Rio Tinto

Rio Tinto Employer Reviews

I loved going to work.
Millwright (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTOctober 29, 2014
Pros: bonus, good people to work with.
Cons: cold if you work outside
This was the best company I have worked for. My supervisor was great and the upper management was also very good. They were always asking what could be done to make things better and you would always see upper management out and about, not just hiding in there office.
Exciting job assignment
Advisor - Asset Management (Former Employee), South Jordan, UTSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: great asset management vision
Cons: poor management
This was a wrong opportunity for me based on the culture. I was unable to stabilized into the culture.
Excellent benefits and most areas are great to work. Large company that has some senior leaders that do not follow the Rio Tinto values
Manager-Contractor Management (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: benefits, security
Cons: senior leaders not held to account
Great place to work for 15 years, Most areas of the company are very well managed. Some areas especially in support teams are not managed well.
good place
Maintenace Supervisor (Former Employee), South JordanAugust 21, 2014
They push the employees with degrees harder than they push the employees with time.
Long Term Employee
Environmental Proj. Coordinator/Admin. Assistant (Former Employee), South Jordan, UTAugust 17, 2014
Pros: bonus' and incentives you can earn and salaries
Cons: layoffs, cutbacks
Very busy each day, lots of work to do and workload was usually quite heavy. I loved the guys I worked with and had a long term friendship with most of them. Worked for many years, but the company does have a lot of layoffs in their history.
Usually Supervisor level bosses were great, but the higher ups were not as aware of the reality of what we did – more... or its importance to keeping the company running. The hardest part of the job was the workload, especially when they had layoffs or hiring freezes, because sometimes we were doing two jobs instead of one.
Best part of the job is they pay very well for the market, give regular bonus' and incentives you can earn. – less
Better than your typical huge company.
Senior Advisor, Human Resources (Current Employee), Denver, COAugust 5, 2014
Cons: be careful which product group you work for. some are much better than others.
I can't complain too much during my time with Rio Tinto. Your manager is your lifeline to your career. If you get a good one, then the sky is the limit. Unfortunately, there aren't many good ones in Human Resources department.
Large Multinational Organization with Strong Financials
Global Marketing Analyst (Current Employee), Denver, COMay 8, 2014
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and metals company. Focused in finding, mining, and processing the Earth’s mineral resources and operating in over 40 countries in order to maximize value for our shareholders. We have the people, capabilities, and resources to supply a world hungry for the metals and minerals that are used in everyday life, in diverse – more... products – from fertilizers, mobiles phones to cars. – less
Graet pay and benifits. The job itself and managers are great.Some concern to be laid off.
Mine operator/Laborer (Current Employee), Boron, CAMarch 22, 2014
Pros: we are payed very well and taken care of by the company
Cons: fear of being laid off
A typical day at work would be clocking in and having a team meeting with the manger with him or her telling us what we are going to do. Also talking about any safety hazards that might be present. Then we would be taken to are equipment and haul lots of material. The management are very helpful and want us all to remain safe.
Great, faced paced employment. Very team oriented.
Plant Operator/Miner/Loader Operator (Former Employee), Boron, CAFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: healthcare, hours
I operated heavy equipment and worked 10-12 hour days. Management was great and I learned alot of on the job training. I am a very highly dedicated employee and have great attendance. I would still work there, but I had to move back to Washington State due to an illness of a family member.
Great Company to work for. Excellent compensation package
Operations Superintendent (Current Employee), Boron, CAJanuary 28, 2014
Great Company to work for. Excellent compensation package.
Safe environment held over production
Geologist (Current Employee), Bingham Canyon, UTJanuary 19, 2014
Challenging and fast pace. The Geology department is very interested in personal development, there is always an opportunity for more learning and growth.
I love the field work and interpreting data I have collected coupled with almost a century geological sampling and mapping.
Interesting work with a varity of tasks.
Lead Safety Coordinator (Former Employee), Salt Lake City UtahDecember 9, 2013
Pros: world class company.
Rio Tinto/Kennecott is a world class company with highly skilled people. It is a company that performs important work mining metals for the country and world.
Top Tier Mining Company
Materials Planner (Former Employee), South Jordan, UTDecember 7, 2013
Pros: exciting enviorment
Cons: subject to lay offs
Great place to work, sustainable environment. Training of employees is top notch, expectations are high, work environment is fast pace.
I loved working here
Contract Assistant, Adecco (Former Employee), Gillette, WYNovember 29, 2013
Pros: enjoyed my position
Cons: company layoff
My job was very interesting and busy. I enjoy being busy and always learning new things about the job. Coworkers were amazing.
Some good co worker
Steam Plant Operator (Former Employee), Boron,CANovember 20, 2013
Pros: lots of ot
Cons: no life company does not care for union workers
Some of the hourly staff are very friendly, but management like to butt head with coworker. Not a healthy work place
Red Tape
Senior Sourcing Specialist (Current Employee), CanadaNovember 15, 2013
Seniority rules
HSE oriented
Red tape.
Cost constraint
coworkers unprofessional
dealing with parts and fun people
Warehouse Associate/ POD Associate (Current Employee), South JordanOctober 15, 2013
Pros: schedule and time off and sick leave if needed
Cons: not enough room to grow or move up
my typical day at work consist of returning parts from Kennecott, talking with vendors to see if they will take part back, sending repairs out ot be repaired. i learned that the same parts get ordered and not replaced on equiptment. my co-workers are great for the most part we all have fun at times and keep the work place fun and safe. hardest part – more... of my job it not getting training to move up. it get to work with alot of fun people and i do enjoy my job especially when i get to see the big trucks in the mine – less
Production over safety
Shipping supervisor (Current Employee), BoronOctober 10, 2013
Cons: not a family oriented company. they do not care for your family. just work till you are broken
This place is ran by sociopathic managers from the top, down to most of the lower level supervisors. Off shift employees have absolutely no support from anyone in management. Also there are more supervisors telling you what to do, than there are employees to do it. Supervisors regularly order employees to work outside of safety guidelines and policies – more... set forth by the company, only to try to improve production numbers. This place has really taken micro managing to a new level. The people writing the job descriptions can't even spell right. They seem to hire the least skilled people for management positions, they have no or very little previous experience for the type of work environment. I could go on and on. – less
Excellant safety minded company
Maintenance Planner (Former Employee), Magna UtahAugust 28, 2013
the co-workers are great people, management is willing to work with you to succeed
always something to do
Operator (Former Employee), Magna, UTAugust 6, 2013
Pros: love my job
Cons: not enough hrs
keeping busy / learning new things each day / doing my job as best as I can / my boss's are always happy with what I do / co workers are easy to get along with / enjoyable part staying busy

1 2 3 4 5

About Rio Tinto

Rio Tinto is a leading international mining group, combining Rio Tinto plc, a London listed public company headquartered in the – Read more