job for a while and they assured me i did but a month later i was let go in a massive lay off.
Pros
More time with family
Cons
Never know when your last day will happen
Poor management....need help
company employee (Former Employee) –  Catawba, SCAugust 9, 2017
This company is lacking a forward thinking management and will continue to go down the drain until they make some serious changes. The management that is in place were placed their with a lack of training and more so based on friendships. If you are offered a job with this company....Run! The staff that is there doesn't want any new employees with new ideas and they run off the new people. This place is a joke when it comes to management. They pay people to do jobs that they are not doing. Maybe this was once a good company but not anymore. they lack money for basic office supplies!
Pros
the sceanary
Cons
lack of suitable healthcare plan, no new ideas welcomed and lack of funds to run company
Good pay and great coworkers
mechanical mastercraft (Former Employee) –  Catawba, SCAugust 7, 2017
All in good place to work, great pay but hours were horrible, never knew when you were going home. Coworkers were great no complaints here. Management could use a few pointers.
Pros
great pay
Cons
hours on overtime
stressful days
Coater Helper (Current Employee) –  Catawba, SCAugust 3, 2017
very stressful work and poorly managed. home head quarters out side of the United States. Complete disconnect between corporate and the local mill site.
Fast paced
Commissioning Lead (Former Employee) –  TennesseeJuly 25, 2017
The management and team was extremely knowledgeable and fun to work with. The environment was face paced and highly demanding but the support provided made it all worth it.

Want to know more about Resolute Forest Products?

Ask a question
Once Upon A Time
Electrical and Instrumentation Mastercraft (Current Employee) –  Catawba, SCJuly 24, 2017
Once upon a time, this company was a good place to work. They cared about their employees and you felt that your role was appreciated. Over the years, through mergers and acquisitions, changes started to take place and company began a downward spiral.
Pros
Rate of pay, insurance benefits
Cons
Miscommunication, unaccountable management, polictics
Great Place to work
Chief Finishing Operator (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJuly 22, 2017
Safety first while maintaining production. Great place to work and a nice culture. working at this paper mill for 30 years and i have learned that teamwork is the most important part of a job while maintaining safety. I enjoy helping and showing others what to do and i also learn something new everyday. I have a very open mind about the way things run and not afraid to think outside the box as long as safety first.
fun environment but its still dangerous
Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  Catawba, SCJuly 13, 2017
working here is a fun and exciting place to work but at the same time you have to realize that there is danger everywhere around you. the hardest part of the job is watching for others. your actions in the work place can not only put you in danger but also the people around you. the people you work with are all friendly. of course like all jobs tension will rise but you all have to come together for the common goal and that is to make high quality paper at a great speed!
Pros
great benefits, fun people, good food
Cons
very hot, dangerous place
Worked 31 years made good money but dying business
Coater Operator (Current Employee) –  Catawba, SCJuly 2, 2017
Too many changes in last 15 years being bought and sold to different companies, not the same happy place to work as it was years ago ,used to be more like a family now your just a number ,,
Pros
Pay and vacation time
Cons
Slow moving up progress line to the better jobs
Long hours but pays well.
MACHINE 5TH HAND (Current Employee) –  Catawba, SCJune 20, 2017
Job pays well but no balance between home and work. Basically always on call. Job is hot and a 12 hour shift can turn to 16 in a seconds notice. Coworkers are great for the most part. Extremely hot job.
Pros
Downtime if machine is running well.
Cons
No official lunch break
Great pay.
No. 2 PM Coater Specialist (Current Employee) –  Catawba, SCJune 11, 2017
Paper company. The pay was great , hours were long. We worked 12 hour swing shifts. The itself was not hard, just dealing with the heat was the worst part. Got plenty of overtime. Overtime that you wanted and overtime you didn't want.
Pros
The pay was great.
Cons
Hot environment. It
Twilight Zone
To ashamed to identify (Former Employee) –  Calhoun, TNJune 10, 2017
Calhoun TN is one of the most wasteful and poorly managed places I've ever had the dissatisfaction of working at. If you enjoy working with or around other people who hold zero accountability for nearly all work related tasks, this is it. (Hard working/intelligent humans need not apply) This is a culture based off of a " S**T where you sleep," mentality. Do yourself a favor and spend a little more time/energy with your career search. Good luck.
Pros
Na
Cons
Refer to the above statement
Stressful and sometimes dangerous place to work
Asst. Power operator (Current Employee) –  Catawba, SCJune 6, 2017
Very stressful and dangerous place to work but you can also learn a lot of different skills. Everyday you would come in and take over the job which your skill set requires. Every work day is a 12 hour shift
Unknown
Multicraft Mechanic/Millwright (Current Employee) –  Calhoun, TNApril 27, 2017
A typical day at work is a day of unknowns... what you will do, where you will go, how long you will be here.

Management is always up in the air about decision making...

Culture here is "We have always done it this way"

Most enjoyable part of my job is getting to go home...
Pros
good pay
Cons
unknown work hours
Great
Broke Cutter (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAApril 25, 2017
I loved working for the mill. the people were cool, the environment was neat. it was hard work, but i really enjoyed my time there. I only worked there for two summers though.