Rite of Passage Employee Reviews in United States

A great group of people
Intership (Former Employee) –  Friendswood, TXJuly 17, 2016
Loved doing my intership there. Learned alot. Staff was wonderful ans very eager to teach. I would recomend this facility to new students
Good
Group Living Counselor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 29, 2016
Good place to start career. Can get difficult at times but the more time working there the more I understood the program. Helped youth with behavioral problems increase the way they live, goals, life and family.
Have to deal with many difficult situations with the student but overall is worth it to give and see the improvement in their behavior.
This career is more for those who love what they do and not so much for they pay (earnings are not too good).
Pros
Over-time availability, Free meals
Cons
Short staff, Long hours
Good opportunity to help youth at risk
Group Living Counselor (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COMarch 25, 2016
Though there is no room for advancement and pay is low,
they offer good benefits. I am part-time on call. I have been employed there for 10 years.
Horrible Place to Work
Group Living Counselor (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, CODecember 14, 2015
When hired here I received a mess of conflicting information about my job including the times and days I worked, as well as the number of hours I worked. I turned out nothing they told me in writing upon hire was true. Then on my first day my supervisor had no idea that I was showing up or who I was. I was then told I needed to go to training first. When I went to attend training I was told training would not be for another 6-8 weeks and that I would just work on the floor without training until then.
Pros
easy job
Cons
no communication
n/a
Case Worker (Current Employee) –  Oracle, AZDecember 14, 2015
n/a due to policy and privacy of client, thank you for the opportunity to voice my opinion. I have no open opinion at this time
It's a fun atmosphere to uplift the youth
Night Coach Counselor (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 1, 2015
This is a treatment facility for adjudicated youth. A typical day at work is influencing youth through open and honest communication, which includes listening, sharing and modeling. The hardest part of the job is that no one can completely control someone else's behavior. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with the youth.
Pros
Cons
Healthcare and salary
High paced environment working with troubled youth
Director of Group Living (Former Employee) –  Queen Creek, AZOctober 26, 2015
Oversaw the daily operations of a staff of 200 and 350+ youth. Responsible for training, hiring, discipline etc. Worked with over 38 different placing agencies across the US and who were responsible for our clients. Produced daily schedule for operations and education.
Pros
great staff and great kids
Cons
work schedule
Not a good place to work
Coach Counselor (Former Employee) –  Minden NV and Silver Springs NVSeptember 23, 2015
ROP is a site designed in "improving the lives of youth" and if the company focused on this motto instead of how much money a county will provide for housing a juvenile then this work experience would be much more effective. You work 16 hr day (though management does not agree to this even though they do not work with you). You stay in the housing developments overnight with the juveniles, but stop getting paid after 9:30pm. So if a teen runs away, has a medical emergency or gets into a fight you must wake up and deal with it. Some times management will pay you, sometimes they will give you extra breaks to cover the time spent awake dealing with the late night issue. If you place the OT on your timecard without permission from management you are threatened with termination or suspension or they will say, "dealing with youth is sometimes unpredictable, be a team player, asking for OT is not being a team player." This job was rewarding at one time, but it is now a job were I wouldn't suggest sending any kids there. Ever. The program itself is a solid and workable system that actually has the potential to help at risk youths, but ROP only cares about pocketing money. The Youth Counselors are paid barely $11.00 an hr and at meetings they break the system down stating that paying the staff that spend 80% of the time with the kids in hopes to rehabilitate them are not worth paying more. I worked countless un-documented hours, as did other staff (for YEARS) for ROP to better help the kids. I wish I had more sense then. Because no matter how hard I tried for the kids (as well as the  more... other counselors) it was never enough. The turn over rate there is laughable. This job breaks people.  less
Pros
decent benifits and retirement
Cons
lack of sleep, over worked, underpaid, disrespected, overlooked, kids are just dollar signs
Hard work and dedication pays off
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 18, 2015
There are tremendous growth opportunities if you are willing to work hard and make investments in yourself and your tenure with the company. Get as much education as you can.
Pros
Great people
great place to work with amazing people
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Watkins, COSeptember 1, 2015
great co-workers
kids are awesome
goal and concept of the facility are amazing!
you get to be physically fit
you will be able to save money bc of the schedule!

