RetailData LLC Employee Reviews

Ok for a "hold-me over" job
Data Collector (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 26, 2016
The "training" received is non-existent - You are given a hand-held and told "You use Z, R, or V buttons to input pricing" and are not sure what is for what. The first 90 days you are paid per hour and that's good. Then you go to "per piece" pay and that sucks. Mileage is reimbursed after the usual "normal" commute. The schedule changes often and at the last minute you are given jobs that are due that day, leaving you scrambling to complete them or else they are reported as late, If you can't reach your manager and have an issue heaven help you go to the next in line for assistance. You are working on your own schedule to complete the jobs within the time frame which works great for those needing to work around family schedules or full-time jobs. That is unless you are surprised with last minute jobs that have hours to be completed. Then you are expected to drop everything in your life and complete them.

This job is great for someone needing a part-time position or a hold-over until something permanent comes along or someone who is retired and just looking for something to do. I would not recommend it for anything else. One of the perks is getting to meet new people in the places you are working in.

There are no benefits and some long hours some days to complete jobs but its overall not a bad part-time job while working on hourly rate but not on piece pricing.
Pros
Great hold-over job.
Cons
Managers work against you. No benefits.
Salary, Schedules, and benefits
Data Collector (Current Employee) –  VirginiaApril 28, 2016
This is a company that after the probation period gets by with paying pennies per piece to their employees. Employees work 10-18 hour days at times to get the work completed for 0.0157 (minimum) a piece. So for an 11 hour day that 6000 pieces may be gathered, the pay is between $60 and $70. The rate is atrocious. Most other companies of data collecting pay more than this per piece rate. Some rates are higher but not over .12 a piece and not many of these jobs available.

Scheduling is good. Although more people leave the job and not replaced, more jobs available to do. Again on piece rate, difficult to get happy with the pay.

Working part time (over 40 hours a week) no benefits available. Overtime pay is based on your piece rate of hourly pay, e.g. 4.80 per hour in overtime pay. It is not paid at the minimum wage rate nor at the time and half for overtime.
Pros
As much work as you want; deadlines are set; work as your own pace
Cons
no benefits, no raises, low pay
They ask a lot and pay very little
Data Collector (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCFebruary 16, 2016
The first contact with this company after interviews and acceptance are Emails that require you to spend hours reading manuals, training yourself, electronically signing forms. All of this time is not reimbursed. They send company EMAILs constantly with changes to policy or manual, things to make note of...

I quit before I actually started. At my first training, I was told my job was to inventory everything in the target store, every week W-Sat.
The manager was doing it that week(well experienced) and it took her 20 hours. Then I found out I wasn't an employee of that store, but the client was a competitor.

The store I was supposed to work at was closer to my home, but the manager there told them to leave the store and not return. So, all I can imagine is that if I was a manager of a store where someone spent 20+ hours a week scanning items, I would kick them out. Then they'd assign me to different store, would I lose my income that week? They can't answer these questions because they're hypothetical.

$10/hour is what they pay during training and after that period it is piece rate -- the explanation of this rate in the manual is pretty inscrutable and the rate varies by product type.

I'm not a good liar. If I'm going to spend 20 hours in a single store every week, people are going to recognize me and get to know me. I can't just say 'I work for Retail Data and this is my assignment.' It's creepy. I could not see working that many hours in a store as an outsider. Can you imagine a lunch break with store employees, your peers, where you lie about what you are doing?
Pros
None that I can see
Cons
too many to list
Great for two month training
data collector (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaJanuary 17, 2016
The first two months of training is worth it if you have nothing else to do. Eventually the assignment s become more time inflexible, time consuming as pay goes to a per piece rate and then it's just not worth the trouble. You're basically price harvesting in grocery stores, CVS, Walgreens, Walmart and getting paid less than the lowest paid store employees to be there for hours at a time. If you're easily bored or numbers give you a headache, just work retail and get some benefits and opportunity for advancement.
Pros
Work alone, various locations
Cons
Low pay, constant communication from supervisors via phone and email, low tech equipment, low mileage comp., rude corporate communication
Data Collector/Inventory Control (Former Employee) –  NevadaNovember 9, 2015
I worked alone. I got to travel.I Learned about grocery.There was not any coworkers. The job was easy. I was independant and n my ownI liked being own.
Flexible work environment
Corporate Trainer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 3, 2015
Management was very helpful and the corporate office cared about their employees. As a trainer for them, I would travel and they had a well organized system in place to do so. I loved this job!
Pros
Flexible
Cons
It was a contract job
Ok company to work for if just need extra income
Data Collection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 27, 2015
Supervisor was very understanding of issues with the handheld instrument and the continuous problems that they were having. She was very thankful that I hung in there until the problems were worked out.
Pros
Work the hours you want
Cons
Tedious and boring
Flexible and competitive, repetitious but with great pay
Data Collector (Current Employee) –  Sherman,TXMay 19, 2015
I show up to work on my own time, greet a few store workers, and proceed to collect data for the company.

Before RetailData, I was average with 10-key. I'm not sure what my kph is, but I'm often complimented when customers happen to see me.

My coworkers are very helpful, when needed. For the most part, I work alone and manage my time to ensure the project is finished within the allotted time.

