Retail Merchandising Services

Retail Merchandising Services Employee Reviews in United States

Mixed Feelings
rep (Former Employee) –  DaytonJuly 6, 2016
I agree with almost all other reviewers, good or bad reviews, because I can see that working with this firm could be a great experience in an area where there was sufficient continuity work---and very little of the wild goose chases that were unprofitable to me. In that case you might actually make the $12.00/hour that they say they pay. They have step by step instructions online, but for those one-time jobs the effort spent studying their instructions at home, my travel time, sometimes storing their supplies, sometimes waiting 15 to 30 minutes for store staff to provide required input, making appointments in some cases, and learning in-store that what they said about the job is not relevant to the locations they sent me to eliminated any chance of profitability. I gave it a month, but based on the value of time, car expenses, aggravation, and time to upload the before-after-during pictures and all their reading & reporting procedures that they require, it was not worth my time. I actually miss my recurring toy endcap and dvd jobs, they were fun and worthwhile, but much of the rest of it was a nightmare in my short time.
Pros
Recurring jobs were worthwhile.
Cons
Management is not up front about profitability for the rep, some of the home office staff were condescending and rude.
RE: No benefit to working here
Field Merchandiser / Auditor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 23, 2016
The workload never makes sense, sometimes it's 4-6 hours then other weeks 25, this is difficult as it is hired in as a 2nd job but it's so unpredictable. There is absolutely no advancement regardless of your effort, They push to move up as a trainer, but all that does is give you maybe any extra day of work every 2-3 months. You will be hounded over your work regardless of your answers and they will push you to do work in the stores that the stores are not always welcoming you to do so. They over sell their projects totheir clients and the push the work on the merchandisers that is a lot of times impossible to get done. Absolutely no real support from the office.
Pros
You work your own time
Cons
No advancement, no benefits (not even sick time), no raises
Productive work enviornment
JCPenney (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 27, 2015
A typical workday at this company would be focusing on both the customer, store information, and store product. We were expected to be in complete control of our assigned sections, making sure that everything was accounted for and all customers have been helped and serviced.
Too many hoops to jump thru......micromanaged internet biz.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  AnonymousDecember 13, 2015
The Supervisor is nonexistent. The three hour training consisted of some unhelpful female reading a binder. HR behave like the supervisors. HR e mails and e mails. Never anything good to say. After interacting with HR concerning an administrative task, I resigned. The HR answers anything negatively. I resigned after one week, however after two months filling out paperwork and drug tests. It was a disappointing experience.
Pros
Cons
too many pages to print out, low pay, HR has nothing good to say, people are treated poorly
fun work place
big lots (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 19, 2015
Great place to work fun atmosphere and many people to meetand helping the public is great love work places like this.Good management.
Pros
fun people
Cons
short breaks
Fun place to work
General Manager / Self Employed (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 31, 2015
I have enjoyed working in retail. I like to work with people. Customer service is fun. It's a fast paced job. Achieving target sales can be little challenging but it's always a fun.
Pros
free smiles
Cons
longer hours
Industry leader in field work instruction and training.
Retail Merchandiser and Field Rep Trainer (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJuly 22, 2015
RMS offers a wide variety of services in Target and many other retailers including car dealerships and service centers. All project information is provided via the web portal and project instructions are always complete with step by step detail, photos and any other pertinent information. Required supplies are provided except for the occasional need of scissors and we are allowed to either bring our own or we can ask to use store use items.

The home office is available during business hours 5 days a week and are always friendly and helpful.

Reporting can be done on a computer at home or while in the store on a tablet or smart phone. The web portal is the best I have ever used and is complete with training modules to time sheets.
Pros
Excellent communication and field instruction
Cons
Some repetitive work is restricted to a specific day and time each week.
Perfect part-time career
Field Representative (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 17, 2015
You get a flexible schedule to work around your schedule. RMS provides work/life balance. Communication, positive attitude and hard work will pay off at this great company.
Pros
Schedule and pay
Nice People. Very little hours
Merchandising Representative (Current Employee) –  Midwest USAJune 8, 2015
When I was hired for this position I was told I'd have about 4 hours of continuity work per week.That was three months ago. Since then, my hours have dropped off to sometimes only a half hour per week, sometimes more. They ended a relationship with a vendor that allowed me to have the additional hours. This is unfortunate.

Now, I have mostly surge work and different projects come up. You are paid by the project, not hourly. Most one hour projects pay $12. So, that means a half hour project pays only $6. If you have to drive a distance, even 15 miles, it's not worth it. This can be very frustrating. The work load is inconsistent so you can't really count on it for any meaningful amount of income. I've found that I have to work multiple jobs to even begin to make ends meet.

The people at the home office are nice and helpful but they need to work harder at bringing in the business.

They also pay $1.50 per pay period for printing materials. You use your own iPhone or iPad. This is not supplied.

Like give the company a better rating if there were more consistent and reliable work.
Pros
Nice people at Home Office
Cons
Minimal hours = Low income
not worth the time or money
dvd rep at menards (Former Employee) –  46526April 3, 2015
During hiring process I was told I would receive at a minimum 5-7 hours a week doing continuity and surge work. Not even close. The job I had was filling up a display rack and dump bin with movies at a Menards in Goshen Indiana. At most it takes a half hour. This is a continuity job that gets done every 2 weeks. Far cry from 5 to 7 hours a week as told to me I would get. Instructions stated this job takes one hour. One hour at $12 minus taxes isn't worth the time. All you are doing is putting that money back in your gas tank. You are not paid by the hour. You are paid by the job. If the job takes 15 minutes, you get paid $3. Is this worth time and gas? Don't believe it when you are told you will get a certain amount of hours every week and numerous surge jobs. I do not recommend RMS.
Pros
easy work
Cons
you will not get the hours as told
Good company values!
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh PAMarch 31, 2015
For companies of this type, they are very organized, an in every way they are on their game. I have worked for merchandising companies that lacked communication and supportive values. You can depend on RMS for providing support to their merchandisers.
Pros
flexibility in completing projects
Cons
few weekly projects
Had great management and was a fun place to work
District Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 20, 2013
Enjoyed the type of work that I did, loved the fact that my managers always took an active role in my position and teaching me management skills in order to promote.
Pros
insurance and 401k
Cons
hours worked
Wonderful company to work for.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNAugust 19, 2013
Tedious at times, but this job appeals to the neat freak in me. Perfect for my personality.
Pros
extreme flexibility in hours, pay, almost complete independence in work
Cons
only a part-time job, so another source of income is required.