Restaurant Technologies, Inc.

Restaurant Technologies, Inc. Employee Reviews

High paced office environment
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAOctober 29, 2013
As a Service Manager, handle all operational & customer related issues.
A typical day at work would start out with scheduling Service Technicians for the calendar day. Contact customers to advise of ETA on their Service Request. Receive bulk cooking oil distribution shipments at our Depot Facility. Enter into company software all Service Tech assignments from previous day which generate operational reports. This tells me where each individual tech is productive, efficient, defficient and where room for progress can be made if necessary. Audit all inventory movement(s) which was used by technician at each service visit. Enter into company software all payroll information from technical & distribution department staff which I oversee. Audit required daily DOT forms for oil distribution which our Drivers turn in at end of their shift.
Contact customers who have chronic issues with our equipment & follow through with a plan to resolve those issues; once those issues are resolved follow through with customer once again to make sure they are satisfied with the results.
Daily & Weekly HACCP audits of the Warehouse & Company Vehicles for Quality Assurance. This is typical for a Food Service Carrier.
Have weekly meetings with staff to advise of what they can expect fo r the calendar week (installations, service, special assignments). During those meetings advise staff of any new equipment or procedures for use in the field.
The most enjoyable part of my job is that I have the Freedom to work with very little to no supervision. I'm also very proud of the staff of nine (4 techs & 5 Drivers)
  more... which works for me. Eight of my nine employees have at least 5 years of experience working under my direction; their extensive experience & knowledge gained over the years have allowed for me as a manager to have trust in them & not have to make them feel like a bully on their back. The Team commerderie is excellent.  less
Pros
self management, can work from home if necessary. great team commerderie with staff.
Cons
work week is 60 plus hours, 6 or 7 days per week. no balance between work & home life.
Blah..
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLJuly 14, 2015
I left in 2005 and I just happened to see the reviews for RTI and it looked like the company hasn't changed much except for opening more depots. From the reviews they are still under staffing the workers (drivers and service techs) and over working the management team. The upper management makes unrealistic goals so it is no wonder that the General Manager position has a high rate of turnover... People working and being on call 24/7 is just horrible working conditions. The restaurants that were sold the system were led to believe that they would save money by filtering their fry oil keeping it clean but in reality the less they used the more they were charged per pound... The big accounts were paid for their waste oil while many were never compensated and the market is high for the waste cooking oil...

Plus, part of our bonus plan back then was related to many factors but the most annoying one was the company hired an independent review company that would call the restaurants and ask a series of questions. Many times the reviews were scathing when following up with a call back RTI was confused with restaurant equipment repair companies, when presenting this to upper management they didn't care even though it hurt quarterly & monthly bonuses for the depot.
Pros
The people that worked at the Depots were good hard working people.
Cons
See my review.
Productive, Full state of the art workout facility
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mendota Heights, MNJanuary 10, 2013
Assisting over 17,000 customer in 40 states with technical, billing questions, issues with monitor devices. I learned to repair oil pump systems, troubleshooting with customers to fix issues over the phone. I learned the value of customer retention, how to use various tracking software. Management was a great resource for the company, recognize employee potential, provided on-going information for department updates, changes within company improvements, visibility on global market. My co-workers were absolutely amazing, the chemistry, character, and commitment made the environment easy to work in. The challenges were viewed as opportunities to improve, add value, and enhance skills. In addition it help to create unique cultural within the department for cross training assisting others with opportunity for growth. The company as whole,with. various levels of management in other states, Account Representative, Regional Sales Managers, General Managers, and Service Managers from around the country with vast amounts of information made Restaurant Technologies Inc. a great place to work.
Pros
monthly corporate meetings free lunches, chance to win $100 gift cards for years with company.
Cons
n/a
ITS A JOB!
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 30, 2013
On a normal day would start between 7-8 am. depend on your position you would be in an out within an hour and start your route for service or delivery. You were lucky if you ever got off on time Overtime might as well be mandatory. I gain some technical experience in installation of multiple system, Repairing pumps, Customer services, Delivery of products in Delivery trucks CDL/non CDL/ Vans. Management in my opinion didn't know how to use employees effectively to maximize business productivity nor did they take responsibility for short comings. Co workers were decent. Just like in life you find a few people that you can put some type of trust in. outside of that the company was made up of people willing to cut your throat to get ahead or maintain a position Including management. Discrimination in the smallest ways so that It cant be called out on, but begins to take a mental toll on employees. hardest part of this job is working for some who truly don't give a care about you no matter how hard you work or effort you put forward and on top of that keeping your composer with customer on power trips. the best thing about this job is when I'm off spending time with my family. What did you expect? its a business.
Pros
benefits, competative pay, good experience
Cons
its a business
Horrible Experience
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  San AntonioAugust 16, 2015
This was hands down the most miserable job I have ever had. I was hired as the Service Manager and shortly thereafter the General Manager was fired and wasn't replaced with anyone local which dropped all the day to day operations on me with no salary increase. I received spotty training and was absolutely overwhelmed with the amount of work given to me. My replacement General Manager was 4 hours a way and was less than helpful. His solution to giving me help was "call one of your peers". I was told by the Regional Operations Manager that I "needed to eat, sleep and breathe RTI 24/7" because I couldn't afford not to. I was fired a week later for a "5C" violation but they couldn't tell me what I did wrong. My General Manager actually told me "you were given a big (insert appropriate S word here) sandwich" which sums up the 8 months I spent there.

