RESORT LIFESTYLE COMMUNITIES Employee Reviews

I would not recommend working here to my dog!
Day server/ housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 31, 2017
No wonder the turnover is so frequent! I loved the residents and felt like they were family but the supervisors were partial to certain employees and forget needing Any time off to go to the doctor.
Great company
Activities Director (Current Employee) –  Bartlett, TNFebruary 25, 2017
Great company to work for. There's not a typical day. It's an honest company with good morals. Home office is understanding and not too pressing.
Pros
free lunch, good bosses, always changing
Cons
always changing, slow to advance
OK place to work in Bartlett,tn
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Bartlett, TNFebruary 6, 2017
Managers are unprofessional if u report anything wrong happening there they fire you....They mistreat the residents and they feed them salty food.
Pros
Free lunch if they like you
Cons
Don't want u to take a break
Extremly hostile work environment. Stay far away!!!
Sales Director (Former Employee) –  San Antonio (Emerald Oaks)January 20, 2017
This community has had 3 different management teams in the short time it's been open. They hire completely incompetent managers who pass their work onto you and then preach about time management. The managers are disengaged from all  community events and couldn't care less about the wonderful residents. I'll be more specific...  Instead of joining the community in remembrance of a resident passing, they'd rather enjoy room service in their apartment. Management is constantly harrassing you about sales and tours, but refuse to take any part of the sales process. If a prospect inquires, calls, or comes in on your day off, you'll never know until they call back upset that no one has reached out to them. If you are still considering a position at Emerald Oaks,  mentally prepare yourself for an extreme hostile work environment. It doesn't matter how dedicated you are. I worked hours  pasted my shift, came in on my days off and often took on responsibilities for the betterment of the community. I led our community to the top of the charts in move ins and Instead of celebrating the successful month we had, I'm called into a private meeting where the managers verbally attacked me with shouts of profanity and threats. According to manegement, having the residents best interest at heart has no place in their community. You express your concerns to corporate but they do nothing. These people only care about taking advantage of seniors and making money off of the move in. Do yourself a favor and save the heartache.  This company has no place for a good person.
Pros
The Residents and coworkers
Cons
Hostile work environment, Unprofessional manegement, job security
Productive and fun workplace
Server (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 9, 2017
Working as a server at a senior home was something I did not plan to do in my high school years, maybe in college; but I had grown desperate for a job and decided to apply and got the job! It was one of the best decisions of my life because I got to meet and get close to some of the sweetest seniors I have ever met and it saddened me to have left them. The manager was so sweet to me and took all of my questions and answered them in the best way possible. She always checked up on me and made me laugh which made working so much better. 10/10, definitely would recommend for teens.
Pros
free food (at times)
Cons
little pay
Loosing Core Values
Leader (Current Employee) –  Nation wideOctober 10, 2016
There is never a typical day in this industry.

In order to promote the community and maintain occupancy, one has to be willing to work long hours and be available most weekends.

Resort Lifestyle Communities for the most part has been a great company to work for.
Unfortunately the company is loosing focus on what draws so many to RLC. It's Core Values.

