ROAD & RAIL SERVICES Employee Reviews

Easy work. Nice pay. Bad management
Vehicle Shuttler (Former Employee) –  Vance, ALMay 22, 2017
I worked in plant 1 and plant 2 and ended up moving to shuttle. Some of the people can get on your nerves if you let them. With all the drama that goes on it kinda feels like highschool. A lot of females work there. Shuttle is very easy if you know where you're going and how to park correctly. If hired for shuttle you will probably go in the plant at least once if the plant is short of workers.
Pros
Plenty overtime, free safety lunch every month, good incentives and bonuses, good raises.
Cons
Bad management, supervisors take word of team leaders, hard to advance if not "friends" with supervisor
productive and dangerous
Locomotive Engineer/Conductor (Current Employee) –  Fairburn, GAFebruary 16, 2017
A typical day at work varies depending on train arrival and departure times. learned how to build trains. management are good to employees.Work place Culture is busy. The hardest part of the day is building trains to get out on scheduled times. most enjoyable is getting trains out on time.
Pros
3 1/2 days off a week.
Cons
not a lot of overtime.
Potentially a good job if several things were changed
Vehicle Shuttler (Former Employee) –  Vance, ALDecember 16, 2016
Typical day consists of shuttling cars to various locations around property... not rocket science.

Management is the worst I have seen at any job I've ever had... This will be what loses the contract for this company. Managers show favoritism

Co-workers are great, although some thrive off drama and unnecessary BS.
Pros
Often give out overtime
Cons
short breaks, short lunch, poor management, poor organization, favoritism
Decent job
Shuttler (Former Employee) –  Marysville, OHDecember 6, 2016
Very good Job to have. It is more of a job then a career . People are fun to work with. Management is good for what they have to work with. With the exception of one who rides around and eats popcorn all day and doesn't care about the employees unless someone is there watching him. Over all good place to work with the exception of the pop corn eating politician.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Popcorn eater
Work or have a life
Vehicle Operator (Former Employee) –  Princeton, INSeptember 4, 2016
Management sucks they never sick to their word
I'm a spouse of someone who works there if you have a family do not work here. We live together and I never see him they don't care about their employee or their families
If you want work to be your life road and rail is for you other than that it's an awful place to work my spouse never comes home from work happy btw this is Princeton IN
Pros
Not bad pay
Cons
Everything else
Dont waste your time
Shuttle Driver (Former Employee) –  Marysville, OHAugust 24, 2016
This company doesn't care about there employees I got hurt the on the job the next day I was fired I passed all my drug tests and did everything by the book. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone unless you really really needed the money.
Productivity
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Melvindale, MIMay 8, 2016
The job opened up many travel and advancement opportunities within the company for me. They sent me to several states to work in various yards, an opportunity not afforded to all employees. Additionally, I moved up the ranks throughout my time with the company.
easy money
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 28, 2016
The pay is decent, the work was easy, decent hours, the managers & supervisors were cool, they provide good benefits, all the co-workers were friendly
Good company
Car Unloader and Inspector (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 1, 2016
Shaw is a good company to work for. A lot of opportunities with this company worldwide. Besides them losing the contract where I worked, I would say my experience here was good.
This was an amazing place to work at.
Assembly Line Worker/ Shuttle Driver (Former Employee) –  Vance, ALOctober 30, 2015
Everyday i went to work I had a smile on my face. I was never the type to ruin someone's day, I always brightened up someone's day, even the Supervisor's. My co-worker was very good friends to me. I never had a problem with anyone. I must say the hardest part of the job was when I first started, i was a little difficult learning the locations to park the cars.
Some of the management was great while others were horrible.
Shuttle Driver (Former Employee) –  Vance,ALOctober 6, 2015
I really loved my job there. It was a pretty laid back and easy going job and every month a 1000 check would be issued to someone of one of the 3 shifts which I thought was great.
Pros
Hard work not going unnoticed, and free lunch once a month along wITH a 1000 check to the lucky person.
Cons
Some of the management ; lack of communication
Good company
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PASeptember 25, 2015
Sad to say that they are leaving the Harrisburg area.

