Rochester City School District

Rochester City School District Employer Reviews

Accounts Payable
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE CLERK (Former Employee), Rochester, NYDecember 28, 2014
Pros: the government is never going out of business.
Cons: the government is never going out of business.
My position there was on a temporary basis. Being brought in to help the department catch up on processing vendor invoices I was amazed at how much leeway businesses granted the School Department in paying outstanding balances.

My co-workers seemed very comfortable in their positions. According to these workers they were part of a union and losing your position once hired was very hard to accomplish. Anyone who favors job security would love to work here.

The hardest part of the job was explaining to a vendor why it took months and months to process an invoice.

The most enjoyable part was helping the full-time employees get caught up to current invoices.
Challenging at all times in a diverse multicultural setting.
Educator (Former Employee), Rochester, NYDecember 15, 2014
Pros: always an adventure
Cons: not recognized for your accomplishments
For over two decades I truly enjoyed my occupation as a teacher or rather a facilitator of knowledge. I was usually assigned the at-risk group of students or the students no one else wanted to be bothered with. I found these students were quite capable at excelling in their academic adventures as long as they were treated with respect, participated in unique teaching and learning exercises, and were able to become responsible for their overall education.

Many students loved to achieve and prove the school slayers of doom away and show the world that urban education was not null and void. It all depended on the instructor and the overall relationship built between the student and the instructor.

The chance or opportunities for promotion or change of occupation were not as available to seasoned educators. The opportunities were political and at times made through connections outside of the district. I feel sad that so many of us with excellent talents and skills were passed by for inexperienced administrators who could not excel in the classroom either.
Moral and Honesty opens so many positive doors
Safety Officer (Current Employee), Rochester, NYDecember 14, 2014
Pros: lives positively impacted
Cons: to see our next generation forfeits their education
While it may be important for some to obtain a "job", for me, the moral of where I work is very important. Individuals should be treated with respect from the CEO to the maintenance man.
Lack of moral impacts every aspect of a workplace and therefore impacts relationships between employers and employees which then impacts work performance.
More times than we'd like to acknowledge, sometimes the fate of our very own existence may lie in the hand of unjust management which tends to make a tense and sometimes hostile work environment.
Hoping for retirement from a workplace that embraces MORAL, FAIRNESS and RESPECT.
good place to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Rochester, NYNovember 5, 2014
Pros: loving atmosphere
Cons: short staffed, raise is under review
It is a good place to work for. It has a loving atmosphere and some knowledgeable employed there.
professional
Custodian (Current Employee), Rochester, NYOctober 27, 2014
very wonderful company that take care of their customers as well as their employees.
Wonderful place if you love children
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Rochester, NYSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: the children, administrations.
Cons: bringing work home. not enought hours in the day.
Rochester City School Dist. is a educational institution full of individual who are teaching or supporting the staff. The staff of people I worked with were wonderful. I loved my job and the building I was assigned.
Special Education Para Professional
Para Professional (Former Employee), Rochester, NYJuly 25, 2014
Pros: schedule and the children
Cons: funding
Customer Service
 Respond to customer inquiries providing information and resources available
 Establish relationships customers as the company’s liaison/representative
 Responsible for problem solving, diplomacy, resolving problems per agency’s policies and procedures
 Provide customer support for internal/external customers creating customer satisfaction
 Organize, and coordinated workshops/presentations for various groups and topics
 Knowledgeable in funding research and grant writing for real estate and business start-up and not-for-profit agencies

