Richland School District One Employee Reviews

It's a very educational environment. Always a learning experience to be met. Very polite atmosphere
Custodial Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 14, 2016
Hard work always pays off. Discipline and respect by majority of the staff members. Reliable coworkers. A friendly attitude will promote a positive outcome
Pros
Enough break time to actually eat and enjoy lunuch
Cons
Sometimes getting off too late at night
I really love working for RCSD1, but since I don't have a degree in education, I haven't been able to receive no more money.
In School Suspension Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 27, 2017
On a typical day, I monitor the cafeteria for breakfast. After that I go to my mailbox and get the referrals that an administrator has left for me to pick-up for ISS. Once I get in my classroom they are handed a contract with the rules and regulations, which they have to read and sign.
I've learned that you need to have patience and be a compassionate and humble individual to succeed with students today. I try to manage my time effectively so I can most of my assignments completed.
The hardest part of my job is dealing with the instructors about their students. Some of them provide an assignment and some don't. It would be whole easier if the adults would comply to the rules as well as the students.
The most enjoyable part of my job is rewarding when I go back and ask the teacher about a student's behavior and when I receive an excellent report, that let me know that my positive character traits is effective.
Pros
Assessing a student's behavior.
Cons
Trying to learn why a student acts out.
I consider Richland School District One as a school district that care about it's students being prepared to succeed in life.
Paraprofessional/Therapeutic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 22, 2017
I experienced a variety of rewarding monents in my seventeen years. Due to the nature of my positions (Paraprofessional and Theraputic Assistant), I didn't have a typical day. As a Paraprofessional I assisted in developing behavioral and acedemic strategies for students with emotional disabilities. I was supervised by the school's Principal in assisting classroom teachers in mainstreaming the students assigned to me. I provided intervention as needed to deesculate disruptive behavior(s) of the students assigned to me. During this position I was under the supervision of four Principals at two different middle schools. In hind sight, the most difficult part of this position was advocating for the students; but that was always offset by the joy I got from successfully doing so.
As a Theraputic Assistant, I was assigned to schools throughout the district as part of a five member team that worked with children diagnoised with autism. My duties were similar to those I had as a Paraprofessional. The most difficult part of the position was not having enough time to follow through with ABA therapy that was initiated; but I did experience great joy when we were able to measure the accomplishments of the student.
Pros
Being able to see the progression of the students
Cons
Sometimes not having enough time to follow through with needed behavioral strategies.
Wonderful organization to work for.
Instructional Assistant LDS (Current Employee) –  Columbia SCMay 21, 2015
This is a very wonderful organization, they care for their employees and the work environment is very conducive. The management is on point. My colleagues were easy to work with and very selfless. The most enjoyable part is that i can make a difference everyday and there was no dull moment.
Pros
Summer off and flex pay, bonus every year
Cons
You dont want the time to end as it is very enjoyable
good job site good people faculty is a little un professional
custodian (Former Employee) –  ee taylorOctober 21, 2014
a typical day at work i clocked in i started my day i would interact wit the kids and teachers until the bell ring. i started my work i dumped trash and swept floors. i mopped and cleaned walls. after i went throughout all my rooms i would go and dust mop my hallway then damp mop it. management was really bad tho they were not about teamwork. i got along with all my coworkers i was a very liked person amongst my co workers. the hardest part about my job was cleaning up the real bad messes. the mos enjoyable part was seeing all the smiling faces
Pros
holidays off
Cons
short breaks
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 6, 2014
On Call

Responsible for students in classrooms, halls, cafeterias, and school yard, execute administration protocol and rules guiding students, educate and monitor students in the use and care of equipment and materials to prevent injuries and damage, establish rules for behavior for maintaining order among students, advise through lectures, discussions, and demonstrations in one or more subjects, such as English, mathematics, or social studies.

Didn't have a co worker

Job wasn't hard at all

Most enjoyable part about my job was I was able to go to college and work at the same time because of the job hours.
Pros
Set your own work time
Cons
Substitute was close during the summer
Challenging but also rewarding work place
French and ESOL teacher (Current Employee) –  Columbia , SCApril 6, 2014
Work hours from 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. Diverse student population and co-workers. Adequate time allowed for planning and lunch. Smart Boards and other equipment provided for most classrooms. Competitive salaries and professional development opportunities. The hardest part of the job: some discipline issues. The most enjoyable part of the job: all conditions created for a good study environment.
Pros
Instructional materials; good health benefits
Productive work environment with great team members.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 2, 2012
Work environment is nice especially being around children helping them develope their full potential. Typical day of working with students following the lesson plan set fourth by teacher for that dday or week.
Pros
work hours were very good off on weekends.
Cons
not enough full time positions availiable or room for advancement.
Fun and fast work place
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 2, 2013
Reviewed customer files, pull credit reports, work with late charges, help customer with extentions. Handle incoming and outgoing calls.
Learn about Leasing, worked with good group of co-workers, enjoyed helping the customer. Had to work some late nights.
Pros
lots of breakfast, lucheon and dinners, lots of company cook-outs
Cons
work was good, no cons
Education
Auto Collision Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 10, 2012
Education is a trying career, staying focused is most important. Not taking students bad days personal, and being able to offer solutions for situations that seem beyond a students understanding. Giving learners a fair chance to succeed in life with new learned skills.
Pros
making tax paying citizens
Cons
gangs, these groups must cease altogether
Great Experience!!
School Social Worker Intern (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 20, 2015
I love interning at Heyward Gibbes Middle School. I learned so much about myself. The staff was so supportive and encouraging. The hardest part of the job was leaving. The most enjoyable part was working with the students.
Pros
Supportive Co-workers, Student populations
Productive Place
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Columbia, South CarolinaAugust 21, 2012
Class room management is the number one job of a substitute teacher. I enjoyed working the children daily. The staff at most schools were warm and welcoming. The hardest part of the job is it is not stable as substitutes teachers are on a as needed basis.
good group of co workers
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 19, 2014
good place to work. I enjoyed working with special need students but I need more structured hours and pay.
Pros
get to travel all around columbia to many fun events.
Cons
pay logs and system outdated
Fun workplace
Bus Driver/Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Columbia ScApril 26, 2015
Enjoy job Need more money Typical co-workers Steady paced environment Supervisors understanding Very rewarding trips friendly teachers and staff
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCSeptember 15, 2013
I really enjoyed the teaching experience and working with young people. Everyday was fulfilling and enjoyable.
Pros
Teaching young minds
Cons
Not being a full time teacher
great
Parent Community/Involvement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 18, 2015
Working for this school district is rewarding.I havelearned alot since working here. The school is great and the people too.
Educational experience
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hopkins, SCMarch 17, 2014
The kids were fun and this was challenging work, but the environment is not conducive to having students learn from quality teachers.
Exciting to teach and watch children learn.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 22, 2014
School days were not typical because each day was a learning experience as-well-as a teaching experience.
A loving a day at richland school district one
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 27, 2014
I drive students to and from school safely. While interacting with the parents and teachers as well
Good place to work and learn
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SC 29201August 28, 2012
Good location and Good School District for students and teachers.
Pros
location in columbia, sc
Cons
management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Richland School District One. Our community is ready to answer.

Richland School District One Reviews by Location