Rochester Public Schools Employee Reviews

great place to work
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMay 30, 2017
great staff, and kids. Always fun and a different day ever day.The principle and teachers were great & very easy to work with. I would recommend Jefferson Elementary to anyone looking for a great place to work.
Rewarding Job, but poorly managed
Program Lead (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMay 12, 2017
Once again nothing is more rewarding than being able to work with children and make a large impact on their lives. The real downside of this job was it was horribly managed.
Responsible, ethical, and welcoming public school system with provided support and opportunities for growth.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 7, 2017
As a substitute teacher, my experience is somewhat limited. Each location in the district is supportive, driven, and engaging. The most difficult part of substitute teaching is the uncertainty day-to-day, including location, number and type of students, and weekly hours. The most enjoyable part of the day is when students and substitute leave the classroom feeling better about the day's experience overall.
Pros
Very flexible, support built in throughout district locations
Cons
uncertainty, irregularity, very difficult to plan a life around Substitute teaching
Na
Lunch Lady (Current Employee) –  NhFebruary 17, 2017
Wonderful place to work I enjoy working with people and I like working with the people in the lunchroom it's very fun people are very nice enjoy working in the different schools it's a pleasure working there
Great
Assistant Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNFebruary 6, 2017
Student centered work environment. Works to see value in each student and individual learning environment to promote their ultimate success. Students first is the mantra.
Very stressful work environment
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 2, 2017
I was lied to, bullied, harassed, falsely accused without evidence and there was a breach of confidentiality when an email I sent to HR was obtained by my supervisor without my permission, then forwarded to my principal without my permission. Accommodations were not made when I injured myself at work, so I was out of work for over 3 weeks, without pay, even though I had a form signed by my doctor stating I could still perform all the duties of my job, with accommodations.
school custodian
Custodian Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNDecember 22, 2016
Cleaned Bathrooms, hallways and classrooms. Dump trash, run cooling and heating systems, made small repairs to building. In charge of off shift custodial staff, Did snow removal.
Pros
got to meet a lot people
Cons
cleaning up after lunch
Awesome co- workers and kids, very flexible.
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNNovember 7, 2016
I absolutely love this job. They are very flexible with hours and school. The job has taught me a lot about communication, leadership, and responsibility.
Pros
Being a role model, working as a team, trips
Cons
Sometimes don't get a break/ short staffed, some challenging kids but make it worth it
SACC of RPS is a good place to work with students, you could receive the reward immediately
SACC Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNOctober 6, 2016
The students you are working with could make you happier and younger especially at SACC
My leaders and co-workers are helpful, they gave me a lot of good suggestions since it was my first time to work at SACC
Even the work is enjoyable but you must be careful, not running too fast and playing too hard, you may hurt yourself since I had a co-worker who had a leg injury while she is playing with the kids.
Pros
earning while playing, free snacks
Cons
sunburn
I liked coaching here
Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Rochester, INOctober 6, 2016
I coached 4 season with the Rochester public schools. It was a great place to learn from good coaches. A lot of the coaching methods that I use now came from when I coached here.
Very independently driven.
employee (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNOctober 3, 2016
Success of the schools lie in the ability of the professionals to accept that their student come first over any other priorities. Often times I see teachers who have lost the passion in their positions. I've also experienced and witnessed a lack of support from administration and supervisors. Not all there are great supervisors and administration but I've seen great young professionals feel unsupported and thrown under the bus leading to their resignation.
Pros
Great synergy amongst coworkers in the same work area (i.e. Classrooms)
Cons
Can feel lack of support from supervisors
Bully District for New Teachers
teacher (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNSeptember 9, 2016
Administrators play into the hands of "cliques", not a welcoming environment for new staff, poor management of students on IEPs PARENTS BEWARE, very poor morale and a sense of fear in new staff about "job security", top-heavy district with many overpaid non-instructional staff at the central district Edison building, no sight of superintendent on any campuses despite his promises

Advice to Management
If you keep doing what you do, you will keep getting what you get.
Pros
salary and benefits
Cons
cliques and district politics
Unethical management
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rochester Public SchoolsJune 10, 2016
Middle management and mid-level administration is going unchecked with great power for unethical practice. Employees are being "walked out" without due process or cause.
Pros
Coworkers, pay
Cons
Toxic, unethical middle management in early childhood
unsupportive administration, bullying at Gage Elementary, EBD kids
Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 25, 2016
I wouldn't recommend.. Not a healthy work climate at Gage.Bullied by supervisors, principal Jared.No mentoring.Co workers inflexible and unwilling too put students first. Scary with lock downs and extreme emotionally disordered students.
Pros
Compensated adequate when in professional building Mayo HS
Cons
high case loads, high turn over
Okay Job for base level custodial work.
Assistant Custodial Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 4, 2016
For a starting job in a maintenance field its not bad. hours can be rough with either early morning start times to late evening work times. Most staff are friendly and kind. Unfortunately management is very poor. Communication between employees and departments was sketchy. There willingness to properly staff sites appeared very unwilling. Boss told me as i applied for a transfer to a different building that pay in Rochester for this work was rather low compared to surrounding areas.
Pros
friendly work environment, ok pay
Cons
management and communication very poor.
Great pay and important work.
Mental Health Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJune 5, 2015
Working with students on their social skills was truly rewarding.
This was somewhat of a pilot project as I understand it. There initially was very little support and guidance for what was expected. My immediate Co-Workers were great.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Poor communication and follow through.
Fun but hard work
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJune 1, 2015
A typical day consisted of unloading palettes, cataloging the books and materials, and boxing materials up to ship out to the schools. My coworkers were all very friendly, though over time there were less of them. The hardest thing about the job was probably all the heavy lifting that went into it.
Pros
Flexible hours, friendly coworkers
Cons
Felt a bit understaffed at times
Over all a great career starter
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNMay 21, 2015
The typical day was spent developing schedules, hiring staff, analyzing client hour usage, and doing payroll. I learned how to work well with colleagues, and have effective communication. Setting priorities and managing my time was a skill that was gained. Management at the time was a huge issue, and wanted to micro manage. However, management has now changed. I had awesome co workers who had the best interest of clients at heart. Working with the staff and clients was the best part of the job. The hardest part of the job was having to let staff go, and finding coverage when staff would call in at the last minute.
Pros
Pto
Cons
no benefits
Amazing job
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 31, 2015
I would work with children all day long, and just the amount of appreciation received from the children made my day of helping worth it.
Pros
the children
Cons
some substitutes
I love working with children.
Early Childhood Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 5, 2015
Most enjoyable part is that you work with the children. The hardest part was when I started the job . There was no training and you were expected to be the expert how to handle a defiant child. There are up and down moments but I always look at the bright side to make the work enjoyable.
Pros
Summer break
Cons
Can not afford the health insurance coverage if you work less that 30 hrs per week