Richmond Public Schools Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Love this job
Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Richmond, CASeptember 10, 2017
In 1990 was my first time working with toddlers, I learn how to play along with them, have story time. the management was prefect a lot of communication, There is no hard part bout being a teacher aide, i did enjoy myself playing with the children. and teaching them how to do a lot of stuff,
Pros
Time with children
Cons
free lunches, eat together, spend time and have fun wit the children.
productive and fun
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 5, 2017
a typical days work could sometimes be stressful depending who you are working with. I learned a lot working with the guys their. management the most enjoyable was seeing the children on the first day of schoolok. the hardest part of job was when games or summer school.
Pros
lunch
Cons
breaks
Fun, Challenging but Rewarding!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 27, 2017
It's a fun place to work but it does has it's challenges.
There is little classroom support for supplies and help with challenging behaviors.

The classroom culture could and should be improved if they find some type of solution to increase support for children who absolutely have extreme emotional, mental and behavioral problems.
Those students constantly interupt the learning process of other students.

The workplace culture depends upon your Principal and/or Administrator.
My culture is fun and supportive!
Pros
Friendships that are formed, teachers helping each other and the students.
Cons
Healthcare, pay, large classroom size, poor buildings, too much red tape, and decreased classroom stipend.
SCHOOL VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Sussex, WIAugust 9, 2017
Management was supportive and approachable. Learned different techniques for working with children and their parents. Typical day requires signing in at the office, then to assigned volunteer area with directions. Working with children or projects for teachers, then off with the rest of the day.
Pros
Management and staff were supportive and friendly.
Cons
No full time positions available
Poor environment poor system
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 31, 2017
Richmond Public Schools, depending on what area, I would not send my child to their schools let alone work there again. Staff is underappreciated and mistreated. the children are mis-educated and everyone is fine with the fact our children aren't being taught.
Rps
French Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 30, 2017
Working for RPS is very difficult. It is stressful and at times unfulfilling. The culture is one of mediocrity and often good or excellent work goes unrecognized. There is little to no support and time isn't valued.
Pros
summers off
Cons
stress & no support
Workplace
Special Education Teacher, Grades (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 27, 2017
Richmond Public Schools is an educational institution that is very intense. You must be able to exhibit the following as an educator:
Must be flexible
Must be able to multi-task
Must be a team player
Adapt to school environment
Enjoyable
Employeed as a Geometry and GED teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 27, 2017
This was a very friendly and cooperative work environment. I enjoyed going to work each morning because the staff was so helpful to one another. Valuable experience
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Can't save all of the students
Elementary School & Kids Love You!
Health & PE Instructor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 19, 2017
28 years and ready to Retire 2018. Enjoyed the students and my Career very much. Never a dull moment.
Parental Support is not very good in my school so that makes it hard to get help from home when you need it. Parents can make or break a school!
Pros
weekends & Holidays off
Cons
Inner City schools, lots of behavior problems due to their homelife
food service worker
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 19, 2017
it was ok the manager needed more training i was running around that kitchen like a chicken with my head cut off. i resign but i will go back to work foe them in another position.
great people to work with
Elementary Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, MOJuly 17, 2017
very busy day, time went fast, great co-workers, lots of paperwork, loved working with the kids and staff, several meetings a month, worked with students typically from 7:20 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. with a lunch of 25-30 minutes and a daily plan time to work on paperwork, lesson plans, etc.
Pros
most of summer off
Safety
Assistant Principal (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 6, 2017
The staff and people that work at RPS are great . . . Many of the buildings are in very poor condition . . . leaks, bugs, broken windows, out dated video and safety systems . . . not enough security guards on the secondary levels . . . teachers do not feel safe and appriciated so you can only imagine how the parents and students feel. Working conditions are below standard and these issues are never addressed.
Pros
Pay, Good People
Cons
Working conditions, the worst I have ever seen
Flexible position for anyone with a family
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Overby- SheppardJuly 5, 2017
I find great satisfaction within my current position. My job is rewarding as serving children who face challenges academically is something I'm passionate about.
Pros
My schedule accommodates my family.
Cons
Compensation does not reflect position responsibilities
Physical Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 1, 2017
As a former teacher, we were required to write lesson plans. I would use them as my goal to complete for every class. If completed, and all sections were covered, it was a productive class. I believe in having a goals or objectives to complete everyday to stay on task and to make the most out of your day.
Pros
Giving back to the community and educating students with lifetime sports.
Cons
Uncooperative parents
Great hourly employment
Nutritionist (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GAJune 17, 2017
Fun place to work. The benefits are great the, The schedule is wonderful but the pay just is not as much as it should be for the amount of work that is required.
Pros
Great schedule
Cons
Pay
Records, Scanning, archiving
Scan/Data Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 11, 2017
This job was fast pace nice staff good management. My only reason for leaving was because of health reason and now I hope to get something part time.
Productive workplace
Bus driver (Current Employee) –  Richmond VirginiaJune 8, 2017
I love the friendly atmosphere my daily tasks include pre-trip post-trip of my bus ability to interact with dispatch learning route sheets transporting students to and from school safely making sure my bus is swept and clean
Students Need Discipline
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 4, 2017
Working for RPS is a stressful job; however, when I am able to reach and teach at least one student each time I work, the stress is worth it and the job becomes enjoyable. Unfortunately, substitute teachers go in the classroom at somewhat of a disadvantage because he/she may be new to the school and the classroom of students. Not knowing the students names, standard behavior, and personality at first tend to be frustrating when trying to control the classroom. In most classes, it has been my experience that one or more children will "act out" or need some type of discipline. The system that RPS uses for discipline involves moving or clipping their names on a color chart that indicates whether they are behaving bad or good. While that is a way to see and measure temporary, that system doesn't actually create a punishment, Therefore, the hardest part of the job is to teach the students that want to learn while also trying to maintain students that are seeking negative attention.
Pros
Self gratification when a student "gets it" and being able to effect a change.
Cons
Negative attitudes and behaviors from challenged students.
rewarding job
SCHOOL COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 4, 2017
i love working with my students, however, my boss is mean....she's a bully and vindictive and unfortunately, this affects the climate of the work environment and causes my fellow colleagues to want to resign
productive and a chance to start somewhere good for people who need it.
Custodian Worker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 4, 2017
R.P.S is good for people who needs a start in their career and build their life for a better future to move up from the point of not having anything. not for everyone but its a good start.