Rock Tenn Company Employee Reviews

So glad I'm not there anymore
Glue line operator (Former Employee) –  Conway, AROctober 6, 2013
I worked for RockTenn 12 hr night shift for 13 years. I was a glue line operator with a production record on my machines that was either #1 or #2 in the plant. I had NO negative job performance evaluations nor any customer complaints. A complaint was filed against me that upon reworking the job we discovered evidence that the customer was at fault not us. The customer rejected this because of numerous other quality complaints that year from all across the spectrum claiming a loss of faith in our facilities management and it's ability to maintain its contractual obligation to customer satisfaction thru quality. The customer demanded that management do something to show they were commited to quality. Their answer to appease the customer was to trump up a perseption of me of questionable quality ethics and fire me. Management had always said quality first but had always made desisions to run questionable quality products with the hope of being able to slip it by the customers notice. This resulted in a culture in management where they were more interested in getting product out the door and less interested in customer satisfaction. They work 12 hr shifts. They do not give sick leave or excuse absence from work unless FMLA is approved by a third party company that only management can deal with. They only give 4 days a year of vacation and that can only be taken subject to approval. Every poor management decision is blamed on the production personell. It is a company that has grown to fast in recent years and is headed for a serious down fall soon. They do pay very good but the money  more... isn't worth all the times my family had to sacrifice just so I could keep that job. I'm very happy this happened as it has been the best thing that could have.  less
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
Horrible place to work!
Operator (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, IndianaApril 25, 2015
I am looking for another job at the moment but I would discourage anyone with a family of working here because it's mandatory 6-7 days a week. I have worked here for 5 years and everyday it gets worse! The management is highly inappropriate with the way they deal with situations and the language they choose to use. There is no respect and they care little for opinion! There is also way to much drama that is never taken care of properly because the management is Horrible. The job is easy and the pay isn't bad but you work a lot because they never have the machines operating properly and can't ever seem to fix them. On another note I make as much as someone that has been there a year because they decided to up the pay but only up people's pay that weren't getting the new pay rate, so all my raises were for nothing. The raises suck also and they give everyone across the board 3% of what you make, that means it matters nothing if you are a bad worker or a good one because we all get the same raise!
Pros
Pay is decent and the job is easy
Cons
You work everyday and management is inappropriate
A business that does not operate by the rules and standards that are stated.
Operations (Former Employee) –  Solvay, NYMarch 9, 2015
Rock Tenn seems like a great company from the outside, as well as when you first start your employment. The longer you are there though. The more you find it to be an environment of unsafe practices and run to failure by management. It is more of a culture of hiding safety and operational concerns. That production takes precedence over all else, no matter what the cost is. Both HR and management do their jobs at the opposite end of what their job titles are defined as.Leaving you with an "you vs. them" mentality. If you see a job opening with this company. You are better off to move along to something else.
Pros
good pay and benefits.
Cons
run to failure mentality, lack of communication, unsupportive management, management operates under the "good ol boy" thought process.
Terrible is an understatement.......
Market Analyst (Former Employee) –  Creve CouerMarch 5, 2014
The workload is extreme, deadlines are ridiculous, management does not care about work/life balance as their is none and your home life will suffer. Expect long hours everyday and working on the weekends. Management also has no idea what it actually takes to do the job and does want to know, they just want the results. You are constantly given incomplete information to start with and if you question anything from your supervisor you can expect to be yelled at or talked to in a derogatory manner to which nothing will done about from his superiors and/or the HR dept. The work environment here is one of the worst I have ever seen and the moral could not get any lower among the employees.
Pros
pay/benefits is better than some
Cons
management, workload, atmosphere, basically this whole company
RockTenn = No Life
floor employee (Former Employee) –  LewisburgAugust 22, 2013
Great pay but thats about the only good thing that can be said.. constant 12 hr days, no respect for your personal life. 5 mins from end of shift supervisor will randomly notify you that you have to stay 4 more hours. Its a constant "we need more out of you" or "dont complain about the hours thats why we pay you good". Cant ever make life plans. Absolute worse job ive ever had! Im far from lazy and enjoy working and doing a good job but RockTenn has sucked the life out of me until I'm a walking Zombie.
If your single with no kids and no life it may be the job for you, otherwise id steer clear.
Pros
pay
Cons
hours of work, very hot, managment is absolutely awful
WORST JOB EVER!
production (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIDecember 11, 2014
While there could be potential with this company, the management ruins nearly every good aspect of being employed here. Horrible working conditions, and trust me you will never do anything good enough or fast enough. Managers should be down right ashamed of themselves for treating employees like they do. I would not wish this job on my worst enemy, however if working your life away and being treated like a slave are your thing then feel free.
