Rio Tinto

Rio Tinto Employee Reviews

Challenging and interesting multi-national company
Transition Services Delivery Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 20, 2015
I gained a variety of challenging and interesting financial management experiences in the packaging, manufacturing, aluminum, and mining industries. I was also exposed to a vibrant, rich multi-national culture of professionals, working towards a goal of being a socially responsible leader in the mining and primary metals industry. Overall, my experiences were greatly favorable and I feel very privileged to have been part of such an organization.
Great Coworkers, poor upper management
Specialist, Mobile Device Management (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Great Benefits
Cons: Poor Management
Enjoyed working with the fellow employees and working to make things better.

Management has deviced to move most of the work external and therefore much productivity and innovation has been lost.
good work enviroment
Project Manager (Former Employee), Magna, UTJune 17, 2015
Very respectful management and work place. Very professional atmosphere, good group of people. I was on a project assignment and at the completion of the assignment my employment ended.
Overall good company but hires and fires too frequently
Engineer (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UtahMay 8, 2015
Pros: Great coworkers, great compensation
Cons: Very low job security
The company provides a great work life balance. There are occasional projects which require overtime or odd shifts but these are rare unless you take a role directly within operations. Like with any engineering job in the mining industry there is no single job you would do. You would be doing anything from day to day data analysis, project work, testing, modeling, or fieldwork. Since there is such good compensation and benefits you work with a really great bunch of people. The work is pretty exciting you will generally have an interesting project or two to work on.

My gripe with the company is that mining is a very volatile industry with great highs and horrific lows. Great management fights pressure to go crazy with hiring and capital during the highs and to cut too much capital and people during the lows. In this regard I think Rio Tinto has absolutely horrible senior management. The last two CEOs have given in to the pressure to expand/reduce like they are puppets. Keep in mind the next couple years will be bad years so there will be little chance for advancement. There will be much better chances as metal prices increase. Another potential downside is you will generally be expected to relocate throughout your career.

The bottom line is it is a good company to work for but you will need to be fully prepared to suddenly lose your job. You may want to rent instead of buy any property. And keep 6+ months of salary in the bank.
its a place of work
Lead Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee), utahMay 6, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: management, shiftwork, co-workers
its a place of work, wish I could say something nice
lot of talk about safety but doing it is an other thing
no sick days, hard to get time off,
Positive management skills experience
Field Engineer (Current Employee), WAMay 1, 2015
Good field experience and construction management work. Learned skills such as quality control/assurance, contracts, scheduling, health & safety, and construction
Good worklife / lifestyle roster
Electrician (Current Employee), PilbaraApril 25, 2015
Electrical maintenance
Learned how to fault find in a breakdown situation
Co-workers i did encounter were all very good people
Hardest part about working for Rio Tinto was the fly's and working in 40+ Celsius
Rio Tinto
DBA (Current Employee), UTApril 6, 2015
I am working with Rio Tinto since June 2013. Excellent working environment. Full support from management. It is an excellent place to work. i spent very good time here with my colleagues.
Perception is reality
Saleryied Employee (Former Employee), KennecottMarch 23, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: high stress
Long days at work and you felt like you had to sneak out the door unless you was one of the cool kids. Superintendents were just a bunch of warlords and would fight among themselves.
World class progressive mining company
Supervisor Asset Management Shovels & Drills (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTMarch 12, 2015
Pros: great benifits
Cons: long shifts
The alarm clock is set for 3:15 am to be to work for a 4:30 start time for a shift turn over communication meeting. Right on the dot at 5:00 the crew is there ready for a briefing on the last twenty four hours, safety issues covered and any relevant items covered. Crew assigned to any assets that needed maintenance repairs. High two way radio and cell phone traffic during a thirteen hour shift maintaining the mines shovels and drills, It is a very dynamic environment and the size and scope of the mine and equipment is almost beyond description.
good place to work
millwright 1st class (Current Employee), Boron, CAMarch 8, 2015
Pros: people, pay
Cons: benifits
Good company to work for. Reasonable pay , great people to work with. Every day is different. Just fix whats broke and keep the place producing.
Great place to work.
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee), South Jordan, UTNovember 30, 2014
Pros: tools provided for success. vacation. benefits. safe place to work.
Cons: not the greatest pay. whining co workers.
Overall this is the best company I have ever worked for. Good leadership, very safe, competitive pay. The vacation and insurance packages are top notch. They provide the employees with everything needed to be successful. There is however a problem with some of the employees that feel entitled, but for the most part a great place.
I loved going to work.
Millwright (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTOctober 29, 2014
Pros: bonus, good people to work with.
Cons: cold if you work outside
This was the best company I have worked for. My supervisor was great and the upper management was also very good. They were always asking what could be done to make things better and you would always see upper management out and about, not just hiding in there office.
Exciting job assignment
Advisor - Asset Management (Former Employee), South Jordan, UTSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: great asset management vision
Cons: poor management
This was a wrong opportunity for me based on the culture. I was unable to stabilized into the culture.
Excellent benefits and most areas are great to work. Large company that has some senior leaders that do not follow the Rio Tinto values
Manager-Contractor Management (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: benefits, security
Cons: senior leaders not held to account
Great place to work for 15 years, Most areas of the company are very well managed. Some areas especially in support teams are not managed well.
good place
Maintenace Supervisor (Former Employee), South JordanAugust 21, 2014
They push the employees with degrees harder than they push the employees with time.
Long Term Employee
Environmental Proj. Coordinator/Admin. Assistant (Former Employee), South Jordan, UTAugust 17, 2014
Pros: bonus' and incentives you can earn and salaries
Cons: layoffs, cutbacks
Very busy each day, lots of work to do and workload was usually quite heavy. I loved the guys I worked with and had a long term friendship with most of them. Worked for many years, but the company does have a lot of layoffs in their history.
Usually Supervisor level bosses were great, but the higher ups were not as aware of the reality of what we did or its importance to keeping the company running. The hardest part of the job was the workload, especially when they had layoffs or hiring freezes, because sometimes we were doing two jobs instead of one.
Best part of the job is they pay very well for the market, give regular bonus' and incentives you can earn.
Better than your typical huge company.
Senior Advisor, Human Resources (Current Employee), Denver, COAugust 5, 2014
Cons: be careful which product group you work for. some are much better than others.
I can't complain too much during my time with Rio Tinto. Your manager is your lifeline to your career. If you get a good one, then the sky is the limit. Unfortunately, there aren't many good ones in Human Resources department.
Large Multinational Organization with Strong Financials
Global Marketing Analyst (Current Employee), Denver, COMay 8, 2014
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and metals company. Focused in finding, mining, and processing the Earth’s mineral resources and operating in over 40 countries in order to maximize value for our shareholders. We have the people, capabilities, and resources to supply a world hungry for the metals and minerals that are used in everyday life, in diverse products – from fertilizers, mobiles phones to cars.
Graet pay and benifits. The job itself and managers are great.Some concern to be laid off.
Mine operator/Laborer (Current Employee), Boron, CAMarch 22, 2014
Pros: we are payed very well and taken care of by the company
Cons: fear of being laid off
A typical day at work would be clocking in and having a team meeting with the manger with him or her telling us what we are going to do. Also talking about any safety hazards that might be present. Then we would be taken to are equipment and haul lots of material. The management are very helpful and want us all to remain safe.
Headquarters