Richmond Public Schools

Richmond Public Schools Employer Reviews

Daily Operation
ICTS Service Desk Supervisor (Current Employee), Richmond VAOctober 16, 2014
Normal days here are basic system issues of password reset, printer installation and software issue. There are challenges daily due to systems possible outages or software updates/changes. Staff is pleasant to work with.
Richmond
Title One Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Richmond, VASeptember 29, 2014
I learned that patience is key in dealing with children.I enjoyed working with children in reading and writing.
Hated it!!
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), Richmond, VASeptember 18, 2014
Pros: fun
Cons: strict.. no finger nail polish.. they tripping
When I first started working for the school system it was okay. I got moved to a new school and things changed.
Richmond Public Schools, Richmond, Virginia
Office Associate III (Current Employee), Richmond, VASeptember 17, 2014
Pros: paid holidays not given to private industries, great place to meet new people
Cons: toxic, cut throat and back stabbing environment, pay less when your not a friend but may more if your family or friend politically connected
I love Richmond Public Schools Students, Parents, and Colleagues.

Its a shame the board and administration do not promote within. They hire outside and do not offer any training opportunities so that people can learn and grow as well as promote within, according to the standards of what they are looking for besides being political.

The old RPS loves – more... their staff regardless of the hard pains we had to go through. They treated us like gold and made us not worry about raises because they gave everyone a change to improve.

The new RPS has a theory, out with the old (experience & wisdom) and in with the new (unexperienced & unknowledgeable) of the history and what works in order to see RPS succeed.

The culture is toxic and dangerous. People have died of stress and bullying. Nevertheless, the everyday people considered as "slaves" or "low level" employees that make this system tic, are wonderful.

They get very little credit but love their job because its all about the students and making sure they leave RPS happy and successful in life. – less
Great place for kids to learn
Instructional Assistant III (Former Employee), Richmond, VAAugust 14, 2014
I enjoyed working with the children and helping them achieve and exceed academic goals. Great atmosphere. I learned many things here and took those skills with me. The employees are really dedicated to serving the children. Hardest part of the job was learning the outlay of the building. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the children – more... and seeing them smile. – less
Love working with the youth
Enrollment Associate (Former Employee), Richmond, VAAugust 7, 2014
Great Place to advance in working daily with youth of the metropolitan area. The entire work community is very focused on bringing the best education and opportunities the youth in the Richmond Area. Being able to assist and effectively relate to Families and Community is the best thing about the job.
productive work place
Contractor (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJuly 16, 2014
Pros: getting of early
Cons: using your own car and gas to drive to the different schools in richmond
-Went around local Richmond Public Schools and took picture diagrams of each individual class room for the new technology systems that they were installing to build in all the classes.

-co-workers were great
-hours were perfect
-management was superior and very helpful
-most enjoyable part of the job was being able to get off early after completing – more... your duties for the day. – less
Being instramental in students progress
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJuly 10, 2014
Pros: graduation
Preparing students for th next level, seeing them develope extracaricular activities
Teacher
Teacher - 5 Grade (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJune 17, 2014
I taught students reading, math, science, social studies, and writing on a daily basis
Awesome OT Department!
School Occupational Therapist (Current Employee), Richmond, VAMay 30, 2014
Pros: good co-workers. able to make a big impact on student performance
Cons: no pay raise in 7 years
Awesome OT staff and director who allows us to focus on enhancing student performance and supporting teachers and schools. I have not received a cost of living or yearly step increase since I started work here 7 years ago.
A very productive workplace
Assist students (Former Employee), Richmond, VAMay 5, 2014
Pros: extended break before lunch starts and participating in school activities
Cons: we only got paid twice a month
A typical day at work is monitoring the students in the cafeteria and making sure they are respectful and following school rules and regulations. We had to clean all tables after breakfast and lunch.
Challenging and enjoyable
School Security Officer (Former Employee), Richmond, VAApril 26, 2014
I enjoyed the challenge to program across ethnic groups. Incorporating sports and the arts into a package for different interest groups was the challenge.
Very hands on, fast pace, upbeat, and exciting job with always something to do.
Title One Tutor (Former Employee), Richmond, VAApril 15, 2014
Pros: getting same breaks as students
Cons: no health benefits
A typical day at work included supervising students during arrival and dismissal and throughout the day assisting them with classwork. I have even helped with personal problems like home issues that distracted and interfered with students performance in school. My coworkers were also college students so we had great chemistry and could relate on a lot – more... of levels. The hardest but most enjoyable part of the job was learning all of the students different personalities. This job has taught me patience and to be understanding of everyones situation. – less
WORK HERE
English Tutor (Former Employee), Richmond, VAApril 13, 2014
Pros: everything, pay, environment, hours
Cons: nothing
great pay great job, everyone was nice the children are adorable
and it is so rewarding, the only reason i left was because the job ended and I want to go into a different type of field
but it was so self-rewarding!
How to be a great substitute teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Richmond, VAApril 10, 2014
Be as great as you wish your substitute teachers were when you were a kid.
Productive workplace
Call Service Technician/Data Entry (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 30, 2014
I learned a great deal at Richmond Public Schools, mostly how government jobs operate.
SENSE OF ACHIEVEMENT WORKING WITH 7TH AND 8TH GRADE STUDENTS
History teacher (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: 40 minute lunch
Cons: short breaks
TAUGHT HISTORY TO 7TH AND 8TH GRADE STUDENTS. CLASSES A DAY 7AM-3PM
Great work environment and very productive
Math Tutor (Former Employee), Richmond, VADecember 28, 2013
Just enjoyed teaching the kids and they enjoyed having me as a tutor. I love working with people and i really enjoyed the communication and conversation with my fellow employees.
High paced, high energy workplace with many surprises everyday
Reading Specialist (Current Employee), Richmond, VADecember 10, 2013
Pros: opportunity to expand knowledge with professional development opportunitites
Cons: difficult to complete home tasks, always thinking of new and different ways of teaching
I learned that people, children and adults, are like sponges. They will soak in what you are teaching and/or demonstrating.
Fun place to work
Office Service Specialist (Former Employee), Richmond, VANovember 27, 2013
Pros: great team of people to work with
Cons: having to leave because of politics.
I enjoyed going to work.
I learned to be a team player.
I found management to be fair.
I enjoyed being around my co-workers we pulled together as a team when the need be.
the hardest part was having to leave for lack of work.
I enjoyed going to work every single day to work with a wonderful group of talented women.

1 2 3