Case Management
 Competent in screening and assessing clients for appropriate services and eligibility
 Assist clients in creating determining goals
 Refer clients and their family to other agencies and services
 Capable of working with highly confidential files, reports, document
 Document detailed information and case notes in 20-35 clients’ files daily
 Able to maintain and submit program monthly reports on time
Difficult job
Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee), Rochester, NYJuly 17, 2014
I learned how to interact with effectively with many different kinds of people. The hardest part of the job was being expected to just teach to the test. It did not seem to matter to administration whether kids were really learning or not.
Urban setting
Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee), Rochester, NYJuly 6, 2014
Urban school district with typical challenges for student population. Supported from 35-65 students a school year. Team teaching and in classroom support services. Mostly pull-out services.
Management at building level not always supportive. District level manager excellent.
Best part observing growth and development of speech and/or language skills development
awesome people to work with -total pleasure
SEASONAL WORKER (Former Employee), Rochester, NYJune 30, 2014
I worked in several; positions in the district-overall rating fantastic place awesome people and I loved the education/experiences I was bless to encounter throughout the many years.
Great work environment building great relationships with our youth
School Security Officer (Current Employee), Rochester, NYJune 24, 2014
Give me a chance to reach put to the youth and motivate them to see thier bright future.
I love working with the teachers around me! The students can be a challenge to work with at times.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Rochester, NYMay 16, 2014
Pros: the teachers around me are a great support!
Cons: student's behavior at times.
Working with students in the city can be a challenge at times. Regardless of their home life, I still treat each child the same and want them to be very successful in everything they do. I greet as many students as I can in the morning and at my door when they enter into my room. My most enjoyable part of my job is when I know I am respected by them by having them listen to me and following classroom instructions. This is a challenge for most students. I love teaching them everyday and having them ask questions that we can talk about and figure out a problem together. I ask my co-workers many questions about classroom behavior and we work off of each other and support one another on a regular basis.
Exciting place to work
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), Rochester, NYApril 24, 2014
I love working for the RCSD every day is different with our students. My co workers and I work as a team to provide a quality education for our students.
Easy money.
Lunch Aide (Former Employee), Rochester, NYApril 22, 2014
Pros: easy money.
Cons: rude management, unprofessional.
Wipe down tables after each lunch period. Assist the servers with prepping food.
Interesting to learn about the NYS Education Laws that govern claims reimbursements.
Supervising Claims Auditor (Current Employee), Rochester, NYApril 17, 2014
Pros: trusting of my ability to manage the claims audit department
Cons: not enough interaction from my superiors (board of education)
I enjoy interacting with all levels of management from supervisors, managers to the president of the Board of Education. I have 2 ladies on my team and we are responsible for reviewing and releasing all vendor invoices received by the Rochester City School District for reimbursement. We analyze each invoice to make sure the reimbursement requests are legitimate, appropriate expense for a school district.

The hardest part of the job was getting the district employees to understand the Claims Auditor is not here to chastize them or be critical, but to assist them in using the taxpayers monies appropriately. Many areas and departments were skeptical. My approach was to make the Claims Audit department more visable and approachable. In the years I've been here, the culture has changed and is more accepting of our presence.
OK place to work.
TEACHER, part-time (Former Employee), Rochester, NYApril 11, 2014
Ok place to work.
Indeed.com website needs improving.
This website takes up too much time.
Exciting as a sub para interacting with students from all over the world. Very rewarding and a priviledge to help students with their work.
Assisted teacher (Former Employee), Rochester, New YorkApril 2, 2014
Pros: mininum breaks for lunch
Cons: no healthcare for part-time employees
A typical day at the Rochester City School District was rewarding. Assisting children of all ages and from different cultures and backgrounds was challenging and exciting. Upon entering the classroom I was advised by the instructor my assignment for the student. (One on One Para professional). The hardest part of the job at times was trying to understand a student who had a hard time speaking the American language. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the students and especially those that I impacted doing the day, which I received hugs and drawings as a thank you for helping them.
: Bilingual Para professional / Employment Coordinator
Bilingual Para professional (Former Employee), rochester nyApril 1, 2014
• Established and maintained valuable working relationships with students, teachers, faculty members, and other district employees
• Performed a variety of typing and clerical activities
• Performed difficult, varied and confidential administrative duties
• Prepared letters for administrators and staff
• Collected, compiled, arranged and retained reports, records, files and data
• Screened telephone calls and guests and resolved routine and multifaceted inquiries
• Helped adult students with resume and apply for jobs
The RCSD is an extremely variable place to work and your conditions depend greatly on the abilities and temperament of the administration
Paraprofessional Aide (Former Employee), Rochester, NYMarch 10, 2014
Pros: positive mission, benefits
Cons: low position in power hierarchy
I worked as a paraprofessional in both very supportive environments and one in which I was formally reprimanded for "rolling my eyes."
Love my job
Lead Teacher/Instructional Coach (Current Employee), Rochester, NYFebruary 12, 2014
I enjoy working with the students and staff in the Rochester City School District. I have the distinct honor to work with amazing students and staff. I am grateful for all I have learned over the past 13 years.

1 2 3