It is with much sorrow that I am searching for other opportunities.
Pros
Changing lives of Seniors
Cons
loosing it's core values
Micro Management
Lead Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 21, 2016
Would Not Recommend this employer. Micro Management, Lack of support. Best part of job was our residents... We loved them and cared for them.
Pros
Working with Spouse
Cons
Manager experience much different than any other employees
Community Manager and Special assignment manager (Former Employee) –  NE, TX, KS, MO, TN-9 communitiesMay 25, 2016
If you've worked as community manager you know the privilege of serving this generation to be the biggest pro- this is why we stayed so long with RLC. You also know the sacrifices managers make. Working here is no different than the other big companies. The manager-concierge arrangement is NOT superior. It requires even more from you.Read the job description carefully. Not only are you to achieve and maintain 100%census,budget, and resident happiness but also personally fill in for any absent staff member. Really! This is a challenge that few managers can attain. We know from experience because we filled in for all those who left out of frustration or termination. And there have been many in the last 6 years we have been special assignment managers. In addition the year we were managers of a 100% building also proved to be just as frustrating. Watch out for the communities that have had only one or two sets of managers. They have been allowed to become successful by any means to drive census. When those "successful " managers move on to open another you most likely will be left hanging with dysfunctional nightmare. RLC began as a family with core values that are exemplary. Unfortunately that stopped with the addition of upper leadership from the big H companies. They can talk endless circles of industry jargon but have never worked even a week in your shoes. They do not value experience from the field.There is little to no promotions of faithful managers. They Only critique-they pride themselves with more of us ready to go on the bench. If you value your health, marriage and  more... career -do something else. It's the same package with a new bow. Also luxury living is different than gracious living it comes with a luxury price tag. Unless you get a new building with great demographics and you look like the folks on the 5:00 news keep looking. The best part of RLC is the VP of Human resources -and the great home office staff.  less
Pros
Serving this great passing generation-seeing people thrive with care
Cons
Lack of support from leadership for managers and huge turn over
Sous Chef/Executive Chef
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMay 12, 2016
I was hired as a Sous Chef, then the Executive Chef quit a week after I started. I ended up working an average of 55-60 hours per week with very little support. I helped carry the majority of the work as they finally hired an Executive Chef. The new chef was extremely verbally abusive. I was ultimately let go from the position without any communication from the management as they only took his word about the situation. Even though I had proven myself with my hard work for the previous three months, they never asked for my input even when I asked for a meeting. They ended up letting him go three weeks later when the staff and residents complained of his behavior.
Needless to say, I would not recommend this environment to anyone.
Pros
Free meals, decent pay
Cons
Very little appreciation for hard work and horrible communication.
Typical three month run at this company...
Director of Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXMay 11, 2016
Read the reviews on this company and do not work here.Had I known that the moment my butt hit the chair I'd be expected to accomplish what no other marketing director was able to do, I would have run for the hills.There's a reason why they've not enjoyed a large occupancy rate and that's location, cost, and huge employee turnover. Don't even try to level with management on this as that will make you public enemy number one. No job is secure here unless you're the undermining concierge who works the morning to mid-afternoon shift. No matter if you say please and thank you, she'll resent you for asking for any support and report you to a manager saying that you think she's your secretary. It truly is fire central as in previous reviews from former employees.They change on-site managers, chefs, marketing directors, and many other key employees without just cause. One complaint on the food from the residents (by the way, corporate is dictating how much money can be spent there) and there goes the latest hard working employee. Lunch was never an event that you could leave the site for. Your meal was pretty much allocated to a 10-15 minute break.Corporate was always there and would rush you through your meal and then send you back to your office without much help on the key issues you wanted to address.They promise you the moon in support and deliver a dictator or two. They cut my advertising budget from the get go and then came down on me for not having an advertising and marketing plan. I had the hardest time adjusting the micromanagement going on there and corporate never seems  more... to just let you TRY to do your job. I've never had a boss who paced my office barking out orders while I'm trying to make sales calls until I worked at RLC. I may have not done my job perfectly, but they apply so much pressure that you're doomed to fail from the start just by the sheer volume of intimidation.  less
Pros
Health Insurance
Cons
Low pay, intimidating and backstabbing employees/management
By far the most unprofessional, inconsiderate management team in the world.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Emerald OaksNovember 14, 2015
I love my residents and most of the staff, though the management team plays favorites, and does things that most people frown upon. They are going to be the reason that place goes downhill. I should ve reached out to home office long ago.
Pros
Getting to know my residents and making them happy. I felt like we were all family. I love them all
Cons
Management team very unprofessional and obviously very inexperienced, inconsiderate and no care for their hard working, dedicated employees.
Good people
Executive Chef/Food and Beverage Director (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasOctober 20, 2015
Cooking for seniors is always exciting and rewarding. Sharing their life experiences is always reminding me that it is more than a job but a calling as well.
Pros
Making connections with the residents.
Cons
Losing those you've grown a relationship with.
Excellent Company; Poor Management
Concierge (Former Employee) –  Evans, GAJuly 4, 2015
I was a third-shift concierge so I worked alone for the majority of my employment there, which really taught me how to thrive on my own. If something needed to get done, It was up to me to figure out how to handle it.
The few employees that I interacted with were very nice with the exception of one of the building managers. He was very manipulative and the majority of the staff did not care for him.
The hardest part of the job was what to do in crisis situations. Residents wore emergency pendants and would page me of they fell or were having mother medical trouble.
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to work at my own pace and being able to set the order for the tasks which I was assigned.
Pros
great benefits, excellent work setting
Cons
poor management
Shenanigans
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  San AntonioJune 15, 2015
The core values that this company praises is simply a smartly written mission statement. Not at one point after the initial opening of the latest RLC project (Emerald Oaks) did I feel or witness the slightest incident of any values.
There is an extreme lack of emotional intelligence and plain common sense by the managers.
My advice to anybody that wants to work there. Don't waste your time. Its truly the pits.
Pros
free lunch.
Cons
management Shenanigans
High paced breakfast and lunch server
A.M. Server (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXMay 5, 2015
Typical day at work included packaging and delivering to-go orders. Assisting residents with drink orders and/ or carrying trays to tables. Constantly bussing and wiping down tables, and resetting with silverware, coasters, and glasses for next occupants. Polishing glasses and rolling silverware are a constant task, along with bussing and making sure residents have what they need and are taken care of. Refilling juices and drinks as necessary. Setting out bowls and restocking supplies as needed; supplies including, glasses mugs, silverware, to-go items such as cups, lids, large and small to-go boxes, along with soup containers and lids.
Pros
Free lunch if worked 6+ hours
Cons
Constant change in management, distrustful co-workers
Excellent Company to work for!
employee (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 14, 2015
Happy environment to be in. My days go by quickly as there is always a lot to do! Co-workers are mostly fine sometimes there is drama but it's brought on by silly things. I love working with our residents they are great and I love them. Our management team is very hardworking sometimes taking on everyone else's job mainly to help get our jobs done when things get hectic, they also let us just do our jobs!

