RockTenn Employee Reviews

A great place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCMarch 22, 2017
Shift work , at a corrugated box plant. Overseen production on 3 machines, check orders to make sure everything was in spec. I worked with alot of great people. That is what i missed the most
Pros
Paid uniforms and boots
Good pay/benefits, poor management, difficult work conditions
Two Color Die Cutter Flexo Operator (Former Employee) –  Rogers, AR 72756March 13, 2017
Rock Tenn's pay and benefits offered for the job are satisfactory, but management is not good. The management team yells and cusses at their employees on a daily basis and the work conditions are horrible. The employees work 12 hour days 6 days a week and during the summer, the plant is at least 150 degrees with no fans available to help with the heat. Employees have had heat stroke because of the conditions. Opportunities for advancement are not available either. Several times I was promised supervisor opportunities but this never happened.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Horrible work environment, management
Poor working conditions
Assistant Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Milpitas, CAMarch 12, 2017
Be ready to work in cold and hot conditions. Greta pay and overtime pay. They push you to work as hard as you can and always want more and more out of you. Great pay with great overtime.
Pros
pay and overtime
Cons
poor working conditions
Great work place
CREW LEADER (Former Employee) –  Lithia Springs, GAMarch 9, 2017
Really like working with them as long as you go to work they will keep you working I have been working with them a long time I cant say any thing bad about them when someone give you a job what can you say
Pros
CLOSE TO HOME
Cons
SHORT BREAKS
Same as Corpak
Bobst machine operator (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, INMarch 3, 2017
This is the same company as Corpak and Westrock. Many similarities even in management. Very demanding at work with little time for kids and family.
Pros
goood pay
Cons
little time at home.
It was a very good place to work but unfortunately it shut down.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, MA 02048February 26, 2017
I had a very good experience with RockTenn. The work place was enjoyable, the hardest part of the job was setting up the machines. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work in a good environment with good coworkers.
Pros
work environment
Cons
N/A
No family time
Converting Production Lead (Former Employee) –  Germantown, WI 53022February 14, 2017
No family time work long hours (12hrs Monday to Saturday) with no overtime
No appreciation
Poor management
Lots of poor new hires
Good benefits
Lots of people leaving
Benefits
Cons
No family time, poor management, no appreciation
the best job I ever had
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  AlabamaFebruary 13, 2017
I worked as unloader and a machine operator at Rock Tenn. The pay was decent and the hours were well. The job required me to pack and load by a time frame on a daily basis.
Great for work experience, Poor for internal advancement
Senior Category Manager (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAFebruary 11, 2017
RockTenn now known as WestRock provides plenty of challenging projects (which is great) without much consideration for work-life balance of the employees (which is highly unfortunate). Great for workaholics. That said, even the best achievers do not get recognized or appreciated and there is little to no career advancement within the company.

They compensate slightly better than average in the market, which they tout to make up for the shortcomings listed above.

As the company has dramatically grown over the past 10 years, the culture has gotten worse. It used to be very people oriented (which is what made it so successful) and now they seems to have forgotten the recipe of success.

Sr. Leaderhip is quite impressive team but as the company grew it seems that they have gotten far away from the roots and the people that continue to make them successful.
Pros
Salary and number of diverse and challenging projects to be engaged on
Cons
Poor work-life balance, Not so great IT infrastructure
a good place to work with ee recognition!
Supervisor/ Operator (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 11, 2017
I have enjoyed being a part of a life changing experience. I have been able to have a good friendly relations with people throughout my career. Job skills have advanced in all fields, from trouble=shooting to increasing productivity.
Pros
Yearly Raises
Cons
Last minute order changes
Finishing and Packing
Finisher (Former Employee) –  Jasper, TNFebruary 9, 2017
Observed and monitored products. kept all areas clean. Night shift was the hardest part. Working with other people.managerment was very involved.
Pros
learned new skills
Cons
downtime
Long hours and good pay
Preventive maintenance for quality inspection (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCFebruary 8, 2017
This position provided the ability to program dating and pricing codes in machines, set-up lines to package, process for delivery to major retail corporations.
Pros
Learned skills in programming machinery
Cons
Hours were difficult, 3:30pm-2:00am
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 29, 2017
Productive work place,good place to work if you like hard work,fast easy job,good environment,great people,fun job,gets kind of dusty and dirty
Benefits
Cons
Health care
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, INJanuary 28, 2017
Very fast phased environment to work with.people are great and everybody is busy with their own machines.the hardest part of the day is on break time because you will be feeding the machine and pack at the sametime.
Pros
Free chocolate
Cons
Even with medical certificate from the doctor they will point you out
Exciting place to work
SAP Master Data Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILJanuary 23, 2017
Opportunities present themselves if you are willing to put in the work. Fast paced environment where there is always something new to learn. Pay could be a bit better.
its an ok place to work,
LINE MAN (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAJanuary 21, 2017
Rock Tenn is not the best job but it pays okay. Most days some workers don't want to work as hard,or as much as everyone else. The supervisor was humble and funny a times.
Pros
good pay
Cons
lack of help during working hrs.
Enjoyed my time...
Customer Service Manager, Production Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 9, 2017
I enjoyed my time at the RockTenn Cincinnati Mill...I came from a retail management background and the management and workforce were all great in helping my advance in my career.
It was a okay place to work for the pay
Forklift Operator Front end loader (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 6, 2017
A typical day for me consisted of spotting rail cars finding a supervisor to see which car recive what kind of baled material which could consist of newspaper,occ,magazines,ppe,etc...while weighing every bale I guess doing this everyday was ok everything else sucks no team players pay was horrible 10 cent raise every year supervisors we're fair it's just workers ran the plant telling bosses what they ain't gone do the place just wasn't organized I guess looking back now we got paid what we were worth
Pros
Safety lunches safety awards Walmart gift cards
Cons
To many bosses not enough supervisors pay scale whack
Poor supervisors
Assistant Operator (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 6, 2017
Excellent workers, but emphasis on production numbers create a hostile environment. Employees spend too much time worried about getting in trouble, i.e afraid to go use the bathroom. Supervisors are not to be found, unless to cover their behinds. Cliques have developed between department and refuse to help each other.
excellent company
Leadman/Foreman (Current Employee) –  Latta, SCDecember 22, 2016
This has been a rewarding and challenging company to work for in which I have had a great career with. You will learn your most rewarding lessons from leading people. The calvary isn't coming... We are the calvary!
Pros
good pay and benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RockTenn. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9