Rio Salado College Employee Reviews

Good institution
Adjunct faculty, Administration of Justice (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 27, 2016
I have had good experience with this institution and enjoy their modern approach to the university setting.

It has a unique model for the working person returning to school and has flexibility to peoples lifestyle.
A lot depends on your management
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 11, 2016
Rio Salado College can be a great place or a miserable place to work at depending on your management team. There have been multiple attempts to improve morale and some have been successful. However, there are still many opportunities to be bullied and if you happen to be the underdog, you will want to get out.
At the same time, it can be a place where you can be creative and have opportunities to grow; just need to luck out and work with the right people.
Pros
generous vacation/sick time allotment
Cons
personality clashes
Great autonomy, hardly any students
ADJUNCT PROFESSOR (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 20, 2016
I love teaching for Rio...But with courses having 2-7 students each in my department's offerings, I am lucky to see 150.00 twice a month deposited into my account. I still keep the same office hours as I would with a large course, but have a bit less grading. It feels if I were to calculate my time vs. my compensation, I would be a minimum wage earner.
Pros
work from home
Cons
make little money
Great experience for my career goal
Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 12, 2015
January is around the corner, which means for me I'll be starting the process of pursuing my career goal. Attending college to earn my Associate's in Business General, and later my Masters in Applied Science. Working at Rio Salado College, has not only entered my foot into the career goal setting for my self; but it has open doors for me to get the experience and knowledge I will need in the future.
A basic day at work is entering sensitive student information on our data base software's. Following basic instructions, faxing etc. The most enjoyable part of my job, is being able to help my supervisor's with work load. As well as all the new, interesting, and fun things I learn everyday.
Pros
experience
Cons
hours
Culture of Innovation and Creativity
Faculty Chair & Program Director (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 4, 2015
At Rio Salado the expectation is that one brings a commitment to innovation and creativity to one's job each day. Failures are not seen as such, but are viewed as lessons learned and staff are given opportunities to truly participate in Deming's "Plan, Do, Check and Act!" It is lived, breathed and rewarded!
Pros
Lots of opportunities to learn by doing
Cons
Can be overwhelming
Outreach Representative.
Outreach Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 1, 2015
I have liked everyone and everywhere I have worked for at Rio Salado except for the management at the Outreach Center.
Here you are able to interact with students and own a connection with them. I like helping them over the phone with any type of assistance that I know how to do.
Pros
Great place to work and be a student
Cons
Bad people managing.
Teaching Statistics On-line and Print-based
PSYCHOLOGY INSTRUCTOR (Adjunct) (Current Employee) –  Tempe, ArizonaJuly 3, 2015
Rio Salado is the best community college in the United States. Professionalism and academic excellence are the standard. It is a progressive institution that continually looks for improvement.
Pros
Professionalism
Lots of Potential
INCARCERATED RE-ENTRY OFFICE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Tempe, ArizonaJune 17, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job was helping the students who were incarcerated and there parents. I enjoyed providing answers to the questions they had and clearing up any confusion about out enrollment processes.
Pros
Higher Education
Should be better.
Adjunct Instructor of English as a Second Language (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 5, 2015
The ELA (ESL) department is a mess. Unprofessional and expecting much more work than they pay for on an hourly contract.

The actual job and teaching is mostly good, but much meddling from management.

There's a nice system tying all the Maricopa Community Colleges together and increases the chance to grab better work and large amount of opportunities. The problem, many of the jobs are temporary or contracts which do not allow you to work more than 19.5 hours total unless hired full-time.
Pros
Teaching part of the job is good. Pay per hour is decent.
Cons
Poor managment, expected to do more than one is paid for.
It's great to know you're helping people in the community
Part time instructor (Current Employee) –  PhoenixApril 27, 2015
There's nothing more gratifying than knowing that you've helped someone succeed in achieving their academic goals. As long as you adhere to the College guidelines and stick to the standards, you can enjoy flexible hours and reasonable pay for your time. The future salaries of part time teachers will rely on performance, so I would keep an eye on that checklist, and be a team player.
Pros
Flexibility, respectful career
Cons
No Benefits
Experience/eduation is not rewarded in salary
GED Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 2, 2015
Earning $15/hr with 4 college degrees is not rewarding. Locations were not convenient and there seemed to be some management issues with hiring/scheduling, etc.
Cons
teaching in the heat w/o a.c.
Flexible, No micro-management, Great Second job
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 1, 2015
If you can manage your time and follow clearly defined departmental guidelines, you will enjoy helping students achieve their goals.
Overall Rating of Rio Salado College is High
Security Guard Officer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 28, 2014
Rio Salado College is one of the 10 community colleges within the Maricopa Community College District in Phoenix, Arizona. Rio Salado is a unique institution, named "The College Without Walls". It is comprised on a large operations building as well as many satellite campus throughout Maricopa County. I was housed in the main administration building and acted as one of the security offices. The college is open extended business hours during the week and on weekends. High traffic flow is very common at all hours. The administrative staff is very professional and supportive of their staff personnel.

I enjoyed assisting students directing them to their respective destinations.

I did not encounter extreme difficulties in any facet of this position.
Pros
Professional atmosphere
Cons
No benefits
Southern location staff and managment were great.
Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 4, 2014
Greet students and staff. Enjoyed meeting new students. The Southern location staff and management was great to work with.
Co-workers were great to work with and I took a leadership roll. The hardest part of the job was lack of training which sometimes caused mistakes for me and my co-workers. I learned that you must be proactive.
Pros
Great staff.
Cons
No job security or benifits.
Delivery of on line programs
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 28, 2014
Diverse student population many from under served cultures. Enjoyed working with students.
Productive and Fun
Full Time Student (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 13, 2014
A typical full time schedule at Rio Salado College would be studying at the library. Classes include a flexible block schedule that starts any Monday. Last classes I took were child development, children's literature and college reading. I learned about the wonderful world of children's books.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Ability to study while traveling.
Cons
No ability to speak to advisement counselors in person.
An "ok" place to work.
Administrative Secretary III (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 26, 2014
Nothing overly great about this position. Management was subpar, no growth potential, low pay.
Pros
Flex schedule
Cons
Location, low pay, no growth potential
Very productive, learned a lot, especially SharePoint skills
Course Production Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 26, 2013
Some of the co-workers were very productive and tuned into company needs. Others just wanted to get by. I found it difficult to work with people who were just putting in hours instead of really focusing on the job.
Pros
Opportunity to learn new programs, meet new people
Cons
Low pay scale, hard to advance
Forward thinking and dedicated to finding the best ways to serve students.
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 18, 2013
RSC is a fun place to work with a dynamic team. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing students using what you have helped create. The hardest part of the job is ensuring minimal impact to students.
Nice Place to work
Site Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  ArizonaDecember 3, 2012
Overall good company, the process for being hired full time is a long one.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
hours, advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rio Salado College. Our community is ready to answer.

Rio Salado College Reviews by Location