Right at School

Right at School Employee Reviews

Fun environment
Site Manager (Current Employee), Evanston, ILMarch 24, 2015
Working at Right at School is fun. Being given the opportunity to set a structure in my programs is great because it helps me figure me out the best way to help the large amount of childcare in my programs.
I enjoyed my time here
Recess coach (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 1, 2014
Pros: co-workers, working with children, life/work balance
Cons: upper management and hr
Responsibilities
I really enjoyed working for Right At School. I was lucky to be placed at a good school. Because I've heard a few horror stories from some of our subs about school facility and unorganized drama But not at my location. The factuality were very respectable and really did appreciate us being there. Here is my daily routine. I would arrive at school at about 10:25am decide with the other coach if today would be an indoor or outdoor recess depending on weather. get field equipment, keys,radio, schedule, penny and whistle first recess started at 10:45 during recess keep track of time and transition students to and from recess/lunch or classrooms. Very few incidents that required report writing or office visits. I was known for teaching double Dutch and Chinese rope and my students loved it! So did I :) last recess ended at 1pm we return all equipment have a small "briefing" of the day and head home.

I would have liked to return the following school year be unfortunately due to management disconnect and lack of organization I was passed up. Overall Right At School is a good company to work for. If you enjoy working with children and need something very part time try Right At School.
Flexible Fun Work Environment
Site Director (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 20, 2014
Pros: being able to work a short schedule
Cons: na
Supervised after school staff and managed program operation.
There were a lot of spontaneous changes within the program in w which I learned to re direct staff and program changes in short periods of time. The hardest part of the job was the contract ending, I had grown very close to the staff and children I worked closely with. I enjoyed watching the children enjoy the program activities.
cool
After School Educator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 22, 2014
Great job loved working with the kids. The company was all about fun and responsiveness from the kids.
Productive and fun workplace.
Recess Coach (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2014
I enjoy working at Right At School to work with children which is my career also be able to learn from different settings and cultures.
great company - in theory
Educator (Former Employee), Wilmette, ILAugust 13, 2013
Worked for Right at School for 3/4 of a school year. It was fairly obvious that this was a relatively new company that hasn't exactly found its footing yet.

The school I was at basically just wanted after-school supervision and didn't really care about the "curriculum" part of the program, which, to be honest, was a bit of a joke. Everything was very much geared towards younger kids (K-3) and my group of 4th-6th graders couldn't have cared less about units based around Dr. Seuss and Flowers.

This wouldn't have really mattered if the company supervisors didn't seem so insistent that the curriculum be pretty closely followed. What this resulted in was a huge power struggle between the supervisor at the school - who was there with the kids every day - and the "area supervisors" - who were at the school once every couple of weeks. And the last two months, I don't think I saw any management there at all.

For much of the year, as an "educator," I had no idea who to listen to, as I was being told 3 different things from 3 different people. I tried to use my best judgement and worry about what the kids were interested in, something I'm not sure many of my higher-ups in the company were really that in-tune with because they hardly ever saw them.

In summary, this company COULD be successful. There is a need for substantive after-school enrichment at many school districts, especially CPS, and the basic framework for a good program is there. The management needs to really get their act together, and take the time to be at each school enough to develop a plan that fits each location before it gets implemented. A one-size-fits-all approach for every school and every group of kids isn't going to accomplish anything. However, I don't think the structure is there in the current supervisory system to accomplish this, or at least it certainly wasn't in practice when I was employed there.
Fun work day
Educator (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 1, 2013
Pros: funny children, good breaks (christmas and spring), great hours and pay
Cons: hard job to have while being a student
This job was very fun. You get to work with fun, hilarious children. We played games most of the time but also got to be serious when it was time for homework. My co-workers were awesome and i cant imagine working with any other people. The hardest part of the job was when children misbehaved. Learning how to deal with that was the hardest task i had to do.
Engaging and fun recess, after school and enrichment activities
Site Director (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 7, 2012
A typical day at Right at School involved me arriving at work between a 1/2 hr to 45 minutes before my staff of six to prepare for the enrichment activities for our students. Before the beginning of the shift I would use 15 minutes to brief them on the activities for the day and use that time to have an open discussion about techniques that worked for each staff member while engaging with our students. My staff consisted of professionals like myself who where enrolled in or in pursuit of a degree with some emphasis on education. The most challenging part of the job was ensuring that my leadership was always clear to ensure the my very talented staff always felt prepared and set up for success. It was imperative for the safety of our students that we remained in close communication with one another, with little or no room for communicative barriers. In the ability to overcome this challenge successfully, it made the most enjoyable part of the job, mainly interacting, tutoring and educating our students all the more exciting.

Right at School Salaries