Rockwell Collins Employee Reviews

A Day In the Life At Rockwell Collins
Principal Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 5, 2016
When I arrived at Rockwell Collins they had new management wanting new and fresh perspectives into it's sales force. For a company based in Cedar Rapids, IA, it was a moment open to attract not the best and brightest but talent which reflected its customer base. There was a big push on diversity and that is when I joined the company. It was a lot of fun to work the company in those days. As part of the national sales force we were hungry to take market share from our competitors. We stretched the boundaries of the company's decades old culture but sales and profits grew. Then they got a VP of Sales who reflected more the old culture and things changed. One by one guys like me left the company. I was one of the last of the group hired during the expansion period to go. Looking at the top leadership today it is reflected of those who grew up and advanced in their limited culture.
Pros
Pay Benefits
Cons
Lack of Diversity, Stale Company Culture
Decent company overall. Good ol boys club environment and work inefficiency gets old though
Electrical Enginner (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 1, 2016
Decent place to work. Work life balance is up to the individual. People there are generally pretty nice. Occasionally you run in the "big fish in a small pond" person which is common in cities in the Midwest. Advancement isn't always the greatest because of the Good ol Boys Club mentality there. Management can be overbearing at times. There seems to be many extra layers of management which can get pretty inefficient when trying to accomplish simple things. Pays well however you earned it by dealing with a lot of fluff which can be stressful at times. This type of environment is common amount places that have government involvement. Regulation, paperwork galore! Overall it's still a good place to work.
Pay and Benefits are the only reason to work here.
Utility Custodian (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IADecember 7, 2016
This company used to be a great place to work until they became top heavy in upper management. The company makes cuts in staffing due to gross over-spending on image rather than updating the most important aspect of the business, production.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Cut-throat mentality of the managerial staff
Great environment and diverse group.
Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Wilsonville, OROctober 18, 2016
Rockwell has been a great company to work for with benefits that balance personal life and work life. There is a diverse culture here with people who have experience or knowledge in multiple areas and is utilized to everyone's advantage.
Pros
Alternate off Fridays, benefits, flexible hours for personal needs.
Advancement -Don't expect it!
Sr. Electronics Tech III (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 3, 2016
Upper management has many people in the wrong positions. Your job title does not mean anything. Degree people is not recognized. They place the needs of personnel where areas our weak by helping in the progression for the next project scope.
Benefits
Cons
Upper Management Power struggle, advancement opportunities
On the cusp of advanced technology
Sr. Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 16, 2016
Typical days are fast paced with demanding schedules. Little to no tool training create employee hardship. Employees are highly skilled, personable, and embrace teamwork. Site managers refusal to communicate honest forecasts and continued blame of upper management created atmosphere of gross mistrust of job security. Enjoyed accountability without micromanagement.
Pros
Pleasant work environment
Cons
Deceptive "building trust everyday" slogan does not apply to employees
Good place to work - could be better
Sr. Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 5, 2016
The company is good to start your career. The ethics in the company is great value. The management is usually very motivating and supporting for career growth. The compensation is not par to the market place.
Fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLOctober 27, 2016
Working at Rockwell Collins is a great place to work. This company offers comparable benefits and opportunity to advance within. Rockwell Collins has a very family like work environment. They are very involved with the community and do everything they can to help their employees be successful in their careers and personal life.
Pros
A company that does what they say they will do
Cons
Healthcare
Fun Place to Work
Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 18, 2016
They treat employees like grown-ups. They share information with employees, listen to their ideas (or better yet, actively seek out and act upon their ideas) and assume they are responsible enough to manage their own time.

• They treat people fairly. They pay people decently and give them good benefits, including not only decent healthcare but other even rarer essentials, like paid parental leave. And they use lay-offs as a last resort.

• They help employees with their careers and understand that not all careers are built the same. They have strong training programs, reimburse tuition for education outside of work, have active, well-thought out platforms for mentoring—especially for women and minorities—and provide pathways for non-traditional career paths.

