Rice University Employee Reviews in United States

Awesome community
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 18, 2016
A typical day was hard work and getting the job done. Enjoyed working with undergraduate and graduate students to assist them in adding and/or dropping classes. Enjoyed assisting faculty with events and conferences. For the employee were always encouraged to take classes to learn new systems. The hardest part of the job was making the student aware that the Examinations and Standing committee denied their case.
Pros
Events to attend on campus to benefit the staff.
Cons
Paying for parking
Student worker, very flexible
LAB ASSISTANT at OSHMAN ENGINEERING DESIGN KITCHEN (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 18, 2016
As a student, working a job on campus has many benefits, and work is very flexible if you have test or something. Your job depends on your positions, and can be anything from managing a library to filing papers or staring at a computer.
Good place for Research
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Department of Computer ScienceMarch 27, 2016
This work is a research based work.
I have learned different aspects in robotics and artificial intelligence..

The most challenging part is implementing algorithms on real robotic system.

I enjoyed building intelligent systems and working with robots
Ivy League level school in Texas
Graduate Student researcher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 16, 2016
If you love outstanding scientific research, Rice University is the perfect place. The city of Houston is great and the campus is just minutes away from its cultural district. The library is the best I've ever been to. The laboratories are amazing!
A place for you to meet people from all over the world.
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 12, 2016
Rice University is an awesome place to work. I have enjoyed my years of service here but am ready learn other work environments which will enhance my skills and challenge my experience.
Productive research based university
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 26, 2016
Fun research environment, beautiful campus, good salary, good location, vast parking lots, awful health services, good recreational center, good nanofabrication facilities.
Nice platform for pursuing career in Academia
Lab technician at Bioscience Department (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 9, 2016
Nice platform for pursuing career in Academia. Exceptional institute for higher education. Relative small number of students so the faculty:student ratio is high.
The first step before deciding what exactly to do in the career
Lab technician at Bioscience Department (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 2, 2015
Lots of academic activities to participate. The school is beautiful and the students work very hard. It's a good place to both build up the connection ties between you and lots of clever people and learn what you want to learn for your future career.
Good place to do research
Postdoctoral Research Assoc. (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 15, 2016
Very good university, very good environment. The professors are all friendly, and you will learn much from them. Strongly recommend it.
Loved working for the recreation center
Outdoor Trips Programming Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 3, 2016
Everything from the facility conditions to the managers on staff was incredible. All of my coworkers enjoyed their jobs as well.
Good place to work undergrad
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 6, 2016
I work in a research lab. The work is good, resources are top of the line, and people are always helpful. I would recommend it.
Good Place to Work
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 30, 2015
• Researched into a non-contact strain measurement method to replace strain gauges for structural monitoring.
• Collected, analyzed and reported data on possible linear trends between carbon nanotube peak emission spectrum and the strain measurements of testing members.
The Right Management
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 17, 2015
With the right management, this is a great place to work. Some departments are more professional than others. When you find a great fit, it makes you want to stay for the long haul.
Pros
Free stuff, open and friendly campus, tight knit community
Cons
certain management
nice place to work
research scientist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 2, 2015
it is a place where you see employee smile, which i had found it to be so precious based on my past experience. people are doing hard work, but not so stressful and miserable at the same time
Rice University
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 8, 2015
Overall it is a very good place to work. I have found that most everyone on campus is incredibly supportive, no matter what department they are in. I have never called someone for help and been told they did not have the time for me. I have learned that we are all in this as a team. My co-workers are wonderful, caring and talented individuals, who again see the department as a team and not as a group of individuals.

What I find difficult about the job is the lack of advancement. The job is, what the job is, no matter how good you may be at it, you will never be awarded with a raise or a promotion. You must leave where you are happy and comfortable in order to secure more money and a promotion of any sort.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the access to all forms educational lectures, visiting artists and performers. We have an incredible window to the world within our hedges!
Pros
Access to lectures, art and music
Cons
Lack of promotions and lack of flexibility in vacations
Fantastic University
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 5, 2015
Rice University is a top tier private university with excellent research and academic programs. Rice is a great place to work and fosters a wonderful community.
Values Intellectual Contributions
Lead Research Administrator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 16, 2015
Rice prides itself on hiring the best and brightest. That being said, there is a pouring out of critical thinking and innovative ideas at Rice. Although the work can be demanding, it also challenges one to do his/her best - resulting in a sense of satisfaction from both the employee and supervisor.
Pros
Exciting place to work
Cons
Because it is small, advancement opportunites are limited
Productive and comfortable campus
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 28, 2015
The faculty and staff there are very nice. We all enjoy the working and studying atmosphere there. The life is easy and we do not have too much pressure.
Good place to work.
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 8, 2015
Nice place to work, good work/life balance. Good pay, nice management. Good place to work up the ladder and move up; don't always need an advanced degree either.
productive and fun place with a homy environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 7, 2015
9am to 5pm every weekday work
have learned numerous useful tools for my future financial career , such as algorithms, programming languages, strategic thinking, etc.

4.5