RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co

RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co Employee Reviews in United States

Professional Letdown
IT Dept (Former Employee) –  Winston SalemNovember 20, 2015
I was an employee at RJR and could not think of a worse work environment or workplace to be a part of. This company offers you little training in your role, has unrealistic expectations and deadlines within the IT dept. and has a hostile and racist culture I have never seen before. There have been minority employees in the same role for many years without being considered for any promotions whatsoever, all the while other non-minority employees coming in from other non-related departments and fields that were unrelated to the IT dept. got consistent raises and/or promotions almost every 2 years. I would not encourage any one who is a minority to come to this company. Bad culture, bad management, extra thick glass ceiling for minorities. The belief is that if you are a minority there that you should just be happy that they have employed you or else.
Pros
Professionalism
Cons
Management structure, Culture, Diversity in management, Unfair treatment towards minorities
Great place to start for new grads
Territory Manager/ Trade Marketing (Current Employee) –  Northglenn, COJanuary 4, 2016
Its a great company with an awesome culture. You will have a lot of great experience while you're there. You will learn a lot from a 500 fortune company. A lot of room to grow if you are looking for a long term career.
Pros
a lot of great benefits
Cons
work life balance is not good.
Great company that looks after their people
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  ColoradoDecember 26, 2015
The company takes care of their employees and makes sure that your well-being is put first. They have a great benefits structure and if you work hard you will be promoted.