I read the reviews before taking the job but really thought they were written by disgruntled current and former employees. I was wrong. This place will suck the life out of you and your family in a bad way.
Pros
Cons
Everything about the company
Used Car Salesman
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaJuly 4, 2012
If you are a used car salesman you will fit right in! I cannot wait to get out of this place - I never wanted to take the job to begin with and against my better judgement I accepted. The management is disorganized, never keeps appointments, offers no field assistance unless of course you want to learn about an SAS presentation! They teach you nothing about the system and cram down your throat how you must perfect the SAS presentation. The service teams are sub par and you find yourself being sales and service running all over creation fixing broken equipment and retraining minimum wage fast food workers. The equipment is always breaking and you will get phone calls all the time about the equipment. You will waste countless hours creating ridiculous presentations that 50 people have to look over and sign off - they are the most unprofessional group of individuals I have ever worked with in my entire life!
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
inadequate training on equipment, too much emphasis on sas presentations, disorganized management, incompetant service teams
The good, bad, and the ugly
n/a (Former Employee) –  MinneapolisApril 3, 2014
Most coworkers are friendly, helpful. Certain departments are well managed and great to work for (call center, facilities).

Management could be better. Only concern is the bottom line - and they don't care about how decisions affect employees. In the past 6 months, there were layoffs and most of IT and HR is outsourced.

There is NO work/life balance. Management expects all employees to do the work of 2 or more people and no matter how hard you try - if you don't keep up with their unrealistic timelines, you're out the door.

Only group that ever receives recognition is the sales team - even when they don't make plan. No other group receives recognition or training. No opportunities to develop within career. Very limited opportunities to move up.

Beware if you consider joining. It all seems great in the beginning...and then you go from hero to zero over night.
Pros
mostly friendly coworkers
Cons
no work/life balance, below average pay, cut-throat management
Pittsburgh's Black Eye
"Tech" (Former Employee) –  PittsburghJune 15, 2015
By far..... the most poorly ran operation I've been a part of. Get used to a revolving door w management, directly leading to dysfunction among the "techs". The one tech that "trained" me was verbally abusive to the customers as well as management n fellow employees leading to several disciplinary write ups. Very unprofessional environment. They expect you to be on-call and work weekends for a $2 shift differential which amounts to $16 extra! To work weekends! The other senior technician complained about management and the other techs so much, why would it change now? Bottom line..... The compensation doesn't equal the sacrifice they expect. I didn't have another job lined up and I still left, that's how bad it is there.
Pros
Good base pay
Cons
Too many to count
A troubled company
general manager (Former Employee) –  Mendota Heights, MNJanuary 4, 2016
Life as a depot manager provides no life / work balance. Company believes that 1 or 2 managers in each depot is sufficient to monitor a 24/7 operation and provide no administrative help for the never ending paperwork - Depot managers are continually answering requests from the corporate office Senior management does not want to accept that additional depot staffing is a must not a luxury. During my 14 months with the company at least 10 GM's and 10 SM's quit or were fired due to the lack of training.
This company DOES NOT set it's managers up for success.
Pros
Life at corporate looked great, life in the depots was not.
Cons
High Stress, Dirty Environment, No Training
Great place to establish yoursel
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Union City CaAugust 10, 2013
A Typical day started at 4:00 am all the drivers would come in and route plan, everyone would talk about helping each other out so we all could get back into the branch around the same time, no one would be left out there by themselves. The management side of the job was Ok, they tried to hear workers concerns, but i think corporate was coming down on them hard so they had to express that through us.(the driver). co workers were fun to be around, everyone was down to earth and friendly, it made the experience that much better.
Pros
great co workers
Cons
long drive days often kept drivers tired

Want to know more about Restaurant Technologies, Inc.?

