Rocketship Education Employee Reviews

Stressful
Individualized Learning Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 17, 2017
I have been at Rocketship for 6 years and I loved the mission and the means. During these years the network has changed a lot. Some changes have been beneficial and I feel like a lot are not. I love the people I work with and the families I work with but it is way to stressful and underpaid for all the work we do.
Pros
Excellent Resources, Great staff culture
Cons
Underpaid, no work life balance
Great Place to work
Individualized Learning Specialist Lead (Current Employee) –  Redwood City, CASeptember 26, 2017
Really enjoy interacting with the students. I really learned to be patient with others, and understand students with different needs. We are always learning, and being coached on how we can grow as an individual to better the class.
n/a
Individualized Learning Specialists (Former Employee) –  TennesseeJune 23, 2017
ill miss the students and preston.
Amazing teachers without enough praise or recognition.
Ill be praying for a better school year.
Kids deserve so much better from their principal
Kindergarten STEM Teacher
Kindergarten Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 11, 2017
This position has really challenged the way in which I approach education. Creating a positive mindset in a job in which it is easy to focus on the stress took practice. The outcome however, really made the hours of work with students, parents, and preparation worth it. Seeing my student's growth within a year made my many efforts worth it. This job requires a lot of patience and helps you figure out in which areas you can grow professionally.
Pros
Supportive staff/teams, great health benefits, amazing professional culture
Cons
Long preparation time
Stressful place to work
Elementary Longterm Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 25, 2017
My background is with school districts not charter school systems. This was a mismatch for me. The hours are extremely long even for a substitute position. The schools are very small for the number of students present. The number of days for PD's are much more than a traditional district. Vacation time is less because of this.
Pros
friendly people, healthcare
Cons
top-down management with little professional trust
Not a great work place very unorganized
Recess Aide (Former Employee) –  Nashville-Davidson, TNApril 29, 2017
Not a great place to work. Attitudes never knew how to talk to kids parents very dysfunctional work place. I have never in all my 34 years seen a work in place like that in my life,
Do Not Believe the HYPE!!!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Nashville-Davidson, TNJanuary 3, 2017
Rocketship is a California based company that has expanded to Nashville...and let's just say they have NO clue as to how to accommodate the different demographics.Leadership in both the network and school levels is far-removed, inconsistent, and incompetent. They win you over with high compensation, and the promise of support/coaching but this is totally erroneous. There is no structured discipline, which allows children to run a muck!! And definitely no real investment in the children because the turn-over rate is like nothing I've ever seen. In 3 years of opening this school has had to replenish over half the staff each year with people steadily leaving. Apply at your own risk!!!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Poor Leadership, no work/family balance
Teachers not a priority
STEM Educator (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 7, 2015
At Rocketship, there is a lot said about teacher retention, but with demanding hours and goals, little is done.

The demands of the "Network" are put heavily on administrators who in turn must convey these demands to their teachers and staff, creating a toxic environment at times.
Mission driven. Smart, dedicated co-workers.
Communications Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJanuary 26, 2013
Education is a complicated, sometimes messy and completely thankless work. Rocketship isn't the silver bullet to closing the achievement gap, but it's moving us closer in a better, more equitable way.

Hard work for those that can manage. Long hours.

Extremely smart teachers and staff. Heavy recruitment from the Ivy's, top public universities and Teach for America.

Rocketship is very data-driven. If you're not bringing it, they'll make sure you do. The stakes are too high to not.

Lots of great things about Rocketship, yet striking that healthy work/life balance is not easy. But such is life.
Pros
professional development, fun co-workers
Cons
no real breaks, long hours
energetic and fun work environment with many young students
Response to Intervention Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 9, 2013
A typical day of work was actually quite routine; there is a whole ritual the students are used to because the after-school program was an extension of their daily routine. Students gathered in a circle, had a snack, an activity, recite their creed, and then get dismissed to go off into their smaller groups. I taught two groups of four students every week after school and tutored literacy to help the students read at grade level. The co-workers were mostly college-aged students and were very fun to work with. The hardest part of the job was having to plan individualized lesson plans for each class weekly, and sometimes the students would have behavioral problems. The most enjoyable part of the job was the rewarding feeling one receives after seeing your students improve reading levels and having a proud look on their faces.
Pros
great kids, fun environment
Cons
not a lot of hours