RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co Employee Reviews

Worse place you can possibly work.
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJanuary 21, 2017
The management was abusive, inconsistent, and no where near realistic production goals. They cared nothing for their customers. It was embarrassing how badly customer service treated the customer. Compensation did not match the cost of living where we were required to work (our assigned territories).

The stress imposed caused health issues I had never experienced with any other employer, infections, hair loss and carpal tunnel. The trauma of working there took me over six months to get back to feeling normal and healthy again. Several team members showed signs of stress with crying episodes, eye twitching, hands shaking, short tempers and depression.
Productive and fun workplace
Field Rep (Brand Ambassador) (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 16, 2016
Great people and job!Always offers ideas to solve problems based on good information and sound judgment.
Displays initiative and enthusiasm during everyday work.
Conducts research or seeks counsel of experts to gather information needed in making actual decisions.
What I learned
Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 28, 2016
I loved negotiating new contracts. I learned that you must try to put yourself in the shoes of the business owner. You will not be successful unless you find a real way to bring value to a relationship. I also learned that you must stay humble. This company spends a lot of time on training. I learned to appreciate the time and efforts of those around me.
Pros
Never ending learning experience
Cons
Time with co-workers is limited
terrible work/home life balance
TM III (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 5, 2016
Not willing to work with you on relocation for medical reasons, even when there are openings. I was told multiple times when there was an opening i could be transferred. That was not true, i was denied 3 times to relocate. instead i had to drive every weekend hours for medical treatment.
Great benefits and pay
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 7, 2016
Great company atmosphere, good place to work, constant training and team members were very helpful. Management was not so helpful, very critical and have superior complex.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
superiority complex with managers
Summer Marketing Internship
Consumer Marketing Intern, Camel Brand (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCSeptember 15, 2016
Overall a great internship experience, you will get to learn alot about the company and be exposed to many things. Management can not be transparent all the time.
Fair and fun work place.
Production Associate/Training Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tobaccoville, NCSeptember 16, 2016
Loved this job. I bought four homes and was able to travel to nice places. I was also able to get my three daughters through college.
Pros
all good
Cons
no complaints
Job Summary
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMay 31, 2016
Great company to work for. I had a lot of support. This industry is ALWAYS changing. It can be stressful at some times but great company all around. Can't be afraid to ask questions and they always provide training which is great.
Pros
flexibility, own boss, benefits, salary
Cons
changing industry, many stores, variety of personalities
Exciting fast paced sales/marketing position
Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 28, 2016
Visit outlets in defined territory. Work with great people. Fun job that changes day to day. Very autonomous position, learned to set priorities and became a very organized professional.

Hardest part of the job: Managing time to complete all necessary tasks.

Most enjoyable part: Meeting great people from coworkers, store owners, consumers, and managers.
Pros
Set your own schedule, learn how to run a territory
Cons
Very high expectations, sometimes you can't possibly get everything done.
Good Job
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2016
Good company to work for. however management was not good, the managers here have a superiority complex.Good benefits, freedom and good pay, very hard work.
Interviewed for job
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 30, 2016
Went through this long process to be hired (3 Weeks). Did a Day in the trade and the regional manager did not like me because I new more about RJ Reynolds history than he did. Also he was a weak salesperson and the whole district is losing space for combustibles and snuff. I think it was a big mistake not hiring me. I had more experience in sales and customer relations than he can ever dream of.
Pros
Car and Cell phone.
Cons
Poor sales programs. Upper Management thinks their better than everyone.
Great place to start for new grads
Territory Manager/ Trade Marketing (Current Employee) –  Northglenn, COJanuary 4, 2016
Its a great company with an awesome culture. You will have a lot of great experience while you're there. You will learn a lot from a 500 fortune company. A lot of room to grow if you are looking for a long term career.
Pros
a lot of great benefits
Cons
work life balance is not good.
My work history covers many different types of jobs
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCOctober 31, 2015
I worked for RJR for 25 years and enjoyed working with the all
of my jobs, it was a wonderful company to work for.
I took early retirement when they started downsizing.
Since my reirement I have done several things, I ran and owned
a gift shop and after that went into florist business and enjoyed
meeting and helping customers with flower orders,after closing
florist I have been doing demos for different company's, I am a people
person and like doing this type of work, it is enjoyable to meet
and talk with people while giving and talking about the samples.
Great company that looks after their people
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  ColoradoDecember 26, 2015
The company takes care of their employees and makes sure that your well-being is put first. They have a great benefits structure and if you work hard you will be promoted.

Management was fantastic as they made the culture a high performing environment.
Merchandised in chain accounts
Retail Representative (Former Employee) –  Winston Salem NCOctober 23, 2015
I was responsible for making retail calls in chains. My accountablities was merchandising to make sure product was instore. Really liked my team members. The company management was well informed on direction in work environment. Received awards for Rookie of the Year and Most Valuable Person of the year for 2 years.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
downsized
Professional Letdown
IT Dept (Former Employee) –  Winston SalemNovember 20, 2015
I was an employee at RJR and could not think of a worse work environment or workplace to be a part of. This company offers you little training in your role, has unrealistic expectations and deadlines within the IT dept. and has a hostile and racist culture I have never seen before. There have been minority employees in the same role for many years without being considered for any promotions whatsoever, all the while other non-minority employees coming in from other non-related departments and fields that were unrelated to the IT dept. got consistent raises and/or promotions almost every 2 years. I would not encourage any one who is a minority to come to this company. Bad culture, bad management, extra thick glass ceiling for minorities. The belief is that if you are a minority there that you should just be happy that they have employed you or else.
Pros
Professionalism
Cons
Management structure, Culture, Diversity in management, Unfair treatment towards minorities
very productive
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 22, 2015
This was a wonderful atmosphere, a lot of traveling and meeting new people.
I learned how to promote a product, elevate a brand and promote the productivity of my team.
The hardest part of the job was working day and night without a break.
The most enjoyable part of the job was having creativity and being trusted to promote the brand.
a typical day going to the clients business, setting up and promoting the product.
At night the promotions included club signage and advertising at concerts
Lead and managed 10-member team of territory managers charged with driving new business growth.
Senior Division MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Bay AreaJuly 19, 2015
Typically 4 of 5 working days are spent at retail coaching Territory Managers, meeting with key marketplace customers and engaging consumers on our products. The Region covers Northern California and has eight Senior Level Managers. There is nothing in my current position that I find overly difficult. I enjoy the people I manage and the customers I work with.
Pros
I enjoy going to work each day.
Cons
National pay scale for Senior Managers; however limited pay adjustment based on Bay Area Living
not a hard job
Territory Manager Level 3 (Former Employee) –  grand rapids, miOctober 6, 2015
it was ok, good pay. managers were short sighted. company struggled in competing with Philip morris. had to buy another competitor in order to survive. sales are steadily dropping and they are struggling to make enough money to pacify stock holders.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
management
Okay Job
Line Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tobaccoville, NCFebruary 5, 2016
It's was a job before I enlisted in the army. Wasn't too stressful nor demanding. Pretty good working environment. I would work there again if I had too.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co. Our community is ready to answer.