Rochester Institute of Technology Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and fun workplace with college students
Staff Assistance (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 17, 2016
I often worked with college students, to assure their understanding of using Access Services and help monitor their track of requirement for the courses/graduation. I also help remind them that they need to start looking for intern as part of graduation requirement which most college students lack the information. It is more of a one person job, rather than working with others which I truly enjoyed doing this. I also feel very comfortable with instructors which are part of co-workers that I share my concerns about the students or discussion of how I can be help with this certain student(s). The hardest part of this job is to keep all students personal information confidential and not to be left noticeable on the desk/computer. I enjoyed seeing the students graduate from this program as I feel he/she have achieved their dreams. I also enjoyed any new experience that may obstacles my working experience and to overcome that with some kind of solutions.
Pros
Flexible hours, my own office space
Cons
No retirement benefits, overtime pays
Great School Employer
Computer Science Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 5, 2016
School employer for a low-pressure job. Employers and coworkers are very friendly, compensation is reasonable, and hours are decent.
Pros
Fun, free food, easy
Cons
Too little work
Customer Service Experience
Senior Club Center Desk Attendant and Trainer (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 25, 2016
This position taught me more about customer service than many previous positions. I was able to assist a diverse institutional community, build rapport with a variety of stakeholders, and perform various detail oriented jobs to support the finances of the 300+ clubs at RIT. I was able to work with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook on a daily basis. It was a pleasure to work for and with the Club Center and the department members. It was unfortunate that the position was only part-time.
Good team dynamic, hand on environment.
Undergrad Researcher Responsible for Cell Culture (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 30, 2016
It was a hands on environment, that allowed me to work both as part of a group and as an individual. The typical day was going to the lab, sterilize the work environment, count the cells, and subculture the cell line to maintain the population of the cell culture, if the PI needed anything else cell related I would do it. My coworkers were easy to work with, it felt like a team, each of us part of a larger whole.
Best Job on Campus
Welcome Center Attendant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 10, 2016
Being a Welcome Center Attendant is the best place to work on campus. It is fun interacting with guests. I enjoy promoting my school and hopefully encouraging other to become apart of this awesome community. The daily interactions with people are what I live for. It is fun to see friends passing by the desk and just observe people going about their routines. Definitely a great job to have
Fun workplaces, easy to pick up multiple shifts
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 12, 2015
At RIT, I worked at a cafeteria and as a teaching assistant. Both jobs payed above the state's minimum wage and the cafeteria offered advancement to become a manager. My hours as a teaching assistant were very few and allowed my to get my school work done, which I usually did after a shift or during a break while working at the cafeteria. My coworkers and managers were all very casual, fun people. As a teaching assistant I cemented and kept fresh my understanding of circuit design and analysis as well as equipment maintenance (bench supplies, oscilloscopes, etc).

All-in-all, very good student jobs.
Pros
Kept skills honed and got a discounted rate on food, good pay for a student
Place where you can advance your ideas in depth with the research capability
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 19, 2016
Working with team members on creating an Alvirt to help substance abuse and alcohol abuse patient id a phenomenal idea. This app will help clients still have interactive therapy in between one on one therapy. The most exciting part is to visit different organizations that will allow us to use patient surveys to help create the app an to make it client friendly when given their feedback.
Pros
free lunch team meeting
Cons
Too much work for not enough pay!
Senior Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 6, 2016
Staff are dispensable, and treated as such. Terrible place to work, with no job security! Faculty are able to get rid of staff whenever they please, especially when staff members have health issues or get injured on the job. I would never recommend working there!!!
Cons
Working for faculty with massively inflated egos
professional and friendly
Recruitment Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 27, 2016
The most important thing I learned from my supervisor and co-workers is professional and serious attitude to own job and projects.
The nice and friendly work circumstance let me know why most of faculties evaluate RIT is a great place to work
AdvanceRIT
Program Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 30, 2016
Wonderful coworkers and chances to increase rate of pay were often. Lots of responsibility and work to be done, which was enjoyable. Loved working with the team and building meaningful working relationships.
Class 100 clean room environment
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 21, 2016
One of the only ten US universities to have a full fledged clean room. Well equiped with fully functional semiconductor fabrication tools. Most are hand downs from the industry but a few are state of the art. Local companies in Rochester are some of the clients working at RIT SMFL.
Pros
Hands-on microfabrication experience
Production Manager at Reporter Magazine
Production Manager for monthly Reporter Magazine (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 29, 2016
* communicated with Business Manager and Ad/PR Manager daily
* worked in InDesign preparing files for print at EPi Printing (prepress)
* distributed magazines across campus
Flexible and Fun
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 31, 2016
The CS office is a great place to work in. The staff is caring and kind. They have reasonable tasks and expectations. Super flexible with schedule and work load. Priority is still that you are a student first and not just a worker there.
Easy, fun job
Lab Cleaner RIT Campus (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 28, 2015
Cleaning four labs, two nights a week. I learned more about the equipment I work with and the students who go to RIT. Management is nice and reasonable. I have no co-workers, and hardest part about the job is it is so late at night.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Late at night
productive and fun work place
Student Administrative Associate, FMS (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 5, 2015
Flexible work hours
Fun workplace with supportive management.
Learnt quite a lot from my colleagues
Very different experience
Work required a lot of management skills and strong communication skill
Fun workplace helping other students.
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 26, 2016
Fun workplace helping other students, Easy money for part time student employee.Hardest part of the job will be working late in the night till 11 pm.
Easy and nice job
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 4, 2015
The job is easy. They expect results which if you give, can lead to good professional career growth. They are good in training and they care for their employees.
Pros
Nice people and nice place
Cons
Academics so the industry is very specific
Positive work environment.
Public Relations and Social Media Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 26, 2015
RIT is a flexible employer which allows you to balance work and personal life. People is positive and polite. Salary is adequate. Managers make you feel at home.
Really Enjoyed being an Ambassador for RIT
Student Ambassador Captain (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 18, 2015
My responsibilities as a Student Ambassador Captain are to assist prospect students with anything they may need help with to better understand RIT. I give university tours, answer phone calls with concerns regarding the admission process, and travel to various cities to be on a student panel to answer questions. Also, as a Student Ambassador Captain I train new tour guides for the university.
Fun work place
worker (Current Employee) –  Gracie's Dining ServicesJanuary 4, 2016
I work 4 hours a day. The most important thing that I learned from my workplace is discipline and cleanliness. My co-workers helped me to learn the rules of my workplace. The most enjoyable job was serving food. I sometimes find it difficult to manage studies and work .
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short Break

4.3