Road Runner Sports Employee Reviews in United States

Great place if the manager likes you.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 17, 2016
Good perks for free running stuff or discounted running items.

Learned about sales and what important in running sales.

Management was at best mercurial. Sometimes approachable, other times completely shut off and distant. He sure did have his favorites. If you weren't then you did fair too well.

Way to many hours standing.

Good people to work with.

Too many artificial commercial company things to say. But serious cliques, really killed the place to me. A lack of compassion for the workers from the owner. More about numbers, than about a personal connection.
Pros
Fun atmosphere. Good deals on run stuff. Customers were Okay
Cons
Long hours, lack of communcation.
Tough environment
Senior Director, Finance (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 30, 2015
Team was always short staffed. No raises on annual basis. priorities changed daily. All teams were micro managed by owner/CEO.
Pros
great products and discounts
Cons
poor benefits and no raises
a really bad work expirience
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Worthington, OHJune 29, 2015
They expect you to be committed to the job to the point you will show up whenever they want. You NEVER get a raise.They told us raises were coming for a year but I never saw it.In fact due to changes in bonus pay my paychecks were smaller than the week I started . Typical day involves running around isles looking for the products (typically shoes) then checking and packing the orders till the work is done.The biggest problem I had with the company is they need to add equipment to make the job run as smoothly as it could. You typically carry around papers to tell you what to pick instead of a hand scanner like any other company you see today. Because of their lack of tech people make a LOT of errors and you spend a ridiculous amount of time fixing errors.There are a couple of people in that company working to make thing better but I think the ownership & top managers will drive them off before they succeed in getting the resources to make things better. sad.
Pros
lots of 'feel Great" lunches in place of a paycheck
Heavy Favoritism
Retail Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 13, 2016
Managers and upper-management played favorites and did not even hide it. They higher-ups would treat those they liked very well while they treated the rest with complete disrespect. Those who were favored were trained at a quicker pace as well, which is a complete disadvantage to everyone else. Overall, the work environment amongst the staff is horrible and seems to be a company wide issue. The bonus goals are almost impossible to reach unless you really break the company rules.
Pros
Commission, worked well with personal life schedule, race reimbursement, commission
Cons
Terrible healthcare options, poor work environment
Fast paced job but it is a running shoe store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 16, 2016
Diverse work environment both employees and customers. Fast paced stressful environment so you must know how to work well under pressure. This company is sales driven and raising quotas on a consistent basis so you have to know how to be willing to face these challenges and overcome such obstacles. Coworkers are very helpful and welcoming to new comers; positive relationships among co workers. You have to have tough skin for this job because its nowhere near easy but it has helped to build and strengthen skills such as delivering exceptional customer service, resolving customer problems, working in a dynamic work environment, working under pressure and building leadership skills.
Great People & Events
Fit Epert (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 10, 2016
Each store brings a different feel and structure! All of the events are awesome, the running community really makes you feel at home even if you are not a runner!
The company is still growing so there are constant changes and the upper management does not get the feedback of their employees to aid in this changes. This causes a lot of stress and disorganization.
While the atmosphere is fun, the stress of being over worked and the expectations are set ridiculously high. The position applied for was not marketed as a sales position, so the decent began early. The pressure of the sales does not make this position desirable. Being in a service field means you truly want to help people, but when your meal tickets on the line you are willing to push anything on the customer, which in turn kills your morale.

