Rhode Island College Employee Reviews

3-3 course load
Associate Professor (tenured) (Current Employee) –  Providence, RINovember 20, 2017
Distant administration out of touch with needs of faculty and students.

Not a very collegial group of faculty

So many "interim" administrators leads to a lack of consistency, continuity, and overall vision, direction, and responsibility.
Nice place to work
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 10, 2017
lots of pleasant people to work with and is a place in which can grow your knowledge in many ways. People here are very friendly and helpful over all is a very fun place to work
Excellent Work Environment for a Student
Videographer (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 14, 2017
I worked as part of SA Marketing, which is a division in the Student Union department. Work was engaging, with a good work flow, and coworkers were friendly, and I got to know several of them well. Management was well organized, but could be somewhat micromanagement focused to the point of mild annoyance.
Pros
good experience, nice people, excellent for a student at the school
Cons
unpaid lunch, minimum wage pay, overbearing managers
Lab work
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 9, 2017
I set up the labs for one of the intro level biology class that I just took as a student about one year ago. I apply for this job to get some valuable experience working in a lab setting, and I am learning alot on the job.
Pros
Stay active with education over the summer
Cons
not alot of hours
Student non-workstudy job that involved my focus in art
Dark Room Monitor (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 8, 2017
This job doesn't really apply to the others on this list as it was an occupation for photography students attending Rhode Island College. That being said it was an excellent way to get hands on with my art concentration and help others to learn while getting paid. Hours were few, only 2 hours 2 days a week (can vary depending on how many monitors are hired) and pay was only 9.50$ but it did afford me art supplies/books for each semester. Definitely worth it and I'm going to miss it dearly!
Pros
You get to splash around in photochemistry! (...do not splash around in photochemistry)
Cons
Not a lot of hours, lowish pay.
Was worth every minute there.
Student (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 17, 2017
I was hired as the Men's Assistant Basketball Coach while I was a full time student and working as a Correctional Officer at the ACI. Many hours and challenges before achieving my Bachelors degree.
Pros
Worth the journey.
Cons
Student loans.
Great School to work for overall
RESIDENT ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 16, 2017
The hours are great for this job and it gives me an opportunity as a student to work as well as get involved in campus. The management is exceptional and the staff is incredibly friendly.
Pros
free room and board, getting more involved
Cons
late hours
Experience
Admissions Assistant, Admissions Office (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 23, 2017
I loved the people I worked with. Everyone was always willing to help and encouraged questions. This was a part time job on campus, as I went to school full time.
Great Place
REVAMP Worker (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIFebruary 25, 2017
Was a great time working there. Staff was professional and helpful. I was a student when I worked there so not much room for advancement in my positions but overall was a great time.
Enjoyable
Senior Word Processing Typist (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 31, 2017
Job Descriptions have not been updated in at least fifty years. Union Job means job security, but amendments to job descriptions are rampant instead of offering compensation / advancement. No uniformity between same titled positions
Great Review
Undergraduate Tutor (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIDecember 2, 2016
A typical day consisted of tutoring 2-3 students per session on introductory and intermediary finance and econ classes, helping with homework and test prep.
Pros
Helped solidify my knowledge base in classes.
Cons
Students were expecting me to do the work for them.
Flexible
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 15, 2016
They understand that there is a balance between school and work. While working for professors they understand that they need to be flexible! Amazing staff!
Excellent school !
Navigator (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 31, 2016
I had the chance to learn as a graduate student at Rhode Island College. In addition, working as a Navigator and a graduate assistant enhanced my perspective about how to provide support for diverse student population.
Active day with constant projects being worked on.
Athletic Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 30, 2016
It was an enjoyable job. Was able to work in athletics which is one of my desired career paths. Loved meeting and networking with people around the campus as well as from other colleges and universities.
Writing Center Tutor
Tutor, Writing Center (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 4, 2016
I really enjoy working at the Writing Center! It is a great opportunity for a student. I enjoy the laid back environment, the sense of community, and helping students to feel more confident in their writing. I enjoy having the chance to use my skills as an English major in a job and working directly with clients. The staff are very nice here.
Stepping stone
Student Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIFebruary 14, 2016
Very convenient type of job and great for networking. Work very closely with other students and other faculty members.
Fun and flexible experience
Front-Desk Clerk-Payroll Office (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIFebruary 8, 2016
Typically, work starts with checking to see if there are any folders to be filed or made for student employment. If not, I sit at the front desk and take phone calls, enter information into the computer, and answer any basic payroll and direct deposit questions employees have. I am also in charge of handing out paychecks. Management is well done with a main supervisor and three other workers. I also work with two other student workers. There is no tough part of the job because I am a fast learner, so as long as something is explained well, I can do it. The most enjoyable part of the job is answering questions and assisting student employees set up direct deposit.
Pros
Long breaks, lax environment, friendly co-workers, flexible hours
Interviews
it support (Former Employee) –  Providence, RINovember 6, 2015
any interview with the state if you don't know anyone that can help you get the job you are not in, you wont get the job they strong you along and never let you know, if you got the job or not...
this state is a JOKE..I know a guy state..pretty sad.
Great For New IT/CS Students
User Support Services Troubleshooter (Current Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 13, 2015
I've learned a lot on the job here beyond just what I've learned in CS. Customer Service is something you learn with time and working at the helpdesk at RIC allowed me to gain that kind of experience alongside receiving my education as a programmer. I feel much more versatile after working here.
Great experience
NEWS WRITER at The Anchor (Former Employee) –  Rhode IslandAugust 19, 2015
Rhode Island College was my first experience working as a journalist in US.
I was the first ESL student to become part of the newspaper team, which for me it was a great achievement.