ROAD & RAIL SERVICES Employee Reviews in United States

Productivity
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Melvindale, MIMay 8, 2016
The job opened up many travel and advancement opportunities within the company for me. They sent me to several states to work in various yards, an opportunity not afforded to all employees. Additionally, I moved up the ranks throughout my time with the company.
easy money
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 28, 2016
The pay is decent, the work was easy, decent hours, the managers & supervisors were cool, they provide good benefits, all the co-workers were friendly
Good company
Car Unloader and Inspector (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 1, 2016
Shaw is a good company to work for. A lot of opportunities with this company worldwide. Besides them losing the contract where I worked, I would say my experience here was good.
This was an amazing place to work at.
Assembly Line Worker/ Shuttle Driver (Former Employee) –  Vance, ALOctober 30, 2015
Everyday i went to work I had a smile on my face. I was never the type to ruin someone's day, I always brightened up someone's day, even the Supervisor's. My co-worker was very good friends to me. I never had a problem with anyone. I must say the hardest part of the job was when I first started, i was a little difficult learning the locations to park the cars.
Good company
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PASeptember 25, 2015
Sad to say that they are leaving the Harrisburg area.

It is sad to a company that is losing its contract and all the employees losing a career.
place sucked because of management
Trailer inspecter, mechanic,forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILSeptember 15, 2015
management would lie just to get what they wanted and would make false promises. they would hire you for one job put you on another and say they will pay you more or they would not put you back on what you where hired for and never keep there word.
Pros
awesome crew that you work with sucks they are getting screwed
Cons
union that doesn't help and management that is very dishonest
A waste of time
vehicle handler (Former Employee) –  New OrleansSeptember 7, 2015
$13/hr sounds good but you only get 20 or less hours a week which equals $200 check. yard manager suppose to keep fridge stocked with water and Gatorade, treats us to lunch but rarely did. Just total bs job. Only take this job if you're desperate.
Pros
There are none
Cons
pay, management, short lunches, no breaks, low hours, low pay
welder
Okay to contact supervisor (Former Employee) –  Queen City, TXJuly 23, 2015
 Train car prepped make sure the train is ready and clean.
 Welding on side sheet or door of the train with 7018 rods.
 Certified on the forks tuck and pass welding test.
long hours, all weather conditions
Management (Current Employee) –  Granite City, ILApril 29, 2015
You can move up at Road & rail, it just takes time. But I don't believe it is worth moving up.

On call 24/7. Extremely long hours with no relief over the week ends. If you are scheduled to work the weekend, be prepared to be there morning & night chasing trains. If you have to be there for 30 hours straight...sorry for your bad luck, maybe next weekend will be better...but if not....sorry & welcome to the team.

