Road Runner Sports Employee Reviews

Sales Associate
Shoe Fit Expert, Gait Analysis Expert (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 9, 2015
I guide our customers through an in depth one-on-one gait analyses to determine the best fitting pair of running shoes. I create custom insoles pertaining to the customer’s biomechanics. I answer questions and sell product regarding training, hydration, nutrition, and injury prevention. Often times customers come to me with an injury, I analyze their gait and training habits in hopes of determining what is causing the problem and figure out a way to fix it.
a really bad work expirience
Team Member (Former Employee), Worthington, OHJune 29, 2015
Pros: lots of 'feel Great" lunches in place of a paycheck
They expect you to be committed to the job to the point you will show up whenever they want. You NEVER get a raise.They told us raises were coming for a year but I never saw it.In fact due to changes in bonus pay my paychecks were smaller than the week I started . Typical day involves running around isles looking for the products (typically shoes) then checking and packing the orders till the work – more... is done.The biggest problem I had with the company is they need to add equipment to make the job run as smoothly as it could. You typically carry around papers to tell you what to pick instead of a hand scanner like any other company you see today. Because of their lack of tech people make a LOT of errors and you spend a ridiculous amount of time fixing errors.There are a couple of people in that company working to make thing better but I think the ownership & top managers will drive them off before they succeed in getting the resources to make things better. sad. – less
Don't work in the call center - what a train wreck!
Sales and Customer Service (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 13, 2015
Pros: Good discount on gear but caps out.
Cons: Their "management" in the call center.
Overall the sound of working for this company sounds good- but their execution and follow through of what they claim to stand does not happen consistently at all.
Fun environment
Sales- Fit Expert (Former Employee), N/AJune 8, 2015
It is a fun place to work at. The benefits are decent (discount, shoes, etc), but the entire scene is somewhat scattered. Can get unorganized very quickly. Advancement is minimal.
Amazing
Customer Care Specialist Employer (Current Employee), San DiegoJune 2, 2015
Wonderful people to work with and an amazing company to be a part of. The training and is top notch with a great environment to grow.
Fun, laid back work environment
Sales - Fit Expert (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMay 20, 2015
Pros: Laid back/casual work environment.
Cons: Not a lot of room to advance or change pay grades. Below average pay.
A typical work day includes meetings, phone calls, emails, hour lunch break. You're able to leave your work at the door at not carry stress home with you. Friendly work environment with fun/young people. The most enjoyable part of the job is your co-workers. Hardest part of the job is the work gets a bit redundant.
Productivity
Warehousing Slotting Consultant (Current Employee), Worthington, OHApril 23, 2015
The warehouse management is poor, need a WMS to help out. The picking efficiency is low and requires redesigning the route.
Fun Coworkers, silly scripting, awesome perks
Fit Expert/Shoe Dog Pro - Sales (Current Employee), Carlsbad, CAApril 7, 2015
Pros: Free shoes, great pay
Cons: Constantly changing expectations, massive amounts of scripting
As a Road Runner employee, you're expected to greet every customer with a "Welcome in VIP" and thus the giant list of scripting begins. You're supposed to get the customers signed up at Shoe Dog, our gait analysis system, which is also a helpful selling tool. It's all about planting the seed about what's important for runners and walkers alike so that the Fit Experts can more easily sell socks, insoles, – more... injury prevention items, and other stuff. Working retail overall can be horribly demeaning, as coming across rude and inconsiderate customers happens quite often. But working with individuals who have been hired because of their positive energy and happy attitudes gives all of us the opportunity to commiserate over poor customer experiences and make the days pass more enjoyably.

My boss works his tail off and boosts our self confidence and esteem. He gives out positive incentives for hitting our KPI's, as opposed to threatening us with write ups when we don't. Co workers are amazing and happy, and we all rely on each other to make the others smile when we're having rough days.

I truly enjoy working with people. I wish that the majority of people we work for weren't so rude or condescending, but that makes me appreciate the awesome customers that much more.

Road Runner does a great job of hiring great people. And even though our expectations and job descriptions constantly change, it keeps us on our toes.

