Riverside Health System

Riverside Health System Employee Reviews

Resident oriented
LPN (Former Employee), Newport News, VaJuly 19, 2015
The company is awesome as a whole, geared towards patients being as comfortable as if they were at home. They remodeled facilities to mimic being home by having a household feel.
Riverside is a great organization
Administration (Current Employee), Newport News, VAMay 6, 2015
Pros: Strong leadership, aggressively positioning system for evolution in healthcare, lots of institutional knowledge, good culture
Cons: Subpar EMR systems, poor data management
Riverside is a great organization. Their leaders are highly approachable and are very engaged in their work. Familial culture and little in the way of organizational politics. They want to see you succeed.
Director of Clinical Transition (Former Employee), Newport News, VAApril 29, 2015
Supportive team, always looking to be the best in what they did for those that they served. While Our Lady of Mercy is no longer a functioning health System the people are still providing the same level of service.
Challenges
Clinical Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Parksley, VAApril 14, 2015
Pros: Good benefits
Cons: none to list
Learning how to prepare a master and working six week schedule can be rough but once you get the hang of it. It becomes less stressful.
An amazing place to start off as a new nurse. Lots to learn from and great co workers!
LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE (Former Employee), Newport News, VaJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: great co workers, positive work environment, great family members as well as residents.
Participates in assessing, planning, implementation, and evaluation of nursing care and provides for the emotional, physical comfort, and safety of the residents and their families. Medication administration, catheter care and maintenance, wound care, obtaining specimens, monitoring IV fluids, administering injections. Gastrostomy tube maintenance and care. Tracheostomy care and suctioning. Phlebotomy. Admit, discharge, and transfer residents as needed. Amazing co workers as well as patients. Very diverse work environment, with lots to learn and great ways to build nursing experience.
Good Place to Start a Career
Project Manager (Current Employee), Newport News, VANovember 29, 2014
Pros: good/friendly management
Cons: compensation
Good management, but benefits and compensation are somewhat lacking. Great place to gain experience and become seasoned.
Poor work environment
Staff RN (Former Employee), Newport NewsOctober 6, 2014
Pros: most staff are team players
Cons: poor staffing; mandatory overtime and call
A typical day at work on any one of the Women's units would include too many patients, not enough staff and lack of relief.

If you like mandatory overtime and mandatory call- then this is the place for you.
most enjoyable part of job
Clinical Systems Analyst (Current Employee), Newport News, VASeptember 17, 2014
Pros: sense of accomplishment, good benefits
Cons: non
directly contributing to riverside's care difference and bottom line which is to care for those as we would care for those we love.
Riverside Health System was an awesome employer to have worked with.
Medical Transcriptionist/Editor (Former Employee), Newport News, VASeptember 6, 2014
Pros: a lot of benefits to include being recognized for a job well done, bonuses and, yes, free meals and ability to work from home.
Cons: a difficult report requiring extra time to transcribe, dictators misnaming a type of report requiring editing the whole report.
The Management and Human Resources Departments always held their employees in their best interests. A typical day at work would be greeting co-workers, then getting down to the nitty-gritty of the day. Great emphasis was placed on teamwork and management was always easy to approach. One of the hardest part of my job was understanding foreign accent dictators which took a lot of patience and a lot of correspondence but would get easier with time. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with excellent co-workers who were willing to help at any time. Every employee that I had contact with, either at Riverside Walter Reed Hospital, Internal Medicine of Gloucester and Riverside Regional Medical Center were all a pleasure to work with.
long time employee and loving it
lab (Current Employee), WilliamsburgAugust 31, 2014
Pros: there for the patient
Cons: low pay benefits
I have been employed by this organization for approx 13 years. I have worked for a competitor for approx 3 weeks and nothing compares. I love working for RHS. True every organization has its faults. Pay is low compared to competitors and health insurance isnt all that great but after working in a very stressful environment in a competitors lab I came back to my home and family which was Riverside.
Great place to learn
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee), Newport News, VAAugust 25, 2014
Protocol driven respiratory department. Very busy hospital. I worked nightshift. staff is friendly.
Upbeat workplace
Patient Accounting- Customer Service (Current Employee), Newport News, VAAugust 21, 2014
Pros: full time
Cons: short breaks
A typical day at work involves constant communications with patients regarding a bill or eob they received and would like an understanding of. I learned that patience is a learned behavior. Management is amazing! They are always there to assist you and make things as easy as possible for you. My coworkers are fun loving and knowledgeable of their job. The hardest part of the job is when sometimes some patients don't fully understand the type of insurance they have and the contract that they are in. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I have one. Just kidding. It would be the fact that I can help people and/or someone everyday.
Culture is different from facility to facility, but health system human resources tries to train managers to be fair
Manager (Former Employee), Newport News, VAJuly 3, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: lack of trust amongst managment
Management at each facility operates differently. Found the mgmt. team at specific facilities to show favorites. It was difficult for some employees to work in these conditions and moral was very low. Employee surveys were pushed to gather feedback but employees were often afraid to share in fear of retaliation from their direct report at smaller facilities. Moral will remain low until this issue is addressed directly.
Productive workplace with friendly coworkers working together as a team
Sitter (Former Employee), Newport News, VAFebruary 27, 2014
Fun place to work, always something new going on. Management is great and super friendly! Learned the proper way to take care of a patient and how to maintain safety in a hospital environment.
It was worse than being back in highschool.
staff (Former Employee), Riverside Behavioral HealthJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: some very great people to work with
Cons: the great coworkers dont stay around long
Each location is different, so I can only comment on the behavioral health center when I say that I have never encountered such under-handed, unprofessional, and narcissistic displays of political behavior - and I'm from the northeast!
Despite the mandate to voice concerns and to suggest improvements, management lables vocal employees as "trouble makers" or "complainers" and then launches smear campaigns based on exaggeration, rumors, and poor communication to build grounds to terminate the employee.
If you choose to work there keep your head down, get EVERYTHING in writing, and keep records of ALL communication with management.
Good Experience
Office Assistant (Current Employee), Newport News, VAJanuary 18, 2014
A typical day on the job involves a lot of compassion and patience. The most enjoyable part of my day is being able to help someone. Not all interactions are favorable but when you get just one that expresses appreciation it makes it all worth it. To know that I had a hand it helping a patient get what they need is a reward in itself.
A good business
Dietary Attendant (Current Employee), Smithfield, VAJanuary 11, 2014
You have to know the setting you are comfortable in, but once you find a staff that you fit in with I believe Riverside is a good choice for employment
Wonderful work enviroment
Centralized Scheduler/Insurance Verication (Former Employee), Tappahannock, VADecember 13, 2013
Pros: job sercurity
Chained to a desk for scheduling. Not a negative, just very busy and fast pace. Everyone worked great together an coverage was nice and a team atmospher..Patient care was gradifing..
Riverside
Riverside (Former Employee), Newport News, VADecember 2, 2013
Great people to work with. Very good environment. I wish there was more upward mobility.
Fun relaxed place to work
Director of Rehabilitation - The Orchard (Current Employee), Newport News, VANovember 12, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: long distance from home
Bright and cheerful environment, very patient centered. I supervise two PT's, two OT's, and 1 SLP. Manage overall profitability, compliance, productivity, quality, and equipment.

Riverside Health System Salaries