Rhode Island Hospital Employee Reviews

Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 12, 2017
Management was poor would ask for something to be done. And would say they will get back to you and leave you hanging in the dust. Management had preference in employees they will set you up for failure. The patients are great and the other employees in the facility are awesome too but beware of the gossip in the department.
Pros
Patient
Cons
Management / supervisor
Would not recommend employment here
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 8, 2017
Poor management of the units. Lack of supplies and equipment. Understaffed, weak union. Very selfish CEO. No more matching for retirement. Broken equipment that does not get replaced.
Pros
Team work among nurses for the most part
Cons
poor pay, expensive healthcare, cafeteria way over priced with no employee discounts
Friendly staff and work environment
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 4, 2017
diverse crowd social able people that's eager to learn something new you make your own schedule and for the most part everything base on seniority so brand new hires get the worst task usually but overall everything fair ill say second shift the worst part of the job do to the fact patients are the most active and can be most aggressive during that hour
What being a CNA is like.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 4, 2017
A typical night at work is always interesting, its is always different and sometimes very challenging it important to remember that we are doing this to help someone, to help them feel a little better, and doing just that is very rewarding..
Pros
meet some really awesome people
Cons
meeting some not so awesome people
Very good teaching hospital
Nurse Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 25, 2017
I held many different staff nurse positions at Rhode island Hospital . I was always treated as a professional, valued for my commitment to excellence in nursing and customer service.
Lifespan is overrated
Certified Nursing Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 25, 2017
I've been a CNA for 4 years and get paid $15/hr. I know others that have been hired fresh out of cna school/been there for 3 years and get paid the same rate. Doesn't matter on experience every CNA starts at $15/hr. I applied to get my foot in the door since I already have a bachelors in HCA and have been told /realized it's hard to advance within lifespan unless you're an RN. For IBT union employees (cnas, secretaries, unit assistants & etc.) time off must be requested 6 months in advanced and it's not guaranteed unless you have high seniority. Double time is giving when doubles are worked, but doubles are given/granted to those with high seniority. I've only been there for about a year which is nothing compared to the majority of the people there that have been working at the hospital for 6-20 years. So time off and double time is a once in a blue moon thing for me. The benefits suck for those that were employeed for under 36 hours. Lifespan also doesn't try to hire anymore 36+ hour employees to avoid paying out the majority of the employee benefits. Those under 36 hours pay almost double for benefits and barely get all of the services the 36+ hour employees do. If you intend on being a nurse or a cna/secretary/unit assistant forever I would recommend the hospital. Otherwise avoid this place!
Pros
Double time for doubles worked
Cons
Underpaid, Hard to get time off (IBT union), terrible benefits, rare to advance
do not get hired as per diem
per diem (Current Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 22, 2017
good place to work if you get hired full or part time. Not worth it being per diem unless you get benefits and have another job, otherwise, you will be stuck working 40+ hours with no sick time, vacation, or benefits
Understaffed, poor management, terrible benefits, weak union.
Staff RN-Part Time-CCU (Current Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 9, 2017
Very busy understaffed unit with poor support from management. Weak union and under compensation. Staff RNs very support and excellent to work with. Patient population incredible. Challenging and rewarding unit from nursing care prospective.
Excellent
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 6, 2017
This hospital has a very family feel to it not matter what department you work for. the culture is very organized and supportive, and th management is very kind
Appreciated my employment
OR control clerk (Former Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 6, 2017
Loved the job! The variance in change was amazing! Close to home the problem was that I was a new employee and I was also expecting my second child. Worth the experience I got though
large city hospital and plenty of learning opps
registered nurse (Former Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 1, 2017
Large city hospital with many opportunities to work in the field you are interested in Nurse patient ratio varies but depending on the unit it can vary from 2-3 patients per RN in ICU units to 5 to 7 patients to each RN on general units. Very busy but many nursing experiences to be had.
Pros
extensive experience/learning opportunities
Cons
management is all about the patient and their families
R I hospital
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 22, 2017
Great place to work.Top notch for care. Not flexable for time. Life / work balance. This was the best job I ever had. Pay was right up there .Competitive
Pros
Good pay and work conditions
Cons
Poor work life balance
great opportunity
Data entry (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 18, 2017
the workplace is very competitive. I believe this gives the opportunity to prove your work skills to management so that one is able to move to a higher position
Running in place
Scheduling Secretary (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIAugust 10, 2017
Working for Rhode Island hospital and feeling like I'm running in place. No advancements, they do not give you anything back, anything you have accrued or have is something you've worked for or put into. Insurance plans, raises, sick time takes a dive since I started 9 years ago. Nothing gets better, only worse
Poor management practices
Sous Chef / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Main BuildingAugust 10, 2017
Its all about who you know, if after years and years of outstanding reviews and accolades brought to the department you rub someone the wrong way your done.
Benefits
Cons
good
Patient Services Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 25, 2017
Its a great place, I'm a volunteer there. I would apply there. I don't get paid, but its fun. People tend to be friendly. There seems to be less pressure.
Great environment, poor prospects
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 24, 2017
If you want to do work that matters with people who are wonderful, this place is for you. If you want to advance in your career or be compensated at market value, this is not the place for you.
Pros
reasonable workloads, established protocols, great coworkers
Cons
poor understanding of what diversity is for, middle managers are not trained for leadership
Flexible and patient centered caring environment
NSA (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 18, 2017
Great place to work for. Excellent work environment with a focus on the patients. Community feeling through out the hospital. Management is very flexible and works with you to achieve a work/life balance.
Great helathcare system
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 28, 2017
I enjoyed my time working at Rhode Island Hospital. I worked there as a loyal employee for 14 years. Many management changes over the years, and changes in the hospital as a whole.
Great Place To Work
Administrative Secretary to VP (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 26, 2017
great place to work, co-workers are talented and professional Senior management really cares about patients and employees. good work life balance. Exciting opportunities.