Rio Grande State Center Employee Reviews

Program Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Harlingen, TXOctober 31, 2017
Great place to work for due to benefits like vacation, sick time, Retirement, 401k and medical insurance.I enjoy working with the people that work here.
Pros
Great benefits
stressfull and violent
Professional Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXSeptember 27, 2017
Communication and people skills is essential for the job.
Overtime work required everyday.
Lots of red tape and government regulations.
Not the place recommended for just anyone.
N/a
Psychiatrist Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harlingen, TX 78550September 24, 2017
No team effort, bad supervisior, lack of communication. Forced to come in days off (volunteer) work to cover up. Was always put down. Always working non stop
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
stressful place to work
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXSeptember 19, 2017
was a fun place to work and learned a lot working with people with disabilities. always something different each day very busy and hectic at time it was an adventure
Pros
great pay
Upbeat place to be
PNA 2 (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXSeptember 18, 2017
If you love working in a fast paced, helping, and have patience for people with mental illness or intellectual disabilities. This place is perfect you. It may seem over whelming at first but once you learn the routine and get to know the clients you will grow to love this place as I do. The hours are long and this is not a job for everyone. Your heart truly needs to be in it.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Long hours, need a lot of patience
Productive and busy workplace
Psychiatric Nursing Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXAugust 7, 2017
Working with these patients was interesting and different everyday. At times things were a little hectic however, very rewarding when helping and especially solving something a patient was going though.
learning
Psychiatric Nursing Asst (Former Employee) –  texasJuly 27, 2017
it was a true learning experience. training was good and for the most part everyone works together. work overtime due to people do not last. long hours.
Busy long hour area
Psychiatric Nurse Aide (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXJune 28, 2017
The days were 12 hour shifts and very physical, by physical I mean that you are always on your feet with a resident during dining hours, bathing, teaching, and recreation time. Full time employees would have 60 hour work weeks and part time employees had 35 hour work weeks. The facility was always shorthanded which meant that you learned something new every day. I learned about being patient, proper etiquette in front of mentally challenged individuals and routine vitals. I must admit that RGSC is a great place to work for but it really did not allow me to further my career as a Medical Assistant.
Pros
plenty of overtime
Cons
shorthanded
No bueno.
Psychiatric Nurse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harlingen, TXJune 10, 2017
The work environment is not the greatest. You're basically babysitting criminals and mentally ill patients. Some of which are extremely childish and bite, hit, and mistreat you. You need extreme patience for working with them, thats for sure.
starter
Nurse Aide (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXMay 27, 2017
this place is a nice place to start your career working for the state. It is long hours but the coworkers are friendly. the job is demanding. Recently, Leadership has changed
Workplace Culture
Risk management (Current Employee) –  Harlingen, TXApril 19, 2017
Great environment and very professional setting to work in. The administration building is very sociable. Everyone seems to work as a team. The emails that are issued out everyday are very effective.
Professional fun enviroment
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXApril 4, 2017
A professional easy work environment with many opportunities to advance in the field, helpful and friendly staff great work environment clean facility .
I enjoyed it because i was able to interact with the clients and keep them actively engaged in daily activities or outings.
Psychiatric Nursing Assistant 1 (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXMarch 14, 2017
My opinion concerning a typical day was something new and something different every day. A typical day at work included assisting the clients with their daily personal hygiene, meal times, escort them to take their medications, take them on outtings, to Dr appointments, and maintain them actively enbgaged in daily activities. I learned how to serve and care for clients with special needs. Management was great and professional and an awesome place to work. At the end of the day I felt that I was thankful for making a positive difference in the life of the clients.
Pros
company parties.
Cons
not enough medical staff.
Learning new things everyday
Psychiatric Nurse Assistant 1 (Current Employee) –  Harlingen, TXJanuary 20, 2017
I worked with children. Interacting with them and treating them was a joy to work with because they are their own individuals. Just providing the most basic care for them is a joy when you see them smile.
Pros
patients, co workers
Cons
pay
Productive and room for growth
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXJanuary 6, 2017
I did overall cleaning, buffing and stripping floors. Went to meetings and helped co-workers when needed. Covered other areas when co-workers were absent.
Pros
Heath insurance, benefits and room for growth
Cons
No equality in work orders
Great Benefits, On the Job Training in Nursing Assistant
Psychiatric Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TX 78552September 5, 2016
Was a great experience working here. I learned many medical field related tasks such as EKG, CPR, Restraints, Vital Signs, Excel Programs, Reports to Registered Nurses, Monitoring Patients, Assist with Blood Work, and Registering Patients
Pros
Healthcare
It is not an easy job
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXAugust 25, 2016
This is a great work environment but the only issue i had was the fact that they are always understaffed. It is great for those who don't have a family and want plenty of overtime. The client are awesome!
My experieneces at past employment places
Full-Time, Nurse Supervisor III (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXOctober 11, 2015
Nice places to get experience. the supervisors were great and I had no issues with any of them. The employees where great and really helped with some of the situations of was unaware of.
fun place to work at
ICF- Clinic Nurse LVN (Current Employee) –  harlingen, TXJuly 8, 2015
Challenging yet fun although not much room for advancement. Management tries, co-workers are great but the learning experience is great.
Work
Psychiatric Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXMay 29, 2015
Loved what I did and who I worked with. Management was very rude and not willing to help anyone out. They were the main reason for leaving this job.