Rio Hondo College Employee Reviews in United States

Job was not enjoyable
Management (Former Employee) –  3600 Workman Mill Road Whittier, CA 90608May 24, 2016
I have seen them come and go here. I was management here and beside the hectic work environment the union has a strong hold over upper management. Some union employees have set camps loyal to one another and really can’t see the big picture in working with management so these camps will find ways to undermine the department with the support of union. The hardest part of the day was always thinking about which employee was going to run to the union for looking at them wrong. In addition, top level management will not come down off their high tower to talk to you. This place is a career breaker for any new manager coming in stay away!
Pros
Some benifits
Cons
Union president
Liberal teachers, not so fun
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CANovember 16, 2015
In my time at the college, it was nothing exciting. Teachers were very liberal and made it clear they were simply there to collect a paycheck.
work was enjoyable.
Business & finance assistant (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAOctober 2, 2015
work environment was great and management knowledgeable.loved the atmosphere and the job requirement was perfect enjoyed what i did and would love to do that as a future career.
Pros
worked with school schedule
Cons
It was an empowering establishment fill with ambitions and determination to learn.
English Tutor (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CASeptember 23, 2015
It was a amazing

I helped mold the mind of others.
I learned patients
Taught me how to work with difficult individuals
I became disciplined, organized, detail orientated.

The hardest part of my job was getting the student to understand a foreign concept.

The best part of my job was knowing that I was changing a persons life for the better.
Pros
Working with brilliant minds
Cons
Pay was insufficient
Provided customer service and general information, performed general office duties including answering phones, and filing all my duties were enjoyable
Student Worker - Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CASeptember 3, 2015
I enjoyed working for Rio Hondo community college where I learned how to have create communication skills with my supervisors and coworkers.
Pros
I was able to have a Flexable suchdulde.
Very Educational
Laboratory Technician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAAugust 16, 2015
Great place to work in if you want your daily does of biology. Hardest part of this job was doing classwork onto of my other Lab Tec duties
great school
student (Former Employee) –  Whittier CaliforniaJuly 30, 2015
small school which makes easy to add classes and classes are small which allow the teacher to focus better on you. I learned many things from my Heavy Equipment class like electronic diagnosis and repair diesel engines. I also took Auto Body classes which i learned what tools are needed and how to stay safe.
Pros
hands on training
Cons
work study was so awesome here
Peer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAJuly 26, 2015
This was such a loving environment and it was a great learning with great supervisors that are always willing to help. working with the students was very rewarding and allowed me help,
Guest Lecturer
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAJuly 9, 2015
This was a non paid experience. As a guest lecturer, I had the opportunity to practice my profession as an instructor. It allowed me to further sharpen my tools in lesson planning, engaging students and learning my way around a class room.
Pros
Support from co-instructors
A very good work environment for me and my family.
Program Planning Specialist, Community Services (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAMay 29, 2015
I worked at Rio Hondo and worked my way up to higher and more demanding positions as the years went by. This is a process that is available to employees to apply within and move up and onward. Good friends were acquired there. I do miss my last job as the Planning Program Assistant. It was the best position I had at the college. I am hoping to find another job I can find as good.
Pros
Holiday pay, h & w benefits. Education available. Good hours.
Cons
Parking problems.
Fun, and awesome
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAMay 27, 2015
By far this has been my favorite job. I usually helped students with basic computer questions, and basic English grammar questions. The managers, and I always got along.
Pros
Fufilling place to work
Cons
minum wage
Jobs Awesome
Assistant Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CAFebruary 22, 2015
Working in the lab. Stocking, organizing, situating labs, maintaining a clean and safe lab environment. I learn more about safety hazards and peers are well fun to work with.
Pros
learning experience
Good Company
Intern (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAFebruary 3, 2015
good company to work for not enough money for interns. Really good for hands on experiences, Can get a bit cliquey otherwords a good company to gain hands on expiernece
Wonderful place to work!
Student Ambassador/Riosource Resource Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CAAugust 14, 2014
I am very independent in this position, with weekly meetings with my superiors. In these meetings I get my assignments and weekly duties and then I am expected to complete these on my own. I have kind and flexible managers and really enjoy working here.
student worker position by fafsa
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAMarch 2, 2014
Working with the customers there is annoying just like every other place because everyone feels entitled to be jerks for some reason. It was over all a good experience and it was great way to balance school because they understand that school is our priority.
Pros
on campus
Cons
pay was little
Learned how to think out of the box to teach students.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CASeptember 8, 2013
I learned how to adapt to different learning styles and found ways to motivate students. I would also help students understand how to overcome personal struggles they had to overcome in order to be successful.
Pros
friendly staff and detail oriented
Cons
students would not allow enough study time for exams.
The school has a new campus lay out and library.
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  3600 Workman Mill Rd. Whittier, CA 90601August 22, 2013
Typical day covered a list of tasks, correspondence by phone, letter and e-mail, to and from students and co-workers. Weekly scheduling of inter-office workers and their time and effort reports which calculated their weekly payroll.
The best part of any day was networking with other department in achieving a goal or task. The hardest part of the job was seeing tools that are available to make ones job easier squandered.
Pros
close to home.
Cons
parking.
Very fun and productive
Intern (Current Employee) –  Whittier, CAJune 12, 2013
Very good atmosphere, great coworkers. Interns dont get paid but it is a great way to learn a craft.
Pros
good people, relaxed mood, diverse population
Cons
lots of papperwork, no pay.
its a good college
Federal Work Student (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAMay 20, 2013
i didnt work there, i went to school there. classes can be difficult to get in at first, always crowded.
Productive at your own pace, good work with co-workers
GIS Clerk Technician (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAMay 24, 2012
talk about project and going to field
and lerning more about survaying and designing and co-workwer very friendly everything was nice and no hard work and what I enjoyed in my job is the good relationship with the architect who at the same time was my teacher and my boss he is a really very nice person.
Pros
learning more with my boss
Cons
expending more time at school

4.4