Right at School Employee Reviews

Great Balance of work and Home
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WINovember 8, 2017
My current hours help me maintain a healthy work/home balance. My program manager is very confident in my abilities as a teacher and lets me take control and run the program independently.
Pros
Great team building
Cons
Wish there was more follow through on benefits offered.
Really enjoyed the relationships that I built with my families
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILOctober 25, 2017
I love working with children. In my role, I had the privilege to working with administrators, employees, and the families of the students in the Right At School program. I oversaw 12 Elementary Schools K-5 after school program. I bonded with all of my students/families and really enjoyed the cultural that I had built. The hardest part of my job is letting the students know that we will not have the after school program next year.
Pros
Giving scholarships to the families that needed financial assistance
Cons
Not continuing the program
Right At school
Educator (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXOctober 5, 2017
management was not that good but not great listeners. It was a great to place to work at among children and parents.Doing actives alone with the children.
Great company to work for
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, TXSeptember 8, 2017
I enjoyed working for this company. The curriculum they provide for the children is exciting and new. If you are looking for something part time and working with children this is the job for you.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Getting off after 6pm on a Friday
Great Culture / Growing Company
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILSeptember 4, 2017
Right At School provides before and after school based child care in the United States and Canada. The central office is located just north of Chicago, Illinois. The central office team supports a great culture and a fun / friendly atmosphere. The most enjoyable part of the job was being a part of a fast growing company and knowing you made a difference every day!
Pros
Support, Growth and Culture
Cons
I had to relocate
Great 1st time experience working with Children
SR. Assistant Program Director (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 26, 2017
This company is an excellent start up company for someone beginning to work with children as their 1st after school job experience. I would definitely recommend it for someone interested in childcare. I absolutely had a great time while working there.
Fast paced
School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2017
A new experience working at different schools was very exciting and fun. The hardest part for me was commuting since I had to go to different schools everyday.
Right At School will be a good after school program to work for
Program manager at Beaver MSTech center in Garland (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXJune 21, 2017
The training and support was great. I felt comfortable with the program and truly enjoy the curriculum piece. I had an awesome team and we stood out.
Working with the Principle and his team was great.
Pros
shirts were provided
Cons
not a lot of support when GISD said we would not be there in the coming year
Good place for students and people looking for experience
After School Educator (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILNovember 15, 2016
The community is really great and they want you to succeed at RAS and out. They are flexible with schedule and are happy to relocate you if the school isn't the best fit for you (too many kids etc.).
Pros
Coworkers, pay, work with you
Cons
no breaks
Good Job
mananger (Former Employee) –  new yorkNovember 8, 2016
IF you like to working with children is quite good job. It is very flexible and pay is pretty good. The only problem is supplies are not delivered on time
Interesting Environment
Recess and Activity Coach (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2016
Working for Right at School is a very easy and fun job if you enjoy being with kids. This was also a difficult job because depending on the school they place you at the children's lifestyle can be heart breaking. This job does help you value the life a child more than ever before because some of these children are just looking for someone they can listen to and depend on when they cant get that from home. The hardest part about this job is not getting involved with these children, because some of them have a cry for help, and right at school wants you to get in do your job and leave.
Pros
Working with children of all ages
Cons
Not being able to get to know the children
Great environment
Employee (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 30, 2016
Great, fun work environment. Best coworkers in the world. Everybody is completely understanding. Great work/life balance.
Emotionally rewarding job
Manager (Former Employee) –  ChicagoJuly 23, 2016
The hardest part of this job is to get the employees believe in the educational mission of the company. The employees should have more benefits and education in the field.
Pros
A lot of opportunities for physical exercise for people who like to stay fit
Cons
No financial benefits or any kind of benefits
new position
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 8, 2015
Work to help develop company as it prepares for expansion. Flexible hours and helpful people to work with. Ability to come up with new ideas and to try
Pros
work from home
Cons
short term
Fun environment
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILMarch 24, 2015
Working at Right at School is fun. Being given the opportunity to set a structure in my programs is great because it helps me figure me out the best way to help the large amount of childcare in my programs.
I enjoyed my time here
Recess coach (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 1, 2014
Responsibilities
I really enjoyed working for Right At School. I was lucky to be placed at a good school. Because I've heard a few horror stories from some of our subs about school facility and unorganized drama But not at my location. The factuality were very respectable and really did appreciate us being there. Here is my daily routine. I would arrive at school at about 10:25am decide with the other coach if today would be an indoor or outdoor recess depending on weather. get field equipment, keys,radio, schedule, penny and whistle first recess started at 10:45 during recess keep track of time and transition students to and from recess/lunch or classrooms. Very few incidents that required report writing or office visits. I was known for teaching double Dutch and Chinese rope and my students loved it! So did I :) last recess ended at 1pm we return all equipment have a small "briefing" of the day and head home.

I would have liked to return the following school year be unfortunately due to management disconnect and lack of organization I was passed up. Overall Right At School is a good company to work for. If you enjoy working with children and need something very part time try Right At School.
Pros
Co-workers, working with children, life/work balance
Cons
Upper management and HR
Flexible Fun Work Environment
Site Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 20, 2014
Supervised after school staff and managed program operation.
There were a lot of spontaneous changes within the program in w which I learned to re direct staff and program changes in short periods of time. The hardest part of the job was the contract ending, I had grown very close to the staff and children I worked closely with. I enjoyed watching the children enjoy the program activities.
Pros
Being able to work a short schedule
Cons
na
Productive and fun workplace.
Recess Coach (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2014
I enjoy working at Right At School to work with children which is my career also be able to learn from different settings and cultures.
great company - in theory
Educator (Former Employee) –  Wilmette, ILAugust 13, 2013
Worked for Right at School for 3/4 of a school year. It was fairly obvious that this was a relatively new company that hasn't exactly found its footing yet.

The school I was at basically just wanted after-school supervision and didn't really care about the "curriculum" part of the program, which, to be honest, was a bit of a joke. Everything was very much geared towards younger kids (K-3) and my group of 4th-6th graders couldn't have cared less about units based around Dr. Seuss and Flowers.

This wouldn't have really mattered if the company supervisors didn't seem so insistent that the curriculum be pretty closely followed. What this resulted in was a huge power struggle between the supervisor at the school - who was there with the kids every day - and the "area supervisors" - who were at the school once every couple of weeks. And the last two months, I don't think I saw any management there at all.

For much of the year, as an "educator," I had no idea who to listen to, as I was being told 3 different things from 3 different people. I tried to use my best judgement and worry about what the kids were interested in, something I'm not sure many of my higher-ups in the company were really that in-tune with because they hardly ever saw them.

In summary, this company COULD be successful. There is a need for substantive after-school enrichment at many school districts, especially CPS, and the basic framework for a good program is there. The management needs to really get their act together, and take the time to be at each school enough to develop a plan that fits each
  more... location before it gets implemented. A one-size-fits-all approach for every school and every group of kids isn't going to accomplish anything. However, I don't think the structure is there in the current supervisory system to accomplish this, or at least it certainly wasn't in practice when I was employed there.  less
Fun work day
Educator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 1, 2013
This job was very fun. You get to work with fun, hilarious children. We played games most of the time but also got to be serious when it was time for homework. My co-workers were awesome and i cant imagine working with any other people. The hardest part of the job was when children misbehaved. Learning how to deal with that was the hardest task i had to do.
Pros
funny children, good breaks (christmas and spring), great hours and pay
Cons
hard job to have while being a student