Rice University Employee Reviews

Easy and Fun
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 10, 2017
Very relaxed, fun, calm. I work at the Rec center at rice university. I am at the information desk. It gets pretty boring most of the time because there's nothing to do and we can't be on our phones for obvious reasons.
Very flexible work hours. Accommodating if you're in school.
Assistant to Senior Operations Manager/ Cook1 (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 14, 2017
If you're willing to learn more and expand yourself you will be trained in more areas. Teamwork, is very important. Communication with your boss and fellow coworkers will lead to productive days.
Pros
Free lunch
Fun workplace with kids
ASSISTANT COACH, Summer Camps (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 11, 2017
• Rice University Soccer Camp Assistant Coach
• Responsibilities included: Demonstrating various techniques and skill sets to kids of all playing levels. Rice University is the premier youth and young adult camp in Houston.
• Responsible for developing a daily plan to maximize potential of kids while maintaining a fun environment.
• Work with groups of 30 kids ranging from elementary age to high school.
Great university and wonderful students to teach!
Teacher/Adjunct (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 7, 2017
I have absolutely love teaching at Rice University. It's very rewarding to be a part of the team. The students are engaged and put a lot of effort into the courses.
Pros
the students and culture
Cons
a bit low on the compensation payscale
Productive work place
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 21, 2017
Very nice place to work at people very nice good benefits and opportunities but pay is very poor very little pay for hard work wish they paid a little better
Pros
Free lumch
A good place to work
Salad Chef (Former Employee) –  HoustonFebruary 12, 2017
I'm was looking for a school to work and I got much more I a family and a learning environment and a understanding group of people that was wiling to teach me
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 7, 2017
This is a great place to work and they are really understanding and flexible. The only downfall is advancement and of course pay since it is a Higher Ed institute.
Productive and fun workplace
Accreditation Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 6, 2017
Rice is a comprehensive research university that fosters diversity and boasts unique traditions of creativity and intellectual environments. Rice University is known as the Ivy League of the south.
Fun environment to work in. Every one is extremely nice and helpful!
Athletic Events Assistant Intern (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 1, 2017
A typical work day is coming in for office hours where I schedule practice times with other teams and help around the facilities throughout the day.

On Game days we usually get there 3 hours prior to game time and set up everything that needs to be set up in order for the game to run properly.
Great way to gain post graduate experience
Assistant Athletic Trainer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 24, 2017
Good staff, great benefits, working with the athletic treams is what I enjoy the most. Working football requires a lot of traveling and time, but typical athletic training position
Great company to work for with good colleagues
Visa & Administration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 30, 2016
I worked at a number of different positions during my seven years at Rice. I found most of my colleagues to be intelligent, helpful and collaborative. It was nice working with the academic community. Benefits were decent but pay was low compared to similar jobs in other industries. The campus is beautiful and safe.
Work atmosphere
Researcher and Visiting Scholar (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 22, 2016
Very collaborative and a great place to learn and expand one's knowledge base. Located at the heart of Houston - it is one of the few schools that dictates the best possible jobs across all industries ranging from big management consulting firms to core engineering and sciences jobs.
Great school for graduate studies
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 18, 2016
Had the best time of my life in the department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. Developed expertise in Dynamics and Process Control and ended up teaching a course to senior engineers at the end of my PhD
I like working here
Clinical Studies Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 28, 2016
The people are great but the pay is lacking. The work can be interesting and the benefits are strong. Lots of opportunity to branch out and work with other departments. Free class per semester.
It's Rice University!!!
Contract Executive Assistant, Part-time (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 10, 2016
I work contract and assisted the Director of the Provost Office, where I focused on Rice Purchase Card reconciliations, file organization and management for the faculty where I handled documents such as CV's, sabbatical leaves and faculty promotions; worked closely with the Dean's of the different schools/departments.
Pros
Exposure to Rice' events
Typical job, some perks
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 1, 2016
First off, I notice most of these wonderful reviews are written by students or student workers, not by regular employees. Honestly I'm not that impressed. The best thing about working here is probably the benefits, mainly the health insurance offers very good coverage. But, in my opinion it's pretty expensive, more expensive than average if you're covering more than just yourself.

The work environment itself in non-campus office positions is extremely dull and boring. You're typically glued to your desk and the offices are set up in a very isolated manner, to the point it gets depressing. You may meet a lot of nice people here, but there are also a lot of people that are in lower positions that are stuck up and on their "high horse" because they think working for Rice is such a big deal, even though they're actually at the bottom of the barrel in the lowest positions. My experience has been that the people higher up are actually the nicer people.

Time off is ok, but they're very strict about how much time you can use and when and also you're expected to take NO time off for the first 6 months except for University holidays. In most departments you'll get 1 week off in December for a holiday break (but some departments work through the break) and 3 weeks of PTO (vacation, sick, etc all included as one). Even though this sounds good, the time can run out quickly because many holidays that other schools and colleges are closed, Rice is not. You don't get Good Friday, President's day, or even Christmas Eve and there's no spring break for staff. So if you want those days off,
  more... you'll have to use your PTO, which will take almost a week of your time away just on holidays.

Traffic in this area is horrific. I live about 15 miles away and it takes about 45 mins to 1 hour to get there in the morning and 1 hour - 1 and 1/2 hours to get home in the evening. If there's an accident, close to 2 hours. They frown upon working from home and flexible schedules even if your job is not people oriented. So, there's no option of working from home.

My biggest gripe is that the work is SO boring and slow paced and dealing with the attitudes of some of management that don't communicate with each other, then take it out on the employees and try to blame us when something goes wrong. Overall if I could go back (I had 2 jobs offers when I took this job) I'd have taken the other job I was offered).
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Long commute, boring work environment, slow paced dull work
Acheiving Goals at work
Project Coordinator - Office of Technology (Former Employee) –  Houston Zoo, TXJune 10, 2016
I like to start the day off by letting the team know or finding out for myself what are the priorities of the day. We generally work together to accomplish goals. I am a leader, yet, I also know how to join the team and work together.
Pros
Free Breakfast and lunch
Cons
short breaks
Very calm and laid back for the summer months.
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 19, 2016
Go in and log onto your computer and check you emails respond to them and help customers.
I excelled in my customer service skills.
Management were great and flexible.
Outgoing and nice.
Being asked to work 4 extra before going home but was done.
Working in such a prestigious University.
Pros
Eating food from the culinary school at Rice University.
Cons
Seeing good co workers leave the job.
Good place to do research
Postdoctoral Research Assoc. (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 15, 2016
Very good university, very good environment. The professors are all friendly, and you will learn much from them. Strongly recommend it.
Productive research based university
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 26, 2016
Fun research environment, beautiful campus, good salary, good location, vast parking lots, awful health services, good recreational center, good nanofabrication facilities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rice University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5