Want to know more about Rite of Passage?

Ask a question
Not a good work enivronment
Vocational Instructor (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 5, 2015
The administration never provided a good work environment with teachers and students. It was a changing environment daily and vocational instruction doesn't work in these changes.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Poor management, turnover in employees
Great Entry Level Experience
Coach/Counselor (Current Employee) –  San Andreas, CAMay 7, 2015
A typical work day is 14-16 hours on your feet, you get 6-8 hours of sleep at night. You get a 2 hour unpaid break and free motel room, free meals and snacks. The job itself is easy and they provide all training. You learn so much here and the experience is great. If you can handle the hours and being treated horrible by teenage boys then all of the other obstacles are easy.

The best part of my job is watching these boys change and mature over their 6 -9 month stay (or longer). I know I made a difference for them.
Pros
Free meals, free motel, great pay, great experience
Cons
standing on feet all day, emotionally exhausting
great place to work
Adminstrative Assistant/ Register (Former Employee) –  new orleans laApril 21, 2015
A typical day at work is very busy. Seeing parents all day, registering students and manage ring the front office. I loved working for the company.
Pros
Working with students and parents.
Cons
No cons.
Rop
Business Specialist / Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minden, NVMarch 3, 2015
I have worked for ROP for the past two year and the company is amazing to work for and has a great passion for helping troubled youth.
Pros
free lunch
No initial formal training
GLC (Former Employee) –  ColoradoFebruary 26, 2015
The kids are great and the "vision " they claim to have would be good if management cared more about the kids. I received no formal training and the kids knew that. Legal Procedures were not explained and the staff I worked with was not very helpful. I was told I would learn as I went along. For a locked facility, procedures need to be explained before you start your 14 hours a day of work. Very poorly managed.
Pros
the kids
Cons
management
Rewarding Career
Coach Counselor (Current Employee) –  Oracle, AZFebruary 6, 2015
Working with the kids can be a difficult challenge but rewarding at the end of the day. You work 3 full day and one half day. A full day is a 16 hour day, half day is 9 hour day. The site I work at there is a lot of people burning out fast. I believe do to the high stress levels not so much with the kids but the long working days with little sleep. The site I'm located at is going through restructuring. Management is working hard to change the work culture and properly train new employees.
Pros
seeing the attitudes of the kids change during there stay.
Cons
extremely long days. i am not able to see my family kids during the days i work for this company.
Great team environment
Group Leader/Coach Counselor (Former Employee) –  Watkins, COJanuary 7, 2015
Wonderful place to work with exceptional youth. Environment is clean, safe, but intensive. Great training and benefits, also salary is competitive for the industry. Expectations for staff are as high as for student/athletes. Management can be difficult to work with and there is a clear practice of favoritism.
Pros
great compensation and benies, exceptional work with youth
Cons
favoritism and gender bias
Case manager
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Queen Creek, AZDecember 13, 2014
A day in the life of a case manager at Rite of passage is challenging, yet rewarding. Working with youth and witnessing the growth of the children is an amazing process. Although, the youth's progress is rewarding, being acknowledged by management is also rewarding and unfortunately there is none in the work environment. It is quick to point out the wrong and seldom the good. Additionally, in this position the work is never complete and because of this, one leaves everyday feeling incomplete. Lastly, the management tends to not have worked in the position and does not understand what all it entails. Due to this, there is a lack of direction and additional duties assigned to a position where there is never enough time to complete already assigned duties.
nice job setting. I enjoyed working with the students, the staff were the difficult part..
Medical Department Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Andreas, CaliforniaDecember 8, 2014
The hardest part of the job was learning the political and good ol' boy mentality of the staff.
most amazing group of co-workers
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Watkins, COOctober 27, 2014
I admire the hard work and dedication me and my co workers demonstrate. This place of employment is good for those who like to work with a fun, energetic bunch. The hours are long and good relationships with the people are a must.
Pros
free food, place to sleep, get paid to workout
Cons
hours, pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rite of Passage. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9