• They understand that people have lives outside of work, and that these lives might sometimes impinge on (or even take over) their time and attention. They realize that allowing for some work-life give and take means not only that they won’t waste time and money on unnecessary turnover, but that they’ll build loyalty and commitment. They know it’s give and take, not give or take.

• They see fun, humor and relaxation not as the enemies of hard work, but as its allies.
Good pay
Assembly Operator (Former Employee) –  Manchester, IAOctober 23, 2016
Good place to work but they layoff alot. Hard to get many years in, People are very easy to work with. Company has been around for many years and is very fare with employees, Yearly raises. Good 401k match program, Good work environment.
Pros
Flex hours
Cons
layoff
Learned a lot but processes are a nightmare
Sr. Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Wilsonville, ORDecember 5, 2016
Great products and good employees and local management. Insane level of processes with a lot of repetition and poor data management. Upper management is not very aware of what all needs to be fixed and when they do know the process to change the process is ridiculously long. I didn't see anything change the entire time I worked their.
Pros
Good hours, great coworkers and local management
Cons
Company leadership is very slow to get anything done.
great place to work and learn
Test Operator (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLMarch 24, 2016
A set pace, with a daily goal to reach everyday. A fun but professional atmosphere. Always an opportunity to learn and grow. Management always has an open door with good communication. The hardest part of my job I would have to say is nothing the processes that we have are made to make it a easy flowing as far as the build side maybe the part shortage from time to time but other than that the trouble shooting on the test side of things might get a little difficult at times as well. The most enjoyable part of my job I would say is the feeling that I am making a difference whether it be improving quality or the flow of a process but the sense of achievement you get especially when you hear live feed back from customers and upper management.
Pros
the benefits over all
Cons
Don't really see any
Typical Big Company
Customer Service Engineer/ Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAFebruary 17, 2016
The Benefits were great, but the management and bureaucracy left things stagnant and feeling like things would never change for the better. In my position there wasn't much opportunity to advance as the leadership was very entrenched. The Hardest part of the job was answering phone calls with no support documentation and no one to even teach you how to troubleshoot the equipment. no manuals or if they were there they were very limited.
Pros
Shift work differential
Cons
no advancement and no proper training.
A solid company with excellent compensation and benefits
Program Manager, APQP Implementation (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 9, 2016
Rockwell Collins is a very solid company that primarily does business in the aerospace and defense industry. The people that work there are top-notch, and the compensation is excellent, particularly in the geographic location of their home base.
Pros
Compensation, paid time-off, co-worker expertise
Free to do my job
SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDNovember 30, 2016
I am able to come into work, do my job, assist where needed and then go home.

I work well with my co-workers when I need or when they need me. Its a very diverse group.

My job is always a learning experience as it is so dynamic in its nature, so this is not only the hardest part, but also the most enjoyable.
Pros
Pays the bills
Cons
No room for advancement, pay scale is subject to interpretation instead of your work.
A company in the death spiral
Manager (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 20, 2016
A company stuck in the 1950's - word and deed do not match and they are driven and controlled from the top and the top is completely disconnected from the reality of what is going on in the organization.
Pros
People in the heart of the organization are good people, who are trying to do the right thing in spite of senior leadership and the culture
Cons
Management, the culture (command and control) - no real desire to change
Electrical Engineer II who loves his job!
Electrical Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJune 28, 2016
I love what I do working for Rockwell Collins. It's the kind of job only hoped to get while in school. Management is great, they have my back and care about my career track.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
pay
Rockwell Collins
Senior Customer Account Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJanuary 8, 2017
Management is supportive and open minded. The company is one of the top ethically rated companies in the country. Teams are often reorganized with little input from team members.
Great company, but very business environment dependent
Senior Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLNovember 14, 2016
This is a great company to work for. Very challenging yet enjoyable work. I was rescued in forced due to a bad business jet environment, so job security is lacking.
review
Individual Contributor (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 5, 2016
RC is a typical A&D company - great technology but it moves slow. The CEO is trying to change the culture of the company. Continued focus on empowerment is needed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rockwell Collins. Our community is ready to answer.