Rochester General Hospital Employee Reviews

Fun and caring staff
Psychiatric Assignment Officer (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 14, 2016
The emergency department is a stressful environment to work on however management is encouraging and rewarding. The hours are extremely flexible which has worked well with a young family.
Pros
Supportive staff
Cons
No advancement opportunities
Positive development
Access Associate - Float (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 9, 2016
My role as an access associate introduced me to varied working environments with people from many cultures and backgrounds. Helping them reach their health goals brought great learning to my life about helping others.
No opportunities for Licensed Practical nurses
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 14, 2016
No opportunities for LPNs. RGH does not value LPN. Offers LPN school but wont hire them to work in hospital.
Be careful!
Registered Professional Nurse (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 28, 2016
The best paying nursing position in Rochester that you will find! In Mark Clements early days at RGH it was an amazing place to work. The change in culture was outstanding! The organization began to teach it's leaders how to lead and through that process job satisfaction soared and patent care was exemplary. I was so proud to work for RGH...I sang it's praises to whomever would listen. They really cared about the employees and the patients....never got the feeling it was about the bottom line. Then something changed, I don't know what. It became the sole focus of a leaders responsibility to find reasons to let people go....either through intimidation or actually firing an individual. I saw leaders that left or were fired for small things that should have resulted in mediation not firing. I was in a leadership role and was always being told that I had to document behaviors of those under me to give valid reason to terminate the employee. I grew to hate this organization. I have been gone over three years...had to take a $ 10,000 cut in pay, but it was worth it. I have my integrity back. All I can say is be careful..
Productivity, Enjoyable work environment, Great Company
Medical Biller (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 15, 2016
Billing ,following up on accounts. Learned the process of the Medical Billing field. Management are very knowledgable. My co-workers are very friendly. hardest-High Volume of job. Enjoyable part-working with Insurance Companies and co-workers.
Pros
lunches
Cons
short breaks, heathcare Insurance
Operating room assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 12, 2016
Productive workplace a lot of inserting things happen in the OR. The main responsibility of an operating room assistant is to maintain a sterile environment for the patient and surgical team before, during and after surgery. Before surgery, an assistant prepares the operating room by washing and sterilizing all surgical instruments and equipment using special cleaners known as germicides. The assistant then prepares the patient for surgery by washing, shaving and disinfecting incision sites. Finally, the assistant scrubs, gloves, masks and gowns the surgical team. During surgery, the operating room assistant may pass surgical instruments to the surgeon, cut sutures, apply dressings and prepare specimens for laboratory analysis. After surgery, the assistant transports the patient to the recovery room and cleans the operating room for the next procedure. The whole culture of the hospital has made many changes for the worse since the Unity merger. There is a much higher turn over in employees. People are just not happy anymore. Management is terrible, people are just not as friendly to each other and it seems that no matter how hard you try, nobody can be the right fit for this company. Management is Never happy with anyone!
Pros
Seeing operating and talking to doctors
Cons
lazy people
Not the place you want to work
Access Associate (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 30, 2016
Excellent team work.
General Med/Surg Registered Nurse (BSN-RN) (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 26, 2016
Staff are great although we have a tendency to constantly have poor staffing. Scheduling can be a disaster. We don't have a consistent schedule, it's all over the place. In general in makes it harder for us to balance life at work and home altogether. On the flip side team work is awesome and the pay is reasonable. It generally isn't all too bad when all you are able to keep all your bills up to date.
Pros
Great teamwork
Cons
High turnover rate & poor staffing
Enjoy my patients
Access Associate Senior/Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 26, 2016
Love that I was able to help out my patients with there difficult language barrier. Learned so much from my boss. Excellent co-workers.Learned to be thankful what we had in life.
Great
Patient Care Tech (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 25, 2016
I have been working at Rochester general for 8 months now and I have enjoyed it more and more each day I have learned how to do vitals and I have been long term relationships with my patients.
Pros
Learning exsprience
Cons
multitasking
good place to get your foot in the door
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 15, 2016