Compensation, as long as we hit our KPI's, is fantastic. Bonuses are not always easy to come by, but pay out well.

We get lots of free shoes and gear and that stuff helps us sell more stuff. – less
Overall great atmosphere
Shipping/Receiving Team Member (Current Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: all the knowledge they gave me
Cons: managers didn't stay long and the last manager that was there didn't like anything i did.
I learned a lot working for this company! We considered our co workers internal family members and our customers external family members. I learned how to use Oracle, Talnet, Celerant, Epicor, Excel, Word, Outlook and how to drive a stand up forklift. Co workers were a great bunch and most of them have 5+ years! Managers never seemed to stay very long though. Hardest part of the job was working with no raises. That was a major company flaw, a lot of promises of raises and never kept to their promises. But as I said before the people there were the best! I would still consider them my family!
Relatively laid back contact center, however it did seem to become much more strict once I left. Employees are some of the best you could ever meet.
Fit Expert (Call Center) (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: free shoes, discounts, paid running entry fee's (2 per year), and sales contest
Cons: work most holidays, everyone is required to work at least one weekend day, overtime is not voluntary most of the time (mandatory)
The job itself is pretty monotonous, since there is a protocol that must be followed in order to make your bonus, but the people alongside you are great and fun to be around. Free shoes is one perk of the job and is a random occurrence when vendors decide to be thankful. Best part of the training is the extensive knowledge you will receive relating to shoes and running mechanics (probably more that you would ever want to know). If you are a runner yourself, the discounts would make for a smart move monetarily. The CEO himself is a great guy, and is present most days and as an infectious energy that highlights the best part of the companies culture. Management is another story, and just be careful who you google.
Great mid-level staff, ineffectual upper management & leadership, benefits & bonus are a joke
corporate employee (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: half-day fridays, good corporate discount
Cons: no raises, no promotions, high turnover, hardline republican owner, awful benefits
RRS is a fun place to work as it is a small enough company that you can actually watch progress or change take place and be effective. Conversely though, they notoriously underpay all corporate-level staff (except for the executives who make more than triple of the income of those they oversee). In addition, they do NOT offer annual raises or promotions--except for executives. Oftentimes when an essential – more... staff member quits (which is OFTEN), they just outsource the work to freelancers (ineffective) and bog down the remaining staff with the person who quit's work. That being said, because of the lack of hands-on upper-level management, one can learn A LOT a RRS because you'll have to! You will receive a lot of training to do your job, too, which is nice. OK, the bonuses are a LIE. In the more than 2 years that I was employed there, I only got one. And it was VERY SMALL. I was cheated out of a big bonus because I was on maternity leave which was ridiculous but I was so dang tired from working full-time with a newborn that I didn't bother being a squeaky wheel about the matter, instead I just quit and found a new job that paid me fairly with annual raises and merit-based promotions. Great company for under 25-year-olds to get their feet wet and learn something. Not a good place for more seasoned professionals to grow, or advance their career, or earn a fair salary. – less
Fun at times, but inconsistent
Fit Expert (Current Employee), Paramus, NJJanuary 31, 2015
a typical day is fiiting lots of people for shoes with other small store projects. Some of my co workers are ok some are not great to work with, and one of the hardest things is the job atmosphere appears to be fake and inconsistentcy is a major problem throughout the store.
Figure it out
Employee Relations Manager (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 29, 2015
RRS has a GREAT collection of people and is a really fun place to be a part of day to day but manages to get in the way of its own success. Keep it simple, wow your customers and don;t react so fast to a bad week. RRS will never pay people close to what they're worth on the open market and will claim that culture is worth more than money. Unfortunately, culture doesn't pay the bills.
Don't waste your time at this DISASTER of a warehouse
Lead Slave (Former Employee), Worthington, OHJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: they are next door to super games
Cons: every single thing.
If I could put 0 stars on the management section of this review I would. That had to be the worst part of the whole place. I worked at this mess of a company for over 3 years - I was constantly talked down to by certain management. They get new management every year that comes in pretending they know more than the rest of the people who have been there for years. The pay is awful even after they claimed – more... to do extensive studies to make their pay competitive. It is in no way competitive with any other companies like or unlike it.