Management was fantastic as they made the culture a high performing environment.
Interviewed for job
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 30, 2016
Went through this long process to be hired (3 Weeks). Did a Day in the trade and the regional manager did not like me because I new more about RJ Reynolds history than he did. Also he was a weak salesperson and the whole district is losing space for combustibles and snuff. I think it was a big mistake not hiring me. I had more experience in sales and customer relations than he can ever dream of.
Pros
Car and Cell phone.
Cons
Poor sales programs. Upper Management thinks their better than everyone.
No Work Life Balance
Territory Manager / Trade Marketing (Current Employee) –  TexasOctober 6, 2015
Micro Management Over Worked,Heavy work load, and promotions are based on who you know. Use to be a great place to work however, will not refer any of my friends or family.
Benefits
Cons
Direct Managers
Merchandised in chain accounts
Retail Representative (Former Employee) –  Winston Salem NCOctober 23, 2015
I was responsible for making retail calls in chains. My accountablities was merchandising to make sure product was instore. Really liked my team members. The company management was well informed on direction in work environment. Received awards for Rookie of the Year and Most Valuable Person of the year for 2 years.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
downsized
tobacco sales
Territory Manager III (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 15, 2015
High performing culture
Flexible work life balance
Very little training, responsible for your own development
Declining MARKET
Great benefits/ descent compensation
Job Summary
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMay 31, 2016
Great company to work for. I had a lot of support. This industry is ALWAYS changing. It can be stressful at some times but great company all around. Can't be afraid to ask questions and they always provide training which is great.
Pros
flexibility, own boss, benefits, salary
Cons
changing industry, many stores, variety of personalities
High Marks for RJR
Boxbuilder (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJuly 30, 2015
I enjoyed working at RJR. I got to learn the process of how the tobacco product is blended, sent through a wet, then drying process. The finished product is then sent to what is called the stock chest where there are two chargers that alternate to fill the boxes. The boxes are brought to the scales at the platform by conveyer where they are weighed and shipped out. I would say the hardest part of this job was dealing with the extreme heat, temperatures at times reaching 110 degrees. I mostly enjoyed working the platform as it was more mentally challenging for me.
I couldn't have asked for better co-workers or people in management to work with. We all worked very well together as a team to ensure that production was a success every 12 hours of our four-day week.
Pros
Loved the management & their sincerity and pride they take in their jobs
Cons
The heat and the job so physically draining at times
not a hard job
Territory Manager Level 3 (Former Employee) –  grand rapids, miOctober 6, 2015
it was ok, good pay. managers were short sighted. company struggled in competing with Philip morris. had to buy another competitor in order to survive. sales are steadily dropping and they are struggling to make enough money to pacify stock holders.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
management
My work history covers many different types of jobs
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCOctober 31, 2015
I worked for RJR for 25 years and enjoyed working with the all
of my jobs, it was a wonderful company to work for.
I took early retirement when they started downsizing.
Since my reirement I have done several things, I ran and owned
a gift shop and after that went into florist business and enjoyed
meeting and helping customers with flower orders,after closing
florist I have been doing demos for different company's, I am a people
person and like doing this type of work, it is enjoyable to meet
and talk with people while giving and talking about the samples.
Tobacco Company Craziness
Merchandiser and Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 21, 2014
The Tobacco business is very competitive even with your co-workers. This job requires a lot of travel and a fair amount of overnight business trips to be able to manage the territory you are assigned. Sells and Promotions change often so visiting accounts often is necessary. R.J.Reynolds provides great benefits and pay. Most positions come with company vehicles and expense accounts. Employees have a regional office they can report to but most clerical work is handled from home. If you can handle the fast paced and competitive nature of the work this is a good career.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
a lot of travel
Great place to start a career
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston RegionMay 27, 2013
This company is a great place to start a career since they give you a company car with pretty good benefits but advancement is far and few between. Hard work/life balance even though the company preaches that this needs to be better but they don't do anything about it. Every year at panels they expect you to keep piling more on your plate however if someone does less than you but had lower expectations, they'll get a higher rating than you which means they'll get a higher bonus.
Pros
company car, cell allowance, internet allowance, 401k, health
Cons
few advancement opportunities, work/life balance isn't there, expect you to do more every single year.
Okay Job
Line Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tobaccoville, NCFebruary 5, 2016
It's was a job before I enlisted in the army. Wasn't too stressful nor demanding. Pretty good working environment. I would work there again if I had too.
very productive
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 22, 2015
This was a wonderful atmosphere, a lot of traveling and meeting new people.
I learned how to promote a product, elevate a brand and promote the productivity of my team.
The hardest part of the job was working day and night without a break.
The most enjoyable part of the job was having creativity and being trusted to promote the brand.
a typical day going to the clients business, setting up and promoting the product.
At night the promotions included club signage and advertising at concerts
Great Place to work
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  South Plainfield, NJApril 7, 2015
You don't have to worry about a boss on your back daily, you get to control your day and you are empowered to make decisions that will benefit your territory. I learned how to manage my day without supervision, reach out to teammates for assistance/decision making and to maximize my relationships to ensure that I am getting the best out of any circumstance.
Pros
work life balance/ advancement opportunities
Cons
hard to relocate
Forklift skill stand up an seated Electric and Protane
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Salem, NCSeptember 25, 2015
Forklift inspection before operating load trucks unload 45-1 hour always looking booth ways safety first motivational place to work very friendly scanner bulk orders
Pros
Company Gym
Cons
Benefits are wonderful
A solid job
Trade Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 8, 2015
I work for RJ Reynolds for 7 years. The job is basically fighting for merchandising space and consumer engagements. Evil industry.
Fun but intense job
Senior Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCFebruary 27, 2015
I was responsible for specific territories over the course of my employment with RJ Reynolds. This involved negotiating for new contracts with tobacco outlets. Making sure that the sets on the rack were in compliance with the current marketing strategies and tried to convince store personnel to maintain this compliance.

Made sure that pricing was fair and competitive for our tobacco products. I also managed other teams to help get sets done across the territory.

The hardest part of the job was convincing people to maintain the sets in the store after I left the premises.

I truly enjoyed working with the people, both team mates and store personnel.
Pros
company car and flexible schedule
Cons
the marketing strategies were very difficult get implemented across the territory.
Great Company
Rework/ Unit Clean (Current Employee) –  tobaccoville/King North carolinaAugust 25, 2014
RJR is a great company. Great benefits, job security, job culture and management.