Ricky's NYC Employee Reviews

The Adult Room
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 30, 2016
This was a cool Job , a lot of beautiful girls shop here. The management expects you to break your behind , for lowsy pay rate. Bi weekly , slow business.
Pros
Discounts.
Cons
Pay rate.
Low pay, lots of work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLNovember 3, 2016
If your in school and just want a job, then Ricky's NYC is for you. As for a career this is not the job for you. Closing at midnight nobody ever wanted that shift. Some coworkers were helpful, but there was a lot of favoritism. Thier point of sales system was old and out of date.
Pros
Their employee discount
Cons
Low pay, no appreciation of store employees
Productive and Calm Work Place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 23, 2016
Normally, you would just come in, put your things in the locker, then head to the manager for your daily pep talk right before you go to your task for the day. Then you would just go through the day moving things if asked to and helping out guest in need. Very easy to get done, and is an especially good job for High School students.
A Vivid Insight on Ricky's NYC
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2016
Ricky's NYC is a great environment to grow and find yourself as an individual. It is a stepping stone to help you retain the skills you need in everyday life such as working well with others, being reliable, time management, and multitasking. There are no hard parts to this job, all tasks are very manageable and can be done in a timely manner. Being at Ricky's for the few years that I have been there has taught me all of these things. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the diversity of the different people that enter the store everyday. Since Ricky's is a beauty supply store, every person that comes in has a different need. It interests me to be able to see how someone's hair type differs from the next person that enters the store. I enjoy being able to help customers find what they need and more everyday.
Pros
Opportunities for higher positions, great staff.
Cons
Low pay, very minimal benefits.
not so friendly staff.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 15, 2016
Managers were really snotty, and had bad attitudes. You can tell alot of ppl come and go with this company. The staff such as other cashiers there was a few that had really nasty attitudes. The managers also never try to reach out to your questions , they're very inconsiderate of your personal life especially if you have a small child. This company is just very poorly represented by snobby , and stuck up staff members who are rude, and distasteful I'm glad I quit. I don't recommend this job to anybody at ALL!
Pros
the hours are decent.
Cons
snobby staff members.
erving the Beauty Industry
Director of Business & Development (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 17, 2016
Typical work day at Ricky's starts 6am with daily email correspondence. Coordinate via email with store managers daily responsibilities. Learned how to manage multiple store locations at this position. Management support was great. The most important part of this job was employee retention. Challenging as it was had a wonderful impact on retaining current and new employees. Hardest part of this job was making daily financial goals over several locations. Most enjoyable part was assisting clients with recommendations for their beauty needs.
Pros
Close to Home
Cons
Store hours
You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2016
This company is the second worst company I've ever worked for. They're completely rascist and over work the staff. Management is stealing from the company and then they make the associates the fall guys for their theft. Loss prevention is either incompetent or in on the theft with management. Do no work for this company at all. The only way you could make it is by being dirty and I refuse to get myself dirty. The fact that management steals explains why the company is grossly disorganized, because they have to constantly cover up their theft. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY!
Pros
NOTHING
Cons
EVERYTHING
poor management
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 25, 2016
needs more organization and care for employees hurt on the job, not flexible, and very cheap with pay, its New York based and doesn't even pay enough for you to survive in NYC
Pros
cute environment
Cons
everything
Not a great place.
Beauty Specialist/Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLMay 24, 2016
Unfortunately, this is not a great environment to work. The co-workers and managers are the best. Very friendly and very caring. As far as corporate, they do not care about us little people at all. I expressed how grateful i was for the opportunity but i always felt disrespected. There was no room for growth and when customers were nasty management did not have your back. I believe the customer is always right but not when they are cursing or yelling at an associate. I worked there for two years and never received PTO, healthcare etc. The company can use better leaders. The most enjoyable part was learning new products and meeting new people.
Pros
Learning new products
Cons
Productive and Well training for qualified individuals.
Website Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 8, 2016
Always a morning shift but could also stay until when ever the task is complete. Learned a lot of different websites and tools to setup the Halloween website for Ricky's NYC. Supervisor was friendly and helped with the training of the website team. The hardest part was just keeping up with the daily task set up by our Supervisor and other Managers. As everyday passed I learned more and more about websites tools and working with a fast paced team.
Worst job
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 2, 2016
One of the worst jobs that I've ever worked at. They want you to do so much work for so little money (minimum wage). The assistant managers and store managers treat associates like dirt. They see associates/workers as merely slaves. This is just another terrible cheap labor job. I've warned you. Beware.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Low pay, No promotion unless they personally like you, Excessive labor
Looking Good...Feeling Good?
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 21, 2016
This company is grossly disorganized. Managment treats the employees like slaves instead of employees. Subtle Racism and an extremely hostile work enviroment which contributes to lack of sales. Do not work here at all.
Pros
Employee Discount is 40% on most products (they are usually marked up)
Cons
Managment is hostile and doesnt know how to do their jobs.
Get energy lovely environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 20, 2015
Certain days at Ricky's would be smooth and clam, and other days would be busy and fast paced. Either way it was always fun to be around, things i learned were how to stock and price and i learned to use the cash register which was great because it was first job. As for Managements, my managers were all amazing. They had patience with all new workers and were very helpful and reliable. My co-workers were the same, we all had such great energy which made work a lot fun especially during Halloween. of course the hardest part of the job was the days coming in with school also, but it was always fun to show up and have a great day at work.
Pros
Breaks, Benefits
Cons
Not a stable job
Fun and fast productive work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2015
Working for Ricky's I had so much fun interacting with customers and my co-workers was the best team to work with. If you don't know anything about hair and make up your staff members will teach you on everything their is to know about it.
Pros
Discounts on Ricky's items
Cons
The pay
fun work place with great staff
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  111 3rd aveOctober 7, 2015
this job was pretty easy. the register were easy to use and the daily task were set in a way that it gave you something to do throughout the whole day.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
we had a newly trained manager
Unethical at best
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 5, 2015
Unethical, illegal, and operates completely against EEOC standards across the board. Primarily from the top down. Majority of employees have worked a month or more without pay, corrupt, unethical and unprofessional DM"S and Loss prevention team. They force out great Store Managers due to the immoral and unscrupulous DM and Director of Stores.
Pros
Cons
too many to list
Productive and Fun WorkPlace
Seasonal Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 18, 2015
The people were very nice and the customers were easy to work with. The store was very neat and comfortable. I enjoyed going to work every shift I had. There was never a dull moment
when I grow up
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 18, 2015
I grow up on Ricky's so when they I found out they were hiring for seasonal workers I jumped on the chance. I went in for a retail position and ended up getting the receptionist position. About a week or so into my position I was asked if I wanted to work part on my days off at reception in Human Resources. I accepted the offer. I did background check and kept an up to date spreadsheet of all employees ( active and inactive). file., complete all necessary forms I-9, etc. prepared and updated new hire packets, offer letters. unfortunately they had to start downsizing and laying people off.
Cons
no insurance because i was part time
Great Managment and Sales Experience
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  NY, New YorkAugust 17, 2015
Learned a great deal on products and culture of the customers. Located by Chelsea New York given me an added advantage to explore my sales potential.
Pros
Great Job Culture. Loved the Product
Cons
Too far from home.
Creative, fun and stress free
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 14, 2015
Anyone who knows Ricky's knows that its employees are one of the most diverse set of individuals in NYC. It's what I enjoyed most about the company, even up to HR, employees could perform their daily duties with any color hair or style. The only down side to working for the company was the ability to not progress as a worker, where the higher ups were more concerned about sales than anything else.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ricky's NYC. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4