The only enjoyable thing about being at work was that all my peers felt the same way about the company as I did.

If the owner of the company and the corporate office would just come in and see how the place is actually ran without giving any notice to management that would be great. It would give them no time to hound all of the workers to put on a happy face and pretend everything is fine.

They claim they have "fun" but there was hardly any fun EVER.

The best thing I ever did was to leave this place. – less
Worst Place to Work Ever
Team Member (Former Employee), Worthington, OhioJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: it keeps you in shape since the work is strenuous
Cons: the leads and shift supervisors are unorganized and are bullies, the place is full of idiots. no common sense in the whole warehouse.
If you like being worked to death, then this is the place for you. They expect you to pick up the slack for their lack of employees. They yelled at us to work "faster" because "we aren't hiring anyone new for 6 months".

The management is horrible. If you liked being cursed at on a regular basis, on top of being bullied and blacked mailed into working 7 days a week, then this is the job for you.

If – more... you like being s. harassed and have no one care, then this is the job for you.

I quit this job but was so mentally broken by this place, I spent 5 1/2 weeks in a hospital program curing severe depression brought on by the 10 months I worked there. It was bad. Bad.

I would never, ever suggest working for Road Runner Sports. Never. Don't do it. Not worth it.

The saddest part? I liked working for them at first. Now I wont even shop there. – less
dont work here
Inventory Clerk /Material Handler (Current Employee), Worthington, OHNovember 27, 2014
they dont care about there worker
do yourself a favor and dont apply here
Long hours, poor pay, and dubious "leadership"
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee), Worthington, OHSeptember 28, 2014
Pros: my check has never bounced
Cons: pretty much everything else
I've been with this company since shortly after they opened a distribution center to service the population centers in the East/Midwest in 2008 (Something like 60% of the US population can be reached within 6 hours of Columbus, OH).

In that time I have seen at least 5 facility managers come and go, all but one a complete train wreck. I've also seen people promoted just for being friends with managers – more... (that caused an uproar and they now post openings instead of just filling them). Management company-wide is lazy and ineffective at best and downright hostile at worst.

The company has no desire to compensate it's employees. In the 6 years I've been there I have had 1 raise (no cost of living raises) and that was .25. No, that's not a typo, I received a quarter raise. Our yearly "Share the success" bonus has shrunk by $200 each of the last 3 years and recently (Sept '14) we found out we won't be receiving the portion we normally receive IN AUGUST.

As far as other benefits go they do offer paid vacation (you earn X hours per pay period based on seniority), sick time (I'll cover that in a moment), they pay for a portion of your health insurance, but it costs more than any other job I've bought insurance from, 401K (no matching contributions) and that's about it unless you'd like to count the picnics they throw about every 6 months. The sick time is that in name only as you are penalized (via attendance policy) if you use it because you have the flu or a cold.

Coworkers are mostly OK with some really great ones, but because the company has run off so many people (a large agency will no longer provide temps for them because of this) you get a great deal of under-qualified and lazy individuals.

We are rarely provided with the equipment we need to do our jobs and have been using computers that were outdated when I started since that time. I could go on but if what I've already written doesn't make you say "Nevermind" to this job nothing will. – less
Great for people who are salesmen
Retail Inventory Support Specialist (Current Employee), Elikridge, mdMay 21, 2014
Road Runner Sports offer alot of bonuses for the sales people not so much for inventory.
Providing customer WOW experience was fun
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee), Studio City, CASeptember 11, 2013
This was a great company to work for, but I just could no longer work the required retail hours.
A fun environment where can make my customers feel great.
Fit/Shoedog Expert (Current Employee), San Carlos CAAugust 5, 2013
Pros: free shoes
Cons: commission
Finding my customers perfect shoes, apparel and accessories.
Build relationships as I learn customers needs and assist them with getting the right gear. Working with a team of talented individuals in a family environment.
Headquarters