The hardest part really is the drama brought on by people who do not want to do their jobs and feel it is their job to run down everyone else, it gets old hearing the sob stories.

When coming to work here be prepared to be asked to smile a lot, spend time with residents and work hard we are encouraged daily to get involved with our residents and have fun at your job while working hard.
Pros
decent hours, decent pay, respectful managers, fun environment, the residents
Cons
deceitful co-workers
Bad Management
employee (Current Employee) –  Knoxville TNMarch 11, 2015
Though you get to work on time everyday, You do your job everyday. The residents love you and you in turn love them. The management does not care. You talk to corporate office to HELP you with issues, they investigate, then they say, talk to your managers. That is where the problem is in the first place. People are in fear of losing their jobs, due to the serious lack of professionalism from the management team. Running around and gossiping telling their issues with someone to other members of the staff. No support from managers and no support from corporate. This is not a company I would recommend working for. They fire devoted employees. I am currently seeking another place of employment, but as for now, I need a paycheck.
Pros
Residents
Cons
No support from managers or corporate
Positive and challenging work environment
Management Team - Couple (Former Employee) –  NE, KS, TX, FL, NC, TN, NV. AZMarch 12, 2014
Given the autonomy to manage staff and business within the well balanced guidelines of revenue, budget and program outline. Owner is involved enough where you feel you can discuss ideas. Regional is about sales, that is business - Staff at every building is as strong as the current management team - so very rewarding in the end. Customer Satisfaction is very heartfelt and warm when you care, they care. A win win situation.
Pros
Living expenses included, all meals included, fitness center, theatre and events available.
Cons
Living on site can get stifling, but if team is well managed it is a breeze. Better sales coaching for staff would be beneficial.
Prepare yourself for a three month run...if you're lucky
Marketing Director (Former Employee) –  TexasFebruary 2, 2013
I loved my coworkers and being able to assist seniors. Even with the constant firings both at the community and "home office" level, I wanted to fight through and do my job.
Yeah, try doing your job with NO support, NO training, and NO warning before you are the next in line to be cut. This company is fire central. There is no such thing as job security here unless you'd like to work 7 days a week and get nothing but negative calls from corporate.
Just to give you some idea: I was the fourth person in my position in a year. I was with the company a whopping four months and had two sets of managers, two chefs, two lifestyle directors, and saw another set of managers get terminated and the VP of marketing get let go.
I had an amazing offer with another company and I went with RLC instead. Please don't make the same mistake I did.
Pros
free lunches, decent benefits, working with seniors
Cons
everything else
A growing company with growing pains
Lakeline Oaks -Food Service Manager/Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TxJanuary 16, 2013
Love the residents and the ability to satisfy all there culinary needs. Big let down on home office support and General Management picks. My former property had eleven different management teams within a two and a half period.
Pros
working with seniors
Cons
horrid hours and zero staff support