Ask a question
Productive and funplace.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Haverhill, MAOctober 20, 2012
A typical day at work for me was entering data in the computer, and receiving tanks of oil. Had very friendly co-workers got along with everybody. I learned about their machines and parts they use to put in the restaurants. There was nothing hard about this job I love administrative work, multitasking and love learning new projects as I go to different companies although I wish to find a steady job. The most enjoyable part of this job I would have to say were my co-workers including my manager, unfortunately it was a temp job.
Pros
learned new things
Cons
temp job
If ya like being........
Slave (Former Employee) –  St Louis MoJune 3, 2015
This is 1 of the most F&%KED jobs I have ever had!
They made it sound like it was a great environment
everyone is family, last job you will ever have, no one ever leaves ETC ETC ETC,,,,,,,,,
Management is worse than the Gustopo. You have no life because you are attached to a out dated phone/radio/computer that u are required to monitor 24/7!
If they had there way they would have a GPS device implanted up your As s!
Oh and if ya like smelling like French fries all day, then this the job for you!
Pros
NONE! Pay Check! Welfare pays better
Cons
Everythng!
Innovative and Growing Company
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mendota Heights, MNJuly 8, 2014
RTI was a great place to work. I acquired a lot of new skills and had the opportunity to work with and become highly proficient with systems that I'd never worked with before. I had a great manager and made some lasting relationships with my team members who I still call close friends.
Pros
relaxed environment, supports inovation and process improvement, great people
Cons
lower than average compensation, not much room for vertical movement
management inconsistent
FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  dallas txSeptember 29, 2015
typical day management could have you scheduled to do install service calls or assist with delivery driver. Most of the time schedule is made the day before but changes suddenly. Co workers are ok better if you keep to yourself. Hardest part of the job is schedule too long to get qualityfamily time. Most enjoyable time is really when you're morking alone
Pros
work alone
Cons
working with someone with bad work ethic
cut-throat
Driver (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAMay 31, 2014
If you like being treated like a number, then you'll love it here. Easy work. Used to be a great company to work for. Things have really changed. Management makes decisions on how it will impact their bonus and for no other reason. Customer service no longer a top priority. If you are thinking about applying here...beware. you are bottom of food chain and will be replaced if you dont fit in.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
low pay, no appreciation, horrible management
Not a fun place to work
Operations Service Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesJune 21, 2015
Company doesn't respect the work/life balance of its employees. The company talks the talk, but doesn't walk the walk, only lip service. Management puts in far too many hours, constantly on call due to 24 hr operation, unable to disconnect from job. Doesn't seem to want to hire enough staff to perform all the jobs; therefore. management at local level has to do it all.
Great people but a lot of change
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  RTIJanuary 29, 2015
Need a change management manager. A lot of changes are occurring. The change isn't a bad thing, but the managers need more support to adapt. Invest more time in training and developing to see the change as opposed to dictating changes with threats.
Pros
great coworkers, good benefits, lots of autonomy
Cons
lack of top down communication from corporate, lack of job security
high energy, accelerated growth environment
Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 10, 2013
I have a high level of accountability for maintaining and developing all existing customer relationships in an assigned territory. I am a single point contact for all customer relationships. I provide customer training, equipment inspection and trouble-shooting, contract renewals, and new business through referrals
Tough Place to Manage
GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 8, 2015
The depot is managed in a perfect world and any one who is in Operations knows nothing is perfect. They actually crew management to do $12/hr work instead of hiring a full time employee to do that work.
Pros
Advancement potential is there if your willing to work for it.
Cons
They run the crew so lean that there is no work/life balance.
Great Company
Service Desk Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Mendota Heights MN 55112July 17, 2015
RTI is a great company to work for. I enjoyed everyday being there. Unfortunately the only department that seemed to run efficiently was the Service desk. IT operations has a lot of turn over. RTI has not had an IT director in over two years.
Pros
Atmosphere, Pay, Benefits.
Cons
No IT director, High Turn over