Rochester Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

Unethical management
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rochester Public SchoolsJune 10, 2016
Middle management and mid-level administration is going unchecked with great power for unethical practice. Employees are being "walked out" without due process or cause.
Pros
Coworkers, pay
Cons
Toxic, unethical middle management in early childhood
unsupportive administration, bullying at Gage Elementary, EBD kids
Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 25, 2016
I wouldn't recommend.. Not a healthy work climate at Gage.Bullied by supervisors, principal Jared.No mentoring.Co workers inflexible and unwilling too put students first. Scary with lock downs and extreme emotionally disordered students.
Pros
Compensated adequate when in professional building Mayo HS
Cons
high case loads, high turn over
Okay Job for base level custodial work.
Assistant Custodial Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 4, 2016
For a starting job in a maintenance field its not bad. hours can be rough with either early morning start times to late evening work times. Most staff are friendly and kind. Unfortunately management is very poor. Communication between employees and departments was sketchy. There willingness to properly staff sites appeared very unwilling. Boss told me as i applied for a transfer to a different building that pay in Rochester for this work was rather low compared to surrounding areas.
Pros
friendly work environment, ok pay
Cons
management and communication very poor.
Great pay and important work.
Mental Health Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJune 5, 2015
Working with students on their social skills was truly rewarding.
This was somewhat of a pilot project as I understand it. There initially was very little support and guidance for what was expected. My immediate Co-Workers were great.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Poor communication and follow through.
Over all a great career starter
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNMay 21, 2015
The typical day was spent developing schedules, hiring staff, analyzing client hour usage, and doing payroll. I learned how to work well with colleagues, and have effective communication. Setting priorities and managing my time was a skill that was gained. Management at the time was a huge issue, and wanted to micro manage. However, management has now changed. I had awesome co workers who had the best interest of clients at heart. Working with the staff and clients was the best part of the job. The hardest part of the job was having to let staff go, and finding coverage when staff would call in at the last minute.
Pros
PTO
Cons
no benefits
Amazing job
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 31, 2015
I would work with children all day long, and just the amount of appreciation received from the children made my day of helping worth it.
Pros
the children
Cons
some substitutes
I love working with children.
Early Childhood Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 5, 2015
Most enjoyable part is that you work with the children. The hardest part was when I started the job . There was no training and you were expected to be the expert how to handle a defiant child. There are up and down moments but I always look at the bright side to make the work enjoyable.
Pros
summer break
Cons
can not afford the health insurance coverage if you work less that 30 hrs per week
Best Place to Work
Bilingual Specialist/Migrant Liaison (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJune 25, 2014
My time at Rochester Public Schools was wonderful. I learned so much and met lifelong friends. Teachers, support staff and administrators. It did not feel like work, although there were busy times during conferences and other events.The students made it all worth while.
Pros
great benefits, support from district, flexible, lots of training
Good Insights
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMay 12, 2014
I was paraprofessional in two High Schools. I had several different assignments from outdoor smoking monitor, parking lot supervision to hall monitor. I enjoyed the youth a great deal. However the role I had was less that satisfying for me. It was also a part time position that ended from management direction. As a paraprofessional you are a go between from management to kids to teachers. In a lot of ways it was invigorating. But mostly it was just watching for problems, delivering messages, keeping order, and intervening when problems occurred. It was good to see the public schools from this perspective.
Pros
steady work
Cons
impersonal outsider feel
Company with advancement
Guidance Secretary (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 7, 2014
Was a gret healthcare setting. Teamwork was a must and needed to work together to get things accomplished. Management could use some tips on leadership qualities.
the work is great, most of the people are great, but the politics & the good old boyisum is bad.
Electrical Foreman/Master Electrician (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMay 1, 2013
you pick-up the work-order then leave to go do the work. I learned to not trust co-workers if you work for a boss that promotes spying and back stabbing to stay informed. That is the hardest part of the job. I really enjoyed the work and most of the people.
very poor management
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNApril 12, 2013
Principals single teachers out for harassment and firing.
Very poor discipline in schools.
No administrative back up for schools
my principal was a bully
Pros
good pay
Cons
no admin support for teachers
Great environment and working conditions
secretary (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MIApril 30, 2012
I hadn't worked much with the Rochester schools, although the time I did it was a pleasant place to work. The person's job that I had filled in for was well organized and easy to follow. I was able to work independently with no problems whatsoever.
Pros
great school system
Cons
on call/not permanent work
Great area, great people, wonderful working conditions.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Rochester MIJanuary 8, 2012
I truly cannot comment much for the Rochester Public Schools. I worked as a contingent with the Board of Education and only worked for a short while once we moved into our new home. Then shortly after I had my little girl and no longer worked. Although, the short time I did work I was given a long term assignment, which I appreciated rather than being called everyday for odds and ends jobs. The people were great, the human resource department was very accommodating. I would love to be part of their team once, again.
Pros
close to home
Cons
none that i can think of

2.8