Riverside Health System Employee Reviews

Needs to play catch-up in pay with rest of area
CT Technologist (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 15, 2016
First chance I got to leave I left. First offer at interview after working here for a year was $8 more an hour. They don't pay extra for flexis that have no benefits.
Pros
Nice New Equipment and Facilities, Safe Atmosphere, Great Food at Cafeteria
Cons
Horrible Pay and Benefits
I take patient calls and assist with their bills
Patient Accounting Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJanuary 12, 2016
Typical day includes taking between 40-50 calls about patient billing questions, concerns, and collecting payments. Also includes processing attorney requests and faxing over the information requested with provided authorization and release of information.
Run from this place!!!!
Environmental service aid/laundry attendant (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 6, 2016
I worked in this department for over three years and it was always short staff the entire time I was there. The supervisor for this department is not a team player and does not help with the already overload work assignment. The pay is extremely low for the work that you do. Management is a joke there is a lot of favoritism. It's like dealing with people from high school, very unprofessional. This place left a bad taste in Riverside as an overall company. Other facilities is not like this one in particular but run as far from this place as possible. Instead consider going to the main hospital or the Gardens
Management support
Director of Nursing, Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Point, VADecember 1, 2015
5 star, wonderful support from DON and Administrator which enabled me to do the job required with no disruption to the DON office. With their support I was confident in doing the job. The corporate team was very helpful as well, especially with the Human Resources side of my responsibilities. The building was a relatively comfortable place to work.
Pros
Was not micro managed
Cons
Not enough centralization of resources
Productive and a fast paced fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Denbigh, VANovember 22, 2015
Fun work place with not much down time, as expected. Very fast paced and organized. This job facility has a comfortable environment, and very likeable employees.
Pros
Fun, Informational, occasional breaks
Cons
Charged for lunch, work overload
Family oriented workplace with great work life balance
Nursing Home Administrator (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 7, 2015
A company that promotes growth and advancement. A job where I feel I make a difference everyday in someone's life. Rewarding company!
Great Place to Work
AR ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Newport News VAOctober 30, 2015
At Life Long Health, I enjoy working here and my co-workers are very nice and we all work as an team to get the job done. My management is very easy to get along with and they listen to you when you have an problem.
Pros
We celebration birthdays and holidays
Cons
Great places
Alright place to work
Registration Clerk (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 30, 2015
Working at Riverside as a whole isn't that bad. I do believe that management could be different and that there is a lot of favoritism and drama.
One of the most forward thinking organizations
Director of Recreation Therapy (Former Employee) –  Warsaw, VASeptember 8, 2015
Riverside Hospital Systems as a Non Profit organization with a focus on the future of health care. My experience there was nothing less then great! Riverside was a wonderful place to work with a focus on health care for persons 55 years of age and Older. Leadership encouraged to think out side the box, and focus on the future of Health care for persons 55 and older.
Pros
Innovative
Daily professional environment, always absorbing information pertaining to my position.
Business Office Associate/Coder (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 26, 2015
Fabulous co-workers, team work, allowed to utilize my knowledge and education. The hardest part of my job was not given access to data and/or training necessary when changes were made.
Pros
Work independantly, employees worked well together
Cons
Not enough ongoing training in the ever changing medical environment
Vickie Izzo
Recruitment Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newport News/HamptonJuly 19, 2015
Given the opportunity I would love to show you how my knowledge and experience will benefit the your company. I will learn every aspect of the organizations policies, procedures and open positions in order to bring you the best candidates possible.
Resident oriented
LPN (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VaJuly 19, 2015
The company is awesome as a whole, geared towards patients being as comfortable as if they were at home. They remodeled facilities to mimic being home by having a household feel.
Riverside is a great organization
Administration (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 6, 2015
Riverside is a great organization. Their leaders are highly approachable and are very engaged in their work. Familial culture and little in the way of organizational politics. They want to see you succeed.
Pros
Strong leadership, aggressively positioning system for evolution in healthcare, lots of institutional knowledge, good culture
Cons
Subpar EMR systems, poor data management
Director of Clinical Transition (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 29, 2015
Supportive team, always looking to be the best in what they did for those that they served. While Our Lady of Mercy is no longer a functioning health System the people are still providing the same level of service.
Challenges
Clinical Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Parksley, VAApril 14, 2015
Learning how to prepare a master and working six week schedule can be rough but once you get the hang of it. It becomes less stressful.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
none to list
An amazing place to start off as a new nurse. Lots to learn from and great co workers!
LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VaJanuary 29, 2015
Participates in assessing, planning, implementation, and evaluation of nursing care and provides for the emotional, physical comfort, and safety of the residents and their families. Medication administration, catheter care and maintenance, wound care, obtaining specimens, monitoring IV fluids, administering injections. Gastrostomy tube maintenance and care. Tracheostomy care and suctioning. Phlebotomy. Admit, discharge, and transfer residents as needed. Amazing co workers as well as patients. Very diverse work environment, with lots to learn and great ways to build nursing experience.
Pros
great co workers, positive work environment, great family members as well as residents.
Good Place to Start a Career
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 29, 2014
Good management, but benefits and compensation are somewhat lacking. Great place to gain experience and become seasoned.
Pros
good/friendly management
Cons
compensation
Poor work environment
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Newport NewsOctober 6, 2014
A typical day at work on any one of the Women's units would include too many patients, not enough staff and lack of relief.

If you like mandatory overtime and mandatory call- then this is the place for you.
Pros
most staff are team players
Cons
poor staffing; mandatory overtime and call
most enjoyable part of job
Clinical Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 17, 2014
directly contributing to riverside's care difference and bottom line which is to care for those as we would care for those we love.
Pros
sense of accomplishment, good benefits
Cons
non
Riverside Health System was an awesome employer to have worked with.
Medical Transcriptionist/Editor (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VASeptember 6, 2014
The Management and Human Resources Departments always held their employees in their best interests. A typical day at work would be greeting co-workers, then getting down to the nitty-gritty of the day. Great emphasis was placed on teamwork and management was always easy to approach. One of the hardest part of my job was understanding foreign accent dictators which took a lot of patience and a lot of correspondence but would get easier with time. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with excellent co-workers who were willing to help at any time. Every employee that I had contact with, either at Riverside Walter Reed Hospital, Internal Medicine of Gloucester and Riverside Regional Medical Center were all a pleasure to work with.
Pros
a lot of benefits to include being recognized for a job well done, bonuses and, yes, free meals and ability to work from home.
Cons
a difficult report requiring extra time to transcribe, dictators misnaming a type of report requiring editing the whole report.