RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co

RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co Employee Reviews

Great benefits and pay
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 7, 2016
Great company atmosphere, good place to work, constant training and team members were very helpful. Management was not so helpful, very critical and have superior complex.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
superiority complex with managers
Good Job
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2016
Good company to work for. however management was not good, the managers here have a superiority complex.Good benefits, freedom and good pay, very hard work.
Professional Letdown
IT Dept (Former Employee) –  Winston SalemNovember 20, 2015
I was an employee at RJR and could not think of a worse work environment or workplace to be a part of. This company offers you little training in your role, has unrealistic expectations and deadlines within the IT dept. and has a hostile and racist culture I have never seen before. There have been minority employees in the same role for many years without being considered for any promotions whatsoever, all the while other non-minority employees coming in from other non-related departments and fields that were unrelated to the IT dept. got consistent raises and/or promotions almost every 2 years. I would not encourage any one who is a minority to come to this company. Bad culture, bad management, extra thick glass ceiling for minorities. The belief is that if you are a minority there that you should just be happy that they have employed you or else.
Pros
Professionalism
Cons
Management structure, Culture, Diversity in management, Unfair treatment towards minorities
Summer Marketing Internship
Consumer Marketing Intern, Camel Brand (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCSeptember 15, 2016
Overall a great internship experience, you will get to learn alot about the company and be exposed to many things. Management can not be transparent all the time.
Job Summary
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMay 31, 2016
Great company to work for. I had a lot of support. This industry is ALWAYS changing. It can be stressful at some times but great company all around. Can't be afraid to ask questions and they always provide training which is great.
Pros
flexibility, own boss, benefits, salary
Cons
changing industry, many stores, variety of personalities
Great place to start for new grads
Territory Manager/ Trade Marketing (Current Employee) –  Northglenn, COJanuary 4, 2016
Its a great company with an awesome culture. You will have a lot of great experience while you're there. You will learn a lot from a 500 fortune company. A lot of room to grow if you are looking for a long term career.
Pros
a lot of great benefits
Cons
work life balance is not good.
Great company that looks after their people
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  ColoradoDecember 26, 2015
The company takes care of their employees and makes sure that your well-being is put first. They have a great benefits structure and if you work hard you will be promoted.

Management was fantastic as they made the culture a high performing environment.
Productive and fun workplace
Field Rep (Brand Ambassador) (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 16, 2016
Great people and job!Always offers ideas to solve problems based on good information and sound judgment.
Displays initiative and enthusiasm during everyday work.
Conducts research or seeks counsel of experts to gather information needed in making actual decisions.
Interviewed for job
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 30, 2016
Went through this long process to be hired (3 Weeks). Did a Day in the trade and the regional manager did not like me because I new more about RJ Reynolds history than he did. Also he was a weak salesperson and the whole district is losing space for combustibles and snuff. I think it was a big mistake not hiring me. I had more experience in sales and customer relations than he can ever dream of.
Pros
Car and Cell phone.
Cons
Poor sales programs. Upper Management thinks their better than everyone.
terrible work/home life balance
TM III (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 5, 2016
Not willing to work with you on relocation for medical reasons, even when there are openings. I was told multiple times when there was an opening i could be transferred. That was not true, i was denied 3 times to relocate. instead i had to drive every weekend hours for medical treatment.
What I learned
Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 28, 2016
I loved negotiating new contracts. I learned that you must try to put yourself in the shoes of the business owner. You will not be successful unless you find a real way to bring value to a relationship. I also learned that you must stay humble. This company spends a lot of time on training. I learned to appreciate the time and efforts of those around me.
Pros
Never ending learning experience
Cons
Time with co-workers is limited
Good company to work for learned a lot about the machine I worked on.
Packer (Current Employee) –  Tobaccoville, NCOctober 20, 2016
Good company to work for learned al ot about the machine I worked on. I wished they would consider bringing me back on light dutie
Pros
Insurance
Cons
No light duty
Fair and fun work place.
Production Associate/Training Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tobaccoville, NCSeptember 16, 2016
Loved this job. I bought four homes and was able to travel to nice places. I was also able to get my three daughters through college.
Pros
all good
Cons
no complaints
No Work Life Balance
Territory Manager / Trade Marketing (Current Employee) –  TexasOctober 6, 2015
Micro Management Over Worked,Heavy work load, and promotions are based on who you know. Use to be a great place to work however, will not refer any of my friends or family.
Benefits
Cons
Direct Managers
Great place to start a career
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston RegionMay 27, 2013
This company is a great place to start a career since they give you a company car with pretty good benefits but advancement is far and few between. Hard work/life balance even though the company preaches that this needs to be better but they don't do anything about it. Every year at panels they expect you to keep piling more on your plate however if someone does less than you but had lower expectations, they'll get a higher rating than you which means they'll get a higher bonus.
Pros
company car, cell allowance, internet allowance, 401k, health
Cons
Few advancement opportunities, work/life balance isn't there, expect you to do more every single year.
Exciting fast paced sales/marketing position
Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 28, 2016
Visit outlets in defined territory. Work with great people. Fun job that changes day to day. Very autonomous position, learned to set priorities and became a very organized professional.

Hardest part of the job: Managing time to complete all necessary tasks.

Most enjoyable part: Meeting great people from coworkers, store owners, consumers, and managers.
Pros
Set your own schedule, learn how to run a territory
Cons
Very high expectations, sometimes you can't possibly get everything done.
Tobacco Company Craziness
Merchandiser and Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 21, 2014
The Tobacco business is very competitive even with your co-workers. This job requires a lot of travel and a fair amount of overnight business trips to be able to manage the territory you are assigned. Sells and Promotions change often so visiting accounts often is necessary. R.J.Reynolds provides great benefits and pay. Most positions come with company vehicles and expense accounts. Employees have a regional office they can report to but most clerical work is handled from home. If you can handle the fast paced and competitive nature of the work this is a good career.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
A lot of travel
Merchandised in chain accounts
Retail Representative (Former Employee) –  Winston Salem NCOctober 23, 2015
I was responsible for making retail calls in chains. My accountablities was merchandising to make sure product was instore. Really liked my team members. The company management was well informed on direction in work environment. Received awards for Rookie of the Year and Most Valuable Person of the year for 2 years.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
downsized
tobacco sales
Territory Manager III (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 15, 2015
High performing culture
Flexible work life balance
Very little training, responsible for your own development
Declining MARKET
Great benefits/ descent compensation
High Marks for RJR
Boxbuilder (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJuly 30, 2015
I enjoyed working at RJR. I got to learn the process of how the tobacco product is blended, sent through a wet, then drying process. The finished product is then sent to what is called the stock chest where there are two chargers that alternate to fill the boxes. The boxes are brought to the scales at the platform by conveyer where they are weighed and shipped out. I would say the hardest part of this job was dealing with the extreme heat, temperatures at times reaching 110 degrees. I mostly enjoyed working the platform as it was more mentally challenging for me.
I couldn't have asked for better co-workers or people in management to work with. We all worked very well together as a team to ensure that production was a success every 12 hours of our four-day week.
Pros
Loved the management & their sincerity and pride they take in their jobs
Cons
The heat and the job so physically draining at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co. Our community is ready to answer.