Richmond Public Schools

Richmond Public Schools Employee Reviews

Successful educational learning experiences
Instructional Assistant II / Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Richmond, VaMay 27, 2015
Pros: Free lunches
Cons: Short breaks
I assist the teacher with instructional activities,student learning and personal growth. Reinforce materials presented to the students.I work with exceptional education students with various types of disabilities.
Serve as a substitute teacher in all grade levels Kindergarten through fifth grade as needed. A typical day at work is enjoying seeing and assisting in helping General Education and Exceptional Education students reach their highest potential. The management and staff are great team workers. The hardest part is working with the students and after five years they have to transition to middle school. The most enjoyable part watching the growth and development from K- through fifth grade and their academic success.
Productive job performed
EIRI Tutor (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMay 27, 2015
I feel as though my experience was average. The environment is not productive for the kids to be motivated because there is a lot of confusion. The dynamics in which make up this particular community does make it challenging because not only is the moral low at times but the students fail to follow rules on a consistent basis.
Great manager to work with.
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee), Richmond, VAMay 26, 2015
Pros: Free meal and no nights or weekends
Cons: No benefits for part time employees, limited to 20 hours/week and no job advancement.
Had an awesome manager and co-workers. Enjoyed the work, just not enough hours weekly. Hardest part of the job was the physical labor. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with the students. I learned all of the aspects of public school food service.
Great Learning opportunity
Early Head Start Teacher (Former Employee), Richmond, VAMay 14, 2015
Pros: Got the opportuniity to spend holidays with family because I was off
Cons: poor salary and wages
I learned a lot about working with families of diversity. The management was very supportive. Each of my co-workers were like mentors and taught me a lot about interacting with different families and students.
Worked with young children
Exceptional Education Teacher (Former Employee), Richmond, VirginiaMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Free lunch
Cons: Expensive fieldtrips
Helped pre-school students with their disabilities integrated lessons. Worked with pre-kindergarten and pre-school teacher; planned out activities together and met with related services to provide instruction.
Good People
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMarch 23, 2015
Pros: good people
Cons: bad school system
There are a lot of good people here but it doesn't help get past the bad after awhile. The pay is awful if you have a family. The benefits are high and are not worth getting unless your single.
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Richmond, MIMarch 11, 2015
Pros: interacting with students on grades levels from pre k through 9th grade.
Cons: dealing with special needs students
Teach students daily subject matter.
I learned as much from students as they learned from me.
Able to talk to them easily.
Gave great insight on certain subjects and how to handle certain students.
Dealing with unruly students.
Learning about the students,
Challenging Environment
Teacher (Current Employee), Richmond, VAFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: rewarding experience
This school system provides K-12 education to inner-city children where vast majority of children live in poverty.

Numerous employees work hard in trying to make a positive change, however staff (teachers and admin) struggle in trying to educate children.

The most enjoyable aspect of the job is knowing that you are making a difference in most students' lives!
Productive and Fun place to work
Peer Tutor (Former Employee), Richmond,VAFebruary 10, 2015
I would assist the teacher with her lessons. We mainly focused on math and reading with the children. We would come up with different ideas of activities to engage the children in what they were learning to keep them interested and focused.
Different Everyday
ICTS Service Desk Associate (Current Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 22, 2015
This job always have something new everyday. Employees call with different problems and issues with the systems. I strive to assist with issues to the best of my ability. My coworkers are very helpful and because of them i learned how things work very fast. The hardest thing is sometimes when big issues come up and they take time to resolve.
great learning experience
Office Assistant (Former Employee), richmond vaJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: hours
Cons: n/a
I've learned multiple computer and customer service skills.
Job Security is awesome
Administrative Office Associate (Current Employee), Richmond, VADecember 30, 2014
Pros: fun environment
Cons: healthcare, management
Very busy, muli-tasking needed work environment.

You meet and gain connections with parents / students and staff.

A typical day consist of answering multi-lined phone system and maintaing the day to day tasks of the front office. The hardest part of the job is maintaining and handling the day to day requests of the staff, students, parents and community leaders accurately and professionally.
Great job
Manager/Director of Procurement and Control (Former Employee), Richmond, VADecember 5, 2014
Pros: people
Cons: hours
My typical day consisted of engaging the public and local business leaders about doing business with the public school system. Moreover, I worked on the more complex procurement issues. I learned how procurement impacted the daily lives of children who attend the Richmond Public Schools. Management was supportive of me and the direction I was leading the procurement office. I truly enjoyed my coworkers and the effort they put forth in doing their jobs on a daily basis. The hardest of the job was dealing with vendors who felt that they should get all the business without competition. I enjoyed how my work helped the students.
Daily Operation
ICTS Service Desk Supervisor (Current Employee), Richmond VAOctober 16, 2014
Normal days here are basic system issues of password reset, printer installation and software issue. There are challenges daily due to systems possible outages or software updates/changes. Staff is pleasant to work with.
Richmond
Title One Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Richmond, VASeptember 29, 2014
I learned that patience is key in dealing with children.I enjoyed working with children in reading and writing.
Hated it!!
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), Richmond, VASeptember 18, 2014
Pros: fun
Cons: strict.. no finger nail polish.. they tripping
When I first started working for the school system it was okay. I got moved to a new school and things changed.
Richmond Public Schools, Richmond, Virginia
Office Associate III (Current Employee), Richmond, VASeptember 17, 2014
Pros: paid holidays not given to private industries, great place to meet new people
Cons: toxic, cut throat and back stabbing environment, pay less when your not a friend but may more if your family or friend politically connected
I love Richmond Public Schools Students, Parents, and Colleagues.

Its a shame the board and administration do not promote within. They hire outside and do not offer any training opportunities so that people can learn and grow as well as promote within, according to the standards of what they are looking for besides being political.

The old RPS loves their staff regardless of the hard pains we had to go through. They treated us like gold and made us not worry about raises because they gave everyone a change to improve.

The new RPS has a theory, out with the old (experience & wisdom) and in with the new (unexperienced & unknowledgeable) of the history and what works in order to see RPS succeed.

The culture is toxic and dangerous. People have died of stress and bullying. Nevertheless, the everyday people considered as "slaves" or "low level" employees that make this system tic, are wonderful.

They get very little credit but love their job because its all about the students and making sure they leave RPS happy and successful in life.
Great place for kids to learn
Instructional Assistant III (Former Employee), Richmond, VAAugust 14, 2014
I enjoyed working with the children and helping them achieve and exceed academic goals. Great atmosphere. I learned many things here and took those skills with me. The employees are really dedicated to serving the children. Hardest part of the job was learning the outlay of the building. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the children and seeing them smile.
Love working with the youth
Enrollment Associate (Former Employee), Richmond, VAAugust 7, 2014
Great Place to advance in working daily with youth of the metropolitan area. The entire work community is very focused on bringing the best education and opportunities the youth in the Richmond Area. Being able to assist and effectively relate to Families and Community is the best thing about the job.
productive work place
Contractor (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJuly 16, 2014
Pros: getting of early
Cons: using your own car and gas to drive to the different schools in richmond
-Went around local Richmond Public Schools and took picture diagrams of each individual class room for the new technology systems that they were installing to build in all the classes.

-co-workers were great
-hours were perfect
-management was superior and very helpful
-most enjoyable part of the job was being able to get off early after completing your duties for the day.

1 2 3