Rite of Passage Employee Reviews

Not for a person with a family
Coach Counselor (Former Employee) –  Keymar, MDJune 23, 2017
This job requires you to be away from your family for multiple days. Its better for someone that lives closer to the location. It doesn't pay for the time you spend with the children and the amount of stress that you're under dealing with troubled kids.
Awful
Coach Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Andreas, CAJune 14, 2017
Do not work at this establishment. I spent 9 months there and they were terrible. They dont treat the kids or staff the way they preach and is emotional stress beyond belief. Best part of job was the free food....
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Horrible Management, Long hours, Stress Supplier
Rewarding
SHIFT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Queen Creek, AZJune 11, 2017
Had many great experiences here. The job was challenging but worth it. Many opportunities to move up and they are supportive of education and training.
Pros
Relationships
Cons
Hours
what are you here for?
Awake Overnight Counselor (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 1, 2017
I work a 10 hour shift from 10pm to 8am with no break short staffed constantly supposed to be 2 staff per cottage you will work alone with 12 kids the company is unorganized the older staff do what they want with kids make up rules to suit them. Human resources is an idiot. perk is getting to know the kids
Busser/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  NVMay 27, 2017
Working at a school in the first place is very messy. However the place was pretty fun and calm. They made washing dishes something fun to do because of the work setting.
Juvenile Services
Group Living Counselor-Coach (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INMay 12, 2017
The organization provides a health environment for at-risk youth ages 15-18. These you gain the following tools to become productive citizens.

Self-esteem
Coping Skills
Boundaries
Conflict Resolution
Social Skills
Leadership

The facility is designed as a residential treatment center and has a full team of professionals.
Difficult hours, no work/life balance
Coach Counselor (Current Employee) –  Ridge ViewApril 15, 2017
The ROP program is awesome. Working with the kids can be difficult, but rewarding . I like the people I work with, which is a big plus! The hours are exhausting! 4 days on and 3 off sounds great, but it takes 2.5 days to recover from work and lack of sleep. I hope I can get used to it...
Horrible
Coach (Former Employee) –  Watkins, COMarch 26, 2017
The kids run this place. Management is horrible and don't care about their employees. I did work with some good people. Very long hours and not much pay.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Management cooperation does not exist
Chef and Culinary Instructor (Former Employee) –  Minden, NVMarch 22, 2017
This place has a very weak management support system. They treat the students like animals. I learned not to trust. Work culture was like a prison. Hardest part was dealing with management.
Pros
Teaching
Cons
Great Best for experience, not to stay
Coach Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Andreas, CAJanuary 1, 2017
Honestly, This job have taught me a lot about myself and the character of others. I learned to do much of the opposite of what this company teaches. Helping the kids was the only and best thing about the job.
Pros
helping the kids, and 3.5 days off
Cons
No personal life, favoritism, lack of professionalism, gossipers, giving people jobs of authority without experiences just to full space, upper management treat staff worse than the kids
Worst job ever!
Group Living Counselor/Security (Former Employee) –  Granbury, TXNovember 17, 2016
The turn over rate is ridiculous. Too many bosses and no one seems to know what they are doing or can agree on anything. Benefits yes but the hours suck.
Stressful
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 31, 2016
Need more with family life and better interaction with employees that are stressed to the max. Most employees dont have a balance.
A great group of people
Intership (Former Employee) –  Friendswood, TXJuly 17, 2016
Loved doing my intership there. Learned alot. Staff was wonderful ans very eager to teach. I would recomend this facility to new students
Good
Group Living Counselor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 29, 2016
Good place to start career. Can get difficult at times but the more time working there the more I understood the program. Helped youth with behavioral problems increase the way they live, goals, life and family.
Have to deal with many difficult situations with the student but overall is worth it to give and see the improvement in their behavior.
This career is more for those who love what they do and not so much for they pay (earnings are not too good).
Pros
Over-time availability, Free meals
Cons
Short staff, Long hours
Good opportunity to help youth at risk
Group Living Counselor (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COMarch 25, 2016
Though there is no room for advancement and pay is low,
they offer good benefits. I am part-time on call. I have been employed there for 10 years.
Horrible Place to Work
Group Living Counselor (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, CODecember 14, 2015
When hired here I received a mess of conflicting information about my job including the times and days I worked, as well as the number of hours I worked. I turned out nothing they told me in writing upon hire was true. Then on my first day my supervisor had no idea that I was showing up or who I was. I was then told I needed to go to training first. When I went to attend training I was told training would not be for another 6-8 weeks and that I would just work on the floor without training until then.
Pros
easy job
Cons
no communication
n/a
Case Worker (Current Employee) –  Oracle, AZDecember 14, 2015
n/a due to policy and privacy of client, thank you for the opportunity to voice my opinion. I have no open opinion at this time
It's a fun atmosphere to uplift the youth
Night Coach Counselor (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 1, 2015
This is a treatment facility for adjudicated youth. A typical day at work is influencing youth through open and honest communication, which includes listening, sharing and modeling. The hardest part of the job is that no one can completely control someone else's behavior. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with the youth.
Pros
Cons
Healthcare and salary
High paced environment working with troubled youth
Director of Group Living (Former Employee) –  Queen Creek, AZOctober 26, 2015
Oversaw the daily operations of a staff of 200 and 350+ youth. Responsible for training, hiring, discipline etc. Worked with over 38 different placing agencies across the US and who were responsible for our clients. Produced daily schedule for operations and education.
Pros
great staff and great kids
Cons
work schedule
Not a good place to work
Coach Counselor (Former Employee) –  Minden NV and Silver Springs NVSeptember 23, 2015
ROP is a site designed in "improving the lives of youth" and if the company focused on this motto instead of how much money a county will provide for housing a juvenile then this work experience would be much more effective. You work 16 hr day (though management does not agree to this even though they do not work with you). You stay in the housing developments overnight with the juveniles, but stop getting paid after 9:30pm. So if a teen runs away, has a medical emergency or gets into a fight you must wake up and deal with it. Some times management will pay you, sometimes they will give you extra breaks to cover the time spent awake dealing with the late night issue. If you place the OT on your timecard without permission from management you are threatened with termination or suspension or they will say, "dealing with youth is sometimes unpredictable, be a team player, asking for OT is not being a team player." This job was rewarding at one time, but it is now a job were I wouldn't suggest sending any kids there. Ever. The program itself is a solid and workable system that actually has the potential to help at risk youths, but ROP only cares about pocketing money. The Youth Counselors are paid barely $11.00 an hr and at meetings they break the system down stating that paying the staff that spend 80% of the time with the kids in hopes to rehabilitate them are not worth paying more. I worked countless un-documented hours, as did other staff (for YEARS) for ROP to better help the kids. I wish I had more sense then. Because no matter how hard I tried for the kids (as well as the  more... other counselors) it was never enough. The turn over rate there is laughable. This job breaks people.  less
Pros
decent benifits and retirement
Cons
lack of sleep, over worked, underpaid, disrespected, overlooked, kids are just dollar signs