The pay is above minimum wage which keeps this position standing out, for the customer service industry. The team is awesome, they really keep each other afloat and wanting to be there.
Pros
community, team spirit
Cons
work/life balance, sales
Coworkers were awesome
Fit Expert (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAFebruary 23, 2016
I learned a lot about shoes and feet working here. Sales goals were ridiculous though. Some people didn't need certain items because it was cause potential damage to their feet but the company didn't seem like they cared as long as you reached your quota. The commission was extremely hard to get. You would work you hardest and it wouldn't necessarily be shown within your paycheck. Discounts and coworkers were the only reasons why I actually enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Discount, Flexible scheduling, learned a lot in the technology of shoes and each individual's feet
Cons
Sales goals
Overall great atmosphere
Shipping/Receiving Team Member (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 19, 2015
I learned a lot working for this company! We considered our co workers internal family members and our customers external family members. I learned how to use Oracle, Talnet, Celerant, Epicor, Excel, Word, Outlook and how to drive a stand up forklift. Co workers were a great bunch and most of them have 5+ years! Managers never seemed to stay very long though. Hardest part of the job was working with no raises. That was a major company flaw, a lot of promises of raises and never kept to their promises. But as I said before the people there were the best! I would still consider them my family!
Pros
all the knowledge they gave me
Cons
managers didn't stay long and the last manager that was there didn't like anything i did.
I don't recommend
Fit Expert (Retail Sales) (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAApril 17, 2016
Corporate was awful and it trickled down to the managers and employees. Great products to sell, the pay was decent, and there were good fellow employees and good customers just awful upper management and management.
Pros
Free shoes
Cons
Having to meet ever more demanding goals just to make your money.
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 17, 2015
Roadrunner was my first sales job and it was a great experience. They taught me great sales skills and allowed me to grow. The ongoing training was great in helping me advance in the company.
Pros
Great training.
Cons
Awesome career driven place to work
Fit Expert (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 24, 2016
Everyone at Road Runner is amazing customer service was our goal people come in full of passion looking for the best advice and products and we delivered the greatness on a daily basis. I learned team work and day to day retail store operations.
Fit Expert/ISS (Current Employee) –  Littleton, COApril 12, 2016
Road Runner Sports has a great work environment and they are always looking to take care of their employees as best they can.
Retail
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJMarch 1, 2016
All about the process...pace is not the concern. It sometimes takes to long to get anything done. Other times the expectations are too much for one day.
Road Runner Sports
fit expert (Current Employee) –  san diego, CASeptember 21, 2015
The company is great to work for, for the free shoes and the discount! Other than that it's like any typical sales job. A lot of up-selling and unnecessary products to push in order to make your weekly/monthly bonus. The scripting and role playing gets old fast. Also, don't expect any annual review or pay increase unless.
Pros
free shoes and discount
Cons
short breaks, healthcare stinks, seasonal hours
Great mid-level staff, ineffectual upper management & leadership, benefits & bonus are a joke
corporate employee (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 6, 2015
RRS is a fun place to work as it is a small enough company that you can actually watch progress or change take place and be effective. Conversely though, they notoriously underpay all corporate-level staff (except for the executives who make more than triple of the income of those they oversee). In addition, they do NOT offer annual raises or promotions--except for executives. Oftentimes when an essential staff member quits (which is OFTEN), they just outsource the work to freelancers (ineffective) and bog down the remaining staff with the person who quit's work. That being said, because of the lack of hands-on upper-level management, one can learn A LOT a RRS because you'll have to! You will receive a lot of training to do your job, too, which is nice. OK, the bonuses are a LIE. In the more than 2 years that I was employed there, I only got one. And it was VERY SMALL. I was cheated out of a big bonus because I was on maternity leave which was ridiculous but I was so dang tired from working full-time with a newborn that I didn't bother being a squeaky wheel about the matter, instead I just quit and found a new job that paid me fairly with annual raises and merit-based promotions. Great company for under 25-year-olds to get their feet wet and learn something. Not a good place for more seasoned professionals to grow, or advance their career, or earn a fair salary.
Pros
half-day fridays, good corporate discount
Cons
no raises, no promotions, high turnover, hardline republican owner, awful benefits
Fun Coworkers, silly scripting, awesome perks
Fit Expert/Shoe Dog Pro - Sales (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAApril 7, 2015
As a Road Runner employee, you're expected to greet every customer with a "Welcome in VIP" and thus the giant list of scripting begins. You're supposed to get the customers signed up at Shoe Dog, our gait analysis system, which is also a helpful selling tool. It's all about planting the seed about what's important for runners and walkers alike so that the Fit Experts can more easily sell socks, insoles, injury prevention items, and other stuff. Working retail overall can be horribly demeaning, as coming across rude and inconsiderate customers happens quite often. But working with individuals who have been hired because of their positive energy and happy attitudes gives all of us the opportunity to commiserate over poor customer experiences and make the days pass more enjoyably.

My boss works his tail off and boosts our self confidence and esteem. He gives out positive incentives for hitting our KPI's, as opposed to threatening us with write ups when we don't. Co workers are amazing and happy, and we all rely on each other to make the others smile when we're having rough days.

I truly enjoy working with people. I wish that the majority of people we work for weren't so rude or condescending, but that makes me appreciate the awesome customers that much more.

Road Runner does a great job of hiring great people. And even though our expectations and job descriptions constantly change, it keeps us on our toes.

Compensation, as long as we hit our KPI's, is fantastic. Bonuses are not always easy to come by, but pay out well.

We get lots of free shoes and gear and
  more... that stuff helps us sell more stuff.  less
Pros
Free shoes, great pay
Cons
Constantly changing expectations, massive amounts of scripting
Sales Associate
Shoe Fit Expert, Gait Analysis Expert (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 9, 2015
I guide our customers through an in depth one-on-one gait analyses to determine the best fitting pair of running shoes. I create custom insoles pertaining to the customer’s biomechanics. I answer questions and sell product regarding training, hydration, nutrition, and injury prevention. Often times customers come to me with an injury, I analyze their gait and training habits in hopes of determining what is causing the problem and figure out a way to fix it.
Relatively laid back contact center, however it did seem to become much more strict once I left. Employees are some of the best you could ever meet.
Fit Expert (Call Center) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 12, 2015
The job itself is pretty monotonous, since there is a protocol that must be followed in order to make your bonus, but the people alongside you are great and fun to be around. Free shoes is one perk of the job and is a random occurrence when vendors decide to be thankful. Best part of the training is the extensive knowledge you will receive relating to shoes and running mechanics (probably more that you would ever want to know). If you are a runner yourself, the discounts would make for a smart move monetarily. The CEO himself is a great guy, and is present most days and as an infectious energy that highlights the best part of the companies culture. Management is another story, and just be careful who you google.
Pros
free shoes, discounts, paid running entry fee's (2 per year), and sales contest
Cons
work most holidays, everyone is required to work at least one weekend day, overtime is not voluntary most of the time (mandatory)
Don't work in the call center - what a train wreck!
Sales and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 13, 2015
Overall the sound of working for this company sounds good- but their execution and follow through of what they claim to stand does not happen consistently at all.
Pros
Good discount on gear but caps out.
Cons
Their "management" in the call center.
Great Company
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Torrance CAFebruary 1, 2012
A great culture and company to work for. good staffing and positive vibe and growth potential.
Pros
great benefits