It takes a long time to be able to advance in the company.
Pros
free lunches when they remember to give it to you.
Cons
it's doesn't matter if it is pouring down heavy rain, sleet, 7 inches of snow, you will still be out there.
Not a place for people with a life
Shuttler (Current Employee) –  OhioMarch 5, 2015
The only good thing about the job is the people you work with. I currently work here and we work 11 hour days 6 to 7 days a week. Management has no compassion. You get 4 sick days without a note a year and 3 doctors notes that can cover 3 days each in a year that's it. This job is not for people who have a family or wish to have a life.
Pros
people and pay
Cons
management, no time off, favoritism
Easy Work place.
Shuttle Driver (Current Employee) –  Marysville, OHJanuary 14, 2015
A typical day at work would be to have a safety meeting then head out to move cars that the place is producing.
I learned how to work with different kinds of people, anywhere from moody to happy.
Management out at Road & Rail wasn't the best. They do not know how to work with people and problems that occur.
The workers out at road and rail are fun to work with, they are a very close and family work group.
I would say the hardest part about working there would be the weather.
The greatest part about working at road and rail would be the worker, everyone is very close.
Pros
warm vans, fun people, 1 great supervisor
Cons
benefits, changing rules, unfair management, bad weather gear given to us.
the worst place I've ever worked
terminal manager (Former Employee) –  east point gaDecember 9, 2014
This probably one of the worst companies I've ever worked for the communication between the employees and management are terrible road and rail takes no responsibility for any mistakes made by their management the employee is always at fault no matter what the situation Is I strongly advise you not to waste your time with this company there is absolutely no benefit here it is a waste of time and the pay sucks I'd rather work at McDonalds for less Then to work for road and rail and be stressed and another thing they constantly find a way to steal money from all their employees so I strongly advise anyone who works for this company to constantly check their time. management is nothing but a bunch of a#$holes that think they know everything but don't know anything because they're not doing the job you just can't win at road and rail
Ok job pays the bills and takes care of family for the most part
Team Lead/ Trainer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 27, 2014
A typical day at work begins with a safety briefing before entering the work floor pretty much freelance. I've learned the political scheme when it comes to management and how dirty things can get. Management is ok favoritism is rapid but I guess that's with any job now days. Co-workers are fun to work with most of the time besides the mess and backstabbing that happens occasionally. Hardest part of the job is the weather cause you are working outside. Most enjoyable part of the job is your paycheck and the people you work with.
This place sucks
Trackman (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg,SCAugust 31, 2014
Poor management, the pay sucks for what you do ! If you like being away from your family and kids on a short notice and be gone for weeks at a time then you will like this job. The bennifits and insurance are poor,the work environment is vary poor and they could care less about there employees as long as they get there's !
Vehicle Loader
VEHICLE HANDLER (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 21, 2014
If you want fast cash this company would fit your needs. As a college student in need of money i joined this company where my duties performed on loading the brand new toyota tundras and tacomas into the raild cars. The job is very demanding and physical since it is performed on an outdoor environment, but the supervisors and managers are great people who actually care about your safety. If you prove to be a hard worker definitely have areas of opportunity,
Pros
free lunches once per month, safety bonus check award and gatorade
Cons
long hour shifts per day
ok place to work
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, TXJune 2, 2014
management is ok i feel like sometimes i get asked to do stupid things that don't make any since but thats pretty much anywhere else i guess the ppl i work with are great group of guys work is pretty steady I'm from the oilfield so its a huge pay difference but its stable and allows me to be home every night
No job security. Pay not great.
Lead Assembly/Train Inspector (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 30, 2014
It's not a career job. The pay is not the greatest for what you have to deal with. The work load/volume has gone way down in the last couple years. The benefits are not great. Some of the management is ok. I'm not sure how long the company will be around much longer.
Easiest hardest job you will ever have
Vehicle handler (Former Employee) –  Princeton , INApril 18, 2014
I worked at road and rail for two months during those 60 days it was the most mentally straining time of my life . It was really the easiest job I've ever had loading brand new cars onto rail cars . But management sucked , refused to realize the work made for 8 people isn't what 3 people should be doing . In a span of 2 months I saw road and rail go from 8 loaders to 3 and then refuse to hire more people because they didn't want to .

There was no schedule everything is top secret if you ask a question you should plan on being either talked down to or told that knowing these things is not in your pay scale .

I took this job because #1 I am a college student so 14 an hour sounded pretty good. #2 it was supposed to be full time but I haven't ever seen the likes of 40 hours in the two months since being there . I left for a job that paid a dollar less but offered me everything that road and rail didn't have . The benefits suck you have a "401k" which they don't match so you basically have a savings account . Health insurance is not good for the conditions that we work through snow,rain, and storms causing colds flu and everything in between. You had to have a doctors note for everyday missed but when your barely making 200 a week and work "full time" you couldn't afford the cost for the note . It was legitimately the easiest job I've ever had but when the lack of management common sense and the hours 25-32 to every week being full time something had to change.
Pros
learning about the railroad
Cons
management, insurance, hours
This place is an absolute joke!
vehicle handler (Current Employee) –  Princeton, INMarch 10, 2014
401K, but they don't match at all (is that even a 401K?), forced to work all weekend, then get calls during the week that there's no work, have to pay for your uniforms pants, bosses are idiots with no managerial skills whatsoever, pay period starts on a wednesday and ends on tuesday, so you work the weekend with no overtime pay, forced to work more than 2 hours between breaks.
Pros
it's a job if you're very very desperate.
Cons
read the above description
No chance to advance
labor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 2, 2014
Dead end job. No room to advance at that place. you only move up so far then you hit a wall.

2.8