Rice University Employee Reviews

Rice U
Earth Science Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 1, 2018
i worked for the earth science department as a staff assistant. I aided the facilities supervisor with day to day tasks and facilitated the faculty and staff with whatever they needed help with.
Relaxed work environment
Licensed Irrigation Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 11, 2017
Relaxed work environment. good benefits. paid holidays. good facility. well maintained grounds. decent equipment. decent management. a good work ethic.
Awesome place to intern
Nanotechnology Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 27, 2017
Interned at Rice University for two summers learned so much through doing research. Also, had many opportunities to grow as an undergraduate through seminars.
Pros
Friday lunches and relaxed work environment
Great place to work with a few caveats
Director of Campus Services (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 15, 2017
Really enjoyed my time at Rice. The people are great. Workplace has changed significantly in the last 3 years. Most notable, work/life balance has all but disappeared. IT leader is very forward thinking but it feels as if we are bulling forward with an unrelenting workload and no prioritization of work. I hate leaving Rice...I really have enjoyed my time here, but my boss and I seem to be on different wavelengths. Tried many different communication styles but I can't seem to maintain an open dialogue. Most of the faculty are easy to work with but there are quite a few who can be tough to support. Communication is the key and I feel like my ability to adjust my communication styles overcomes that hurdle.
Pros
403B, Medical benefits, Nice atmosphere (squirrels and trees), Christmas Break
Cons
Extremely liberal leaning environment. If you are a conservative, keep it to yourself.
Productive, great environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 14, 2017
great coworkers, amazing manager, very nice environment. very laid back not too stressful. fair pay, reasonable lunch break, reasonable amount of work per day/ week
Professor is nice
Microeconomics Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 6, 2017
As a teaching assistant for the first time, the professor was very helpful. Professor James Brown is very patient, kind and friendly. The working hour is very reasonable.
I was getting a phd
Doctoral Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 2, 2017
they don't pay phds well anywhere. It really doesn't matter where you go. I got a great degree.. I worked all the time. It is the same no matter what school you go to.
Pros
degree
Cons
work
Great opportunity to work while in school
Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 29, 2017
Not only is Rice University an incredible home of higher learning, but working there is great as well. Everyone strives for excellence, and the opportunities to learn and grow are ever-present.
Pros
Flexible, challenging, good people
Cons
Stressful at times, Irregular hours based on the job
Staff Assistant - Rice University Football Office
Staff Assistant - Football Office (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 13, 2017
Working in the Rice University Football Office was exciting and challenging. Never before had I experienced the camaraderie I felt with the coaches, players and support staff. While some days could be quite stressful, the coaches were, genuinely, supportive and caring. I enjoyed being a "surrogate" mother to over one-hundred players every year. Many of them still keep in touch with me. As each game day grew closer, workloads increased and anticipation of the immenent kick-off grew stronger.

Had my husband's health not declined, I would not have retired at the end of April. I truly envy the young lady to replaced me.
Pros
Tickets to home and away games, travelled to the Hawaii Bowl, watching so many of our players now in the NFL, and working with our Lettermen.
Cons
Absolutely nont!
Great Food
K-12 Science Curriculum Contract Writer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 11, 2017
Great Place to work! Very concerned with student achievement. Big advocate of work-life balance. Room for advancement and growth. Professional developments helped.
A relaxed yet potent research environment
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 22, 2017
I've enjoyed my time at Rice immensely, as a graduate student and post-doc. Management is PI dependent, but there is a healthy workplace environment that has flexible hours for research staff and plenty of resources and equipment to ensure you have the tools to complete your projects.
Pros
Work environment, Matching 403b
Cons
Lack of advancement, but this more of a problem with academia in general, and not Rice University.
Student worker
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 1, 2017
I did work as a student at Rice. It was fairly typical work for a student. Set hours with your mentor in a lab, meet your hours, do weekly meetings, etc.
Pros
Freedom on hours
Cons
Slow progress
Program Coordinator
Administrative Assistant & Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 22, 2017
Poorly managed administration departments. Too many non-faculty employees with not enough to do. No one is strained to do their daily work. No real change to advance administratively.
Pros
Pays well.
Cons
Poor management -- not enough work to keep employees busy.
Good place for Graduate School
Graduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 21, 2017
The campus is very well set up for grad student life, and there are many departments that do top-notch research. Higher than average pay and very accessible staff and professors.
Rice is a good school
Lab Researcher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 10, 2017
Getting a position in a lab at Rice is very easy. You just have to reach out to the right people. The grad students are very flexible and PIs very nice.
fast pace a good place to work
Accounting Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 8, 2017
Rice allows you to work at your own pace but demand accuracy. I learned excel and Microsoft word functions, organization skills which I can use always. Management need more training. Rice is a diversified workforce that enhance the business performance and accept. Learning new procedures was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Very good place to work but management was not great
Assistant Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 8, 2017
I enjoyed working at Rice University. Great athletes and coaches to work with. Management was lacking in the athletic training room. Great experience with team physicians and allied health professionals. I learned a lot of skills while working here.
Pros
Learned advance skills
Great experience
HR Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 6, 2017
This was a great experience for me to work in such a great place. I enjoy the opportunities for growth that this place offered me. I enjoy learning and been able to take classes there too.
Pros
Great perks, lovely place.
Video Producer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 6, 2017
Rice creates an atmosphere of intelligence, hard work and co-workers are smart, driven and easy to get along with. The most enjoyable part of the job is thriving in a university atmosphere.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Marketing Intern
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 20, 2017
Interning at Rice University provided an in-depth look of how collegiate sports marketing works. Having worked a full school year (starting in the fall and ending in the spring), I learned how football games, basketball and baseball games operate from a marketing stand point. You pick up right off the bat that each event is scripted and reads like a play, because in sports marketing you've got to be prepared and on your toes. Management was very good, especially for helping new interns adapt to the workplace. The culture was very friendly, and if you're a hard worker and looking to enjoy yourself while doing it then you should have no problem fitting in. If you're a sports fan, arguably the most enjoyable part of the job will be being able to watch college sports in between tasks.