my time here was okay but management was a nightmare. they always were worried about peoples personal lives. co workers were not reliable only wanted the pay check after two week. wasn't a place that didn't have spirit when it came to work ethic.
Busy
CERTIFIED HOME HEALTH AIDE (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2016
Unfortunately, I do not know who the CEO is. This maybe due to my lower rank within the organization. Nonetheless, it is a patient-centered service that is second to none.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Staff shortages
Terrible
Material Management Tech 1 (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 3, 2016
dont take the job , They have no training on lifting , 150 to 300 pounds !! Hard work ! They are short staffed , I was told I would have to move 50 pounds , Nice coworkers ! The trainer is awesome , manager is never around , and if you go to the manager about lifting , he will tell you if you cant move 150 pounds then the job is not for you . Best part of the day is going home !!
Pros
Nice Trainer
Cons
at 1 it slows down
team work
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 1, 2016
when i first started working in 2007 the team work was great. Techs and nurses worked as a team to get stuff done. working in an inpatient psychiatric unit was difficult and at time dangerous but with the staff being alert and focused i felt safe.
Pros
teamwork, benefits
Cons
short staffed, not enough equipment
fun work place
Student work program (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 11, 2016
a typical day at work is working with the staff for example the nurses and getting along with everyone there.i worked as student in this program and i assisted nursing department .
Great place to work.
Attending Physician in Pediatrics (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 27, 2016
Current Chief of Pediatrics is very supportive. The pediatric clinic was challenging, yet rewarding. Staff were excellent and a pleasure to work with.
Terrible work environment
Full Time Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 6, 2016
Management of Respiratory Dept targets RTs that they don't like and even tries to get their licenses suspended for arbitrary reasons. Director has been sued for harassment and lost--RT got job back with back pay and restitution...not sure why or how RGH even hired her. She targets those she doesn't like and systematically tries to ruin their careers. Very dysfunctional place to work--SR staff have countdowns on their phones til retirement as they can't stand to work there anymore. Would never recommend working in the RT dept--the other depts seem ok. Good RTs with good clinical skills end up fired while those with poor skills end up as shift managers....
Cons
Management targets those they don't like
Learn something new every day!
Patient Access-Lead (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 22, 2015
I am extremely grateful for every opportunity I have been afforded during my 5 years in my current position. I am continuously learning every day, and gaining knowledge that helps me not only be a better team lead, but a better person in general.
A typical day for me is one that can at times be unpredictable. We service up to 500 patients a day in our combined locations within our department. All of our patients have different needs, and status of medical necessity and come from all different walks of life. A typical day is one that is busy, at times can be stressful, but mostly interesting to meet people that I am able to interact with.
When I describe my team and our role to others, I typically state that we are on the "front lines" of the hospital. We are voice on the phone, the first face that the patient sees, and we set the pace for the patient experience.
In my opinion the hardest part of my current role is hearing the stories and sad issues that some of our patients are going through. Although I try to be uplifting and positive, it is hard for me to not feel for them and sometimes it can be heavy on my heart.
The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I have calmed a patient or family member before a major surgery, or encounter that they are worried about. Just knowing that I was a positive part of their experience makes me feel good.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Competitive work environment.
productive place to work
Senior Asset Associate/Super User (Former Employee) –  14615December 14, 2015
I enjoyed my time with Rochester general the people were great and supportive. I am sad I left to go to billing.

Great growth and opportunities

good benefits
Responsible for billing numerous insurances as well as follow up.The hardest part of this job was coordinating with departments in order to solve
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 3, 2015
Fun place to work with a very supportive management staff who truly cares about their staff and, I enjoyed working with a very alongside with great colleagues who were truly the meaning of a great team.
Pros
great co-workers that were the best team players.
Cons
Half hour Lunches but, that is usually everywhere.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rochester General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Rochester General Hospital Reviews by Location