Rio Salado College Employee Reviews

Good student job
Instructional Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 25, 2017
Rio Salado is a great place to work if you are a student, or as an extra side job. As a career, it is not the best. The work is relatively easy and steady, and the management is generally friendly and flexible.
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits
Average work place.
Peer Mentor students affairs (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZ 85281September 4, 2017
I like working there. The work I do is interesting. I like helping people. The people I work with, my coworkers are, professional, well educated, people.
Pros
cafeteria, library
Cons
far to drive
Fast paced but fun and rewarding
Barista/Cashier/Caterer (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 28, 2017
Opened and prepared the coffee bar @ 6am for morning service to begin at 7am. Shut down the coffee bar at 10:00am to prepare the dining room and count my draw for lunch service to begin at 11:00am. Ran the cash register and helped patrons if need be. Shut down the cafeteria @ 1:30pm. Count my draw. Turn it in. Then would either clock out @ 2pm or remain on the clock if there were any college events that were being catered. Catering involved preparing food setting up buffet tables making sure they remained full. Run back and forth between building to make sure all attendees needs were met. Broke down stations, did some dish washing and always had a sincere smile on my face
Pros
Great people and respect. Job satisfaction
Cons
Round trip to work sometimes took 1-1/12 hrs in traffic
product ive
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 16, 2017
This school helps gear students to go down the right path when looking to future endeavors in the business field of life. They have helped me develop a business mind set to get me further in life.
work well with your schedule
Customer Service Finance Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 21, 2017
I have kids and with their school I had to be on the road a certain time to make it to them on time for pick up. I have never had issues with picking up my children.
In review
Nursing Program, mentor/ adjunct faculty (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 2, 2016
The sense of comradery with peers, learning environment and sense of being independent while working as a team. I was able to teach, learn and guide students in various areas of all students online in nursing.
Pros
Teaching
Cons
telling students to repeat a course
Good institution
Adjunct faculty, Administration of Justice (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 27, 2016
I have had good experience with this institution and enjoy their modern approach to the university setting.

It has a unique model for the working person returning to school and has flexibility to peoples lifestyle.
A lot depends on your management
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 11, 2016
Rio Salado College can be a great place or a miserable place to work at depending on your management team. There have been multiple attempts to improve morale and some have been successful. However, there are still many opportunities to be bullied and if you happen to be the underdog, you will want to get out.
At the same time, it can be a place where you can be creative and have opportunities to grow; just need to luck out and work with the right people.
Pros
generous vacation/sick time allotment
Cons
personality clashes
Great autonomy, hardly any students
ADJUNCT PROFESSOR (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 20, 2016
I love teaching for Rio...But with courses having 2-7 students each in my department's offerings, I am lucky to see 150.00 twice a month deposited into my account. I still keep the same office hours as I would with a large course, but have a bit less grading. It feels if I were to calculate my time vs. my compensation, I would be a minimum wage earner.
Pros
work from home
Cons
make little money
Great experience for my career goal
Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 12, 2015
January is around the corner, which means for me I'll be starting the process of pursuing my career goal. Attending college to earn my Associate's in Business General, and later my Masters in Applied Science. Working at Rio Salado College, has not only entered my foot into the career goal setting for my self; but it has open doors for me to get the experience and knowledge I will need in the future.
A basic day at work is entering sensitive student information on our data base software's. Following basic instructions, faxing etc. The most enjoyable part of my job, is being able to help my supervisor's with work load. As well as all the new, interesting, and fun things I learn everyday.
Pros
experience
Cons
hours
Culture of Innovation and Creativity
Faculty Chair & Program Director (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 4, 2015
At Rio Salado the expectation is that one brings a commitment to innovation and creativity to one's job each day. Failures are not seen as such, but are viewed as lessons learned and staff are given opportunities to truly participate in Deming's "Plan, Do, Check and Act!" It is lived, breathed and rewarded!
Pros
Lots of opportunities to learn by doing
Cons
Can be overwhelming
Outreach Representative.
Outreach Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 1, 2015
I have liked everyone and everywhere I have worked for at Rio Salado except for the management at the Outreach Center.
Here you are able to interact with students and own a connection with them. I like helping them over the phone with any type of assistance that I know how to do.
Pros
Great place to work and be a student
Cons
Bad people managing.
Teaching Statistics On-line and Print-based
PSYCHOLOGY INSTRUCTOR (Adjunct) (Current Employee) –  Tempe, ArizonaJuly 3, 2015
Rio Salado is the best community college in the United States. Professionalism and academic excellence are the standard. It is a progressive institution that continually looks for improvement.
Pros
Professionalism
Lots of Potential
INCARCERATED RE-ENTRY OFFICE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Tempe, ArizonaJune 17, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job was helping the students who were incarcerated and there parents. I enjoyed providing answers to the questions they had and clearing up any confusion about out enrollment processes.
Pros
Higher Education
Should be better.
Adjunct Instructor of English as a Second Language (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 5, 2015
The ELA (ESL) department is a mess. Unprofessional and expecting much more work than they pay for on an hourly contract.

The actual job and teaching is mostly good, but much meddling from management.

There's a nice system tying all the Maricopa Community Colleges together and increases the chance to grab better work and large amount of opportunities. The problem, many of the jobs are temporary or contracts which do not allow you to work more than 19.5 hours total unless hired full-time.
Pros
Teaching part of the job is good. Pay per hour is decent.
Cons
Poor managment, expected to do more than one is paid for.
It's great to know you're helping people in the community
Part time instructor (Current Employee) –  PhoenixApril 27, 2015
There's nothing more gratifying than knowing that you've helped someone succeed in achieving their academic goals. As long as you adhere to the College guidelines and stick to the standards, you can enjoy flexible hours and reasonable pay for your time. The future salaries of part time teachers will rely on performance, so I would keep an eye on that checklist, and be a team player.
Pros
Flexibility, respectful career
Cons
No Benefits
Experience/eduation is not rewarded in salary
GED Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 2, 2015
Earning $15/hr with 4 college degrees is not rewarding. Locations were not convenient and there seemed to be some management issues with hiring/scheduling, etc.
Cons
teaching in the heat w/o a.c.
Flexible, No micro-management, Great Second job
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 1, 2015
If you can manage your time and follow clearly defined departmental guidelines, you will enjoy helping students achieve their goals.
Overall Rating of Rio Salado College is High
Security Guard Officer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 28, 2014
Rio Salado College is one of the 10 community colleges within the Maricopa Community College District in Phoenix, Arizona. Rio Salado is a unique institution, named "The College Without Walls". It is comprised on a large operations building as well as many satellite campus throughout Maricopa County. I was housed in the main administration building and acted as one of the security offices. The college is open extended business hours during the week and on weekends. High traffic flow is very common at all hours. The administrative staff is very professional and supportive of their staff personnel.

I enjoyed assisting students directing them to their respective destinations.

I did not encounter extreme difficulties in any facet of this position.
Pros
Professional atmosphere
Cons
No benefits
Southern location staff and managment were great.
Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 4, 2014
Greet students and staff. Enjoyed meeting new students. The Southern location staff and management was great to work with.
Co-workers were great to work with and I took a leadership roll. The hardest part of the job was lack of training which sometimes caused mistakes for me and my co-workers. I learned that you must be proactive.
Pros
Great staff.
Cons
No job security or benifits.