Right at School Employee Reviews

Good place for students and people looking for experience
After School Educator (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILNovember 15, 2016
The community is really great and they want you to succeed at RAS and out. They are flexible with schedule and are happy to relocate you if the school isn't the best fit for you (too many kids etc.).
Pros
Coworkers, pay, work with you
Cons
no breaks
Interesting Environment
Recess and Activity Coach (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2016
Working for Right at School is a very easy and fun job if you enjoy being with kids. This was also a difficult job because depending on the school they place you at the children's lifestyle can be heart breaking. This job does help you value the life a child more than ever before because some of these children are just looking for someone they can listen to and depend on when they cant get that from home. The hardest part about this job is not getting involved with these children, because some of them have a cry for help, and right at school wants you to get in do your job and leave.
Pros
Working with children of all ages
Cons
Not being able to get to know the children
Great environment
Employee (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 30, 2016
Great, fun work environment. Best coworkers in the world. Everybody is completely understanding. Great work/life balance.
Emotionally rewarding job
Manager (Former Employee) –  ChicagoJuly 23, 2016
The hardest part of this job is to get the employees believe in the educational mission of the company. The employees should have more benefits and education in the field.
Pros
A lot of opportunities for physical exercise for people who like to stay fit
Cons
No financial benefits or any kind of benefits
new position
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 8, 2015
Work to help develop company as it prepares for expansion. Flexible hours and helpful people to work with. Ability to come up with new ideas and to try
Pros
work from home
Cons
short term
Fun environment
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILMarch 24, 2015
Working at Right at School is fun. Being given the opportunity to set a structure in my programs is great because it helps me figure me out the best way to help the large amount of childcare in my programs.
I enjoyed my time here
Recess coach (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 1, 2014
Responsibilities
I really enjoyed working for Right At School. I was lucky to be placed at a good school. Because I've heard a few horror stories from some of our subs about school facility and unorganized drama But not at my location. The factuality were very respectable and really did appreciate us being there. Here is my daily routine. I would arrive at school at about 10:25am decide with the other coach if today would be an indoor or outdoor recess depending on weather. get field equipment, keys,radio, schedule, penny and whistle first recess started at 10:45 during recess keep track of time and transition students to and from recess/lunch or classrooms. Very few incidents that required report writing or office visits. I was known for teaching double Dutch and Chinese rope and my students loved it! So did I :) last recess ended at 1pm we return all equipment have a small "briefing" of the day and head home.

I would have liked to return the following school year be unfortunately due to management disconnect and lack of organization I was passed up. Overall Right At School is a good company to work for. If you enjoy working with children and need something very part time try Right At School.
Pros
Co-workers, working with children, life/work balance
Cons
Upper management and HR
Flexible Fun Work Environment
Site Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 20, 2014
Supervised after school staff and managed program operation.
There were a lot of spontaneous changes within the program in w which I learned to re direct staff and program changes in short periods of time. The hardest part of the job was the contract ending, I had grown very close to the staff and children I worked closely with. I enjoyed watching the children enjoy the program activities.
Pros
Being able to work a short schedule
Cons
na
Productive and fun workplace.
Recess Coach (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2014
I enjoy working at Right At School to work with children which is my career also be able to learn from different settings and cultures.
great company - in theory
Educator (Former Employee) –  Wilmette, ILAugust 13, 2013
Worked for Right at School for 3/4 of a school year. It was fairly obvious that this was a relatively new company that hasn't exactly found its footing yet.

The school I was at basically just wanted after-school supervision and didn't really care about the "curriculum" part of the program, which, to be honest, was a bit of a joke. Everything was very much geared towards younger kids (K-3) and my group of 4th-6th graders couldn't have cared less about units based around Dr. Seuss and Flowers.

This wouldn't have really mattered if the company supervisors didn't seem so insistent that the curriculum be pretty closely followed. What this resulted in was a huge power struggle between the supervisor at the school - who was there with the kids every day - and the "area supervisors" - who were at the school once every couple of weeks. And the last two months, I don't think I saw any management there at all.

For much of the year, as an "educator," I had no idea who to listen to, as I was being told 3 different things from 3 different people. I tried to use my best judgement and worry about what the kids were interested in, something I'm not sure many of my higher-ups in the company were really that in-tune with because they hardly ever saw them.

In summary, this company COULD be successful. There is a need for substantive after-school enrichment at many school districts, especially CPS, and the basic framework for a good program is there. The management needs to really get their act together, and take the time to be at each school enough to develop a plan that fits each
  more... location before it gets implemented. A one-size-fits-all approach for every school and every group of kids isn't going to accomplish anything. However, I don't think the structure is there in the current supervisory system to accomplish this, or at least it certainly wasn't in practice when I was employed there.  less
Fun work day
Educator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 1, 2013
This job was very fun. You get to work with fun, hilarious children. We played games most of the time but also got to be serious when it was time for homework. My co-workers were awesome and i cant imagine working with any other people. The hardest part of the job was when children misbehaved. Learning how to deal with that was the hardest task i had to do.
Pros
funny children, good breaks (christmas and spring), great hours and pay
Cons
hard job to have while being a student
Engaging and fun recess, after school and enrichment activities
Site Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 7, 2012
A typical day at Right at School involved me arriving at work between a 1/2 hr to 45 minutes before my staff of six to prepare for the enrichment activities for our students. Before the beginning of the shift I would use 15 minutes to brief them on the activities for the day and use that time to have an open discussion about techniques that worked for each staff member while engaging with our students. My staff consisted of professionals like myself who where enrolled in or in pursuit of a degree with some emphasis on education. The most challenging part of the job was ensuring that my leadership was always clear to ensure the my very talented staff always felt prepared and set up for success. It was imperative for the safety of our students that we remained in close communication with one another, with little or no room for communicative barriers. In the ability to overcome this challenge successfully, it made the most enjoyable part of the job, mainly interacting, tutoring and educating our students all the more exciting.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Right at School. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4