Rice University

Rice University Employee Reviews

Great but not as good as everybody like to say all the time
Research Scientist (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 2, 2015
As faculty/researcher it is a fantastic place to work because of the unique combination of quality and small size. This latter makes it easier to deal with the painful admistrative overhead that accompanies research (note that the actual overhead costs on grants are not as high as in many other places, but they still hurt).
Students are great, atmosphere is great, facilities are great, and I will add that Houston is great.

More than a "con" is an observation about what I felt is a mismatch between the talking and the "walking" for what concerns collegiality, loosely defined (probably the most used/abused word in every meeting/gathering/report). Everybody is quick and happy to fill his/her mouth with big self-congratulatory statements about collegiality, but in my experience the collegiality stops there.
It does not run very deep. That's been my experience. There is not a true spirit of being a "community", instead of just a cohabitation of researchers under the same roof. Dept. events (social, but also colloquia) tend to be poorly attended for instance, which I would consider a pretty genuine clue that people don't care that much about the rest or their department (and not just the divas).

Improvements have happened over time, slowly, but there is still a lot of room for improvement on faculty/instructors/postdoc mentoring. The older generation's faculty often seem to see it as a sign of weakness and there isn't yet a "culture" of the importance of mentoring and appreciation of its positive impact not just on mentees but on mentors themselves.
Seminar
Post Doctoral Research Associate (Former Employee), Houston, texasMarch 31, 2015
Pros: free lunch, seminar
Cons: short break, other potional development
I felt very comfortable to work at Rice! The environment, my supervisor my other friends.One of my lovely place was "The Library."When I entered in the library I felt I was in heaven. All of my surrounding people were so nice!
Still I have contacts with my professor, one of my very respectul person in my life!

I salute my Professor! I salute Rice university!
Nice, well run university
Post-doctoral research associate (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 11, 2015
Rice was a pleasure to work for. The benefits and compensation are nice (for a post-doctoral position), and the staff in the Physics department were helpful and responsive.
Great place to work!
DEPARTMENT COORDINATOR FACILITIES (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 9, 2015
Pros: a great learning experience
Cons: departmental funding
Loved my job in facilities and the group I was a blast to work for. Always busy, management is relaxed but their expectations are high. I learned a great deal about contracts and procurement.
Cashier
Cashier/ Kitchen (Former Employee), Houston, TXDecember 16, 2014
Work well with the public
Provide assistance to staff and students with their daily lunch and dinner menu.
Good school, but it has some miner issues
PhD candidate (Current Employee), Houston, TXOctober 23, 2014
Pros: beautiful campus
Cons: bad food. bad health plan. extra charges
bad food plans,

bad health services

extra charges,

$600 annually payment to heath center for doing nothin
An awesome place to learn and work
Graduate researcher (Current Employee), HoustonOctober 2, 2014
Rice University is a great place to learn and do research. Professors are very knowledgeable and helpful. Rice also has amazing resources, providing almost everything I need for my research.
Great Place to work
Educational Systems Developer (Current Employee), Houston, TXOctober 2, 2014
Pros: work life balance
An amazing place to meet some of the smartest people on the globe.
Great work life balance
Great place to study and do research
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee), Houston, TXOctober 1, 2014
Rice University has up to date research facilities and great collaborations to perform state of the art research.
Good workplace
Library Preservations Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 8, 2014
Rice is a good place to work with fair compensation and good work/life balance.
Small and excellent
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: everyone works hard
Cons: too small
A good place to learn. The students and professors here are really smart and helpful.
Good place to work as a researcher
Research Scientist (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 14, 2014
One of the more diverse universities in Texas. It was a great place to be a graduate student in biomedical engineering.
productive and busy work place
Custodian (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 27, 2014
Pros: job position is a set schedule
Cons: not many ours
my work place was always busy a typical day at work consist of a short break, back and forth walking. cleaning up mess and cleaning everywhere
Best
Custodian I (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 25, 2014
Pros: nice 401k
Cons: pay for parking.
I Like my job. I am a Custodian I . I been here three years in half.
Very fun, laid-back work environment.
Assistant Director, Communications and Operations (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 19, 2014
Pros: free lunches, outings
Working at Rice University was very fun and laid-back. The work place was one where you were freely able to express you creativity. All of the team members made an effort to create a very family-like work environment.
A nice campus and nice enviorment
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 3, 2014
The Rice University has a very nice campus. The resource is plentiful, nice staff, and an on campus bar.
Great school
PhD Student (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 21, 2014
The campus is really nice. Great working environment. Staffs are helpful.
Awesome, fun, I'm going to miss it
Office Assistant/ Receptionist/Research Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 20, 2014
I worked at the Center for Written Oral and Visual Communication for two years while in school and can say that it was one of the best experiences that I ever had with Rice. Very kind, understanding, and reasonable people.
Beautiful campus, great people
Reunion Programming and Special Events Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 21, 2014
Rice University Alumni Affairs Office was a great place to work. My supervisor and co-workers were all extremely nice and helpful. Working alongside my supervisor allowed me to learn the many facets of event planning from one of the best. The most enjoyable part of the job was working on such a beautiful campus, hosting outdoor and indoor events.
Learning laboratory for gifted minds
Assistant Director of Financial Aid (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 20, 2014
A typical day at Rice for me involved processing and analyzing federal tax information from clients, consulting with students and parents in groups or one-one-one, making financial aid presentations and creating or editing electronic and postal mail communication on behalf of our department.

I learned to use Banner operating systems and Hyperion while also gaining budget management and reconciliation skills. My co-workers were ethnically diverse, professional and experienced in several industries. The hardest part of the job was accepting that upward mobility would be limited. People loved working at Rice so much that they rarely left and I observed few promotions but several lateral transfers. The most enjoyable part of the job was making a tangible difference in lives everyday through the financial assistance tools available to me.

1 2 3

About Rice University

You have to be as wise as an owl to attend Rice University, and have really good SAT scores. Often referred to as the "Ivy League – Read more

Rice University Salaries