It is sad to a company that is losing its contract and all the employees losing a career.
place sucked because of management
Trailer inspecter, mechanic,forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILSeptember 15, 2015
management would lie just to get what they wanted and would make false promises. they would hire you for one job put you on another and say they will pay you more or they would not put you back on what you where hired for and never keep there word.
Pros
awesome crew that you work with sucks they are getting screwed
Cons
union that doesn't help and management that is very dishonest
A waste of time
vehicle handler (Former Employee) –  New OrleansSeptember 7, 2015
$13/hr sounds good but you only get 20 or less hours a week which equals $200 check. yard manager suppose to keep fridge stocked with water and Gatorade, treats us to lunch but rarely did. Just total bs job. Only take this job if you're desperate.
Pros
There are none
Cons
pay, management, short lunches, no breaks, low hours, low pay
welder
Okay to contact supervisor (Former Employee) –  Queen City, TXJuly 23, 2015
 Train car prepped make sure the train is ready and clean.
 Welding on side sheet or door of the train with 7018 rods.
 Certified on the forks tuck and pass welding test.
long hours, all weather conditions
Management (Current Employee) –  Granite City, ILApril 29, 2015
You can move up at Road & rail, it just takes time. But I don't believe it is worth moving up.

On call 24/7. Extremely long hours with no relief over the week ends. If you are scheduled to work the weekend, be prepared to be there morning & night chasing trains. If you have to be there for 30 hours straight...sorry for your bad luck, maybe next weekend will be better...but if not....sorry & welcome to the team.

It takes a long time to be able to advance in the company.
Pros
free lunches when they remember to give it to you.
Cons
it's doesn't matter if it is pouring down heavy rain, sleet, 7 inches of snow, you will still be out there.
Not a place for people with a life
Shuttler (Current Employee) –  OhioMarch 5, 2015
The only good thing about the job is the people you work with. I currently work here and we work 11 hour days 6 to 7 days a week. Management has no compassion. You get 4 sick days without a note a year and 3 doctors notes that can cover 3 days each in a year that's it. This job is not for people who have a family or wish to have a life.
Pros
People and pay
Cons
Management, no time off, favoritism
Easy Work place.
Shuttle Driver (Current Employee) –  Marysville, OHJanuary 14, 2015
A typical day at work would be to have a safety meeting then head out to move cars that the place is producing.
I learned how to work with different kinds of people, anywhere from moody to happy.
Management out at Road & Rail wasn't the best. They do not know how to work with people and problems that occur.
The workers out at road and rail are fun to work with, they are a very close and family work group.
I would say the hardest part about working there would be the weather.
The greatest part about working at road and rail would be the worker, everyone is very close.
Pros
Warm vans, fun people, 1 great supervisor
Cons
Benefits, changing rules, unfair management, bad weather gear given to us.
the worst place I've ever worked
terminal manager (Former Employee) –  east point gaDecember 9, 2014
This probably one of the worst companies I've ever worked for the communication between the employees and management are terrible road and rail takes no responsibility for any mistakes made by their management the employee is always at fault no matter what the situation Is I strongly advise you not to waste your time with this company there is absolutely no benefit here it is a waste of time and the pay sucks I'd rather work at McDonalds for less Then to work for road and rail and be stressed and another thing they constantly find a way to steal money from all their employees so I strongly advise anyone who works for this company to constantly check their time. management is nothing but a bunch of a#$holes that think they know everything but don't know anything because they're not doing the job you just can't win at road and rail
Ok job pays the bills and takes care of family for the most part
Team Lead/ Trainer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 27, 2014
A typical day at work begins with a safety briefing before entering the work floor pretty much freelance. I've learned the political scheme when it comes to management and how dirty things can get. Management is ok favoritism is rapid but I guess that's with any job now days. Co-workers are fun to work with most of the time besides the mess and backstabbing that happens occasionally. Hardest part of the job is the weather cause you are working outside. Most enjoyable part of the job is your paycheck and the people you work with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ROAD & RAIL SERVICES. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7