Revolution Prep Employee Reviews

fun work place, but there is no efficient management.
Shipping Manager/ Academic Adviser (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAFebruary 25, 2015
Great work place to see co-worker, but thats it. Heads of departments tend to keep important info from their team. Also, constant changes that are not benefiting the company or workers. One word that describes the whole company is "shady".
Wonderful people to work with, learned a lot
HR (Current Employee) –  Santa MonicaJuly 24, 2014
Wonderful people to work with, learned a lot and would stay if my husband was not relocating.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Sales has highs and low
n/a
Branch Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaFebruary 8, 2014
Nice having own schedule, loved the teaching aspect rather than the sales aspect
Flexible and effective teaching, management a bit confused
Course Instructor and Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 16, 2013
The hourly pay is good and the work is enjoyable on a flexible schedule, but this is a sideline job - not full-time employment regardless of what management claims. Speaking of which, Revolution's recent reorganization dissolved the old Regional Manager position and has replaced it with a bizarre system in which instructors are regularly contacted directly by a number of individuals in the organization who don't always know what the others are doing. The result has been less than successful and has resulted in some pretty noticeable failures with regards to scheduling, job assignments, etc. In addition the old system by which hourly raises were earned automatically by high-performing instructors appears to have been replaced with an annual "application" which appears to be both much less transparent and much less likely to actually result in a pay increase.
Pros
Good curriculum, good values, good hourly pay
Cons
Management efficiency has gone downhill recently, no benefits
Decent place
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJMarch 31, 2013
The company itself was pretty cool. As an intern, the compensation was completely dependent on how much you earned from teaching a class and so it was hard to make a lot. There also wasn't much hands on guidance which made things hard. Overall, it was an average job.
Pros
lots of useful info
Cons
not enough guidance
Extremely underpaid employees
Part Time Employee (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 25, 2013
Revolution Prep commits a serious injustice by charging (for online tutoring) its customers up to $110 an hour, and only paying the tutors $17.50 an hour.

Further, the *actual* pay rate is far less than $17.50/hour, since Rev Prep requires that all of its tutors do all of the following on their own (unpaid) time: Become experts in Rev Prep's curriculum, prepare for each session and come at least 15 minutes early, enter extensive notes on each session in their online system, be constantly available via email/phone to the Rev Prep company, to students, and to students' parents, and more.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
see the review body
Exciting place to work and advance the lives of students
Ambassador/ACT Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 17, 2012
I have spent the past 3 years working for Revolution Prep, an ACT tutoring company, and in that time have developed several skills useful in advising students on their collegiate decisions. Each year, we host dozens of informational events at schools during which I am responsible for making hour long presentations, then answering any questions regarding the ACT and college admissions process for parents and students. However, my interactions with parents do not end at these events as I take pride in my role cultivating these short events into enduring relationships.

Teaching ACT classes has also been particularly rewarding as it opens the world of higher education to students who may otherwise not have been able to access it.
Pros
rewarding work environment, different challenges each day, opportunity to positively impact lives
Great place to be a young professional
Sales Manager and Lead Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAAugust 15, 2012
Great place. Revolution is a dynamic place that gives young people a chance to step up and display their skills.
Company Treats Employees Poorly, Lacks Vision, Misrepresents Growth Opportunities
Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJuly 2, 2012
Cofounders and senior leadership lack vision and are poor managers -- goals are communicated poorly, and then often shift just a few weeks or months after being implemented.

They advertise themselves as a very "entrepreneurial" company that is fast paced and fun, when in reality, they are a burn out machine full of politics and scheming.

They tell you that they have a social mission, and are out to transform education, but in reality, management most often talks about getting the most out of their school partners and internally, they blame lack of sales, etc on "bad" or "lazy" teachers and demean their educational partners.
Pros
lots of talented recruits
Cons
poor compensation, no growth opportunities (though they tell you otherwise), very high turnover rates
Revolution Prep ask your work area and provided very little work in your area. Most time there was no work in the area.
Test Proctor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 5, 2012
I felt I was hired just in case they were to assignments in my area but was not informed of this.
Cons
no work available
Disorganized and Lack of vision
Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMay 17, 2012
The cofounders decide new ventures on a whim, and demand perfect products without providing sufficient means (time, money, staff) to deliver. Additionally, they change their mind at the drop of a hat, wasting valuable time and resources. When presented with hard facts that a project is not worth pursuing, they turn a blind eye, then blame the failure on their staff.
Every day is different.
ACT Math/Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 2, 2012
As a contracted teacher, I travel to multiple schools during the week. Normally, regularly scheduled classes are postponed for a few months so that an ACT teacher can come in and give instruction. If classes aren't postponed I will teach in the evening. I teach Math and Science. I make my own lesson plans based on assessments of the students. I do not have colleagues that I work with side by side and my supervisor I've met once, briefly. We send emails when necessary. As for the teachers at the schools, they are very helpful. I've learned a couple things about classroom management. I am teaching at mainly urban schools and having complete control and the respect of my students is a must. The hardest part of the job would be learning all of the students' names. Since I have quite a few students and only a few months with each class, it can be a bit of a challenge to remember their names. The most enjoyable part of this job is when the students learn. I hear "ohhh" and "I get it" throughout my sessions, which makes me proud and happy. I love to know that the students are learning and paying attention.
Pros
great learning experience
Cons
temporary position
Good Intentions, Poor Execution
. (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAMarch 29, 2012
Revolution Prep travels at a thousand miles an hour, changes directions constantly, never plans ahead, and expects employees to stay ahead of it's circuitous path. It makes big plans, spends a ton of money and its employee's time, working on projects that are scrapped on a whim. If you are flexible and do not require a stable work environment this may be the place for you.
Pros
young, intelligent co-workers
Cons
terrible management, no communication, no foresight, bonuses promised and never paid, extremely high turnover rate, amorphous job expectations.
Fun and welcoming atmosphere, but a risky start-up
Content Developer (Former Employee) –  Santa MonicaMarch 1, 2012
Working for Revolution Prep is a pleasure in that the work environment is very low-key and full of smart, determined people. However, the company is still young and hasn't found the balance yet between the work force it needs to keep in its employ and the goals it has set out to achieve.