Rio Tinto Employee Reviews

nice and prudictive days.
Bap operator (Former Employee) –  Boron, CAJanuary 9, 2018
everyday was very interesting from learning the way the plant operated to operation of the heavy equipment. just an all around nice place to work with nice individuals to work with.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  South Jordan, UTJanuary 7, 2018
I liked my coworkers and my job responsibilities but I found the pressures and demands of the job were overwhelming and required quite a bit of my time
Good company w/great benefits
Manager (Current Employee) –  South Jordan, UTNovember 22, 2017
Rio Tinto overall is a good company to work for however the company is mostly international based and not very US friendly. The company provides good benefits however advancement is tough for some positions (glass ceiling).
Benefits
Cons
Limited Advancement
Stable work, great environmemt
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Boron, CANovember 22, 2017
Competitive, challenging, and rewarding environment. Awesome union stewards. Great place to add plenty of skills under your belt. There are a lot of opportunities for anyone who is open to working in a safety oriented atmosphere.
Secure company with good pay and benefits
Finance (Current Employee) –  UtahNovember 1, 2017
Great pay and benefits, but you're always at risk of loosing your job to outsourcing or reorganization. Constant focus on safety and cost cutting. Most of the managers are good, but you could end up with a difficult one depending on the department.
Rio tinto as a whole good company. Poor leadership and management
Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Riverton, UTOctober 27, 2017
Loved my job. However poor management. Discrimination and retaliation issues even when you have proof. Lack of follow through. Multiple issues called in on certain individuals nothing happened.
Pros
Some great groups to work with within rio tinto.
Cons
Overwelmed short staff
Did not enjoy the Knife in the back.
Mining Electrician (Former Employee) –  Boron, CAOctober 19, 2017
dont work here. Find a job somewhere else and dont waste your time with games. I would say the union was very supporting and worth the dues they asked for.
Very few people recommend this as a place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  UtahOctober 15, 2017
Very fickle organization that lacks direction and clear sense of purpose. Management changes very often which leads to incredible sense of uneasiness and lack of experience. Company doesn't value people.
Corporate jobs leaving USA
Middle Management (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 14, 2017
Corporate jobs are being relocated to Montreal or Brisbane, and the worker will not necessarily be invited to move. I would be asking lots of questions about this prior to accepting a corporate role.
great place to work
Heavy equipment mechanic (Current Employee) –  Boron, CAAugust 31, 2017
not a bad place to work it is what you make of it. being on time ready to work is the most basic thing that you could do to keep this job. and put forth the effort
Horrible to work for
Driller. Trainer Assessor (Former Employee) –  Mesa A/JAugust 21, 2017
The whole company attitude that it looks after its people is an absolute sham. They say people are their most important comodaty but this is far from the truth
Cons
Bad management
Difficult work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 23, 2017
Difficult environment
Impersonal culture
Confused leadership

Great Benefits
No training
Constant leadership and operational changes without direction and without focus
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
Horrible work environment
To productive and works to achieve the goal.
Welding Instructor (Former Employee) –  Mozambique Point, LAJune 12, 2017
A day at work was good and enjoyable. Learned good waysworking with steel and i have also learned Boilermaking . Goog managerial skills, and teaching.
Pros
free breakfast, lunch
Cons
Health care
Great People, and Great Company
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Magna, UTMay 22, 2017
The people were the best part of this job. The company is, and given their line of work, absolutely should be focused on safety. Each meeting begins with a safety tip, and I really appreciated that.

The work was interesting and I enjoyed it, and there was plenty of opportunity to advance, but the best part was the people.
Good company to work for lots of perks great pay!!!
Supervisor/Leading Hand (Former Employee) –  Hope DownsMay 19, 2017
Any job is what you make of it. Had an amazing time with the company & lots of career choices. The only let down in a way is a lot of leaders in the last 5yrs are fresh out of uni. Some are making big changes for some departments they have not physically worked in themselves only by textbooks at Uni. To all graduates taking on a company this big..... Listen to the experience on the floor. How your program on the computer tells you to do it, is usually nothing how it works in the pit!
Pros
Bonuses, pay, lifestyle rosters, great health care covers.
Cons
Night shift between 2am & 6am!!! Young managers, lots of greenys, Veerry long days in the pit leave at 5:30 return 6:45 days or nights
Great company
Construction Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 18, 2017
Indeed has always been prompt with finding employment to people I know. I think that they are professional and should be seeked out to assist anyone find a job.
Pros
Promt
Cons
Was probably my favorite job to date.
HR Training - Administrative/ Training (Former Employee) –  Bingham Canyon, UTMay 11, 2017
Worked at KUCC for 7+ years. Loved my job and co-workers. The focus on safety is a given considering the atmosphere, though they went the extra mile.
I met some of the most outstanding people in my job position and am grateful for all of the opportunities to develop and grow.
Pros
Met some of the most amazing people
Cons
The smell and change in leadership that eventually demolished the department.
Demanding but satisfying
Granulating Operator Level C (Current Employee) –  Boron, CAApril 15, 2017
The work here is very demanding but at the same token very rewarding when you see the hard earned paycheck and the results of your work at the end of the day and the work week.
Pros
Pay and safety culture
Cons
Long hours forced overtime low manpower
Fast paced heavy industrial environment
Refinery Services Maintenance Planning Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boron, CAMarch 21, 2017
Has been a great company to advance in my career for over 18 years; it has been challenging, fun for the most part and taught me a lot about working for a world class mining company. The people I have worked with over the course of my career is the most enjoyable part of the job and the work as there are many directions you can go in Rio Tinto.
Pros
4 day work week with 4 weeks vacation and holidays-good benifits
Cons
Mine is in the middle of nowhere and its a commute to get there
Bad work environment. Salary trained to hate hourly workers.
Instrumentation Electrician (Former Employee) –  Boron, CADecember 18, 2016
Salary are trained to be unfriendly with the hourly workers. The company is willing to spend millions of dollars just to prove that they don't need the hourly workers. They locked out 600 hourly workers for 4 months. They locked the workers out at the end of the month so that they would have no medical insurance because it only last to the last day of the month. They constantly fire hourly employees and when they think they might lose the arbitration, they hire them back with no back pay. They write up hourly workers for using sick leave, and threaten to fire even if the employee has an excellent attendance record. These are not lies. This is true information. I watched it with my own eyes.

It used to be a great place to work until corporate got involved into the day-to-day operations and started micro-managing the Borax mine.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Most satanic work environment I have ever seen.