The hardest part of the job is doing the same thing all the time. Saying that, it's also the easiest. I know exactly how long projects are going to take and can manage myself.
Pros
Flexibility, break when you want, travel expense, minimal supervision
Cons
Healthcare
Nothing but Praise
Field Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 4, 2015
Retail Data was a life saver. They gave me an opportunity in a job market flooded with potential employees. I was excited when I got the job and still enjoy working for them a year later.

The work can be a little monotonous, but the flexibility of hours is beyond comparison. I get to travel all over the Portland/Vancouver metro area and work at different locations. While retail stores may all look the same inside, at least the route to work is not always the same.

Management has been great overall, they listen when you have concerns, and seem genuinely interested in the well-being of their employees. I even was granted time off within a few months of working.

This part-time job will be an experience I won't soon forget. I hope to keep working for Retail Data for some time. At least until I find a Full-Time replacement.
Pros
Travel, Flexible Hours, Management
Cons
Piece Rate Pay
Price Check and Clean up
Data Collector (Former Employee) –  Eureka, CAMarch 23, 2015
This job started really fun, then the novelty wore off quickly. As a data collector, you're sent a scan gun and assigned to a list of products the UPC's need scanned and the prices accurately submitted. After the list is completed, they are transmitted to the corporate office. This job was cool because, there was always work to be done and the work was easy enough. My co-worker became my manager so there was advancement opportunity. The hardest part of the job would have been the mundane nature overall. the numbers get to you after a while. I enjoyed being able to work under my own accord and design my own schedule.
Pros
flexible hours, decent pay
Cons
mentally exhausting work.
Flexible if you can travel and work on short notice
Data Collector (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 31, 2015
Traveling to jobs and collecting prices as requested by clients. Some jobs are more physically demanding then others. Nice to have flexible schedule but some weeks are super busy the then next you may not have any jobs so it's hard to budget. You rarely see co-workers.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
not enough consistency
Job Outlook
Data Collector (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 28, 2015
Jobs come in haphazardly, leaving little time to plan ahead to do your collections.

Management tends to stick together regardless of evidence indicating that supervisor, not collector made mistakes.

Supervision comes in waves and is either via email or phone.
Cons
low pay, frustrated supervisors take it out on collectors below them.
Odd hours and minimal room for progression
Pricing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 29, 2014
From 4am-1pm I analyzed data and submitted my info by whatever my deadline was. The people I worked with were friendly, but I wasn't a fan of the hours. I definitely learned how to thoroughly analyze, correct, and submit data in a timely fashion.
Pros
free fruit, nice people, hours (if you like waking up extremely early, or working late)
Cons
hours (if you hate waking up anywhere from 3am-6am), barely room for advancement
Productive and great Co-Workers
Pricing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 9, 2014
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this company. I was there a short period of time but the enviroment was so friendly and organized it felt more like a family. Everybody got to know everyone, they had company picnics and different events outside of work. It was great i would love to go back!!
fun place to work
Data Collector (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 4, 2014
hours are good but the pay and benefits are too low. This was my second job.
Pros
you make you own hours
Cons
pay, benefits
Challenge and exiciting
Field Rep (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 4, 2014
A typical day at work was spent driving all hours and meeting lots of new people. The hardest part of the job was not knowing month to month if there was enough work
Pros
constant on the go
Cons
being out of town too much
Great concept but needs improvement
Retail Data Collection (Former Employee) –  Orange Park, FLMarch 3, 2014
Pros:

Ability to set your own schedule within a broader schedule. For example, you have two weeks to get this shop done, but it can be done anytime during that window.

Learning brands and pricing trends

I enjoyed visiting different stores (mostly grocery) and learning their layouts, and meeting the employees.

Cons:

Piece Rate!

During training, I had good pay at a flat rate, because of course, my scanning skills were not up to par with the company average. At the end of my probationary period, I had improved greatly, but no matter how hard I tried, I could not get past 60% or 70% (compared to averages from other scanners) scanning speed. Knowing that my pay would convert to piece rate, I asked my manager for help, but did not receive any constructive feedback as to how to improve my speed.

So basically, it's a great job while you're training, but once you go to piece rate, you are working twice as hard for half the pay, no matter what algebraic formulas they try to use to explain it.

I will say that corporate was quick to respond to any equipment/program questions I had, and the people I spoke with were always friendly and helpful. And my manager was nice, just very busy and probably overworked.

I think if there was a way for all of the data collectors to 'meet' (via forum perhaps?) and compare notes/share tips, etc., that there would be more of a feeling of camaraderie and loyalty, and newer data collectors could learn how the more established ones are able to get such high scan percentages. Also, perhaps District Managers should be given assistants to help field emails/phone
  more... calls, etc.

It was an interesting job, and I'm glad I had the chance to do it. Learning so many brands and pricing trends has really improved my couponing/grocery shopping skills, lol!
busy when work is to be done
Auditor/Data collector (Current Employee) –  orlando, flJuly 10, 2013
great company to work with for someone who needs something to do on their spare time.
Pros
good pay for some jobs
Cons
low hours, low paying jobs, inconsistant schedule
Great company to work for
Data Collector (Current Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJune 13, 2013
I love the fact that I set my own hours; most enjoyable part of the job is I get paid to go to the store; I can pick up my groceries as I work!
Pros
flexible schedule
Field Representative/Auditor (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAMay 16, 2013
The company is very friendly and my District Manager was very receptive and helpful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RetailData LLC. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7