Pros
nothing
Cons
demoralizing and pathetic management. worthless union.
bad place to work
forming department (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, IndianaNovember 20, 2014
Never get time off! Very unorganized, dirty, management is worth less, employees are rude! A lot of drama! Machines are old and run like carp! Very poor work enviorment! Always running like a dog. The supervisors are pervs! Tech's can't Ever fix anything they blame it on u! This place is horrible to work for. People steal lunches tools what ever you let lay around they will take. Take my advice it's not worth the stress on Your family or body! If pay sucks after all UR taxes are taking out.
Pros
pay check
Cons
no life
Productive Oriented
Glue Line Operator (Former Employee) –  Conway, ARMay 6, 2013
I would prepare crew and machine for that day's production run. I would enter the run in the computer and start up machine. If there is a machine failure I would make any repairs in a timely fashion to continue production run. Trying to get the most production out of the machine was the hardest and most enjoyable part of the job. In order to accomplish this, I have learned that it takes more than your average patience and good work ethics. It takes great co-workers and team work.
productive
padlock er opersyor (Former Employee) –  Conover, NCJanuary 27, 2015
Worked for this company for 11 years as a padlock er operater. When they purchased 2 robot arms, I was fired, stating I made a bad barcode. This company is a " good Ole boys" company and treats associates like they were puppets on their string. Seen supervisors that had been there for 20 plus years get demoted simply because they were aging and wanted them to quit. Management sucks. If you are not willing to brown nose, you will not succeed at this company.
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad management
Absolutely Horrible
Former Project Team Member (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 20, 2013
Unfortunately for Rock-Tenn, keeping on employees who were a part of the failed bankrupt companies which were acquisitions has built a non-diversity culture of extreme favoritism that is clouded by people fearing for their jobs. Management is more politically driven than productive, the company is headed for a serious downfall.
Pros
salary
Cons
extreme management, culture & training disparities
fast paced never ending work load
Machine Operator Assistant (Current Employee) –  spartanburg, scJuly 31, 2015
Rock-Tenn is a good company to work for it has its pros and cons like every work place does the management is all right the co-workers all seem to get along pretty well together the work is not hard just constant... it beats being board at work though. Over all I would say its a good job with exceptional standards towards safety, product quality, and production.
Not a good place to work
Admin (Former Employee) –  Southeast regionJune 6, 2015
Management is sneaky and underhanded, and gets worse the higher up the chain you go. Morals are nonexistent. Expect to sell your soul in order to get preferential treatment. No work/life balance. Pay is good but something has to be in order to keep the employees from leaving. Core beliefs are a joke, especially "trust and respect".
Pros
You do get to go home at some point
Cons
Everything but the paycheck
Terrible management. No consideration for family life.
Machine operator (Current Employee) –  Winton Salem Corrugated ; Winston Salem, NCMay 2, 2015
Long hours. No breaks on certain jobs. Unethical management: make rules up as they go. Have some great employees, but they are not allowed.to have any input or say about jobs that they perform daily. Have no quality guidelines. Production is priority over safety at all times.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No breaks. Unethical.
Pay is the only good thing about this company
Operator (Former Employee) –  Hopewell, VaMarch 23, 2014
7+ straight days of 12 to 16 hour days. You can't plan anything in your life except to work. Management is horrible and is concerned about nothing but production numbers.
Pros
pay
Cons
no personal life, long hours, no breaks, poor management, too much more to list.
Powder Keg.
Ex Employee (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 19, 2015
I would not want to be there the day they push somebody too far. Approach you with no respect, then hide behind their jobs like a bunch of cowards.
Pros
wages were just "O.K.
Cons
Disrespectful, abrasive, belligerant management, no work/life balance. Demands way out of touch with reality.
Terrible
Technician (Former Employee) –  DevensJuly 24, 2013
Hot as hell.
hours were terrible (12hrs X 7 day weeks)
nobody wanted to train me.
company didn't want to allow downtime for preventative maintenance.
minimum cleaning.
overall the worst job I ever had.
couldn't wait to leave.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
Worst place in the world to work
Assistant machine operator (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GaMarch 5, 2015
Bad company to work for 15 minute lunch breaks, very low pay, lots of Hispanics
Poor management, this job taught me how to complain a lot and to hate waking up in the
Mornings for work
Cons
15 min lunch breaks
worst company i have ever worked for
stacke/hogger (Former Employee) –  athens,alSeptember 9, 2014
Horrible place to work.they don't care about your family life no leadership one of the worst jobs that I have ever had
Cons
management sucked, no personal time, just not a good place to work
Tier 2 Help Desk
Client System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAOctober 5, 2013
This company is the epitome of a "Good Ol' Boy" network. The company hierarchy is totally devoid of diversity! I felt like I was in an IT VERSION of the movie "The Help".
Pros
good pay & benefits
Terrible place to work at.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Conover, NCJanuary 19, 2015
Nothing fun about working here, Very harsh environment. Not treated well at all.
Pros
glad i don't work here anymore!!
Cons
i'd rather be doing time at alcatraz

1.5